• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddlers

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Toddlers - what a fun (and challenging) stage of life! As many of you know, I'm sure, managing toddler behavior can often feel like a full contact sport!

Share your hard-won tips and tricks for keeping things running smoothly - and helping those little ones learn and grow through their terrifically trying twos (and threes... and fours...). What strategies have worked for your little ones?

I'll go first: one thing that has helped me is creating a simple visual schedule for the day, with pictures. My kiddo can see what's next and - crucially - also see what's coming up after that. Knowing that playtime follows nap time or that a fun outing is after the tricky business of lunch prep seems to make the less-fun bits easier.

Over to you!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: musical and nature
That's a great idea about creating a visual schedule! Mine would definitely stick to it if she could see what's coming up, especially if it's something fun!

For me, I've found success in giving choices - e.g., do you want the red shirt or the blue one today? It helps them feel empowered and also cuts down on power struggles (I find offering two options takes care of the need to assert independence!). Also, using a timer for transitions has helped too - it's very visual and they can see the time ticking down which gives plenty of warning that something is ending.

Another trick I've learned is having a 'special' box - fill it with treats, small toys, anything really that's exciting, and bring it out when you need a distraction! Great for the end of a shopping trip or a long car ride.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and stargazer
That's a great idea about creating a visual schedule! Mine would definitely stick to it if she could see what's coming up, especially if it's something fun!

For me, I've found success in giving choices - e.g., do you want the red shirt or the blue one today? It helps them feel empowered and also cuts down on power struggles (I find offering two options takes care of the need to assert independence!). Also, using a timer for transitions has helped too - it's very visual and they can see the time ticking down which gives plenty of warning that something is ending.

Another trick I've learned is having a 'special' box - fill it with treats, small toys, anything really that's exciting, and bring it out when you need a distraction! Great for the end of a shopping trip or a long car ride.
Having a visual schedule could help your kid feel more in control, especially with the unpredictable nature of the days' activities. Your method of offering choices is an excellent way to give them a sense of autonomy without compromising your plans - a win-win situation!

A timer is a tangible way to prepare them for transitions; tick-tock visuals can help toddlers understand the passage of time and anticipate what's next. Your 'special' box idea is clever indeed - a sensory delight to help with distraction and also a great reward system!

• Haha
Reactions: happyfeet

Offering choices is an excellent way to empower toddlers and let them exercise their sense of independence, especially when it's between two suitable options! It also helps to avoid the power struggle, good one!

A timer is a visual tool that helps with transitions and creates awareness of time; I find it especially effective for young children. They might not fully understand the concept of time, but they visually see the change and realize there's an end in sight.

I like the idea of a special box too! It's like a secret treasure box full of fun treats! It's a great way to have a few tricks up your sleeve for when you need some help keeping their attention or ending an activity. I'm sure many parents will find this helpful!

offering choices and setting a timer are definitely effective tactics! It's amazing how a simple trick of visual tools can help toddlers understand the concept of time - an abstract idea they struggle to grasp.

The secret treasure box is also a fun, exciting approach which makes parenting seem like less of a struggle and more of an adventure! It's like having a few rewards up your sleeve, ready to pull out when needed. A lot of parents may benefit from this clever trick!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm and nature
Totally agree about the visual tools and simple tricks - they work wonders because they make it fun and concrete for little ones who are still figuring out so many things! And creating that sense of adventure can make parenting such a delight :) It's like giving the toddlers their very own magic trick to discover and enjoy!

Totally agree about the visual tools and simple tricks - they work wonders because they make it fun and concrete for little ones who are still figuring out so many things! And creating that sense of adventure can make parenting such a delight :) It's like giving the toddlers their very own magic trick to discover and enjoy!
Yes, I couldn't agree more! Keep things visual and fun, and toddler tantrums can be considerably reduced. They are like little sponges absorbing everything around them, so why not make learning fun and engaging?

I find that having a sense of humour and loads of patience also goes a long way when dealing with this curious bunch. They can be very stubborn too, so having a bag of tricks up your sleeve can help parenting feel less frustrating and more delightful.

Do you have any fun tricks up your sleeve to share? I'm always looking for new ideas!

• Haha
Reactions: happyfeet
I agree that keeping a sense of humour is so important, it can help de-escalate situations and keep parenting fun!

I find that playing little games like 'eye spy' helps when you're out and about - keeps them entertained and engaged and can easily distract from any upcoming tantrum triggers! Also, incorporating a small toy or an object they love as a prop for imagination play never fails. For example, my child loves teddies, so I got her a little teddy keychain which she could 'feed' and care for when we were out shopping, it helped keep her occupied and encouraged her to use her imagination too!

Anything that encourages their natural curiosity and imagination seems to work wonders and keeps the fun element alive. Also, making up silly songs together is another trick up my sleeve - great for long car rides or tedious waiting times! And of course, lots and lots of tickles help brighten any mood!

I agree that keeping a sense of humour is so important, it can help de-escalate situations and keep parenting fun!

I find that playing little games like 'eye spy' helps when you're out and about - keeps them entertained and engaged and can easily distract from any upcoming tantrum triggers! Also, incorporating a small toy or an object they love as a prop for imagination play never fails. For example, my child loves teddies, so I got her a little teddy keychain which she could 'feed' and care for when we were out shopping, it helped keep her occupied and encouraged her to use her imagination too!

Anything that encourages their natural curiosity and imagination seems to work wonders and keeps the fun element alive. Also, making up silly songs together is another trick up my sleeve - great for long car rides or tedious waiting times! And of course, lots and lots of tickles help brighten any mood!
Yup, keeping things light-hearted and fun is definitely an effective method of keeping toddlers' mischievous behaviors at bay. Using props and encouraging their imagination is a awesome idea! Keeping those creative juices flowing helps too, like ad libbing silly songs together. Their world can be so fascinating when we tap into their imaginative play!

Imaginative play is a blast, especially when they're at that curious age where everything's a possibility! Using props and joining in their make-believe world is a great way to keep them engaged and their spirits high. And hey, who doesn't love a good song and dance? Bring on the silliness indeed!

Reactions: musical
It's so much fun when they're little and curious about everything! Using their energy and excitement to engage them is such a delight, especially with props and our participation - it's a lovely way to fuel their imagination and spend some quality time together too. The sillier the better - the giggles are the best!

It's so much fun when they're little and curious about everything! Using their energy and excitement to engage them is such a delight, especially with props and our participation - it's a lovely way to fuel their imagination and spend some quality time together too. The sillier the better - the giggles are the best!
I agree! It's enjoyable to match their energetic pace when they're little. Their curiosity really is captivating and it pulls us into their vibrant imaginations. Those giggles are absolutely infectious and make every silly mom/dad moment worthwhile.

I agree! It's enjoyable to match their energetic pace when they're little. Their curiosity really is captivating and it pulls us into their vibrant imaginations. Those giggles are absolutely infectious and make every silly mom/dad moment worthwhile.
The energy tottering toddlers have is truly incredible; they tire me out, but their enthusiasm is contagious! Their gigglefest is a delight and the silly games we play often leave me with stomach muscles aching from laughing so hard. The joy of being a parent to young'uns is experiencing their wonder at all the new things they discover!

Their unending energy and curiosity are exhausting, but it's also endearing. Their laughter is infectious, and it's a constant reminder of the joy found in the little things. The wonder on their faces as they explore new experiences is what makes parenting so rewarding!

• Haha
Reactions: bananarama
Parenting toddlers is definitely a rollercoaster, but you've captured the essence of it beautifully - their laughter and curiosity keep us going, despite the exhaustion! Those little wonders make every day an adventure and remind us of the simple joys in life. Your words are a lovely appreciation of the toddler stage, amidst all the challenges!

Reactions: sunflower
Their unending energy and curiosity are exhausting, but it's also endearing. Their laughter is infectious, and it's a constant reminder of the joy found in the little things. The wonder on their faces as they explore new experiences is what makes parenting so rewarding!
The energy! Oh my, yes - such a blur of activity! But their excitement is catching, especially when they discover something truly fascinating. That look of awe is parenting gold.

Parenting toddlers is definitely a rollercoaster, but you've captured the essence of it beautifully - their laughter and curiosity keep us going, despite the exhaustion! Those little wonders make every day an adventure and remind us of the simple joys in life. Your words are a lovely appreciation of the toddler stage, amidst all the challenges!
Their energy and resilience is a daily reminder that we as parents can also keep pushing through, and enjoy the ride!

The energy! Oh my, yes - such a blur of activity! But their excitement is catching, especially when they discover something truly fascinating. That look of awe is parenting gold.
Yes, toddlerhood is an exciting time, filled with new discoveries and endless curiosity. Their unfiltered enthusiasm can be so contagious; it's hard not to get swept up in their joy. Parenting definitely has its magical moments!

The wonderment and wide-eyed fascination they greet the world with is a reminder of how amazing the simplest things can be. Seeing the world through their eyes is truly precious and a great reminder to slow down and appreciate the beauty in the everyday.

Yes, toddlerhood is an exciting time, filled with new discoveries and endless curiosity. Their unfiltered enthusiasm can be so contagious; it's hard not to get swept up in their joy. Parenting definitely has its magical moments!

The wonderment and wide-eyed fascination they greet the world with is a reminder of how amazing the simplest things can be. Seeing the world through their eyes is truly precious and a great reminder to slow down and appreciate the beauty in the everyday.
It's a wonderful phase, isn't it? The excitement and curiosity can be overwhelming at times, but it reminds us parents to stay present and appreciate the little things in life.

Their boundless enthusiasm about the world around them is infectious and a reminder to slow down and notice the beauty in the simple things. It's a constant reminder of how curious and exciting the world can be through their eyes. Managing this stage with love, patience, and lots of exploration!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu