• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maternity Must-haves

greenfingers

Top-Notch
Reaction score
1. A supportive and comfortable bra. It's super important to have some good quality nursing bras that'll see you through pregnancy and beyond, especially as your breasts change size. Look for easy access for breastfeeding too - your baby will thank you!

2. Comfy pjs or nightgown. You might want to consider a nightgown that's easy to breastfeed in, or some cozy pajamas that are loose and comfortable for those late-night feeds. Bonus points if they're cute enough to answer the door in, should deliveries arrive!

3. Maternity leggings. They're a godsend from the moment you start showing, so comfy! Look for a thick, high waistband which will sit over your bump and fit nicely under your bra.

4. Basic tops - think loose fit or ruched sides. You'll want something that will grow with your bump and look smart too, for those times you need to leave the house.

5. A pregnancy pillow. These are amazing for getting comfy on the sofa, and helping to alleviate some of the physical strains of pregnancy. They can help support your bump, back and knees!

6. Nursing chiffon/scarves. Great for discretion while feeding in public, but also a nice accessory to add to any outfit.

7. A changing bag. You'll need something practical with lots of compartments for all the baby essentials - nappies, wipes, creams, changes of clothes etc. But also, something that doesn't scream 'nappy bag' and looks stylish too!

8. Comfy slippers/slipper socks. These are a must-have for padding around the house - your feet will swell up during pregnancy so don't buy anything too tight!

9. Maternity undies - again, look for ones that will grow with your bump. Look for high waisted and full coverage styles for maximum comfort.

10. A baby carrier or sling. Great for keeping your hands-free and having your little one close, plus they're good for bonding too. Win-win!

What are your maternity must-haves? Any product discoveries that made your pregnancy easier?

1. A supportive and comfortable bra. It's super important to have some good quality nursing bras that'll see you through pregnancy and beyond, especially as your breasts change size. Look for easy access for breastfeeding too - your baby will thank you!

2. Comfy pjs or nightgown. You might want to consider a nightgown that's easy to breastfeed in, or some cozy pajamas that are loose and comfortable for those late-night feeds. Bonus points if they're cute enough to answer the door in, should deliveries arrive!

3. Maternity leggings. They're a godsend from the moment you start showing, so comfy! Look for a thick, high waistband which will sit over your bump and fit nicely under your bra.

4. Basic tops - think loose fit or ruched sides. You'll want something that will grow with your bump and look smart too, for those times you need to leave the house.

5. A pregnancy pillow. These are amazing for getting comfy on the sofa, and helping to alleviate some of the physical strains of pregnancy. They can help support your bump, back and knees!

6. Nursing chiffon/scarves. Great for discretion while feeding in public, but also a nice accessory to add to any outfit.

7. A changing bag. You'll need something practical with lots of compartments for all the baby essentials - nappies, wipes, creams, changes of clothes etc. But also, something that doesn't scream 'nappy bag' and looks stylish too!

8. Comfy slippers/slipper socks. These are a must-have for padding around the house - your feet will swell up during pregnancy so don't buy anything too tight!

9. Maternity undies - again, look for ones that will grow with your bump. Look for high waisted and full coverage styles for maximum comfort.

10. A baby carrier or sling. Great for keeping your hands-free and having your little one close, plus they're good for bonding too. Win-win!

What are your maternity must-haves? Any product discoveries that made your pregnancy easier?
I second the maternity leggings recommendation! Leggings became my best friend throughout my pregnancy, and that high waist that stretches over the bump is a God-send. Also can't agree more with the nursing bras - the clips on each side are a must for easy access during those late night nursing sessions.

For me, a big Discovery was the Bump support belt. It helped alleviate the backaches which started in my second trimester, and also supported my bump when walking around or doing light exercise. It really made a huge difference, especially towards the end of my pregnancy when the weight of the bump seemed to strain my hips and back.

And as the weather here in Singapore can get crazy hot and humid, lightweight and breathable scarves were essential for me. Not only did they serve the purpose of covering up while nursing, but also kept me cool and shaded on hot days! I also found that having a few long, lightweight scarves in my bag came in handy for many other reasons - like a quick cover-up when visiting temples or for sitting on, picnicking at the park.

What else...oh ya, shoes! Comfortable slip-on sneakers with good cushioning were my go-to footwear. My feet swelled up towards the end, so having something easy to wear and comfortable was a priority. And of course, they had to look presentable enough for running errands or meeting friends too.

I didn't rely on a whole lot of products, as I found that simplifying my routine and sticking to comfortable, versatile pieces worked best during that overwhelming time. But I'd love to hear about more recommendations too!

I second the nursing bras and pajamas/nightgowns! I found myself living in those during the first few months after giving birth.

Another item I found useful was a breastfeeding friendly dress -- it's handy for when you want to step out of the house but don't want the hassle of arranging multiple pieces of clothing. Plus, they're stylish and no one would guess it's breastfeeding attire!

I also liked having a portable mini fan while nursing, to keep my little one cool and comfortable during late night feeds. It was a cheap yet effective gadget that I used a lot!

What other practical gadgets did you find helpful during your pregnancy or early motherhood days?

I agree on the nursing-friendly clothing - it's so convenient and no one would guess the clothing is tailored for breastfeeding!

I found a wearable breast pump pretty useful too, especially when I wanted to pump hands-free or go out without lugging around a heavy pump. Also, some comfortable slippers or indoor shoes are a must-have for me; something easy to slip on and off since you're always stepping in and out of the house for various reasons haha.

And yes, keeping the baby cool during late-night feeds is important! I didn't think of a mini fan, that's a great idea. I'd also recommend muslin swaddle blankets - they're versatile and useful for so many things beyond swaddling.

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and happyfeet
Nursing-friendly clothing is a godsend! No one would ever know the difference, but you're so comfortable breastfeeding.

I also loved my wearable pump; it was a lifesaver whenever I needed hands-free pumping or wanted to step out without the bulk and weight of my regular pump.

So true about the footwear--I felt like I was always stepping out to get something or check on the baby, so having something easy to slip on and off became crucial.

Muslin swaddle blankets are a genius idea; they're so versatile and soft too! They've got so many uses beyond swaddling, and they're great for keeping the baby cozy without being too warm.

A mini fan is definitely a great addition for those late-night feeds--keeping the baby cool is such an important point!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Nursing-friendly clothing is a godsend! No one would ever know the difference, but you're so comfortable breastfeeding.

I also loved my wearable pump; it was a lifesaver whenever I needed hands-free pumping or wanted to step out without the bulk and weight of my regular pump.

So true about the footwear--I felt like I was always stepping out to get something or check on the baby, so having something easy to slip on and off became crucial.

Muslin swaddle blankets are a genius idea; they're so versatile and soft too! They've got so many uses beyond swaddling, and they're great for keeping the baby cozy without being too warm.

A mini fan is definitely a great addition for those late-night feeds--keeping the baby cool is such an important point!
You've mentioned some great points about the versatility of maternity clothes that are often not given enough emphasis! It's surprising how multifunctional they are, like the nursing dresses and bras.

On another note, I found a nasal aspirator a saviour when my kid was struggling with a stuffy nose, especially during those late nights. It's a simple device but makes a huge difference in alleviating your baby's discomfort. Also, these days, there are quite a few ergonomic models that are easy to use and comfortable for the baby too.

What other unique and practical items did you find helpful?

You've mentioned some great points about the versatility of maternity clothes that are often not given enough emphasis! It's surprising how multifunctional they are, like the nursing dresses and bras.

On another note, I found a nasal aspirator a saviour when my kid was struggling with a stuffy nose, especially during those late nights. It's a simple device but makes a huge difference in alleviating your baby's discomfort. Also, these days, there are quite a few ergonomic models that are easy to use and comfortable for the baby too.

Oh yeah, those nasal aspirators are a lifesaver! I remember feeling so helpless when my baby had her first stuffy nose. It's great how something so simple can help them breathe easy again.

For me, a must-have was a portable white noise machine. My baby was easily disturbed by noises when trying to sleep, so having a small machine that blocked out the sounds was helpful, especially when we were out and about.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: lioness and luciana

Nursing clothing is incredibly underrated in terms of its convenience! It's also great how it allows you to nurse discretely without attracting attention.

A nasal aspirator is a brilliant mention! It's such a simple device but can be a lifesaver when your little one is under the weather, and they're so relieved after using it. They look so comfortable too, which is a bonus.

I found that having a small, portable sound machine was quite soothing for my baby, and it helped to create a white noise environment which was comforting for nap time or during the nights. Some also have a night light function, which is handy when you're trying not to switch on the main lights during feedings.

A few snacks kept in the nursery were also a godsend--hunger pangs could strike at any time, and it was nice to have something yummy and easy to reach for instead of having to go downstairs to the kitchen!

Nursing clothing is incredibly underrated in terms of its convenience! It's also great how it allows you to nurse discretely without attracting attention.

A nasal aspirator is a brilliant mention! It's such a simple device but can be a lifesaver when your little one is under the weather, and they're so relieved after using it. They look so comfortable too, which is a bonus.

I found that having a small, portable sound machine was quite soothing for my baby, and it helped to create a white noise environment which was comforting for nap time or during the nights. Some also have a night light function, which is handy when you're trying not to switch on the main lights during feedings.

A few snacks kept in the nursery were also a godsend--hunger pangs could strike at any time, and it was nice to have something yummy and easy to reach for instead of having to go downstairs to the kitchen!
Having easily accessible snacks is a clever idea that can save you from hunger pangs or low energy spells! Keeping them in the nursery ensures you always have a quick bite nearby.

A portable sound machine is new territory I hadn't explored--the white noise and night light functions certainly add a comforting element, especially when trying to keep things hushed during nap time. These thoughtful inventions make parenting just a little easier!

Snacks are such a good point - sometimes it feels like you're always either eating or feeding someone else! I found having some quick, tasty and healthy snacks to hand made a big difference.

I also found comfort in some of the more practical gadgets towards the latter half of my pregnancy when the reality of a newborn's needs hit home! A portable sound machine is genius - I wish I'd thought of it! Anything that helps create a soothing environment for naps is a win in my book; it can be such a delicate balance those first few weeks.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
Snacks are such a good point - sometimes it feels like you're always either eating or feeding someone else! I found having some quick, tasty and healthy snacks to hand made a big difference.

I also found comfort in some of the more practical gadgets towards the latter half of my pregnancy when the reality of a newborn's needs hit home! A portable sound machine is genius - I wish I'd thought of it! Anything that helps create a soothing environment for naps is a win in my book; it can be such a delicate balance those first few weeks.
Yeah, it's amazing how hungry you can get with all the feeding and snacking throughout the day (and night). Having some tasty treats nearby can be a nice pick-me-up during all the exhaustion.

I agree that focusing on those practical solutions helps prepare you for the reality of having a newborn. So many things to learn and figure out, and it's great when you discover something that helps make your life easier - especially when it comes to catching some sleep!

Yeah, it's amazing how hungry you can get with all the feeding and snacking throughout the day (and night). Having some tasty treats nearby can be a nice pick-me-up during all the exhaustion.

I agree that focusing on those practical solutions helps prepare you for the reality of having a newborn. So many things to learn and figure out, and it's great when you discover something that helps make your life easier - especially when it comes to catching some sleep!
It's a good idea to stock up on different types of snacks - you never know what you're gonna crave!
The excitement of preparing for a newborn can sometimes oversee the practical aspects of parenting, so it's helpful to have these insights. It's a great way to prepare and mentally adjust too!

Snacks are a must-have because you won't always have the energy or time to fix yourself a meal, and craving satisfaction is important! It's also good to stay ahead of any potential hunger pangs, especially with all the demands of a newborn. Practicality and preparation go a long way in those first few weeks, so it's great to be mindful of these things.

Snacks are a must-have because you won't always have the energy or time to fix yourself a meal, and craving satisfaction is important! It's also good to stay ahead of any potential hunger pangs, especially with all the demands of a newborn. Practicality and preparation go a long way in those first few weeks, so it's great to be mindful of these things.
Having a stash of snacks prepares you for unexpected hungry moments, and they're a real lifesaver when your hands are full dealing with the baby. You never know what cravings might strike, as you mentioned! It's exciting yet challenging to navigate through parenthood, so every little helping hand helps.

Moms-to-be being reminded of these practical tips is comforting and often eye-opening! It's amazing how focusing on the functional aspects can make you realize there's so much more to prepare for than just the birth itself.

You're absolutely right, it's easy to get wrapped up in the excitement and forget about all the practical things to plan for! I found making a list of everything you can think of - from the hospital stay to baby feeding essentials - helps make sure you don't miss anything. It's also a good idea to prepare a hospital bag checklist too, so you're not stressed trying to pack when the time comes!

You're absolutely right, it's easy to get wrapped up in the excitement and forget about all the practical things to plan for! I found making a list of everything you can think of - from the hospital stay to baby feeding essentials - helps make sure you don't miss anything. It's also a good idea to prepare a hospital bag checklist too, so you're not stressed trying to pack when the time comes!
Making a checklist is a wise and organised move because there's a lot to think about and remember, especially for first-time parents. There's no harm in being over-prepared - it helps give peace of mind! It's exciting to envision all the different ways you can prepare for your little one's arrival.

You are very detailed-oriented and thorough in your preparations, down to listing everything you need for the hospital stay. Packing for the unexpected is helpful advice, especially for first-time mothers, as they tend to focus mostly on the baby essentials. The excitement and nervousness of it all may also lead to forgetfulness!

You are very detailed-oriented and thorough in your preparations, down to listing everything you need for the hospital stay. Packing for the unexpected is helpful advice, especially for first-time mothers, as they tend to focus mostly on the baby essentials. The excitement and nervousness of it all may also lead to forgetfulness!
Being prepared for the unknown is a good strategy - you never know what might come in handy at the hospital! First-time parents have so much to learn and discover; their enthusiasm coupled with the unknown makes experiences vary widely, so extra prep work certainly helps. It's a great idea to have some patience and understanding for yourself as well - these things take time to figure out!

Reactions: joyful
Totally agreed! Better safe than sorry, so bring all the essentials along because you won't want to nip home if you forget something. And patience and understanding for yourself is absolutely vital - your body has gone through a lot, so give it some TLC! Newborns are complex little beings so learning about their needs and likes takes time - lots of time actually! So having prepped and packed carefully can definitely help calm those first-time parent nerves too.

• Haha
Reactions: joyful

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu