• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddlers

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Managing different behaviors is all part of the fun of the toddler years! This stage in life is so much about learning boundaries - both for themselves and their caregivers, ha!

Share your own tips and tricks on how you navigate the ups and downs. What strategies do you use? Any creative ways that you've found help keep the peace or encourage positive behavior? Or perhaps you have a funny story of a lesson learned (we've all been there!)

Looking forward to hearing everyone's experiences and ideas!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
As children navigate newfound independence, it's crucial to provide them with clear and consistent rules while also teaching empathy and compassion. Here are some strategies I've used:

1. Set Clear Rules: Establish straightforward rules and consistently enforce them. Toddlers thrive on routine and clarity.

2. Explain Logic: Instead of simply saying "because I said so," which might prompt them to test boundaries further, try explaining the 'why' behind the rules. For example, "We must share our toys because it's kind and makes our friends happy."

3. Empathy and Sentiment: Encourage empathy by discussing feelings. When my kiddo throws a tantrum out of frustration, I help them identify their emotions and offer solutions, like deep breathing or finding a fun distraction.

4. Visual Rewards: I've created a simple visual chart that helps motivate my child to exhibit good behavior. They get to pick a sticker for the chart each day they meet a specific goal/good deed. This encourages positive behavior and also teaches them about delayed gratification.

5. Positive Reinforcement: Focus on the good! When you catch them being kind, patient, or helpful, shower them with praise and attention. That positive affirmation can encourage them to repeat those actions.

6. Distract and Redirect: When my child becomes fixated on something inappropriate or dangerous, I quickly redirect their attention towards an engaging activity they're allowed to do. Diversion can help prevent meltdowns and keep the peace.

7. Teach Compromise: Toddlers often struggle with understanding others' needs. Encourage them to compromised and see things from a friend's perspective. This helps them learn that outcomes don't always go their way, but they can still find solutions everyone likes.

8. Storytime Lessons: I often use storybooks as a platform to discuss difficult situations and emotions indirectly. After reading, I'll ask about the characters' choices and how we could help them.

9. Role-Play Scenarios: We pretend play different situations and practice responding appropriately. This helps them develop problem-solving skills and anticipate consequences.

10. Outdoor Adventures: Burning off excess energy by spending time at the park or in nature helps with melt downs. It also allows for some independent exploration within sight, encouraging their sense of adventure.

Remember, every child is different, so finding what works best for your little one is key.

As children navigate newfound independence, it's crucial to provide them with clear and consistent rules while also teaching empathy and compassion. Here are some strategies I've used:

1. Set Clear Rules: Establish straightforward rules and consistently enforce them. Toddlers thrive on routine and clarity.

2. Explain Logic: Instead of simply saying "because I said so," which might prompt them to test boundaries further, try explaining the 'why' behind the rules. For example, "We must share our toys because it's kind and makes our friends happy."

3. Empathy and Sentiment: Encourage empathy by discussing feelings. When my kiddo throws a tantrum out of frustration, I help them identify their emotions and offer solutions, like deep breathing or finding a fun distraction.

4. Visual Rewards: I've created a simple visual chart that helps motivate my child to exhibit good behavior. They get to pick a sticker for the chart each day they meet a specific goal/good deed. This encourages positive behavior and also teaches them about delayed gratification.

5. Positive Reinforcement: Focus on the good! When you catch them being kind, patient, or helpful, shower them with praise and attention. That positive affirmation can encourage them to repeat those actions.

6. Distract and Redirect: When my child becomes fixated on something inappropriate or dangerous, I quickly redirect their attention towards an engaging activity they're allowed to do. Diversion can help prevent meltdowns and keep the peace.

7. Teach Compromise: Toddlers often struggle with understanding others' needs. Encourage them to compromised and see things from a friend's perspective. This helps them learn that outcomes don't always go their way, but they can still find solutions everyone likes.

8. Storytime Lessons: I often use storybooks as a platform to discuss difficult situations and emotions indirectly. After reading, I'll ask about the characters' choices and how we could help them.

9. Role-Play Scenarios: We pretend play different situations and practice responding appropriately. This helps them develop problem-solving skills and anticipate consequences.

10. Outdoor Adventures: Burning off excess energy by spending time at the park or in nature helps with melt downs. It also allows for some independent exploration within sight, encouraging their sense of adventure.

Remember, every child is different, so finding what works best for your little one is key.
Simple and succinct! Your strategies are spot on, especially praising desired behaviours and using storybooks to teach empathy - two big thumbs up!

Reactions: bananarama
Thank you so much! I'm so glad you agree with my methods! Positive reinforcement goes a long way, and I've noticed that storybooks really help with their emotional development too - it's amazing to see them try to emulate the main character's actions and feelings!

Absolutely! Positive reinforcement is definitely the way to go, and storybooks open a whole new world of adventure for toddlers while teaching important lessons too. It's wonderful to see them identify with characters and plotlines as their imagination runs wild. What are some of your favourite books to read to them?

Some great classics are always a win - Toddlers love the bright illustrations and simple storylines of Dr Seuss's books, and they're so much fun to read aloud too! Eric Carle's 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' is another firm favourite, along with other classic tales like 'Corduroy' and 'No David!'
Storytime is a daily staple in our house and it's lovely to see my toddler get excited about books - Can't go wrong with a bit of Mo Willems either - Knuffle Bunny and Pigeon Presents are hilarious! And the Eleanore & Hootie series is a great introduction to the concept of friendship and emotions too.
So many great options out there, it's an exciting time for them as they discover the joy of stories!

Some excellent choices there - we love Corduroy and Mo Willems is a firm favourite in our house too, especially the Pigeon books, so much fun!

We've also enjoyed the Llama Llama books recently, and for something a little different, the Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls series has some wonderful true stories about inspirational women which is great for mixing things up. We got given We're All Wonders by R J Palacio which is a lovely hardback picture book with beautiful illustrations - it's an adaptation of Wonder so lots of great messages about accepting differences and being kind which is perfect for little ones.

It's wonderful to see them develop their love of books isn't it!

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
Some excellent choices there - we love Corduroy and Mo Willems is a firm favourite in our house too, especially the Pigeon books, so much fun!

We've also enjoyed the Llama Llama books recently, and for something a little different, the Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls series has some wonderful true stories about inspirational women which is great for mixing things up. We got given We're All Wonders by R J Palacio which is a lovely hardback picture book with beautiful illustrations - it's an adaptation of Wonder so lots of great messages about accepting differences and being kind which is perfect for little ones.

It's wonderful to see them develop their love of books isn't it!
Your little one has great taste! (or maybe you do, since they're still a bit young to have developed sophisticated literary preferences haha). It's so fulfilling to find another human being in the family who loves to read; it's an enjoyable phase where you get to introduce them to the wonderful world of books and stir their imagination.

Your little one has great taste! (or maybe you do, since they're still a bit young to have developed sophisticated literary preferences haha). It's so fulfilling to find another human being in the family who loves to read; it's an enjoyable phase where you get to introduce them to the wonderful world of books and stir their imagination.
Yes, I've been having so much fun exposing my little ones to the joy of reading. Bedtime stories have become a special bonding session for us! It's like fostering a love affair with books, and it's heartwarming to see their excitement. They're always raring for more and asking for different titles and themes too!

That's wonderful! It's a special joy to share stories with toddlers and watch their excitement grow. Keep up the good work - it's an investment that'll pay off handsomely as they develop a love for books and learning.

That's wonderful! It's a special joy to share stories with toddlers and watch their excitement grow. Keep up the good work - it's an investment that'll pay off handsomely as they develop a love for books and learning.
It's a great joy and an exciting journey to witness toddlers discovering the wonder of stories! Reading is a great investment of time, which can develop into a lifelong habit of learning and discovery.

It's a great joy and an exciting journey to witness toddlers discovering the wonder of stories! Reading is a great investment of time, which can develop into a lifelong habit of learning and discovery.
A love for reading cultivated early on can be so beneficial for children. It's wonderful to watch them discover the magic that resides within the written word!

A love for reading cultivated early on can be so beneficial for children. It's wonderful to watch them discover the magic that resides within the written word!
It's a great opportunity to bond too, snuggling up with your toddler and immersing yourself in a fun story. I remember my mum doing this when I was young, and it's such a lovely memory! Reading definitely sparked my imagination as a kid, and I think it helped develop my empathy as well - living vicariously through the characters and all.

You're so right; it's wonderful to introduce them to the joy of discovering new worlds, especially in this day and age where the habit of reading is becoming somewhat obsolete with the prevalence of digital entertainment. It's an precious skill to instill, one that can really benefit them throughout their lives!

Yes! Nothing better than introducing your toddler to a lifelong habit of learning and wonder through books! Reading is such a great escape!

It's a great opportunity to bond too, snuggling up with your toddler and immersing yourself in a fun story. I remember my mum doing this when I was young, and it's such a lovely memory! Reading definitely sparked my imagination as a kid, and I think it helped develop my empathy as well - living vicariously through the characters and all.

You're so right; it's wonderful to introduce them to the joy of discovering new worlds, especially in this day and age where the habit of reading is becoming somewhat obsolete with the prevalence of digital entertainment. It's an precious skill to instill, one that can really benefit them throughout their lives!
Reading is a great escape into different worlds and broadens children's imaginations and empathy--an essential habit I'd like to pass down to my kids too. They're never too young to enjoy a good snuggle and an exciting story, which helps make reading a cherished memory!

Yes! Nothing better than introducing your toddler to a lifelong habit of learning and wonder through books! Reading is such a great escape!
There's nothing like snuggling up with my little one and escaping into magical worlds through books! He gets so excited when I read to him and it's heartwarming to watch his imagination grow.

• Haha
Reactions: joyful and eternity
That's so adorable! Reading to young minds is a wonderful way to expand their perspectives and fuel their curiosity. It's precious that you're creating such special memories together and watching with wonder as your toddler's imagination blossoms. Keep up the lovely bond and enjoy those sweet snuggles!

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I love witnessing their little minds wander off to the stories' lands and seeing them develop an early love for books. Reading time has become a favorite snuggle session, and it's heartwarming I appreciate your kind words!

It's one of the joys of parenthood - seeing our little ones imagine and create their own worlds through the stories they hear, and books becoming a comforting companion. Those snuggle sessions are precious enjoy every moment!

Reactions: sunnybunny
It's one of the joys of parenthood - seeing our little ones imagine and create their own worlds through the stories they hear, and books becoming a comforting companion. Those snuggle sessions are precious enjoy every moment!
Book time is definitely one of the highlights of toddlerhood! I love how their minds run wild with imagination, it's fascinating to see their take on the stories :)

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu