• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maternity Must-Haves

bubblyfish

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Before I share my list of maternity must-haves, let me first tell you about some of the challenges I faced during pregnancy that these products helped alleviate. For context, I suffered from both swelling and heartburn, and towards the latter part of my pregnancy, I also had difficulty sleeping. These issues made it nearly impossible to comfortable, especially when trying to rest. Now that I look back, I realize how some of the items I relied on then should be considered essential for any expectant mother.

Here are my maternity must-haves:

1. Rocking or Recliner Chair: I found that rocking chairs helped soothe my swollen feet and provided comfort when nothing else seemed to help. Being able to elevate the legs and rock gently offered a sense of relief and comfort, especially during the nighttime.

2. Pregnancy Pillow: These pillows are a godsend for anyone struggling with sleep disturbances. They help you get comfortable and stay that way through the night, supporting your bump and back.

3. Heartburn Relief: I'd recommend keeping some antacids or natural remedies on hand because heartburn can be a persistent issue as your pregnancy progresses.

4. Maternity leggings/joggers: Comfortable clothing is a must, and these items should be high on your list. Look for fabrics that stretch, are breathable, and won't aggravate your skin.

5. Support Belt: Investing in a good support belt can help ease back pain and relieve some weight from your hips and pelvis, especially towards the end of pregnancy. It also helps with posture, which was a nice bonus!

6. Stretch Mark Oil/Creams: I'm not sure if these actually prevent stretch marks, but keeping your skin moisturized and hydrated is always a good idea. Plus, the ritual of massaging your growing bump with a soothing oil can be relaxing.

Thank you for sharing! I had a very similar experience with swelling, heartburn and insomnia towards the end of my pregnancy. I wish I'd had a rocking chair - that sounds like a brilliant solution for swollen feet!

I would add another vote for maternity leggings - they're so comfortable and the right pair will last your entire pregnancy and beyond.

Also, I found a pregnancy body pillow to be a godsend, especially for side sleepers like myself. And I second the motion for heartburn relief - I had no idea it could be so persistent! Antacids were a lifesaver.

Are there any other expectant moms here with must-have recommendations? It's such a helpful thread!

A rocking chair was a great investment and helped me keep comfortable during the later stages - so glad I heeded that advice!

Maternity leggings are comfy, and I found they came in handy post-partum too which is an added bonus.

I also used a pregnancy pillow, especially when I started getting bigger and it got harder to get comfortable at night. It helped me get some rest when sleep was so precious.

And definitely second the antacids recommendation - heartburn was a daily occurrence for me! I found having small sours sweets/candies helped too as the sweetness seemed to help.

I also recommend a pregnancy support belt. It provided much-needed lower backache relief and helped with my posture, especially when I was out and about.

It's such a fun time preparing for baby and making those last-minute preparations! Enjoy it!

pregnant-woman-spotlight_750x419.jpg

Great tips, thank you!

I didn't use a pregnancy pillow but wish I had - a friend recommended them too after the fact! I'll definitely be grabbing one for the next time. I agree on the leggings and antacids, they were lifesavers and so comfy.

I also found a body pillow helpful, especially towards the end when my bump was so big. And of course, lots of loose dresses - I felt most comfortable in those. Can't believe how many times I had to run out and buy new clothing as my bump grew!

It's such an exciting time I'm due in a few weeks and can't wait to meet our little one!

Great tips, thank you!

I didn't use a pregnancy pillow but wish I had - a friend recommended them too after the fact! I'll definitely be grabbing one for the next time. I agree on the leggings and antacids, they were lifesavers and so comfy.

I also found a body pillow helpful, especially towards the end when my bump was so big. And of course, lots of loose dresses - I felt most comfortable in those. Can't believe how many times I had to run out and buy new clothing as my bump grew!

It's such an exciting time I'm due in a few weeks and can't wait to meet our little one!
Body pillow sounds comforting, especially when you need the extra support. Loose dresses are a must-have; no wonder they call it a Bump Day dress for the Bump Days! It's fun yet challenging to keep up with the growing bump.

Exciting times ahead for you! All the best and keep us posted!

Body pillow sounds comforting, especially when you need the extra support. Loose dresses are a must-have; no wonder they call it a Bump Day dress for the Bump Days! It's fun yet challenging to keep up with the growing bump.

Exciting times ahead for you! All the best and keep us posted!
Yes, I can't wait to stock up on loose dresses! Thanks for the recommendation and well wishes. I'm sure the coming months will be an exciting journey.

Absolutely! I found that investing in good quality maternity clothes that flattered my changing shape really helped my confidence during an otherwise uncertain time.

Reactions: doctormama
Good, quality clothing can make all the difference & is so worth the investment! It's encouraging to hear that these pieces helped you feel confident during your pregnancy - especially since it can be such a time of change & uncertainty. Would love to hear what pieces you think are essential for keeping that bump stylish! 😊

High-waisted, full-panel, dark skinny jeans were my favourite. I felt they looked dressed up enough for most occasions and were so comfortable - it made me feel like I hadn't changed my style at all! Also recommend a few nice, loose, printed dresses - perfect for the hot summer months where you want to feel cool and elegant but also cozy and not restricted. Would love to hear any recommendations on maternity must-haves too!!

Reactions: doctormama
High-waisted, full-panel, dark skinny jeans were my favourite. I felt they looked dressed up enough for most occasions and were so comfortable - it made me feel like I hadn't changed my style at all! Also recommend a few nice, loose, printed dresses - perfect for the hot summer months where you want to feel cool and elegant but also cozy and not restricted. Would love to hear any recommendations on maternity must-haves too!!
For a comfortable yet put-together look, I found that jersey culottes were my pregnancy wardrobe staple. The flowy, wide-leg pants gave an effortless and sleek appearance, especially when paired with a fitted top to showcase the bump. The elastic waistband ensured comfort and the kulot style meant no constricting tightness around the belly.

Culottes are such a great idea! I found my pair so versatile - dressed up with a nice top for a night out, or down with a t shirt and bump supporting band for running errands. The comfort was unmatched and the style kept me feeling put together throughout pregnancy. Would definitely recommend this piece to anyone!

Culottes are a maternity wardrobe hero! They're so comfortable yet stylish, it's no surprise you found them so versatile - dressed up or down. Style is such an important consideration for making us mums feel good about ourselves during pregnancy so it's great you discovered something that worked so well for many occasions. Would love to hear your recommendations on other bump-friendly pieces!

Culottes are a maternity wardrobe hero! They're so comfortable yet stylish, it's no surprise you found them so versatile - dressed up or down. Style is such an important consideration for making us mums feel good about ourselves during pregnancy so it's great you discovered something that worked so well for many occasions. Would love to hear your recommendations on other bump-friendly pieces!
Culottes are a God-send because of the flowy fabric that skims over the tummy and the shorts part that allows movement and comfort - a real confidence booster for mums-to-be who want to still look stylish! For special occasions, I would recommend a good tailored jacket that can be dressed up or down. It helps to create a slim silhouette and looks polished too.

Oh, and one more thing - do not scrimp on good maternity leggings! They are an essential for the comfort-seeking pregnant lady.

Culottes are a God-send because of the flowy fabric that skims over the tummy and the shorts part that allows movement and comfort - a real confidence booster for mums-to-be who want to still look stylish! For special occasions, I would recommend a good tailored jacket that can be dressed up or down. It helps to create a slim silhouette and looks polished too.

Oh, and one more thing - do not scrimp on good maternity leggings! They are an essential for the comfort-seeking pregnant lady.
I second the leggings recommendation! I lived in those towards the end of my pregnancy - they're so comfortable and versatile. You can dress them up or down too.

Would you guys recommend any specific brands for these must-haves? I've been eyeing some Culottes online but they look too good to be true, afraid they might not be practical for everyday wear.

I second the Culottes recommendation, they're so comfortable and yet make you feel put together. As for the jacket, I'd suggest going for a flowy, oversized style that can be layered and will grow with your bump. It's a great investment piece!

• Haha
Reactions: queenie
I second the leggings recommendation! I lived in those towards the end of my pregnancy - they're so comfortable and versatile. You can dress them up or down too.

Would you guys recommend any specific brands for these must-haves? I've been eyeing some Culottes online but they look too good to be true, afraid they might not be practical for everyday wear.
Some of the maternity leggings are super stretchy and able to last throughout pregnancy and beyond. I got mine from H&M and found them to be comfortable and affordable.

As for culottes, I found them to be honestly quite impractical, especially towards the end of pregnancy when you're dealing with a huge belly! They look cute, but the flowy nature of the pants makes it hard to conceal the fact that you've got nothing on underneath. Unless you plan on wearing them mostly indoors or for short periods, I'd say give them a miss and opt for something more snug and secure.

I second the Culottes recommendation, they're so comfortable and yet make you feel put together. As for the jacket, I'd suggest going for a flowy, oversized style that can be layered and will grow with your bump. It's a great investment piece!
Good to know! Oversized outerwear sounds like a comfy yet stylish option Maternity fashion should really be about adaptability and comfort!

Some of the maternity leggings are super stretchy and able to last throughout pregnancy and beyond. I got mine from H&M and found them to be comfortable and affordable.

As for culottes, I found them to be honestly quite impractical, especially towards the end of pregnancy when you're dealing with a huge belly! They look cute, but the flowy nature of the pants makes it hard to conceal the fact that you've got nothing on underneath. Unless you plan on wearing them mostly indoors or for short periods, I'd say give them a miss and opt for something more snug and secure.
Yeah, I agree that culottes are not very practical towards the end of pregnancy. They're more suitable for the earlier stages when the belly's not so huge! Snug-fitting, stretchy leggings are the way to go for comfort and functionality during the latter stages.

• Love
Reactions: bookworm

I agree about the Culottes. I made the mistake of buying them during my pregnancy and hardly wore them. They looked cute but were just too much hassle to manage with my tummy. Leggings are the way to go! H&M has great and affordable options, in fact, I'm still wearing theirs even after pregnancy as they're so comfy!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu