• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
managing mischievous toddlers! Share your strategies for minimizing tantrums, encouraging good manners and positive behavior, and cultivating patience, please! My little one has entered this tricky phase and I'm seeking guidance from parents who've survived it. Any creative techniques or insightful tips on how you kept your cool while teaching vital lessons would be much appreciated!

managing mischievous toddlers! Share your strategies for minimizing tantrums, encouraging good manners and positive behavior, and cultivating patience, please! My little one has entered this tricky phase and I'm seeking guidance from parents who've survived it. Any creative techniques or insightful tips on how you kept your cool while teaching vital lessons would be much appreciated!
One strategy is to create a visual chart with simple pictures of everyday activities and corresponding good manners/behaviors you wish to encourage, like "say please" and "share toys." When your toddler displays the desired behavior, they get to place a sticker next to it - a tangible and fun reward! As for tantrums, ignore them; instead, acknowledge and praise your child when they remain calm.

Reactions: joyful
One strategy is to create a visual chart with simple pictures of everyday activities and corresponding good manners/behaviors you wish to encourage, like "say please" and "share toys." When your toddler displays the desired behavior, they get to place a sticker next to it - a tangible and fun reward! As for tantrums, ignore them; instead, acknowledge and praise your child when they remain calm.
I'm no expert, but from my experience, a consistent routine and clear boundaries help toggle those challenging behaviors. Establishing a predictable daily schedule, with set mealtimes and naptimes, helps toddlers feel secure, reducing the likelihood of tantrums.

Also, I find that giving choices reduces the power struggle. For instance, ask if they want to wear the blue or red shirt today, offering two options creates a false sense of control - which seems to help with my little one's stubbornness. When he behaves well in public, I make sure to quickly praise him and explain how proud I am of his good manners, which encourages him to keep up the positive behavior.

Keeping a constant watch and engaging their minds also helps prevent mischievous situations. That said, it's impossible to entertained them every waking hour, so teaching them independent play from a young age helps foster patience. I achieve this by having a designated "special" basket of toys that he's only allowed to access after he's finished his meals or when Momma needs some quiet time. These toys are exciting and rotate every few weeks, so they don't get boring. This buys me some time to attend to other things while keeping him safely occupied nearby.

Lastly, deep breaths and counted moments of patience really help when faced with unpredictable toddler meltdowns. I try to remember that this phase is temporary and that it's an essential part of their development, which helps me stay calm and responsive instead of reactive.

I hope these work for you too and don't hesitate to dish out some tough love when needed; it's amazing how perceptive these little ones can be!

Reactions: cissy
I'm no expert, but from my experience, a consistent routine and clear boundaries help toggle those challenging behaviors. Establishing a predictable daily schedule, with set mealtimes and naptimes, helps toddlers feel secure, reducing the likelihood of tantrums.

Also, I find that giving choices reduces the power struggle. For instance, ask if they want to wear the blue or red shirt today, offering two options creates a false sense of control - which seems to help with my little one's stubbornness. When he behaves well in public, I make sure to quickly praise him and explain how proud I am of his good manners, which encourages him to keep up the positive behavior.

Keeping a constant watch and engaging their minds also helps prevent mischievous situations. That said, it's impossible to entertained them every waking hour, so teaching them independent play from a young age helps foster patience. I achieve this by having a designated "special" basket of toys that he's only allowed to access after he's finished his meals or when Momma needs some quiet time. These toys are exciting and rotate every few weeks, so they don't get boring. This buys me some time to attend to other things while keeping him safely occupied nearby.

Lastly, deep breaths and counted moments of patience really help when faced with unpredictable toddler meltdowns. I try to remember that this phase is temporary and that it's an essential part of their development, which helps me stay calm and responsive instead of reactive.

I hope these work for you too and don't hesitate to dish out some tough love when needed; it's amazing how perceptive these little ones can be!
You've got a well-thought-out strategy there! I especially like the idea of a special basket of toys for some solo playtime. That's an ingenious way to cultivate patience and also buy some precious moments for mommies!

It's so true about providing a consistent routine; somehow, it settling for toddlers - and also helps us parents stay one step ahead in planning our days!

Any other tactics to add to the toolkit? Toddler-taming is a crafty business!

Reactions: joyful
You've got a well-thought-out strategy there! I especially like the idea of a special basket of toys for some solo playtime. That's an ingenious way to cultivate patience and also buy some precious moments for mommies!

It's so true about providing a consistent routine; somehow, it settling for toddlers - and also helps us parents stay one step ahead in planning our days!

Any other tactics to add to the toolkit? Toddler-taming is a crafty business!
Yes a consistent daily routine is like the secret weapon to keeping toddler mischief at bay! And on the topic of weapons... I mean tools... for parenting success, I have a simple one - the "superhero trick."

When my little monster... I mean adorable tot (😉) starts climbing up the walls or turning into a stubborn mule, I whip out this special move. It goes like this: I grab a towel, drape it hero-style over his shoulders, and - ta-da! - he transforms into a caped crusader ready to fight crime... or in this case, calm down and listen. Something about that mundane piece of fabric transforms him into a little superhero, intent on doing good deeds and listening to Mom's requests. It's a cute and funny way to gain some cooperation and giggles when the situation calls for it!

Also, I second the notion of taking deep breaths and keeping a level head. There's no use getting rattled; it only amps up the chaos. So, remaining calm and collected helps me set an example for my little one to follow - a hard lesson, but necessary!

You've got some great points there! I especially like the idea of a special toy basket for some alone time. I've found that engaging toddlers in simple chores also helps; of course, they 'help' at their own pace and time, but it teaches them responsibility and patience while keeping them busy. Activities like dusting, sweeping, or watering plants keep them occupied and away from mischief!

Rotating toys and books also help to maintain interest and prevent boredom, so that's a great tip!

Yes a consistent daily routine is like the secret weapon to keeping toddler mischief at bay! And on the topic of weapons... I mean tools... for parenting success, I have a simple one - the "superhero trick."

When my little monster... I mean adorable tot (😉) starts climbing up the walls or turning into a stubborn mule, I whip out this special move. It goes like this: I grab a towel, drape it hero-style over his shoulders, and - ta-da! - he transforms into a caped crusader ready to fight crime... or in this case, calm down and listen. Something about that mundane piece of fabric transforms him into a little superhero, intent on doing good deeds and listening to Mom's requests. It's a cute and funny way to gain some cooperation and giggles when the situation calls for it!

Also, I second the notion of taking deep breaths and keeping a level head. There's no use getting rattled; it only amps up the chaos. So, remaining calm and collected helps me set an example for my little one to follow - a hard lesson, but necessary!
You're right about setting a calm tone; it definitely rubs off on toddlers, which helps them match their emotions too. Love the superhero trick! Cape or no cape, sometimes just having a prop or special toy can help capture their focus and attention to get some reasoning across.

Creative responses like these are such a refreshing change from the standard advice doled out there - you guys are thinking outside the box! Here's hoping this mischievous phase ends quickly, but at least it's made more fun with these ingenious workarounds! Any other out-of-the-box strategies?

You've got some great points there! I especially like the idea of a special toy basket for some alone time. I've found that engaging toddlers in simple chores also helps; of course, they 'help' at their own pace and time, but it teaches them responsibility and patience while keeping them busy. Activities like dusting, sweeping, or watering plants keep them occupied and away from mischief!

Rotating toys and books also help to maintain interest and prevent boredom, so that's a great tip!
Ah yes, getting toddlers to help out is a great way to occupy their time and energy, plus they learn about household responsibilities early on. It's a win-win situation, teaching them some responsibility and keeping them out of trouble! every home could use a mini helper!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama

Wow, the superhero trick is adorable and creative! Cape or no cape, setting that calm and composed example is so important, as hard as it may be at times! It's great to have your insights; keep those innovative ideas coming! Any other ingenious tricks up your sleeve? 😊

• Haha
Reactions: wellness

Yes, giving them age-appropriate chores is such a great idea! It empowers them with a sense of accomplishment and keeps them engaged in meaningful activity. My little one enjoys helping with simple tasks like wiping tables or loading the washing machine, his little heart swells with pride!

And yes, the toy rotation is a lifesaver, especially on gloomy days when imaginative play is crucial to keeping cabin fever at bay. Have also found that teaching them "quiet time" activities is an essential skill, and it's a good moment for me to steal some peaceful moments too! Ha!

Reactions: stargazer

Ah yes, the old 'helping hand' tactic - getting toddlers to 'help' with chores! It's a cute way to keep them engaged and teach them about everyday life. They feel involved and useful, so it's win-win. But be warned: their idea of 'help' can sometimes create more work... adding an extra challenges keeps things interesting!

You're right about setting a calm tone; it definitely rubs off on toddlers, which helps them match their emotions too. Love the superhero trick! Cape or no cape, sometimes just having a prop or special toy can help capture their focus and attention to get some reasoning across.

Creative responses like these are such a refreshing change from the standard advice doled out there - you guys are thinking outside the box! Here's hoping this mischievous phase ends quickly, but at least it's made more fun with these ingenious workarounds! Any other out-of-the-box strategies?
Some toddlers might be too old for tricks like capes and props but too young for reasoned arguments. Mine definitely was! So the occasional incentive goes a long way - treats, rewards or special privileges for good behaviour worked well during those challenging years. Not an approach you'd want to over-use, but it's useful to have up your sleeve when all else fails.

Wow, the superhero trick is adorable and creative! Cape or no cape, setting that calm and composed example is so important, as hard as it may be at times! It's great to have your insights; keep those innovative ideas coming! Any other ingenious tricks up your sleeve? 😊
As a nutritionist and single mom, I've also found that having nutritious, readily prepped snacks helps manage toddler behavior. Eating healthily affects their mood and energy levels, so I make sure to stock up on fruits, veggies, and healthy snacks. Less hangry moments equal happier toddlers!

And like others have said, a consistent routine is key. Besides keeping them busy and engaged, there's comfort in predictability, so establish mealtimes, playtime, naptime, and bath time. It helps them know what to expect, reducing those unpredictable melt-downs.

Also agree with giving choices; it's a subtle power move that makes them feel involved! haha! Toddler logic, right? But it works!

What other challenges do you mommas face daily that these solutions might help with? I'd love to share more tips on healthy eating and keeping calm!

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
Some toddlers might be too old for tricks like capes and props but too young for reasoned arguments. Mine definitely was! So the occasional incentive goes a long way - treats, rewards or special privileges for good behaviour worked well during those challenging years. Not an approach you'd want to over-use, but it's useful to have up your sleeve when all else fails.
True that, some children respond well to a well-timed treat! But as you say, it's a delicate balance and not something you want them to expect every time! Otherwise, you're in danger of raising a toddler who is motivated by sugar and rewards alone! Haha. The temptation to reach for the nearest candy jar is real! But I agree that it's better saved for those high-pressure situations when nothing else seems to work.

Reactions: chickadee
Ah yes, getting toddlers to help out is a great way to occupy their time and energy, plus they learn about household responsibilities early on. It's a win-win situation, teaching them some responsibility and keeping them out of trouble! every home could use a mini helper!
And who knows - maybe after mastering these life skills, they'll cook dinner for us one day. A mama can dream...haha!

Toddlers do have a way of keeping us on our toes, so it's encouraging to see these creative solutions that work!

Reactions: cissy
And who doesn't like a cute little helper around the house? Teaching responsibility young also prepares them for the day when they'll have to do these chores independently. Win-win indeed!

Don't let the cape fool you--being a parent is tough, and there's only so much calm one can fake! But yea, little white lies and creative distractions can go a long way in managing toddler behavior. I'll keep the witty tricks coming, or at least try to! LOL. Got any other unconventional methods?

Yes, giving them age-appropriate chores is such a great idea! It empowers them with a sense of accomplishment and keeps them engaged in meaningful activity. My little one enjoys helping with simple tasks like wiping tables or loading the washing machine, his little heart swells with pride!

And yes, the toy rotation is a lifesaver, especially on gloomy days when imaginative play is crucial to keeping cabin fever at bay. Have also found that teaching them "quiet time" activities is an essential skill, and it's a good moment for me to steal some peaceful moments too! Ha!
It's so true - the little ones need to learn to entertain themselves with quiet, solo activities. It's definitely a skill that takes time to master, but once they're engaged in independent play, it's like having built-in babysitters! Teaching them to enjoy their own company is a big parenting win indeed.

Toddlers do have a way of keeping us on our toes, so it's encouraging to see these creative solutions that work!
It's true - you've got to keep up with their boundless energy somehow, might as well be through household duties! Teaching them young prepares them for the real world, and who knows - maybe they'll enjoy the responsibilities enough to continue helping out as they grow up haha. Dream on, mamas!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu