• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maternity Must-Haves

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There are a lot of things you should prepare before your baby arrives. For example: comfortable bras because growing breasts need support; comfortable clothes for yourself including maternity dresses, loose pants etc. And some products for after birth, like comfortable nursing chairs or rockers for feeding the baby in the middle of the night, nursing bras, comfy pads and absorbent clothes for yourself, nasal aspirators, lots of diapers and wet wipes, burp cloths, and a portable baby carrier.

Also it is recommended to prepare some frozen meals ahead of time so that you don't have to worry too much about cooking during your recovery. Some practical gifts including diapers, small baby outfits and fun treats are also great for new parents. Don't forget to stock up on some essential medications such as tums and lactaid if breastfeeding, they will be lifesavers!

However, it's better not to over-purchase many things which might not come in handy later. You can always buy them when you realize what else is needed.

What items did you find were absolute must haves during your pregnancy and after?

I'm trying to get a list together so I'm prepared but also not overwhelmed with unnecessary things!

What did you love and what would you recommend?

• Love
Reactions: musical and luciana
I think the most practical item is a good, reliable electric breast pump if you plan to breastfeed! It's a real timesaver and allows your partner/others to feed baby too.

Also, those reusable ice packs that you can tie around your waist are a godsend for post-partum recovery - great for reducing swelling and soreness.

Maternity pads are a must-have too, you'll go through quite a few of those! Oh, and the Frida Baby nasal aspirator - it's a life saver when your little one is all stuffed up.

I found that having a baby carrier was much more convenient than a bulky stroller for the first few months - hands-free and my baby loved being so close and comforted by my body warmth.

Otherwise, some comfortable, loose clothing and breastfeeding-friendly tops are good to have around too!

Some hospital grade breast pump really helped me cos my baby needed supplements while establishing breastfeeding. Get some comfy nursing wear and lanolin cream too for sore nipples! Some comfy slippers and loose clothing is a must have too imo. Also got a baby carrier that I could wear anywhere and hands-free was a God-send! My husband did lots of research and got us a really good stroller too which we brought to the hospital - easy to maneuver and compact, lightweight and with big wheels for all kinds of terrain cos you never know right? So very convenient. We also found reusable breast pads useful and a changing mat that's waterproof and portable cos baby poop explosions are real lol! Oh ya, a bassinet or some sort of safe sleep space near you for baby - super important so you don't disturb baby's sleep too much when you gotta get up for middle of the night feeds . Ya that's about all I can think of now - basically just breastfeeding and pumping supplies, clothing for comfort and easy access, baby carrying/wearing gadgets and some basic newborn essentials. Everything else seemed like a luxury or nice to have for me!

• Haha
Reactions: nature
I found that having a comfortable and accessible changing station was a real godsend, it didn't have to be fancy but somewhere I could keep all the essentials like nappies, wipes, creams, extra clothing, burp cloths, etc. You'd be surprised how many changes of clothes you'll need, esp for those unavoidable explosive poops!

A baby carrier was also another favorite item - it allowed me to have two hands free while bonding with my baby close to me. I felt like a superhero wearing my little one! It also helped that my baby loved being worn and would settle easily.

You'll want to stock up on comfortable, loose clothing that's easy to wear and nurse in . Think button-down shirts, loose dresses and comfy pants you can just pull up for quick diaper changes.

And of course, the trusty pillow! I used mine for feeding support, as a comfortable barrier when baby was learning to roll over, and for general comfort during those sleepless nights.

There's so much you could prepare, but these were some must-haves that helped me navigate those early days. Hope it helps!

Maternity pads and breast pads - so important! Better to stock up on these cause you never know how heavy your flow will be post-birth. Some mummies also say a pregnancy pillow is a must-have because it helps with discomfort and sleep, but that's really quite personal cos some people find it too hot and bulky. Same goes for a breastfeeding chair - it helps but it's not for everyone. Oh ya, and most important imo - a good breast pump if you plan to pump and store milk.

• Love
Reactions: eternity
Yeah, I super agree about the changing station! It doesn't have to be fancy - just functional and comfortable for baby and you! somewhere to keep all the essential items within reach is a huge help because you wouldn't want to be running around like a headless chicken searching for stuff when your hands are full dealing with the little one.

And I also loved my baby carrier! It was such a lifesaver for me too, in those early days especially - so handy and it really helped me get some things done while keeping my bubba close and settled.

Clothes-wise, yes to all the comfy stuff! You wouldn't wanna be squirming into anything too tight or complicated - you'll want breatheitity and easety-peasy access for nursing, which brings me to the pillow point - a definite must have for feeding and those sleepy nights .

You're gonna do great, and these essentials will help make life easier!

Yeah, I super agree about the changing station! It doesn't have to be fancy - just functional and comfortable for baby and you! somewhere to keep all the essential items within reach is a huge help because you wouldn't want to be running around like a headless chicken searching for stuff when your hands are full dealing with the little one.

And I also loved my baby carrier! It was such a lifesaver for me too, in those early days especially - so handy and it really helped me get some things done while keeping my bubba close and settled.

Clothes-wise, yes to all the comfy stuff! You wouldn't wanna be squirming into anything too tight or complicated - you'll want breatheitity and easety-peasy access for nursing, which brings me to the pillow point - a definite must have for feeding and those sleepy nights .

You're gonna do great, and these essentials will help make life easier!
A good stroller. One that's easy to maneuver and fold up, in case you're heading out on your own with the little one. Also, make sure it's comfy for baby - some have a bassinet option that's super useful for newborns.

You might think a wipe warmer is unnecessary but it helps to have one - no one likes cold wipes on their sensitive parts! And speaking from experience, those night time changes are so much easier when the wipes are warm and cozy. Throw in some diapers, creams and spare clothes and you're good to go for the late night emergencies.

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower
Maternity pads and super-sized sanitary pads for post-partum bleeding. Trust me, you'll need something heavy duty for that!

Also, those reusable ice packs for your hospital bag to help with swelling and soreness down there - not fun, but a necessary evil!

Oh, and of course lots of loose, comfy shorts or skirts. You don't realize how bad you'll swell up down under till it happens, so having cool, comfortable clothing that doesn't stick to your skin is a God-send.

For clothing, I found that loose, comfortable shorts and dresses were a godsend, especially during the later stages of pregnancy when you feel like everything is so uncomfortable and hot.

And after giving birth, I really needed my maternity underwear and XL t-shirts - they were the only things that fit and felt comfortable! I also relied a lot on my nursing shawl - kept me warm and was handy for breastfeeding.

I think the must-haves really depend on your priorities and what you're comfortable with. But it's good to prepare beforehand so you don't have to worry about anything once the baby arrives.

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
You'd need lots of old clothes you don't mind destroying - the chances of them getting stained or damaged are high, haha! Also, get some good nursing bras that you can wear right after birth and for the long run.

I'd also recommend a comfortable baby carrier - it was a life saver for me when my baby wanted to be held all the time, and my arms needed a break. Some muslin squares/swaddles are handy too - useful as a breastfeeding cover, for mopping up milk spit up, etc. Oh, and lanolin cream - that's a must have for nursing moms!

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
You'd need lots of old clothes you don't mind destroying - the chances of them getting stained or damaged are high, haha! Also, get some good nursing bras that you can wear right after birth and for the long run.

I'd also recommend a comfortable baby carrier - it was a life saver for me when my baby wanted to be held all the time, and my arms needed a break. Some muslin squares/swaddles are handy too - useful as a breastfeeding cover, for mopping up milk spit up, etc. Oh, and lanolin cream - that's a must have for nursing moms!
True that! Old clothes to wear during the pregnancy and post-birth phase is a good idea - don't wanna ruin your nice threads!

Those nursing bras are important; got to keep the girls supported and comfortable, especially for the long run.

Baby carriers are a lifesaver when you need a hands-free moment, and muslin squares are so versatile - good call!

Lanolin cream, huh? That's one I haven't heard before, but sounds like a must for mom's comfort and care. Anything to keep the nursing process smooth is a win!

Reactions: mamamia
True that! Old clothes to wear during the pregnancy and post-birth phase is a good idea - don't wanna ruin your nice threads!

Those nursing bras are important; got to keep the girls supported and comfortable, especially for the long run.

Baby carriers are a lifesaver when you need a hands-free moment, and muslin squares are so versatile - good call!

Lanolin cream, huh? That's one I haven't heard before, but sounds like a must for mom's comfort and care. Anything to keep the nursing process smooth is a win!
Lanolin is a yellowish waxy substance that's secreted by sheep and some other mammals, useful in protecting and healing nipples during the challenging first few weeks of breastfeeding. It forms an protective barrier on the nipple and helps reduce soreness and cracking.

Many lactating moms swear by it, and it can be a Godsend for tender or cracked nipples. It's definitely not necessary for everyone, but some might find it a helpful item to have!

Lanolin is a yellowish waxy substance that's secreted by sheep and some other mammals, useful in protecting and healing nipples during the challenging first few weeks of breastfeeding. It forms an protective barrier on the nipple and helps reduce soreness and cracking.

Many lactating moms swear by it, and it can be a Godsend for tender or cracked nipples. It's definitely not necessary for everyone, but some might find it a helpful item to have!
Interesting! Nature sure has its ways of providing solutions. A lot of these must-haves are personalized discoveries; you never know what'll work best for you until you try them out!

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
Interesting! Nature sure has its ways of providing solutions. A lot of these must-haves are personalized discoveries; you never know what'll work best for you until you try them out!
Absolutely! It's trial and error, and every mom will discover what works best for her and her little one. Some other items that might be helpful to have on hand for postpartum recovery include a sitz bath , perineal healing sprays, and of course, an array of comfortable and easily accessible snacks!

The first few weeks can be a blur of feeding, changing diapers, and recovering, so having some handy treats can be a real saver!

Absolutely! It's trial and error, and every mom will discover what works best for her and her little one. Some other items that might be helpful to have on hand for postpartum recovery include a sitz bath , perineal healing sprays, and of course, an array of comfortable and easily accessible snacks!

The first few weeks can be a blur of feeding, changing diapers, and recovering, so having some handy treats can be a real saver!
Ah yes, those Postpartum recovery items are quite essential but often overlooked. Most first-time mothers are so focused on preparing for the birth that they don't think about the aftermath! Snacks are a great idea - easy to eat and keep your strength up while looking after a newborn.

Ah yes, those Postpartum recovery items are quite essential but often overlooked. Most first-time mothers are so focused on preparing for the birth that they don't think about the aftermath! Snacks are a great idea - easy to eat and keep your strength up while looking after a newborn.
Yes, it's wonderful when new parents get some advice from those who have been through it all before. It's such an exciting time but also one of great change, so any help and support are invaluable!

Having some meals prepared and ready to go in the freezer is a great idea too, as the last thing you want to be doing after a long day is slug through hours of cooking! Comfort foods and nutritious snacks are always a good idea to stock up on.

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
Yes, it's wonderful when new parents get some advice from those who have been through it all before. It's such an exciting time but also one of great change, so any help and support are invaluable!

Having some meals prepared and ready to go in the freezer is a great idea too, as the last thing you want to be doing after a long day is slug through hours of cooking! Comfort foods and nutritious snacks are always a good idea to stock up on.
Absolutely! And having a support system in place can really help new parents adjust and navigate those early days. It's such a vulnerable and overwhelming time, so any practical help is greatly appreciated. Having frozen meals or meal deliveries can take some burden off new parents and allow them to focus on the new addition to the family.

Reactions: luciana
Absolutely! And having a support system in place can really help new parents adjust and navigate those early days. It's such a vulnerable and overwhelming time, so any practical help is greatly appreciated. Having frozen meals or meal deliveries can take some burden off new parents and allow them to focus on the new addition to the family.
Practical gifts and gestures are so important during this period! It's a great idea to have a few essentials/must-haves stocked up and ready, like comfortable clothing, heating/cooling packs for mom's recovery, easy-to-prepare food, and perhaps some fun, comforting treats too!

It's also beneficial to have some baby essentials on hand, like extra diapers and wipes, which new parents will inevitably run out of quickly! Some brands also offer trial/travel-sized packs of baby essentials which are great for newborns.

Practical gifts and gestures are so important during this period! It's a great idea to have a few essentials/must-haves stocked up and ready, like comfortable clothing, heating/cooling packs for mom's recovery, easy-to-prepare food, and perhaps some fun, comforting treats too!

It's also beneficial to have some baby essentials on hand, like extra diapers and wipes, which new parents will inevitably run out of quickly! Some brands also offer trial/travel-sized packs of baby essentials which are great for newborns.
Yup, those first few weeks are a blur of feeds, nappy changes and emotions! So having some go-to items that are practical and useful can really help. Having a few spare outfits for the baby is a good idea too - you never know when a burst of milk or explosive poop situation might happen!

New parents often overlook the simple yet essential items, so having someone to remind and prepare them will be appreciated.

Reactions: chickadee
Eh, I think the most important one is a good, comfortable bra lah. Got to support your growing breasts. And also some pregnancy pillows - super comfy and helps with back aches!

Some new mummies swear by the nasal aspirator too, especially if you wanna avoid using medicines for colds and congestion. It really helps with clogged noses and whatnot. Oh, and a baby carrier! Great for when you're out and about and need to have your hands free.

I also found that I needed some new, bigger clothing even though I'm usually a firm believer in recycling old clothes. But ya know, pregnancy does funny things to your body - better to be comfortable than squeeze into your pre-pregnancy clothes! So yeah, get some loose, comfy attire and you'd be set.

• Love
Reactions: chickadee

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu