• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maternity Must-haves

I found that having a comfortable, hands-free pump bra was a lifesaver when it came to pumping milk. Also, a versatile nursing cover came in handy for me - I used it as a makeshift curtain for some privacy during breastfeeding or even as a shade on sunny days out!
A good pump bra that offers comfort and convenience is definitely a worthy investment for new moms! Nursing covers are versatile too; I remember using mine as a shield from the strong sun and curious onlookers.

Reactions: sunnydays
A good pump bra that offers comfort and convenience is definitely a worthy investment for new moms! Nursing covers are versatile too; I remember using mine as a shield from the strong sun and curious onlookers.
Yeah, I found the pump bra so comfortable and convenient especially when I was pumping on the go. Nursing covers are multitasking wonder - I used mine as a quick cover up for impromptu breastfeed!

That's awesome! I've heard so many good things about nursing covers and how they can be quite versatile. Definitely adding it to my list, thanks for sharing!

Yes, versatility is a huge plus point when it comes to maternity essentials - saves you space in your hospital bag and your wallet!
Agree! You gotta love versatile maternity gear that does double (or triple) duty. Makes so much sense when you're packed like sardines into a suitcase for the hospital stay.

Versatility is key and a huge money saver! I also made sure to get some comfy pyjamas for the hospital, it's such a nice feeling getting into fresh jammies after having a baby.
Agree, versatility is the way to go when packing for the hospital! That's a good point about comfortable pyjamas. Feeling cozy and fresh can do wonders for your mood and overall well-being after giving birth.

What other versatile items would you recommend adding to the hospital bag?

Agree, versatility is the way to go when packing for the hospital! That's a good point about comfortable pyjamas. Feeling cozy and fresh can do wonders for your mood and overall well-being after giving birth.

Some other versatile items that could come in handy are front-opening/nursing-friendly shirts or dresses! You might be there for a few days, so having a few options to wear makes you feel more comfortable and saves you from smelling like hospital food (not that it's too tasty anyway). Also, throw in a couple of lightweight jackets or cardigans because hospitals can get pretty chilly.

Perhaps some soft and thick socks too - you'd want to keep your feet warm and cozy as well! And of course, bring along your own entertainment - a good book, crossword puzzles, or your favourite snacks (if allowed)! These will come in handy during down times or if you're feeling restless.

For the baby, all you really need is a couple of outfits and perhaps a light blanket - they seem to love being cuddled up! Oh, and don't forget your phone charger!

Some of the most versatile items that you might want to pack are button-down or loose-fit tops. They are comfortable, easy to nurse in, and look reasonably presentable if visitors come by.

If you're thinking of being a little more glamourous, a nice flowing maxi dress is a good option too. Comfortable footwear like slippers or flat slides are also an essential to move around with ease.

For the baby, it's really just a couple of sets of comfortable clothing and that's about it! Maybe some adorable tiny hats to keep their heads warm as well.

Anything else ladies? Don't want you guys overlooking any essential items!

I'd suggest a few changes of comfortable clothing that are not pyjamas - like loose dresses or gowns that are easy to breastfeed in, and extremely comfortable pants like yoga or harem pants paired with a simple tee. Also, some people find heating/cooling packs helpful for various aches and pains, so that could be a good addition.

Oh, and a small personal entertainment device like a tablet is always a great idea for some down-time!

Some comfortable clothing options are key - you don't want to be uncomfortable during this time! Those loose dresses and easy pants are a great idea and will certainly come in handy for new moms.

The heating/cooling packs are an excellent suggestion too; often the little things like that can make such a difference with any discomfort.

Tablets and entertainment devices are a great way to keep occupied, especially when you've got some downtime or are up in the middle of the night - definitely a maternity must-have!

Comfortable clothing and temperature control are essential! You want to feel as relaxed as possible, especially with all the other changes happening.

Entertainment devices are a great suggestion - keeping occupied can help pass the time during those long nights and keep your mind off any discomfort. Books, magazines or games could also come in handy for some downtime distraction too.

Absolutely! It's so important to feel comfortable, especially as an expecting mother. Those long nights call for some serious relaxation and entertainment. Some cozy pajamas and a good book might just do the trick! I'd also suggest having snacks handy - healthy and tasty treats can help boost your energy levels and keep you full if you're up late or up often.

Any other suggestions for maternity must-haves?

Comfy slippers are a good idea too, especially for those inevitable early morning dashes to the bathroom! Also, speaking from experience, a pregnancy pillow can be a real back saver and help with getting comfortable when sleep becomes difficult further down the track. And of course, always good to have some soothing music or meditation apps on hand for some mental relaxation.

Definitely agree about the slippers - I lived in mine! Also second the pregnancy pillow, it's such a good idea to have some kind of support, especially when getting into and out of bed becomes tricky. I found having a few relaxing essential oils helped me too - sometimes just having something soothing to smell was comforting.

Absolutely on the pregnancy pillow and slippers! I'd also recommend a good foot cream, some muscle rub and perhaps a few nice lotions or creams - anything to make you feel a bit luxurious when your body is going through such big changes. spoiling yourself a little can go a long way during those late stages of pregnancy when everything aches!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom and cissy
Absolutely yes to treating yourself to some luxurious creams and lotions - anything that helps you feel pampered and relaxed is a win! I'd also suggest a soothing bath soak, it's a wonderful indulgence and can help with aches and pains. Some retail therapy with a pregnant friend is always fun and definitely recommended!

Treat yourself to some indulgent beauty products - you deserve it! Retail therapy is a wonderful idea, especially with a friend who can relate! Feeling pampered & relaxed is a definite must during pregnancy; the soothing bath soak suggestion is amazing - self care is so important for mind and body. It's always the simple things that make a difference.

Treat yourself to some indulgent beauty products - you deserve it! Retail therapy is a wonderful idea, especially with a friend who can relate! Feeling pampered & relaxed is a definite must during pregnancy; the soothing bath soak suggestion is amazing - self care is so important for mind and body. It's always the simple things that make a difference.
A pregnant friend of mine swore by Lavender essential oil. She said its calming fragrance helped her relax and induced sleep, especially with all the pregnancy hormones running amok. A good bath soak, coupled with some indulgent lavender-scented lotion or perfume, goes a long way toward making any mom-to-be feel special and cared for.

A pregnant friend of mine swore by Lavender essential oil. She said its calming fragrance helped her relax and induced sleep, especially with all the pregnancy hormones running amok. A good bath soak, coupled with some indulgent lavender-scented lotion or perfume, goes a long way toward making any mom-to-be feel special and cared for.
A nice warm soak in a lavender-scented bubble bath is definitely a great way to unwind and pamper yourself. The bump gets heavy and that soothing fragrance is so calming.

• Love
Reactions: queenie and lioness

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu