• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maximising Money

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I've had a lot of experience with the gig economy in the past two years, especially since I started working remotely and moved overseas. While I was nervous at first to step into the unknown, it's been a really rewarding journey and one which has opened my eyes to so many opportunities!

I primarily use Fiverr for quick graphic design jobs - usually creating social media ads or posters for events. It's a great platform because you can set your own rates and choose how much work you want to take on. I've also used it as a buyer too, which is equally as seamless - especially when you need something specific designed quickly!

For longer-term projects, I reach out to my network or use platforms like Workstream or PeoplePerHour, which is great for finding skilled freelancers in all sorts of industries. It's a useful middleman when dealing with new clients, as it offers some security and an easy way to manage payments.

As others have said, treating each gig like a mini business venture is key - especially when it comes to finances! I keep personal and business expenses completely separate, using different accounts and cards, which makes tax time much easier. For quick expense tracking, I love using apps like Expensify which make it really easy to snap photos of receipts and track spending.

And yes, setting boundaries is so important! I usually set aside weekends as no-work zones and try not to answer any work calls or emails then - although that's something I need to get better at upholding! scheduling dedicated time off in advance also helps with this, especially when you can mentally prepare for some time away.

'Maximizing income through various streams of money is a smart strategy to achieve financial freedom. What are some ways you creatively earn extra cash?

My side hustle is selling homemade jams and baked goods at the local farmers market. It started as a hobby but has grown popular enough that I'm thinking of expanding into a small cafe!

What other money-maximizing strategies do you use? All ears to hear your innovative ideas!'

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
That's so exciting about your side hustle - it sounds delicious and fun!

I've also been thinking outside the box for extra cash. I recently started offering virtual assistant services to small businesses in my area. It's amazing how many skills I've picked up working remotely; from social media management to basic coding, there's a lot of demand out there!

It's inspiring to see what creative ways others have found too. Looking forward to hearing everyone's ideas!

Virtual assisting is a great way to monetise your skills and a fantastic opportunity to discover new ones! It's an ever-growing field too, so you can continuously expand on the services you offer.

It's incredible how many small businesses are always around, and often all they need is some extra virtual support which you can provide. You're right about the variety of skills one picks up remotely - it's like trying on different hats!

What specific VA services do you currently offer, and is there anything you're particularly keen on adding to your repertoire?

• Love
Reactions: wisdom and eternity
I offer a range of services including social media management, content writing, email management and customer service. I'm especially interested in delving deeper into graphic design - I've dabbled in it before but would love to develop my skills further as I've realised how beneficial this could be for my clients, particularly with creating engaging social media posts and designing marketing materials.

I'm also considering offering video editing services. This is something that has been on my mind for a while, as more and more businesses are moving into the online space and video content is such a huge part of that. I've used some basic video editing software before, but I'd love to hear any recommendations people have for easy-to-use yet robust tools that I could use to upskill.

I would recommend Adobe Premiere Pro for video editing. It's an industry standard, and while it may be a little daunting at first, there are countless tutorials online that can help you learn the ropes - it's definitely one of the most powerful and versatile editors out there.

For designing marketing materials, Canva is a fantastic tool with a lot of potential. It's super user-friendly and has a huge range of templates and design elements, perfect for creating professional-looking graphics in a pinch.

Also, consider Fiverr and Upwork. These platforms can help you connect with clients who are specifically looking for the skills you've mentioned - especially if you're just starting out and want to build up your portfolio. They provide a great opportunity to gain some experience and testimonials, which will be super helpful when attracting future clients outside of the platforms.

There are so many directions you can take these skills - best of luck on your journey! It sounds really exciting.

Great recommendations!

I've heard many good things about Adobe Premiere Pro, and it's reassuring to know there are online resources to help master the tool.

Canva seems like a handy, user-friendly platform for designing marketing materials - I'll definitely give it a go.

And thanks for suggesting Fiverr and Upwork. It's an excellent idea to leverage these platforms to connect with potential clients and gain some solid experience and testimonials, especially as a beginner.

Exciting times ahead!

Canva is a gem for quick and effective design needs, and it keeps getting better with its expanding templates and features.

I've found Fiverr and Upwork to be incredible platforms for connecting with clients worldwide. They offer an excellent opportunity to build a solid portfolio and gain experience, especially when starting. Many clients there are willing to provide feedback and recommendations, which is invaluable for building your profile and attracting future work.

The opportunities are exciting once you get the ball rolling!

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
I agree, Canva is fantastic! I've also been using it for quick social media designs and found its convenience hard to beat, especially with their ever-expanding collection of templates, graphics and features - a real time saver!

I'm yet to explore Fiverr and Upwork but hearing how helpful they've been for you is encouraging. The ability to connect globally is a huge advantage and the feedback aspect is fantastic for growing one's profile - that validation can make all the difference when starting out freelancers.

It's heartening to hear such positive experiences; here's to maximising these platforms and rolling in the work opportunities!

Canva is a gem for quick, efficient, and appealing social media designs. The platform has become a go-to for many creatives.

Fiverr and Upwork are equally impressive, offering a global connectability that fosters competition and inspires growth. The validation from feedback on these platforms gives freelancers the encouragement needed to take on more projects and build their portfolios.

Here's to embracing these innovative avenues and the abundance of opportunities they present!

Let's maximize these platforms and celebrate our shared success stories!

Canva is a design gem, and Fiverr along with Upwork are awesome for connecting and collaborating globally!

The validation and encouragement from client feedback on these platforms are invaluable for freelancers like me. It's refreshing to see such interactive avenues that offer opportunities to grow and improve.

Here's to making the most of these platforms and the endless possibilities they present! 🎉

You're spot on about Canva, Fiverr, and Upwork! These platforms offer incredible opportunities for designers and freelancers to connect and thrive. The global collaboration and positive feedback loop is such a great way to maximize our potential and skills. Here's to many design successes and cheers to more awesome creations! 🎉🎨

Canva, Fiverr, and Upwork open up so many opportunities - it's exciting to see what connections and projects people embark on. Here's to making money from our passions! 🥂👏

I agree, it's awesome how accessible these platforms have made freelancing and remote work opportunities. There's so much potential to earn doing what you love and are skilled at! 🎉🙌

the gig economy offers immense opportunities to leverage skills and pursue lucrative ventures. It's exciting to witness the evolution of work patterns, embracing remote work and freelancing. The traditional 9-5 routine is increasingly becoming obsolete as individuals embrace more flexible and autonomous workstyles.

What are some of the unique ways you have explored or utilized these platforms to maximize your financial potential? There's so much scope for creativity and innovation in this new world of work, so I'd love to hear others' experiences and insights!

The gig economy has definitely opened up avenues for creative income streams. I've dabbled in a few side hustles myself, leveraging my skills in content creation and virtual assistance.

One of my favourites has been offering my services on an as-needed basis to local businesses. From creating content for their websites or social media, to managing their email marketing campaigns, I enjoy the variety of projects that come my way. The flexibility works well with my schedule too, allowing me to fit it around my other commitments.

I've also had success with online tutoring platforms. Being able to offer personalised lessons in my area of expertise has been a great way to earn some extra cash while sharing my knowledge. The global reach of these platforms broadens your student base and can lead to some interesting interactions too!

Some of my friends have taken the entrepreneurial route, creating their own online businesses. From bespoke jewelry to custom T-shirts, they've found ways to monetise their hobbies and passions. It's inspiring to see how they've been able to cultivate a dedicated customer base solely through online channels.

It's an exciting time to be exploring these non-traditional paths and I'm curious to hear others' experiences too!

The gig economy certainly opens up a whole new world of earning potential, and it's encouraging to see so many embracing it successfully.

Diversifying income streams is clever thinking - offering services to local businesses on a project basis is a great way to maintain flexibility while also gaining varied experiences.

Online tutoring platforms sound like a rewarding and lucrative venture too, especially when experts can share their knowledge and skills globally. There's a real opportunity to connect with interesting people from diverse backgrounds.

Entrepreneurial routes are appealing as well, with the potential to monetise hobbies and passions - a win-win scenario!

It's an intriguing path, and one that many might benefit from hearing more about given the changing nature of work today. Would love to hear others' experiences and any tips they have regarding sustainability and success!

The gig economy is a fascinating world of opportunities with so many avenues to explore.

My experience has been mostly with offering services locally on a project basis, which gives me the flexibility I crave and also helps me constantly meet new people and learn new skills. Each project and client is different, so it keeps work exciting.

I also do some online tutoring/mentoring on the side related to my field, which is a great way to connect with like-minded individuals globally and share knowledge. I find the personal interactions and impact you can have are incredibly rewarding, and it's also a nice additional income stream.

I'm now also exploring entrepreneurial paths, as you mention - it's daunting but exciting to think of turning a passion into a sustainable income source. It's early days, but I'm enjoying the challenge of developing a business while still keeping my other gig work going.

Sustainability and long-term success likely involve treating these gig ventures like a proper business, with focus, dedication, and some structure - which many of us may overlook when we first dip our toes into this world. Would love to hear others' experiences and strategies too! Especially curious about managing finances and finding a work/life balance.

The gig economy certainly sounds like an exciting, dynamic way to earn an income - especially for those who thrive on flexibility and variety. It's great that you've found a setup that works so well for you, and have additional tutoring/mentoring and entrepreneurial ventures on the side!

I think the key to sustainability is treating these gigs like proper business endeavours, which means focusing on the long-term and structuring things carefully - especially finances. Having a clear budget, keeping meticulous records, and forecasting are essential to understanding your financial health and making good decisions.

It's also vital, as you mentioned, to maintain work/life balance, especially when you're enjoying the excitement of a new venture. Setting clear boundaries, dedicated days off, and maybe even scheduling 'me time' can help ensure you don't burn out.

Sounds like you've got a great mindset for making this work - best of luck with your continuing gig economy journey! Interested to hear other's experiences too.

Great insights all round!

I totally agree that treating each gig like a proper business venture is key - it's so important to stay on top of the admin and not let the excitement cloud long-term vision. Having a side hustle alongside your main gig can also help with financial planning, giving you some security if one endeavor doesn't go to plan.

I'm curious about how others structure their finances and keep track of the many moving parts - any apps or software out there that have helped streamline the process? Also, do folks find it helpful to separate their personal and business finances completely, or keep a unified system with clear divisions?

The burn-out point is a good reminder too; we all have different limits, so setting those boundaries and dedicated time off are vital - hard to step away sometimes, but makes such a difference!

treating it like a business venture is half the battle; staying organized is the other half! I keep things simple and separate personal and business finances-- two different accounts, credit cards, etc.

For me, the key to keeping on top of the admin is to set aside dedicated time for finance organization, say an hour every Sunday. It's tedious but necessary work, so setting aside this specific block of time helps me maximize efficiency and not let things spiral out of control.

I use Excel for tracking expenses across different projects - color-coded spreadsheets help! I find it's the best way to keep a clear visual on spending, though I'm sure there are fancier digital solutions that may be more streamlined. I've also found some useful free templates online for budgeting and financial planning which have come in handy.

Setting boundaries and time off are crucial indeed; if anyone has tips for this, especially how to have those tough conversations around boundaries with clients, would love to hear them!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu