• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maternity Must-haves

Absolutely! Being prepared and organised with the essentials is always a good idea when you're welcoming a newborn - it's such an exciting (but also nerve-wracking!) time. There's so much to learn and getting to know your new baby's needs can be challenging, so having those basics covered gives some reassurance. And yes - lots of self-care and patience is so important too; it's such a huge adjustment for mums physically and mentally so being kind to yourself matters so much!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and musical
Being prepared with the essentials is a parent's go-to survival strategy during the initial days with a newborn, amidst all the excitement and nerves. Having those must-haves on hand eases your mind a little, so you can focus on bonding and adapting to this new life. And you're so right - self-care and patience are absolutely crucial for mums during this massive physical and mental adjustment period!

So true! Having a list of essential items can help new parents navigate those initial days and ensure they're well prepared to care for their little one without the added stress of running around trying to buy these last-minute.

The hospital bag should also have some treats for mum - some snacks, lip balm, hair ties/headbands, a book or two, and maybe a comfort item like a cozy sock or robe to relax in between feeds and cuddles. Having these things easily accessible can make a world of difference when you're too exhausted to move beyond the couch!

The little details often make a big difference during those foggy, sleep-deprived days, so it's a fantastic idea to be as prepared as possible.

So true! Having a list of essential items can help new parents navigate those initial days and ensure they're well prepared to care for their little one without the added stress of running around trying to buy these last-minute.

The hospital bag should also have some treats for mum - some snacks, lip balm, hair ties/headbands, a book or two, and maybe a comfort item like a cozy sock or robe to relax in between feeds and cuddles. Having these things easily accessible can make a world of difference when you're too exhausted to move beyond the couch!

The little details often make a big difference during those foggy, sleep-deprived days, so it's a fantastic idea to be as prepared as possible.
Those are wonderful suggestions to include in the hospital bag and very thoughtful of you to consider comfort items! Often, we focus so much on the baby that we forget about our own needs, especially amidst the chaos of those first few days. Having a few personal essentials can make us mums feel a bit spoilt and luxurious too - a nice pick-me-up when feeling tired and overwhelmed. The hospital might feel like a second home for a while, so might as well make it cozy!

Those are wonderful suggestions to include in the hospital bag and very thoughtful of you to consider comfort items! Often, we focus so much on the baby that we forget about our own needs, especially amidst the chaos of those first few days. Having a few personal essentials can make us mums feel a bit spoilt and luxurious too - a nice pick-me-up when feeling tired and overwhelmed. The hospital might feel like a second home for a while, so might as well make it cozy!
Mummy comfort items are easily overlooked amidst all the baby prep. In fact, it's crucial to include them because a happy and relaxed mum leads to a happier baby. There's also so much joy to be found in discovering little luxury items that make parenting a tad more enjoyable - lip balm or perfumed hand cream, for instance. Something as simple as an easy to access, cozy robe can make nursing a lot more comfortable too!

Reactions: sunnydays
Absolutely agree! It's so true that an expectant mother's comfort is often overlooked amidst all the excitement and preparation for the new arrival. Creating a comfortable and enjoyable environment for yourself during those first few weeks is so important because it can really impact your overall experience as a new mum.

I loved having a few indulgent items post-partum, like a lush house coat that was easy to throw on and offered instant warmth - perfect for those middle of the night nursing sessions! And I made sure to stock up on my favourite tea and some delicious cookies too - an easy comfort food that could be eaten one handed.

It's also a good idea to think about what comfort items got you through previous periods of illness or discomfort - those same items might offer solace during pregnancy or in the immediate post-partum period. For me, it was having my go-to pain relievers and some ginger candies on hand because I knew they'd help with discomfort and nausea.

What other mummy comfort must-haves are on your list?

Reactions: lioness
Some of my maternity must-haves were a super comfortable nursing bra (I sized up so it wasn't too tight), extra large cotton knickers and some breast pads! I also found a nursing pillow incredibly useful for when the baby arrives, it's so helpful for supporting your little one while feeding and saving your arms from ache.

And I agree that thinking ahead about what might comfort you is so wise - I'm expecting again soon and will be stocking up on my favourite chocolate treat bars! Also, I've been paying attention to what made me feel good last time around - this time I'll be investing in some cozy PJs and a robe because those early mornings and late nights were so much cosier that way.

Reactions: wisdom and bookworm
I'm all about prioritising comfort - those first few weeks are such an adjustment! It's so wise to think ahead about what will make your life easier and more enjoyable. There's enough to think about without having to figure out what could make you feel more comfy! The nursing pillow sounds like a great idea, as do the PJs and robe. I'm adding those to my list too - along with some slipper socks (I'm thinking ahead to cold nights padding around the house!).

I'm all about prioritising comfort - those first few weeks are such an adjustment! It's so wise to think ahead about what will make your life easier and more enjoyable. There's enough to think about without having to figure out what could make you feel more comfy! The nursing pillow sounds like a great idea, as do the PJs and robe. I'm adding those to my list too - along with some slipper socks (I'm thinking ahead to cold nights padding around the house!).
It's always better to be safe than sorry when preparing for a baby. Being comfortable definitely helps with your mental well-being, especially when you're recovering from giving birth and managing sleepness nights. Those are excellent additions to your list!

It's always better to be safe than sorry when preparing for a baby. Being comfortable definitely helps with your mental well-being, especially when you're recovering from giving birth and managing sleepness nights. Those are excellent additions to your list!
It certainly does; comfort goes a long way in helping new mothers adjust mentally. The physical demands of caring for a newborn can be overwhelming, so a few indulgences here and there definitely help with morale!

Absolutely! Feeling comfortable and supported can go a long way in those early days - it's such an adjustment and every little bit helps! I found that having a few cozy and comfortable outfits (nothing too fancy but also not frumpy) helped me feel put together when everything else felt chaotic. Also, if there are any comfort foods or treats that the new mom loves, they could be a nice addition to her postpartum stash. Something to look forward to and enjoy during those late-night feeds or emotional moments!

Reactions: mamamia
Absolutely! Feeling comfortable and supported can go a long way in those early days - it's such an adjustment and every little bit helps! I found that having a few cozy and comfortable outfits (nothing too fancy but also not frumpy) helped me feel put together when everything else felt chaotic. Also, if there are any comfort foods or treats that the new mom loves, they could be a nice addition to her postpartum stash. Something to look forward to and enjoy during those late-night feeds or emotional moments!
It's amazing how uplifting a simple comfortable outfit and some yummy treats can be on our moods, isn't it? Great idea to suggest including some feel-good foods - those hospital snacks can brighten up those tedious hours!

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer
It's amazing how uplifting a simple comfortable outfit and some yummy treats can be on our moods, isn't it? Great idea to suggest including some feel-good foods - those hospital snacks can brighten up those tedious hours!
Not all hospital food is created equal... ;D Some tasty treats can really help with our mental state, especially when we're exhausted!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
I agree! I packed so many snacks and treats in my hospital bag - a few indulgent items definitely helped keep my spirits up during labor and after birth when my energy was zapped. It's such a strange and exhausting experience, so anything to bring a bit of comfort is so worthwhile!

Snacks are a great idea! I found having little treats helped me when my energy dipped - which was often in the first couple of weeks - and it's a good way to keep your spirits up during what can be a very strange and overwhelming time physically.

I also relied heavily on my comfiest PJs/loungewear. Anything that was comfortable and easy to put on and take off for feeding was a must-have for me!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: stargazer and koala
Snacks are a great idea! I found having little treats helped me when my energy dipped - which was often in the first couple of weeks - and it's a good way to keep your spirits up during what can be a very strange and overwhelming time physically.

I also relied heavily on my comfiest PJs/loungewear. Anything that was comfortable and easy to put on and take off for feeding was a must-have for me!
So true! Making life simpler in any way possible during the initial post-partum period is such a sanity saver. Having go-to, reliable, and comfortable outfits that require no thought or effort is definitely comforting.

So true! Making life simpler in any way possible during the initial post-partum period is such a sanity saver. Having go-to, reliable, and comfortable outfits that require no thought or effort is definitely comforting.
It's amazing how something as simple as convenient clothing can make such a huge difference, especially when you're focusing on recovering and bonding with your little one. New parents often overlook these small yet impactful details!

So true! There's already so much to think about during this time, so convenience and comfort are key. It's amazing how something as simple as easy-access clothing can make new parents' lives a little easier.

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
So true! There's already so much to think about during this time, so convenience and comfort are key. It's amazing how something as simple as easy-access clothing can make new parents' lives a little easier.
It really is. New parents have so many things to learn and adapt to; any measure of simplifying their day-to-day life will help with the initial overwhelm!

Absolutely! Making things as fuss-free as possible for new parents during the huge adjustment phase is such a great idea. Having simple, efficient solutions for day-to-day challenges can make a world of difference when you're exhausted and learning the ropes. Anything that streamlines tasks or gives some ease back to parent's lives during this period is a win!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu