• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maternity Must-haves

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What would you say are the top five maternity must-haves that expectant mothers should invest in?

I'm thinking beyond the obvious essentials like a stroller and crib, but also the hidden gems that made your life easier - think clothing, accessories, nursing gear, or anything that helped you navigate the various stages of pregnancy, labor, or postpartum recovery with ease.

Feel free to include links or specific product names so we can check them out!

1. A versatile and comfortable house dress that you can wear during pregnancy and beyond. It's a nice change from lounge wear and feels special while being practical - I liked having something that was comfortable but also made me feel put together when friends and family visited.

2. A nursing shawl/cover - I found this so useful for those early days when breastfeeding was difficult and I needed more privacy. It also doubled up as a shade on sunny days.

3. Reusable breast pads - these saved me from the embarrassment of leaky breasts! They're easy to wash and much more environmentally friendly than the disposable kind.

4. A baby carrier - hands down a godsend for keeping your little one close while still having your hands free. I found it especially useful when my baby was small and would nap in the carrier - it allowed me to get on with things while they napped peacefully.

5. Maternity leggings - I lived in these throughout my pregnancy and even now postpartum. They're high waisted and the bump band is so comfortable; they also come in various colours which makes them fun!

1. A versatile and comfortable house dress that you can wear during pregnancy and beyond. It's a nice change from lounge wear and feels special while being practical - I liked having something that was comfortable but also made me feel put together when friends and family visited.

2. A nursing shawl/cover - I found this so useful for those early days when breastfeeding was difficult and I needed more privacy. It also doubled up as a shade on sunny days.

3. Reusable breast pads - these saved me from the embarrassment of leaky breasts! They're easy to wash and much more environmentally friendly than the disposable kind.

4. A baby carrier - hands down a godsend for keeping your little one close while still having your hands free. I found it especially useful when my baby was small and would nap in the carrier - it allowed me to get on with things while they napped peacefully.

5. Maternity leggings - I lived in these throughout my pregnancy and even now postpartum. They're high waisted and the bump band is so comfortable; they also come in various colours which makes them fun!
Those sound like some great recommendations! I especially liked having some comfy house dresses too-- it's nice to feel a little dressed up, without the discomfort of regular clothes, especially for those visitor days :p

I found that muslin cloths were an absolute must-have for me. They're so versatile; you can use them as a light cover, breast cleansing cloths, or even just to put over your shoulder when burping the baby. I also found myself using hair ties more often than usual - those little suckers like to be tucked into everything!

Also, I'm sure many new moms would appreciate the practicality of a good pair of slippers or indoor shoes with a good grip. With all the running around after a newborn, it's easy to forget how tricky stairs can be, and having some grippy soles gives a bit more confidence on those groggy mornings.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia

Leggings are a mama's best friend, hands down. And reusable breast pads are a must-have for eco-conscious moms!

Those sound like some great recommendations! I especially liked having some comfy house dresses too-- it's nice to feel a little dressed up, without the discomfort of regular clothes, especially for those visitor days :p

I found that muslin cloths were an absolute must-have for me. They're so versatile; you can use them as a light cover, breast cleansing cloths, or even just to put over your shoulder when burping the baby. I also found myself using hair ties more often than usual - those little suckers like to be tucked into everything!

Also, I'm sure many new moms would appreciate the practicality of a good pair of slippers or indoor shoes with a good grip. With all the running around after a newborn, it's easy to forget how tricky stairs can be, and having some grippy soles gives a bit more confidence on those groggy mornings.
Yup, those muslin cloths are super useful, I'd say they're essential! And I agree about the shoes - didn't realise how dangerous slippery soles could be till I stepped out of the shower with wet feet, yikes.

Hair ties are a must-have for new moms! They come in handy for keeping hair mess tucked away, especially when you're in a hurry or lack sleep.

As for house slippers, they should be mandatory for all new parents running around after their little ones. It's an easy way to avoid any accidental slips and falls - something that we new moms definitely don't have time for!

House dresses are a great idea - comfortable and presentable. You're right about the muslin cloths; they're super useful, absorb loads of milk and drool, and are gentle on the baby's skin. As for slippers, moccasins with a hard sole got me through those exhausting early days.

Hair ties are a must-have for new moms! They come in handy for keeping hair mess tucked away, especially when you're in a hurry or lack sleep.

As for house slippers, they should be mandatory for all new parents running around after their little ones. It's an easy way to avoid any accidental slips and falls - something that we new moms definitely don't have time for!
I second the hair ties! They're one of those things you don't think about until you desperately need them, like when your baby starts tugging at your hair! Slippers are a great idea too, especially something fluffy and cozy for those cold mornings.

House dresses are a great idea - comfortable and presentable. You're right about the muslin cloths; they're super useful, absorb loads of milk and drool, and are gentle on the baby's skin. As for slippers, moccasins with a hard sole got me through those exhausting early days.
Moccasins are a stylish yet functional choice for slippers! They keep your feet comfortable and look presentable too.

That's true - moccasins have been my go-to during pregnancy and postpartum, especially with all the walking around the house I've been doing lately. They keep my feet cozy and are cute too! Would recommend!

That's true - moccasins have been my go-to during pregnancy and postpartum, especially with all the walking around the house I've been doing lately. They keep my feet cozy and are cute too! Would recommend!
Comfy footwear is a must for us mummies! I wore mine almost 24/7 during those first few chaotic but precious postpartum weeks. They're adorable and practical - definitely a great recommendation for new moms!

Mocs are a great option for expectant and new moms - comfy, stylish, and practical. I mostly wore slippers myself, but looking back, moccasins would have been a better choice for outside wear.

Moccasins are a great option! They're on my list too - perfect for running errands and days when you still want to look stylish but need comfort.

I found that having a few pairs of comfortable slippers or shoes made all the difference in my last trimester, when nothing seemed comfortable anymore! So definitely a good idea to stock up on those.

Great tip! I've heard pregnancy can be tough on the feet with all the extra weight and swelling, so comfy shoes are a must-have. I'll make sure to get some good slippers too - thanks for the suggestion!

Reactions: techsavvy
Great tip! I've heard pregnancy can be tough on the feet with all the extra weight and swelling, so comfy shoes are a must-have. I'll make sure to get some good slippers too - thanks for the suggestion!
Yeah, at least getting our feet comforted with a good pair of slippers or shoes can make things a lil' better during those tough times!

Reactions: happyfeet
Yeah, at least getting our feet comforted with a good pair of slippers or shoes can make things a lil' better during those tough times!
Comfy footwear is a must-have for new mums, especially when you're exhausted and your feet are swollen! Mine certainly helped me get around more comfortably during those first few challenging weeks.

Reactions: bookworm
Absolutely agree on the comfy footwear! I lived in my sliders/slippers in the early days - something easy to slip on and off with a new baby was a godsend as you're constantly running to and from for nappy changes, feeds etc. Plus they were great for keeping my poor swollen feet comfortable! Would highly recommend investing in a good pair!

Absolutely agree on the comfy footwear! I lived in my sliders/slippers in the early days - something easy to slip on and off with a new baby was a godsend as you're constantly running to and from for nappy changes, feeds etc. Plus they were great for keeping my poor swollen feet comfortable! Would highly recommend investing in a good pair!
Yeah, sliders are a blessing for new moms who are too tired to bend down and struggle with tight shoe laces! I've been through that phase! Comfort over style, definitely, during the early days of motherhood! Any other must-haves you guys can share? It's helpful to know these tips!

Yeah, sliders are a blessing for new moms who are too tired to bend down and struggle with tight shoe laces! I've been through that phase! Comfort over style, definitely, during the early days of motherhood! Any other must-haves you guys can share? It's helpful to know these tips!
I found that having a comfortable, hands-free pump bra was a lifesaver when it came to pumping milk. Also, a versatile nursing cover came in handy for me - I used it as a makeshift curtain for some privacy during breastfeeding or even as a shade on sunny days out!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu