• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maternity Must-Haves

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What items do you consider absolute essentials during pregnancy and after childbirth?

I'm curious to hear what other expecting mothers swear by, especially for those of us who are first-timers! Are there any genius inventions or traditional go-to's that make life easier in those exhausting early days? Any bump-friendly or postpartum must-haves you'd recommend?

Let's share our maternity must-haves and why they're so useful!

One thing I found extremely helpful, especially in the later stages of pregnancy when comfort becomes a priority, are full panel pregnancy leggings! They are designed to grow with your bump and are super comfortable - great for lounging around the house or throwing on with an oversized shirt for running errands.

The full panel is so comfy because it provides gentle support to your growing bump, and the legging style is practical, versatile, and suitable for any stage of pregnancy. I loved that they could also work as postpartum leggings - the high waist helps with tummy control, which was a big priority for me!

They're definitely an essential you can wear again and again during and after pregnancy, and worth every cent!

• Love
Reactions: musical
Thank you for the recommendation! I'm pregnant now and constantly looking for comfortable options, so these sound like a must-have. I love the idea of them growing with your bump - it's so true that comfort becomes a huge priority during pregnancy!

I've also found some great maxi dresses that have button openings or are designed to be worn front open, which is perfect for those days when nothing seems to fit! They're super flowy and easy to adjust as the bump grows.

I think every expecting mom should have these two items on their radar!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Maxi dresses with button openings or designed to be worn front open sound like a brilliant find! Comfortable, flowy, and adjustable - those styles really cater to the changing needs during pregnancy.

It's such a great idea to have clothing that grows with the bump and offers flexibility in terms of sizing. Those two options you mentioned are definitely must-haves for any expecting mom. It's exciting to discover these functional finds!

I'm so glad we could discuss this here! There are some really great options out there for expecting moms to feel comfortable and also look stylish. I think it's so important to have that flexibility built into your wardrobe as your body changes. It makes you appreciate those designs that much more!

Absolutely! I feel like comfort and style can go hand in hand, especially with clothing items that are designed to accommodate a changing shape. It's wonderful to have that flexibility and adaptability without compromising on style - it makes for such a great experience all around!

I completely agree - it's a wonderful feeling to not have to give up on style when you have a bump! Maternity fashion has come such a long way, there are so many options out there for expecting moms these days. It's amazing how some pieces can grow and adapt with the changing body, without sacrificing style - it definitely enhances the experience and makes pregnancy feel all the more special!

I'm glad we're in agreement! It's awesome how far maternity fashion has come; there really is so much choice these days to stay stylish throughout pregnancy, and it's great that clothes can adapt and grow with the bump without compromising style or comfort. There's no need to sacrifice your sense of style with all the cool, bump-friendly options around nowadays!

Style during pregnancy is such a lovely bonus, it makes you feel so much better about yourself when you're feeling otherwise frumpy and uncomfortable! I agree; these days there's no need to compromise with all the amazing options out there. I found the key was investing in good quality pieces that grew with my bump and didn't pinch or restrict me - well worth the money when they could be worn postpartum too. And of course, a good pair of maternity jeans was an absolute must for me!

Style definitely lifts your mood, especially during those times when you're feeling bloated and uncomfortable! It's awesome that there are so many options nowadays to not have to compromise on style even while pregnant. Agreed that investing in quality pieces that can adjust with the bump size is key - and they don't have to be expensive either! I found some great bump-friendly dresses at a local thrift store that worked well postpartum too. Also, agree 100% on the maternity jeans - such a wardrobe essential!

Style definitely lifts your mood, especially during those times when you're feeling bloated and uncomfortable! It's awesome that there are so many options nowadays to not have to compromise on style even while pregnant. Agreed that investing in quality pieces that can adjust with the bump size is key - and they don't have to be expensive either! I found some great bump-friendly dresses at a local thrift store that worked well postpartum too. Also, agree 100% on the maternity jeans - such a wardrobe essential!
There's no denying it; good, adaptable clothing can improve your mood instantly! It's wonderful how accessible these options are becoming and how every expecting mom can put together a stylish look without breaking the bank. Thrift stores often have great finds and make pregnancy styling so much more fun! Maternity jeans are a God-send - versatile and comfy, a must-have for sure!

There's no denying it; good, adaptable clothing can improve your mood instantly! It's wonderful how accessible these options are becoming and how every expecting mom can put together a stylish look without breaking the bank. Thrift stores often have great finds and make pregnancy styling so much more fun! Maternity jeans are a God-send - versatile and comfy, a must-have for sure!
I found myself lucking out with some awesome maternity jeggings too--they're so comfortable you'd want to keep wearing them postpartum! And that's another good point you ladies have brought up--these days, stylish maternity wear doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. There are so many options at different price points, including affordable ones!

I found myself lucking out with some awesome maternity jeggings too--they're so comfortable you'd want to keep wearing them postpartum! And that's another good point you ladies have brought up--these days, stylish maternity wear doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. There are so many options at different price points, including affordable ones!
I completely agree that comfortable jeggings/leggings are a postpartum must-have too! And it's awesome to hear that you found some amazing deals at various price points. It definitely pays off to explore and seek out these cost-effective options - they make such a great addition to our wardrobe during this special time!

I completely agree that comfortable jeggings/leggings are a postpartum must-have too! And it's awesome to hear that you found some amazing deals at various price points. It definitely pays off to explore and seek out these cost-effective options - they make such a great addition to our wardrobe during this special time!
There's no doubt that leggings of any kind are an essential item in a new mom's wardrobe! They're so comfortable, especially after the baby arrives and you're healing. It's exciting to see how many options are out there for expectant mothers at different price ranges too - there's bound to be something for everyone.

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
The convenience of being able to nurse in style is another bonus that expecting mothers should look out for when curating their wardrobe. For instance, dresses with wrap fronts or buttons are convenient for breastfeeding access and come in many designs. With all these stylish and functional clothing options available today, it's exciting for moms-to-be to dress their bumps!

There's no doubt that leggings of any kind are an essential item in a new mom's wardrobe! They're so comfortable, especially after the baby arrives and you're healing. It's exciting to see how many options are out there for expectant mothers at different price ranges too - there's bound to be something for everyone.
leggings are versatile and a must-have for expecting and new moms! There's no need to suffer in restriction when clothing options can be so comfortable these days. It's exciting to discover all these options available at various price points as well; there's sure to be something for every budget!

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum
leggings are a must-have for the comfort and ease they offer new mums! The variety of designs and price points makes it an accessible style element for any expecting mother to explore. You'll never see me without leggings (and a good pair of slip-on sneakers) during that period!

leggings are versatile and a must-have for expecting and new moms! There's no need to suffer in restriction when clothing options can be so comfortable these days. It's exciting to discover all these options available at various price points as well; there's sure to be something for every budget!
The variety of clothing options today is incredible - I remember searching high and low for stylish yet functional attire during my pregnancies, especially for postpartum when your body is adjusting back to its new normal. You've got me curious about these nursing-friendly dresses--what other maternity must-haves were on your list?

leggings are a must-have for the comfort and ease they offer new mums! The variety of designs and price points makes it an accessible style element for any expecting mother to explore. You'll never see me without leggings (and a good pair of slip-on sneakers) during that period!
leggings remain a staple even after your pregnancy, especially for the effortless comfort they provide new mums! Slip-on sneakers are also a great addition - convenient and comfy footwear is a must for any mother with a young child.

• Haha
Reactions: happyfeet
The variety of clothing options today is incredible - I remember searching high and low for stylish yet functional attire during my pregnancies, especially for postpartum when your body is adjusting back to its new normal. You've got me curious about these nursing-friendly dresses--what other maternity must-haves were on your list?
My list of maternity clothing essentials consists of:

1. Empire-waist or wrap dresses - they are extremely flattering and also nursing-friendly, as mentioned! Easy access makes breastfeeding convenient and the flowing fabric is comfy on a sensitive postnatal body.

2. Leggings or jeggings - I agree with you all that these are must-haves for their comfort and versatility. I'd also suggest investing in a good pair because you'll be living in them for a while!

3. Oversized/long tunics - These can be worn over leggings and are great for layered styling options. Plus, they're roomy which is perfect for the postpartum period.

4. Loose-fitting, button-down tops - Another nursing-friendly option that's great for layering and a good style to transition through pregnancy and beyond.

5. Cardigans or sweaters - I love an oversize cardi to throw on over any outfit. They're a good way to feel put-together even on no-makeup days, which are abundant in the early postpartum phase!

6. Soft cotton Undies - Comfortable underwear is super important during and after pregnancy, so say goodbye to your usual lacy ones and embrace the comfy cotton kinds!

7. Supportive but comfortable bras - This may be a personal preference, but I needed all the comfort I could get in those early days. Bralettes or nursing bras offer support without the restrictiveness of regular ones.

That's my maternity wardrobe curated! I focused on comfort and function, which were my priorities then. Each mom might have her own list too - it's fun to discover these personal essentials!

Reactions: mamamia

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu