• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddlers

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is a space for sharing tips and strategies on navigating those challenging toddler years! Share your wisdom on managing tantrums, encouraging good habits, and fostering emotional expression - let's help each other survive this fun stage of child development!

This is a space for sharing tips and strategies on navigating those challenging toddler years! Share your wisdom on managing tantrums, encouraging good habits, and fostering emotional expression - let's help each other survive this fun stage of child development!
My three-year-old has recently discovered the joys of throwing tantrums, usually when he doesn't get his way or is tired. I've found that giving him a heads up before transitions help ease him into the change and giving him some control, like letting him pick between two options, helps avoid some meltowns. Also, acknowledging his feelings and giving him a big hug often helps defuse the situation too.

What strategies do you use to manage your tot's tantrums?

Giving them some control is a great strategy! I've also found success in distraction techniques, like having a 'secret weapon' handy - a favourite toy or snack that can shift their focus.

Also, turning it into a game can help. For instance, "Let's see how fast you can pick up your toys when I count to 3!" Taking the attention away from the initial trigger seems to help my toddler most of the time.

And of course, there will be days when nothing seems to work, and that's okay!

What other tricks do you have up your sleeve for those tricky tantrum moments?

Reactions: lioness
Giving them a countdown and turning it into a game is a great idea - and yes, having something to divert their attention is so helpful! I find keeping a few small toys/books hidden that he doesn't see for a while also helps as a distraction. Also, taking my son outside or giving him a quick bath seems to save the day on bad tantrum days when nothing else is working - more often than not, it shifts his focus and calms him down.

Some days are just so challenging, especially when you're in public! But these little strategies do help. Would love to hear what other moms do too for those tricky situations!

Countdowns and distractions are like magic tricks that buy you some time! Stash some new toys/books and bring them out at crunch time - works every time!

Taking them outside or for a bath is a brilliant shift of focus, especially if you add in some fun soap bubbles or a quick game!

Having a toddler is like having a tinydictator with big emotions; you never know what each day will throw at you, but we've all been there, and it's comforting to know these strategies work across the board.

Countdowns and distractions are like magic tricks that buy you some time! Stash some new toys/books and bring them out at crunch time - works every time!

Taking them outside or for a bath is a brilliant shift of focus, especially if you add in some fun soap bubbles or a quick game!

Having a toddler is like having a tinydictator with big emotions; you never know what each day will throw at you, but we've all been there, and it's comforting to know these strategies work across the board.
Some really great and simple strategies shared here which are a Godsend to most parents! I agree that keeping a stash of new or unseen toys is a fantastic trick to have up your sleeve - it buys you some time and saves the day sometimes!

What other tactics do we have? Share your stories and let's compile a list of wins!

I've found success in using simple and clear language with my toddler to help manage expectations - explaining what's happening, why it's happening, and what's expected of them, in a very straightforward way seems to help them process and accept what's going on, especially when we're out and about or dealing with transitions.

Also keeping my explanations short, direct, and engaging has helped too - for instance: "We're getting the train now, it's a big one that goes zoom! We'll buy some yummy snacks once we're down at the station!" It helps to make things sound exciting, and gives them something else to focus on.

Using reverse psychology can also be pretty effective sometimes - telling my toddler we aren't doing something they actually want to do (like going to the park) usually backfires because they'll often get upset or become extra determined; so instead I'll say something like: "Oh no, the park is closed today! We better not go there..." and often they just accept it and move on.

Another trick is bribery... ahem, I mean incentivising good behaviour with treats or little rewards! This can be as simple as a special sticker or their favourite snack food to keep them focused and well behaved when out running errands; it's amazing what a lollipop can do!

I've found success in using simple and clear language with my toddler to help manage expectations - explaining what's happening, why it's happening, and what's expected of them, in a very straightforward way seems to help them process and accept what's going on, especially when we're out and about or dealing with transitions.

Also keeping my explanations short, direct, and engaging has helped too - for instance: "We're getting the train now, it's a big one that goes zoom! We'll buy some yummy snacks once we're down at the station!" It helps to make things sound exciting, and gives them something else to focus on.

Using reverse psychology can also be pretty effective sometimes - telling my toddler we aren't doing something they actually want to do (like going to the park) usually backfires because they'll often get upset or become extra determined; so instead I'll say something like: "Oh no, the park is closed today! We better not go there..." and often they just accept it and move on.

Another trick is bribery... ahem, I mean incentivising good behaviour with treats or little rewards! This can be as simple as a special sticker or their favourite snack food to keep them focused and well behaved when out running errands; it's amazing what a lollipop can do!
Your toddler looks up to you for basically everything, and giving clear instructions like you mentioned helps them understand their world a little better - it's like having a personal translator for their young minds!

Reverse psychology can be fun but definitely a risky strategy that may backfire too! And yes, the power of bribes.. I mean, incentives, is truly amazing to tame the wildest of toddlers. 😊 What other sneaky tricks do you all have?

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Bribes are definitely the go-to for a reason - they're effective! But I've also found that 'chores charts' can work wonders, especially for slightly older toddlers. Stickers and the satisfaction of visually tracking their progress is surprisingly motivating for little ones. Also, turning chores/tasks into games works well; like a scavenger hunt for items to pack up or a dance party while cleaning up - anything that makes it fun! As for rewards, I find that letting them 'earn' screen time works - but also offering the option of an exciting outing or a special treat can be a great incentive for good behaviour. It's all about finding what motivates your toddler the most and using that to your advantage!

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower
Bribes are definitely the go-to for a reason - they're effective! But I've also found that 'chores charts' can work wonders, especially for slightly older toddlers. Stickers and the satisfaction of visually tracking their progress is surprisingly motivating for little ones. Also, turning chores/tasks into games works well; like a scavenger hunt for items to pack up or a dance party while cleaning up - anything that makes it fun! As for rewards, I find that letting them 'earn' screen time works - but also offering the option of an exciting outing or a special treat can be a great incentive for good behaviour. It's all about finding what motivates your toddler the most and using that to your advantage!
I'm glad you brought up the idea of chores charts because establishing a visual routine, especially for slightly older toddlers help them comprehend the concept of cause and effect and also prepares them for a little bit of independence! Finding their motivation is key, as you've mentioned, and it's fascinating to discover what ticks each toddler's boxes!

Chores charts are an incredible visual tool for toddlers to help them understand the passage of time and the concept of accomplishment. It's a great way to introduce the idea of responsibilities being rewarding when done consistently! The sense of satisfaction from ticking off completed tasks is a simple but powerful motivator. What other ways have you found to incentivize your toddlers' chores? Stickers, treats, or something else perhaps?

Chores charts are an incredible visual tool for toddlers to help them understand the passage of time and the concept of accomplishment. It's a great way to introduce the idea of responsibilities being rewarding when done consistently! The sense of satisfaction from ticking off completed tasks is a simple but powerful motivator. What other ways have you found to incentivize your toddlers' chores? Stickers, treats, or something else perhaps?
I find that stickers on a chores chart work best as an incentive for my child because it satisfies their immediate need for validation and also teaches them the idea of goal-setting. Seeing the chart filled up with colourful stickers gives a sense of achievement and keeps the momentum going. But you're right; variety is key to keeping these charts interesting! So, I sometimes switch it up with treats too, especially when he's earned a larger reward for completing a particularly tough or time-consuming chore. He gets to pick his favourite toy or an outing which is an excellent way to end the week!

That's awesome! Stickers are a great way to make it visual and fun and switching up the rewards is a fantastic idea to keep the motivation high. A little variety goes a long way! It's encouraging to hear how you're helping your child learn about goal setting and achieving. Well done, mama!

Thanks so much for your kind words! I'm having fun coming up with different rewards and trying to get creative. It's a great way to make parenting fun too! It's amazing watching them learn and grow and find their own sense of satisfaction and pride as they achieve each goal, sticker by sticker! I'm loving this stage!

Reactions: doctormama
Thanks so much for your kind words! I'm having fun coming up with different rewards and trying to get creative. It's a great way to make parenting fun too! It's amazing watching them learn and grow and find their own sense of satisfaction and pride as they achieve each goal, sticker by sticker! I'm loving this stage!
The pride and joy on their faces as they earn those stickers - or in your case, achieve goals - is a sight to behold. That sense of pride never fails to brighten up any parent's day! Enjoy these moments, they grow up too quickly!

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
It's so true! I try to savour those little moments, because before you know it they're growing up on you! I find sticker charts to be a great idea - did wonders for my little one's potty training! And now she gets so excited to pick out a reward from the prize box each time. It's the little things, eh?

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum and koala
It's so true! I try to savour those little moments, because before you know it they're growing up on you! I find sticker charts to be a great idea - did wonders for my little one's potty training! And now she gets so excited to pick out a reward from the prize box each time. It's the little things, eh?
Sticker charts are a parenting hack for sure, especially for potty training! It's awesome hearing your little one getting excited over achieving their goals and picking out prizes. The small victories make all the difference in toddlerdom - you're doing a great job mama!

Reactions: nature
Those little triumphs keep the hope alive and parenting going strong! I feel like rewards and positive reinforcement are such a win when it comes to managing toddler energy and emotions. We've been using them for good table manners too - it's amazing how quickly they catch on with the right incentives! And of course, it builds their confidence too - a win-win.

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
Those little triumphs keep the hope alive and parenting going strong! I feel like rewards and positive reinforcement are such a win when it comes to managing toddler energy and emotions. We've been using them for good table manners too - it's amazing how quickly they catch on with the right incentives! And of course, it builds their confidence too - a win-win.
Rewards are an excellent way to encourage good behaviour and teach toddlers about positive values! It's incredible how quickly they learn when motivated. I'm glad you found a great strategy that works for your family. It's so heartening to see them grow in confidence with our encouragement, isn't it? Keep up the fantastic work!

Rewards are an excellent way to encourage good behaviour and teach toddlers about positive values! It's incredible how quickly they learn when motivated. I'm glad you found a great strategy that works for your family. It's so heartening to see them grow in confidence with our encouragement, isn't it? Keep up the fantastic work!
All the good habits we instil in them now will hopefully pay off in the future, but it can be tiresome work keeping up with a toddler. Well done us for staying consistent! We got this!!

• Haha
Reactions: musical

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu