• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maternity Must-Haves

My list of maternity clothing essentials consists of:

1. Empire-waist or wrap dresses - they are extremely flattering and also nursing-friendly, as mentioned! Easy access makes breastfeeding convenient and the flowing fabric is comfy on a sensitive postnatal body.

2. Leggings or jeggings - I agree with you all that these are must-haves for their comfort and versatility. I'd also suggest investing in a good pair because you'll be living in them for a while!

3. Oversized/long tunics - These can be worn over leggings and are great for layered styling options. Plus, they're roomy which is perfect for the postpartum period.

4. Loose-fitting, button-down tops - Another nursing-friendly option that's great for layering and a good style to transition through pregnancy and beyond.

5. Cardigans or sweaters - I love an oversize cardi to throw on over any outfit. They're a good way to feel put-together even on no-makeup days, which are abundant in the early postpartum phase!

6. Soft cotton Undies - Comfortable underwear is super important during and after pregnancy, so say goodbye to your usual lacy ones and embrace the comfy cotton kinds!

7. Supportive but comfortable bras - This may be a personal preference, but I needed all the comfort I could get in those early days. Bralettes or nursing bras offer support without the restrictiveness of regular ones.

That's my maternity wardrobe curated! I focused on comfort and function, which were my priorities then. Each mom might have her own list too - it's fun to discover these personal essentials!
Your list covers most bases and is a great mix of comfort and functionality - two very important factors when selecting clothing items for such a special period in one's life! It's fascinating how every woman has different must-haves based on their personal experiences and preferences.

My list of maternity clothing essentials consists of:

1. Empire-waist or wrap dresses - they are extremely flattering and also nursing-friendly, as mentioned! Easy access makes breastfeeding convenient and the flowing fabric is comfy on a sensitive postnatal body.

2. Leggings or jeggings - I agree with you all that these are must-haves for their comfort and versatility. I'd also suggest investing in a good pair because you'll be living in them for a while!

3. Oversized/long tunics - These can be worn over leggings and are great for layered styling options. Plus, they're roomy which is perfect for the postpartum period.

4. Loose-fitting, button-down tops - Another nursing-friendly option that's great for layering and a good style to transition through pregnancy and beyond.

5. Cardigans or sweaters - I love an oversize cardi to throw on over any outfit. They're a good way to feel put-together even on no-makeup days, which are abundant in the early postpartum phase!

6. Soft cotton Undies - Comfortable underwear is super important during and after pregnancy, so say goodbye to your usual lacy ones and embrace the comfy cotton kinds!

7. Supportive but comfortable bras - This may be a personal preference, but I needed all the comfort I could get in those early days. Bralettes or nursing bras offer support without the restrictiveness of regular ones.

That's my maternity wardrobe curated! I focused on comfort and function, which were my priorities then. Each mom might have her own list too - it's fun to discover these personal essentials!
You've certainly given a lot of thought to functional yet comfortable clothing for expectant and new moms! I love how you've curated a list that encompasses all the right feels and needs during that special period. It's one of those times where function definitely takes center stage in terms of clothing priorities.

Your list covers most bases and is a great mix of comfort and functionality - two very important factors when selecting clothing items for such a special period in one's life! It's fascinating how every woman has different must-haves based on their personal experiences and preferences.
it's incredible how our needs change and evolve during pregnancy and postpartum, and it's essential to prioritize comfort and personal style above all else during this unique time. Does anyone else have any other maternity clothing recommendations that made them feel fantastic? I'd love to hear about your go-to styles and brands!

I found that my usual essentials like leggings and oversize shirts were a Godsend throughout my pregnancy - especially for lounging around the house.

However, I also wanted to feel put-together sometimes without sacrificing comfort, so I turned to bump-friendly dresses. Flowy, loose styles with an empire waist worked best and made me feel so elegant! I got some lovely ones from PinkBlush - highly recommend their stuff.

Also, their nursing-friendly options were lifesavers once the baby arrived. Their clothing is a bit pricier, but the quality is excellent, and it was worth it for me to have a few go-to pieces that made me feel good during such a confusing time for my body. Would love to hear what other people recommend too!

I second the bump-friendly dress recommendation - especially for special occasions! I felt so self-conscious at my baby shower, but a friend gifted me this stunning floral wrap dress that grew with my bump and it made me feel like a million bucks.

Also, I found maternity jeans a worthwhile investment. They're super comfy, and the elastic waist meant I could size up as needed without worrying about them being too tight. I still wear mine now - post pregnancy- because they're so damn comfy! And finally, I lived in my sliders/slip-on sandals - easy to get on and off with a squirming baby in tow.

It's such an exciting time, and it's nice to feel good about yourself amidst all the changes. Congrats to all the mamas-to-be! X

• Love
Reactions: nature
I'll have to get some maternity jeans - they sound super comfortable! And I love the idea of a dress that grows with the bump, especially for special occasions.

Also loving the sound of sliders/sandals - anything to make life easier when you've got a newborn! Don't want to be struggling with laces etc. when you're exhausted and your hands are full!

Thanks for the tips! Congrats to you too :) x

Reactions: happyfeet
Maternity jeans are SO comfy and look just like normal jeans, I lived in them! There are some great bump-friendly dresses out there too which are super flattering.

I found sliders/sandals an absolute godsend after my son was born, they were easy to put on and went with everything. Congrats by the way!! x

Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely invest in some comfy jeans and sliders - two things I usually live in, so perfect that I can keep wearing them throughout pregnancy. Bump-friendly dresses sound good too, I want to feel flattering even with a growing bump! Congrats to you too! x

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: nature and mamamia
I found maxi dresses so comfortable - especially in the warmer weather - and they looked pretty too. For everyday, I lived in my leggings (with a long top to cover the bump!) and loose tunics/t-shirts. Congrats again! x

Maxi dresses are a great idea - comfy and cute! I'll definitely be wearing leggings and long tops too - good for layering as well, which is perfect for those temperature changes during pregnancy!

Congrats again!! x

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
Maxi dresses are a great idea - comfy and cute! I'll definitely be wearing leggings and long tops too - good for layering as well, which is perfect for those temperature changes during pregnancy!

Congrats again!! x
Ah yes, the ever-changing hormones and temperatures that come with being pregnant make layering a great option Thank you so much, have a wonderful weekend ahead!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu