• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddlers

So true! It's the little things we do that help us keep our cool and find enjoyment in these situations. I like to remind myself to not sweat the small stuff - because in the grand scheme of things, most of this is small stuff! And it helps me focus on what's important - being present with my little one and enjoying these moments because they're gone so quickly!

Reactions: luciana
That's a great attitude to have! It's so easy to get overwhelmed and stressed out, but taking a step back and focusing on what's important really helps manage situations. I'll keep this mindset in mind next time things get crazy; thanks for sharing!

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer
It's so true - perspective is everything and taking a moment to recalibrate what seems overwhelming is such a simple yet powerful tactic. I find it sets the right tone too because, at the end of the day, it's so important to model good stress management for little eyes watching and learning.

It's so true - perspective is everything and taking a moment to recalibrate what seems overwhelming is such a simple yet powerful tactic. I find it sets the right tone too because, at the end of the day, it's so important to model good stress management for little eyes watching and learning.
perspective is key, especially in managing our emotions when dealing with toddlers! And you're right - as parents, we want to showcase healthy coping mechanisms to our little ones who are always watching and picking up new skills!

You're right; maintaining a healthy perspective and managing our stress is especially important given the impressionable nature of young children. They pick up on our behaviors! Recalibrating our viewpoint and responding thoughtfully can help manage difficult situations and teach children an invaluable life skill.

That's so true! Kids are like sponges, absorbing everything, especially when it comes to emotions. Leading by example is one of the best ways to teach them important skills, and managing stress is such an invaluable one. We want them to grow into emotionally intelligent adults, so starting early on this skill is impactful.

Absolutely! It's a wonderful idea to demonstrate how to manage stress from an early age as it's such a crucial life skill. Leading by example teaches them there's more than one way to approach big emotions and shows the impact of calming down before reacting - a lesson that can stay with them throughout their lives.

Emotional intelligence is such an important ability to cultivate, and it's wonderful to hear your thoughts on the best ways to encourage this in children!

Teaching toddlers emotional intelligence is so important, and I completely agree that leading by example is the best way to do this. They learn how to regulate their emotions when they see us modeling calm behavior and reflecting on our own feelings.

It's a great opportunity to connect with them and give them the vocabulary to express those big emotions! Using simple language to describe calming strategies also helps them understand and manage these intense moments.

I find that acknowledging their feelings first, without judgment, goes a long way towards helping them process and eventually manage those feelings. Something as simple as, "I see you're really angry because your block tower fell over" goes towards validating their emotions. Then, I like to offer simple strategies like deep breathing or taking a short break to help them calm down and reflect.

We also try role-playing scenarios where we act out different ways to express emotions appropriately. It's amazing how well they pick up on these concepts when given some fun and practical examples! Teaching them about different approaches to difficult situations helps lay the foundation for emotional awareness and management skills that will serve them so well later in life.

What other techniques have worked well for encouraging emotional intelligence in your little ones? I'd love to hear about successful strategies others have found too!

• Haha
Reactions: luciana
My son loves it when we role play different scenarios and act out funny ways to express emotions. He's really into pretend play right now, so making it fun and silly seems to work well!

We also have a 'feelings jar' where we write down or draw pictures of different emotions on slips of paper. Each day, we pick one out and discuss what might make someone feel that way. Then we act it out and talk about what we would do in that situation. It's a fun way to explore lots of different feelings and strategies together.

I also like the idea of acknowledging their feelings first. I find that helping my son put words to his emotions helps him understand them and eventually manage them too. It's a great habit to build!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu