• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

It's true - the challenges of parenting often connect us and create opportunities for deeper conversations! We can commiserate, share strategies and celebrate each other's small victories. It's encouraging to know we're all doing our best and learning together.

So true! We're all in this together and it helps to know others are encountering similar situations, especially when it comes to managing our little ones' behaviours. Sharing ideas and strategies makes us stronger and more equipped to handle what life with toddlers throws at us. I love hearing about other parents' victories because it gives me hope and inspiration!

Knowing others are going through similar situations is half the battle - knowing we're not alone in this parenting journey makes a world of difference! Sharing our stories and strategies not only helps us feel empowered and heard, but also prepares us for the challenges ahead. Let's keep the ideas and inspiration flowing - it's a wonderful feeling to learn from one another and celebrate each other's victories along the way!

You're absolutely right! This parenting journey can be challenging, and knowing we're not alone is a huge relief. Sharing stories and strategies offers us the chance to learn and grow - celebrating our successes and feeling prepared for the future. Let's keep those ideas flowing and support one another along the way!

Let's hear some more specific challenges you're facing with your toddlers so we can offer tailored advice! I think it'd also be helpful to share our experiences with managing expectations - what realistic behaviours to expect from our little ones based on their age, for example. We can then offer strategies that target those specific developmental stages.

It's so true that we learn and grow so much from one another, and I'm loving hearing everyone's unique insights! Let's continue this supportive conversation.

One of my biggest challenges nowadays is managing my toddler's resistance during diaper changes. She seems to hate it so much and arches her back or rolls around, making the whole process so much harder! Would love to hear strategies for making this a smoother experience - especially since it happens multiple times a day!
Also curious to know about managing expectations; what behaviors are 'normal' for toddlers when it comes to dressing up/getting ready for the day? My little one seems to have an opinion on her outfit every single day and wants a say, which can delay our departure times significantly! Would love tips on getting her more engaged in this process too.

One of my biggest challenges nowadays is managing my toddler's resistance during diaper changes. She seems to hate it so much and arches her back or rolls around, making the whole process so much harder! Would love to hear strategies for making this a smoother experience - especially since it happens multiple times a day!
Also curious to know about managing expectations; what behaviors are 'normal' for toddlers when it comes to dressing up/getting ready for the day? My little one seems to have an opinion on her outfit every single day and wants a say, which can delay our departure times significantly! Would love tips on getting her more engaged in this process too.
Ah yes, the struggles of diaper changes! I totally get how frustrating that can be when it's supposed to be a quick and effortless task.

For resistant toddlers, I've found that giving them a role in the process helps. For instance, you could ask them to help you by passing you the new diaper or wipeys, or even better, distract them with a toy or snack (for those who are past the baby stage). I also make it into more of a game or wrestle playfully with my little one - making oooh and ahhh sounds as if it's a wrestling match. Makes the experience more fun and humorous, and takes their mind off the diaper part.

As for managing expectations, I've come to realize that giving them some autonomy goes a long way in reducing morning or pre-outing meltdowns. Letting them pick between two outfits you select can help reduce tantrums about clothing choices, and also lets them express their style preferences early on (within reason, of course). Explaining the steps and timeline of your morning routine might also help set expectations and prepare them mentally for what's ahead, giving them some warning to get ready.

These may not be full-proof methods, but they've certainly helped make things more manageable!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
Ah yes, the struggles of diaper changes! I totally get how frustrating that can be when it's supposed to be a quick and effortless task.

For resistant toddlers, I've found that giving them a role in the process helps. For instance, you could ask them to help you by passing you the new diaper or wipeys, or even better, distract them with a toy or snack (for those who are past the baby stage). I also make it into more of a game or wrestle playfully with my little one - making oooh and ahhh sounds as if it's a wrestling match. Makes the experience more fun and humorous, and takes their mind off the diaper part.

As for managing expectations, I've come to realize that giving them some autonomy goes a long way in reducing morning or pre-outing meltdowns. Letting them pick between two outfits you select can help reduce tantrums about clothing choices, and also lets them express their style preferences early on (within reason, of course). Explaining the steps and timeline of your morning routine might also help set expectations and prepare them mentally for what's ahead, giving them some warning to get ready.

These may not be full-proof methods, but they've certainly helped make things more manageable!
Providing choices helps to ease some toddler tantrums! Outfits, snacks, or even the choice of whether to have a diaper change now or later can help give them a sense of control and reduce resistance. It's a great workaround that promotes independence too.

What other helpful strategies have worked for others? And are there any other specific challenges you're facing that we could tackle together?

Choices are a genius way to empower toddlers and help them feel involved!

I've also found success with redirecting their attention, especially when they get fixated on something unsafe or inappropriate. For instance, if they're keen on playing with an outlet, I'll offer a toy that's similarly sized or shaped but safer. You could also use distraction as a tool; making a game out of going for a diaper change or singing a silly song seem to work well!

My current struggle is mealtime. My toddler refuses to eat anything but their favorites and gets frustrated when I try to encourage variety. Meal prep ideas that would entice toddlers to eat healthier would be welcome!

Meal preparation can certainly be a challenge, and it's wonderful to hear about your success with redirecting toddlers' attention - it's a tricky yet rewarding phase!

Some mealtime ideas that might entice little ones to explore healthier foods could include:

- Mini muffin meals: Toddlers seem to love anything mini, and foods presented in bite-sized portions somehow taste better! You can pack a nutritional punch by including veggies and fruits. Try making vegetable and fruit mini muffins or even mini frittatas for a protein boost.

- Hidden treasures: Toddler-friendly foods with hidden healthy ingredients might do the trick! For instance, pureed veggies or fruits can be added to pancakes, smoothies, or meatloaf. You'd be surprised how sneaky fun this can be, and it often goes unnoticed by little ones.

- Dipping adventures: Toddlers love to dip and play with their food. Presenting healthy dips like hummus or yogurt with raw veggies for dipping can make meal times fun and encourage the consumption of some nutritious foods.

- Growing gardens: Getting toddlers involved in planting and harvesting their own fruits or vegetables can be an exciting adventure. They might be more inclined to eat something they've grown themselves, especially if it's a fun shape or color!

Remember, it's often about having patience and creativity in presenting food in an appealing way. Good luck and happy mealtime adventures!

Some great ideas here! I especially love the "hidden treasures" trick - it's a fun way to include some extra nutrition without the toddler knowing. I'll definitely be trying the mini muffins too - anything to make meal times easier!

Does anyone have any other patient/creative food presentation ideas that have worked well for their little ones?

Some great ideas here! I especially love the "hidden treasures" trick - it's a fun way to include some extra nutrition without the toddler knowing. I'll definitely be trying the mini muffins too - anything to make meal times easier!

Does anyone have any other patient/creative food presentation ideas that have worked well for their little ones?
My toddler absolutely loves her foods cut up into tiny, bite sized pieces - almost like a kids' tea set portion. She feels so grown up eating dainty portions, and it's less daunting than a full-sized sandwich or salad for her. I often use cookie cutters to shape her sandwiches or fruits too, which encourages her to take more bites. It's amazing how a simple cuteness factor can make food more appealing!

My toddler absolutely loves her foods cut up into tiny, bite sized pieces - almost like a kids' tea set portion. She feels so grown up eating dainty portions, and it's less daunting than a full-sized sandwich or salad for her. I often use cookie cutters to shape her sandwiches or fruits too, which encourages her to take more bites. It's amazing how a simple cuteness factor can make food more appealing!
It's wonderful how something as simple as shaping food differently can encourage toddlers to explore their meals. I love the idea of using cookie cutters for fruit and sandwiches - it adds a bit of fun and definitely makes eating feel less daunting!

What other fun tricks do you have up your sleeve to share? Any specific challenges Mums and Dads are facing that we could tackle together?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu