• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddlers

Book time is definitely one of the highlights of toddlerhood! I love how their minds run wild with imagination, it's fascinating to see their take on the stories :)
That's true! It's amazing how engaging books can foster their creativity and enhance their language skills too. They're developing a love for stories which will stay with them as they grow up. Something so simple yet very impactful.

Engaging books and fostering a love for reading is instrumental in their holistic development. It's heartening to see how these simple habits can have long-lasting impacts on toddlers! We can help them explore diverse themes, characters, and plots too, as they embark on a lifetime journey of reading.

Exposing toddlers to a variety of literature helps develop their cognitive abilities and fosters their imagination. It's amazing how something as simple as reading together can have such a profound impact on their intellectual and emotional growth.

It also allows for some lovely bonding time and creates beautiful memories! Reading can definitely leave a lasting impression and help spark an interest that lasts a lifetime. We want to instill a love of learning at an early age, and literature is a wonderful gateway!

Exposing toddlers to a variety of literature helps develop their cognitive abilities and fosters their imagination. It's amazing how something as simple as reading together can have such a profound impact on their intellectual and emotional growth.

It also allows for some lovely bonding time and creates beautiful memories! Reading can definitely leave a lasting impression and help spark an interest that lasts a lifetime. We want to instill a love of learning at an early age, and literature is a wonderful gateway!
Reading opens up a new world, sparks curiosity, and creates a special bond between the reader and toddler. It's a fun and exciting way to expose them to different perspectives and stimulate their young minds!

What are some of your favorite go-to books or storytelling techniques for young toddlers? I'm sure many parents would love some fresh ideas!

Reading opens up a new world, sparks curiosity, and creates a special bond between the reader and toddler. It's a fun and exciting way to expose them to different perspectives and stimulate their young minds!

What are some of your favorite go-to books or storytelling techniques for young toddlers? I'm sure many parents would love some fresh ideas!
I find that simple and short stories with colorful visuals are a big hit with the tot's. Toddlers have a short attention span, so it is important to keep the readings snappy and engaging with interesting pictures to capture their curious minds.

Some of my favorites include the classic 'Corduroy' and the charming 'Goodnight Moon'. Storytime with Mama, a local series of books, is also a huge hit in our household. It revolves around the adventures of two young siblings, giving a nice twist of familiarity and realism.

I also like to mix things up by going beyond conventional storytelling. For instance, I might act out some stories using puppets, or tell them in a whispery voice while snuggling. Changing the narration style definitely keeps my little one on her toes!

Outside of books, I'd recommend adding props and manipulation toys to the mix. This brings a nice physical dimension to the whole experience and encourages interaction.

What about you? Do share your go-to reads or storytelling tips - we parents gotta stick together and share the bookish love!

Some great ideas here! I especially like the suggestion of acting out stories using puppets - very cute and interactive.

I also have a few tricks up my sleeve which work well with keeping my little one engaged. For instance, I often pause during the story and ask questions relating to the pictures or plot to keep her mind active and engaged. Or, I might change the pace by reading the story in different voices - sometimes whispering, sometimes loud and boisterous - keeping her guessing!

I agree that visual stimulation is key, so I try to find books with plenty of colorful illustrations. My daughter also loves it when I point out different shapes and objects, especially when we are reading non-fiction. It's amazing how engaging a simple picture book can be - often the simplest stories are the winners!

I'll have to check out the titles you mentioned - they're new to me! Always good to find some new favorites.

Some great ideas here! I especially like the suggestion of acting out stories using puppets - very cute and interactive.

I also have a few tricks up my sleeve which work well with keeping my little one engaged. For instance, I often pause during the story and ask questions relating to the pictures or plot to keep her mind active and engaged. Or, I might change the pace by reading the story in different voices - sometimes whispering, sometimes loud and boisterous - keeping her guessing!

I agree that visual stimulation is key, so I try to find books with plenty of colorful illustrations. My daughter also loves it when I point out different shapes and objects, especially when we are reading non-fiction. It's amazing how engaging a simple picture book can be - often the simplest stories are the winners!

I'll have to check out the titles you mentioned - they're new to me! Always good to find some new favorites.
You have a lot of interesting tricks up your sleeve! You sound like a fun and interactive mom. Your little one is lucky to have you. Yes, do check them out and let me know if they become your new favorites!

It's wonderful how you keep your little one engaged with varied tactics like questioning and changing up your reading pace! Toddlers sure keep us on our toes, so it's fun to find creative ways to hold their attention :)

Thank you! I try my best to make story time fun for her, and thankfully it's paying off so far - my little one loves books which makes me so happy! I'm enjoying coming up with different ways to keep her engaged too. Just this morning we were reading about the human body and I made a game out of naming different parts. She really enjoyed it and giggled throughout, which just encourages me to do more. It's such a fun age, though surely challenging at times! Are there any particular tactics you've found successful in keeping your toddler engaged?

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Making story time interactive and turning it into a game is such a great idea! It's wonderful to hear how enthusiastic your little one is about books, giggling along and staying engaged.

To keep my toddler engaged, I often use different props or toys that correspond with the stories we read. For instance, if we're reading a story about animals, I'll have some toy figures ready for her to play with, which really brings the story to life. I also like to pause and ask questions throughout - especially with longer stories - to make sure she's following the plot and to keep her interested and focused. This morning we read a story about the sea, so I had some plastic sea creatures and boats out for some tactile fun!

It's such a great age for imagination and play, and it's so rewarding as a parent to come up with new ways to keep them engaged. I'd love to hear any other ideas too - it's always helpful to have a bank of different tactics!

Making story time interactive and turning it into a game is such a great idea! It's wonderful to hear how enthusiastic your little one is about books, giggling along and staying engaged.

To keep my toddler engaged, I often use different props or toys that correspond with the stories we read. For instance, if we're reading a story about animals, I'll have some toy figures ready for her to play with, which really brings the story to life. I also like to pause and ask questions throughout - especially with longer stories - to make sure she's following the plot and to keep her interested and focused. This morning we read a story about the sea, so I had some plastic sea creatures and boats out for some tactile fun!

It's such a great age for imagination and play, and it's so rewarding as a parent to come up with new ways to keep them engaged. I'd love to hear any other ideas too - it's always helpful to have a bank of different tactics!
That's a clever way to make story time fun and educational by incorporating tactile learning! My tot has a short attention span, so I keep prop boxes labeled with pictures handy. Each story time, I swap out the props relevant to the theme. That keeps him excited about the surprises inside each box and engaged throughout the entire book. I also like your idea of asking questions to ensure he understands the story because most of the time, parents like us just realize they have no clue what their toddlers are thinking!

That's a clever way to make story time fun and educational by incorporating tactile learning! My tot has a short attention span, so I keep prop boxes labeled with pictures handy. Each story time, I swap out the props relevant to the theme. That keeps him excited about the surprises inside each box and engaged throughout the entire book. I also like your idea of asking questions to ensure he understands the story because most of the time, parents like us just realize they have no clue what their toddlers are thinking!
Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you have found a way to keep your tot engaged during story time too! It is certainly challenging to capture their attention and keep them focused, but your method of adding surprise elements is a great way to sustain their excitement.

It's encouraging to know that other parents are also thinking of innovative ways to enhance their toddlers' reading experience. Keep sharing your ideas; I find them helpful!

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you have found a way to keep your tot engaged during story time too! It is certainly challenging to capture their attention and keep them focused, but your method of adding surprise elements is a great way to sustain their excitement.

It's encouraging to know that other parents are also thinking of innovative ways to enhance their toddlers' reading experience. Keep sharing your ideas; I find them helpful!
It's great to hear there are other parents out there with fun, innovative ways to keep storytime interesting! I find it a challenging but rewarding task to keep my little one engaged during reading time. I'm always happy to hear about new ideas!

Keep the creative ideas coming! It's inspiring to hear of parents going the extra mile with fun props, costumes and dramatic readings - anything to keep those little minds engaged. My current go-to trick is using stuffed toys as additional characters in the story - my kiddo loves it when their favourite cuddly toy comes to life within the tale!

That's a clever idea! I'll have to remember that for when my niece visits; she's at the age where she's easily excited, so seeing her favourite stuffie 'come alive' would be a real thrill. I usually go for props too - anything from scarfs, bubbles and play food to little toys that complement the story. It's fun to really immerse them in the narrative.

That's a clever idea! I'll have to remember that for when my niece visits; she's at the age where she's easily excited, so seeing her favourite stuffie 'come alive' would be a real thrill. I usually go for props too - anything from scarfs, bubbles and play food to little toys that complement the story. It's fun to really immerse them in the narrative.
Simple prop-based activities can create a whole new world for toddlers! It is heartening to know that you pay so much attention to detail in creating an immersive storytelling experience. I'm sure your niece must be very fortunate to have you around.

Do you also recommend any books that complement such creative and engaging storytelling sessions? Perhaps other users here might benefit from some children's literature suggestions!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
Simple prop additions can bring stories to life and excite young imaginations! I remember doing something similar with my kids and their friends when they were younger, and it always added a special twist to the bedtime routine.

Simple prop-based activities can create a whole new world for toddlers! It is heartening to know that you pay so much attention to detail in creating an immersive storytelling experience. I'm sure your niece must be very fortunate to have you around.

Do you also recommend any books that complement such creative and engaging storytelling sessions? Perhaps other users here might benefit from some children's literature suggestions!
I'm glad you asked about books because there are many wonderful books that can help young readers immerse themselves in the world of their imagination!

For toddler-aged readers, it's helpful to have a variety of colorful and lively picture books with different themes to spark their interest. Stories with a lot of visuals and few words, or even wordless storybooks, are great for toddlers because they allow room for interpretation and encourage little ones to develop their own narratives.

My favorites include "Good Night, Gorilla" by Peggy Rathmann, which has few words but so much going on in the illustrations. It's funny and engaging and lends itself to lots of giggles. For something wordless, I'd recommend "The Red Boat" by Gita Wolf, which has intricate ink drawings that can spark discussions about cultures different from our own.

Another great one is "Harriet's Bath" by Jeremy Tankard, a cute story with lots of humor and great for encouraging toddler participation. The repetitive phrases are enjoyable for young readers and getting them engaged in the story.

Of course, these books might be harder to find nowadays, but they're worth the search! They have interesting plots, beautiful illustrations, and diverse characters that Toddlers will love and remember!

What are some of your favorite books that you've discovered? It'd be great to hear about new and classic stories that engage toddlers' imaginations!

For toddler-friendly books that complement imaginative play, I suggest the "Maisy" series by Lucy Cousins. The simple storylines and vibrant illustrations are perfect for young kids and offer a fun, interactive experience. The stories are short and engaging, ideal for maintaining a toddler's attention span.

Simple prop additions can bring stories to life and excite young imaginations! I remember doing something similar with my kids and their friends when they were younger, and it always added a special twist to the bedtime routine.
Little things like props can make storytelling time extra fun and memorable for toddlers! It's an easy and creative way to keep them engaged and interested.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu