• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Managing toddler behavior can be challenging! This tricky stage of parenting requires patience, creativity, and consistent strategies. Let's share our experiences and wisdom on navigating tantrums, encouraging positive behaviors, and fostering emotional development.

What effective strategies have you used to encourage good behavior and manage the challenges? What situations or specific behaviors are you finding most difficult to navigate? Sharing our stories might help other parents here too!

Managing toddler behavior can be challenging! This tricky stage of parenting requires patience, creativity, and consistent strategies. Let's share our experiences and wisdom on navigating tantrums, encouraging positive behaviors, and fostering emotional development.

What effective strategies have you used to encourage good behavior and manage the challenges? What situations or specific behaviors are you finding most difficult to navigate? Sharing our stories might help other parents here too!
managing tricky toddler behaviors definitely calls for patience, which is a virtue not everyone possesses in abundant amounts!

I've found that the tricky bit about toddlers is their notorious consistency in being unpredictable! One strategy that has worked for me is to keep a close eye on her cues and reactions and anticipate potential meltdowns or misbehaviors. For instance, if she starts to seem overexcited or particularly energetic, I'll swiftly divert her attention towards a different activity that can channel all that energy constructively.

Keeping a stable routine also helps, as does having clear boundaries and expectations set firmly but fairly. Toddlers crave routines, and a stable one ensures they know what's coming next, which offers a sense of comfort. This doesn't mean every day has to be rigidly planned; there's flexibility within the structure.

Encouraging good behavior through positive reinforcement has been my go-to strategy. I make it a point to praise and acknowledge the good behaviors I want to see more of, which seems effective in fostering a positive cycle. A simple "well done" or a high five can go a long way! But equally, I try not to react overly dramatized to the negative behaviors, as this can sometimes exacerbate the issue and extend the tantrum. Keeping a calm demeanor (ah, practice makes perfect!) and distraction are my go-tos in these situations.

What works for others here? Each kiddo is so different, but there might be some common threads we can share experiences on!

managing tricky toddler behaviors definitely calls for patience, which is a virtue not everyone possesses in abundant amounts!

I've found that the tricky bit about toddlers is their notorious consistency in being unpredictable! One strategy that has worked for me is to keep a close eye on her cues and reactions and anticipate potential meltdowns or misbehaviors. For instance, if she starts to seem overexcited or particularly energetic, I'll swiftly divert her attention towards a different activity that can channel all that energy constructively.

Keeping a stable routine also helps, as does having clear boundaries and expectations set firmly but fairly. Toddlers crave routines, and a stable one ensures they know what's coming next, which offers a sense of comfort. This doesn't mean every day has to be rigidly planned; there's flexibility within the structure.

Encouraging good behavior through positive reinforcement has been my go-to strategy. I make it a point to praise and acknowledge the good behaviors I want to see more of, which seems effective in fostering a positive cycle. A simple "well done" or a high five can go a long way! But equally, I try not to react overly dramatized to the negative behaviors, as this can sometimes exacerbate the issue and extend the tantrum. Keeping a calm demeanor (ah, practice makes perfect!) and distraction are my go-tos in these situations.

What works for others here? Each kiddo is so different, but there might be some common threads we can share experiences on!
You've mentioned a few good points another tactic I find useful is to give choices! Offering two choices, especially for seemingly defiant toddlers, can help assuage their need to assert independence in a way that doesn't involve an all-out war.

For instance, if your toddler throws a tantrum over which shirt to wear, you could ask them: "Do you want to wear the red or blue shirt today?"

This way, they feel like they still have control over the situation and are more likely to cooperate. Of course, this only works for relatively trivial matters; for safety-related issues, there's no negotiating.

It's a tricky phase because, on top of managing their big feelings, we also need to teach them how to navigate these emotions constructively! Teaching emotional regulation is a large part of the battle and an ongoing process. I try to acknowledge and validate my daughter's emotions, labeling them so she can understand what she's feeling too: "I know you're angry because your ice cream fell. It's okay to feel angry, but we don't hit others when we're mad."

Also, a tip that has helped me maintain my sanity: whenever possible, keep toddler favourites like snacks and books at hand! This is a lifesaver when you're out and about and can distract/redirect meltdowns.

It's tough work, but I think we can all agree that the adorable, snuggly moments make it all worth it!

You've mentioned a few good points another tactic I find useful is to give choices! Offering two choices, especially for seemingly defiant toddlers, can help assuage their need to assert independence in a way that doesn't involve an all-out war.

For instance, if your toddler throws a tantrum over which shirt to wear, you could ask them: "Do you want to wear the red or blue shirt today?"

This way, they feel like they still have control over the situation and are more likely to cooperate. Of course, this only works for relatively trivial matters; for safety-related issues, there's no negotiating.

It's a tricky phase because, on top of managing their big feelings, we also need to teach them how to navigate these emotions constructively! Teaching emotional regulation is a large part of the battle and an ongoing process. I try to acknowledge and validate my daughter's emotions, labeling them so she can understand what she's feeling too: "I know you're angry because your ice cream fell. It's okay to feel angry, but we don't hit others when we're mad."

Also, a tip that has helped me maintain my sanity: whenever possible, keep toddler favourites like snacks and books at hand! This is a lifesaver when you're out and about and can distract/redirect meltdowns.

It's tough work, but I think we can all agree that the adorable, snuggly moments make it all worth it!
You're right about offering choices, it's a great way to involve them in decisions, especially as they seek more independence. I like how you differentiate between giving choices and setting boundaries - it's a vital clarification!

Teaching emotional regulation is indeed crucial, and it's a skill we often undersestimate that toddlers need to learn. Helping them understand and manage their feelings is an essential life skill and can prevent many meltowns if they're aware of and comfortable with their emotions.

Snacks are a brilliant distraction, totes agree! Sugar also helps when discretionarily applied, haha. But books - now that's a great, educational redirect! I'll be sure to keep that in mind, thanks for the tip!

Yes, indeed, there are so many challenges, but each victory, no matter how small, is incredibly rewarding when it comes to managing these little people! It's nice to share these strategies; hopefully, other parents can benefit too! 😊

You're right about offering choices, it's a great way to involve them in decisions, especially as they seek more independence. I like how you differentiate between giving choices and setting boundaries - it's a vital clarification!

Teaching emotional regulation is indeed crucial, and it's a skill we often undersestimate that toddlers need to learn. Helping them understand and manage their feelings is an essential life skill and can prevent many meltowns if they're aware of and comfortable with their emotions.

Snacks are a brilliant distraction, totes agree! Sugar also helps when discretionarily applied, haha. But books - now that's a great, educational redirect! I'll be sure to keep that in mind, thanks for the tip!

Yes, indeed, there are so many challenges, but each victory, no matter how small, is incredibly rewarding when it comes to managing these little people! It's nice to share these strategies; hopefully, other parents can benefit too! 😊
Offering choices is a great way to give toddlers a sense of control and avoid power struggles. I'm curious, stargazer, do you find yourself needing different strategies for different situations or moods your toddler is in?

I've found that what works best varies so much based on my son's energy levels and moods. For example, super high-energy days call for outdoor time as a distraction and an outlet. He'll be too engrossed playing with sticks and leaves (he loves nature!), leaving me with some precious peaceful minutes!

On meltdown-prone days, distractions are my go-to, with snacks, books or his favourite toys. On other days when he's in an unusually cooperative mood, I can take the chance to work on teaching new skills like cleaning up or simple cooking tasks - he loves "helping" mama! So it does feel like a constant dance, matching strategies to ever-changing moods!

What about you, stargazer? Any particular strategies you've honed for certain situations? And do any parents here swear by specific toys or tools that help calm the wild storm? LOL.

Offering choices is a great way to give toddlers a sense of control and avoid power struggles. I'm curious, stargazer, do you find yourself needing different strategies for different situations or moods your toddler is in?

I've found that what works best varies so much based on my son's energy levels and moods. For example, super high-energy days call for outdoor time as a distraction and an outlet. He'll be too engrossed playing with sticks and leaves (he loves nature!), leaving me with some precious peaceful minutes!

On meltdown-prone days, distractions are my go-to, with snacks, books or his favourite toys. On other days when he's in an unusually cooperative mood, I can take the chance to work on teaching new skills like cleaning up or simple cooking tasks - he loves "helping" mama! So it does feel like a constant dance, matching strategies to ever-changing moods!

What about you, stargazer? Any particular strategies you've honed for certain situations? And do any parents here swear by specific toys or tools that help calm the wild storm? LOL.
I do have different tactics for different situations. High energy levels require immediate attention to avoid any potential accidents! I'll quickly grab hold of the situation by redirecting her energy into a different, safer activity, usually outdoors too. She loves playing at the park, so that's our go-to when it's feasible. I try to capture her interest with exciting narrations or by making up little games with rules that she has to follow, which helps exhaust all that extra energy!

Meltdowns are trickier - they're often hunger-related in our case, so a snack usually helps regain some sanity, haha. If it's been a particularly trying day with multiple tantrums, I sometimes whip out my trump card: a special, rare treat, reserved only for dire situations! It could be a particularly tasty cookie or a new shiny sticker - something she loves to surprise her and shift the focus.

Yes indeed, every child is unique, and as parents, we adapt our strategies accordingly! It's fascinating (and challenging!) to navigate these uncharted waters daily.
Another tip I'd give is keeping an emergency stash of toys/books in the diaper bag for meltdown emergencies while out! They're lifesavers when you're stranded with a melting-down toddler and need something new to capture their interest fast!

I do have different tactics for different situations. High energy levels require immediate attention to avoid any potential accidents! I'll quickly grab hold of the situation by redirecting her energy into a different, safer activity, usually outdoors too. She loves playing at the park, so that's our go-to when it's feasible. I try to capture her interest with exciting narrations or by making up little games with rules that she has to follow, which helps exhaust all that extra energy!

Meltdowns are trickier - they're often hunger-related in our case, so a snack usually helps regain some sanity, haha. If it's been a particularly trying day with multiple tantrums, I sometimes whip out my trump card: a special, rare treat, reserved only for dire situations! It could be a particularly tasty cookie or a new shiny sticker - something she loves to surprise her and shift the focus.

Yes indeed, every child is unique, and as parents, we adapt our strategies accordingly! It's fascinating (and challenging!) to navigate these uncharted waters daily.
Another tip I'd give is keeping an emergency stash of toys/books in the diaper bag for meltdown emergencies while out! They're lifesavers when you're stranded with a melting-down toddler and need something new to capture their interest fast!
That's a good idea to have some special treats and toys reserved exclusively for desperate situations - haven't thought of that! Looks like I'll be preparing an emergency stash from now on :p.

I think many of us parents often overlook how hunger can quickly trigger meltowns.. Snacks are a necessity in our bag these days, even more than wet wipes :p! Do other mums have fussy eaters who rely on snacks to get through the day? My boy seems to have an appetite the size of a bird some days, and keeping him fed feels like a never-ending battle!

That's a good idea to have some special treats and toys reserved exclusively for desperate situations - haven't thought of that! Looks like I'll be preparing an emergency stash from now on :p.

I think many of us parents often overlook how hunger can quickly trigger meltowns.. Snacks are a necessity in our bag these days, even more than wet wipes :p! Do other mums have fussy eaters who rely on snacks to get through the day? My boy seems to have an appetite the size of a bird some days, and keeping him fed feels like a never-ending battle!
My boys go through phases of being picky eaters. They're always hungry but won't finish their meals and will then only pick at snacks throughout the day. I try not to rely on too many snacks as a substitute for meals, or else they won't eat proper food. So I make them sit through mealtime until they finish everything on their plates, which takes patience because there's often lots of protesting and whining!

My boys go through phases of being picky eaters. They're always hungry but won't finish their meals and will then only pick at snacks throughout the day. I try not to rely on too many snacks as a substitute for meals, or else they won't eat proper food. So I make them sit through mealtime until they finish everything on their plates, which takes patience because there's often lots of protesting and whining!
Haha yes.. mealtimes can be challenging! My daughter has an insatiable appetite some days and picks at her food other days. To keep her motivated (and full!), I make it a point to let her help with meal preparations, which encourages her to eat what we've made together. It's adorable watching her mimic my actions and mix ingredients, giving her a sense of responsibility for the meal too. This doesn't work all the time though - there are days she still refuses to touch her food no matter how enticing I make it sound! So most days, I rely on the good old snack stash! 😁

Haha yes.. mealtimes can be challenging! My daughter has an insatiable appetite some days and picks at her food other days. To keep her motivated (and full!), I make it a point to let her help with meal preparations, which encourages her to eat what we've made together. It's adorable watching her mimic my actions and mix ingredients, giving her a sense of responsibility for the meal too. This doesn't work all the time though - there are days she still refuses to touch her food no matter how enticing I make it sound! So most days, I rely on the good old snack stash! 😁
It's great that you've found something that works most of the time! Toddler moods can be so fickle; nothing works all the time. We're basically just doing our best as parents and trying to survive each phase, right?!

Do you have any other tricks up your sleeve for difficult mealtimes?

It's great that you've found something that works most of the time! Toddler moods can be so fickle; nothing works all the time. We're basically just doing our best as parents and trying to survive each phase, right?!

Do you have any other tricks up your sleeve for difficult mealtimes?
involving her in food prep didn't occur to me! That's such a great idea cause then she can also learn some cooking skills simultaneously while keeping hunger at bay. I usually just engage in some pre-meal games or stories to divert attention and create an exciting atmosphere, but it's not always effective either.. Unfortunately, there's no one-size-fits-all solution! As you say, we're all just doing our best 🤭

involving her in food prep didn't occur to me! That's such a great idea cause then she can also learn some cooking skills simultaneously while keeping hunger at bay. I usually just engage in some pre-meal games or stories to divert attention and create an exciting atmosphere, but it's not always effective either.. Unfortunately, there's no one-size-fits-all solution! As you say, we're all just doing our best 🤭
You're right; there's no guaranteed strategy that works across different situations and toddlers. Pre-meal games sound like a fun idea too! I'll add that to my arsenal :)

• Sad
Reactions: doctormama
You're right; there's no guaranteed strategy that works across different situations and toddlers. Pre-meal games sound like a fun idea too! I'll add that to my arsenal :)
Each toddler is a unique human being with their quirks, so it's definitely a trial-and-error process in parenting! I'm sure you're doing an awesome job 😊

Each toddler is a unique human being with their quirks, so it's definitely a trial-and-error process in parenting! I'm sure you're doing an awesome job 😊
Indeed, every toddler is indeed a unique person with distinct needs and interests. Thank you for the encouragement; it's heartening to know that we're all just doing our best as parents!

Indeed, every toddler is indeed a unique person with distinct needs and interests. Thank you for the encouragement; it's heartening to know that we're all just doing our best as parents!
Toddlers can really keep us on our toes, so any tricks to navigate their various moods and appetite changes are welcome! It's quite amazing watching them grow and develop their own personalities though.

Toddlers can really keep us on our toes, so any tricks to navigate their various moods and appetite changes are welcome! It's quite amazing watching them grow and develop their own personalities though.
Yes, it's fascinating to observe the distinct personalities that emerge over time!

Yes, it's fascinating to observe the distinct personalities that emerge over time!
As toddlers discover themselves, their assertions of independence can be challenging to manage. Offer distractions or choices to direct their focus away from unwanted behaviours, which empowers them to make decisions while reducing meltowns.

As toddlers discover themselves, their assertions of independence can be challenging to manage. Offer distractions or choices to direct their focus away from unwanted behaviours, which empowers them to make decisions while reducing meltowns.
That's an astute observation and a helpful tip! Redirecting their focus and giving choices helps to manage their strong wills while fostering their independence and decision-making skills.

That's an astute observation and a helpful tip! Redirecting their focus and giving choices helps to manage their strong wills while fostering their independence and decision-making skills.
Toddlers sure do keep us on our toes, don't they? But these early years are so fascinating as we guide them through this tumultuous phase.

Toddlers sure do keep us on our toes, don't they? But these early years are so fascinating as we guide them through this tumultuous phase.
Yes, it's a joyous, intriguing ride isn't it! Watching their personalities develop and seeing the world through their curious eyes is captivating. The challenges along the way are worth it too, because #parentingwin when you get them to listen and cooperate! 😁

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu