• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

It's definitely a challenge to manage these little toddlers and their ever-changing emotions! Redirecting their focus is a super skill we parents have to master to keep our sanity.
Toddlers and their tiny tempers can sure keep us on our toes! Keeping them engaged and distracted is a clever way to navigate those tricky emotional moments.

Toddlers are like tiny dictators with mood swings - one has to be adept at diverting their attention or else!
That's so true! Distraction is definitely an art when it comes to dealing with toddlers and their ever-changing moods. It's like walking on eggshells sometimes! But keeping them engaged and entertained is a challenge many parents embrace, often with plenty of humor and patience.

Distraction requires tons of creativity and quick thinking, especially when the tantrum has already started! You've got to be one step ahead at all times - it is an art form!

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
Distraction requires tons of creativity and quick thinking, especially when the tantrum has already started! You've got to be one step ahead at all times - it is an art form!
I don't have time for elaborate antics. I simply keep snacks in my purse for emergencies. Food always distracts hungry toddlers.

That's a smart tactic! Keeping snacks on hand is definitely a life-saver sometimes. Does anyone else have quick, easy solutions for managing tricky toddler behaviour?

Keeping busy bags filled with simple toys/activities also helps! I keep one in my purse and break it out when we are out to dinner or at an appointment. It’s a mix of things like sticker books, tiny dolls/action figures, pipe cleaners etc - things that are compact and easy to use in tight spaces. I also make little busy bags for the plane or long car rides - they’re a life saver when you need to keep them entertained without making a sound! I find having different little tricks up my sleeve helps me stay sane and keeps the melt downs at bay!

Reactions: joyful and queenie
Great idea! I love the notion of keeping different activities for different scenarios - busy bags for out-and-about, car rides, plane trips etc.

The independence and occupation these foster are such a help in keeping little ones entertained without constant parental input too, especially when you need some sanity time! And it's an added bonus that they keep the tantrums at bay :). I'm going to start preparing some for my little one - thanks for the inspiration!

Keeping busy bags filled with simple toys/activities also helps! I keep one in my purse and break it out when we are out to dinner or at an appointment. It’s a mix of things like sticker books, tiny dolls/action figures, pipe cleaners etc - things that are compact and easy to use in tight spaces. I also make little busy bags for the plane or long car rides - they’re a life saver when you need to keep them entertained without making a sound! I find having different little tricks up my sleeve helps me stay sane and keeps the melt downs at bay!
Having a variety of toddler entertainment options can really help in those moments where you need to keep your child occupied, especially when space is limited. It's a great idea to have a go-to bag of quiet activities for restaurants and appointments.

For young kids, the novelty of having toys out of context is also exciting. Simple sticker books, figures, and crafty items like pipe cleaners can offer plenty of entertainment value without taking up much space in your bag.

Do you have any specific go-to tricks that work well for keeping toddlers engaged during flights or long car rides? These scenarios can be challenging, so any additional tips for our readers would be great!

I like how you think ahead and stay prepared with these busy bags - it definitely helps to stay one step ahead of potential meltdowns.

Some additional tips for keeping toddlers entertained during travel include having a few surprise toys tucked away specifically for these occasions. Dollar stores often have small, inexpensive toys that can become a special treat and provide some variety. I also stock up on cheap sticker packs and small coloring books, which don't take up much space in my bag and provide some quiet time entertainment.

For car rides, I keep a handful of snacks in the glove compartment - this seems to capture their attention because it's such an unusual spot to reach into and is a nice change from the usual snack routine. I also play the classic "I spy" game, which can pass some time and doesn't require any materials.

For flights, I make sure to bring a tablet loaded with kid-friendly movies or shows - this is definitely a special treat and provides a good distraction during long periods cooped up. Keeping a few of their favorite snacks tucked away in your purse can help buy you some extra peaceful moments too!

Some additional tips for keeping toddlers entertained during travel include having a few surprise toys tucked away specifically for these occasions. Dollar stores often have small, inexpensive toys that can become a special treat and provide some variety. I also stock up on cheap sticker packs and small coloring books, which don't take up much space in my bag and provide some quiet time entertainment.

For car rides, I keep a handful of snacks in the glove compartment - this seems to capture their attention because it's such an unusual spot to reach into and is a nice change from the usual snack routine. I also play the classic "I spy" game, which can pass some time and doesn't require any materials.

For flights, I make sure to bring a tablet loaded with kid-friendly movies or shows - this is definitely a special treat and provides a good distraction during long periods cooped up. Keeping a few of their favorite snacks tucked away in your purse can help buy you some extra peaceful moments too!
Having some snacks hidden for emergencies is a good idea! Sticker books are also great as they're compact and easy to pack, yet provide hours of fun for toddlers.

For flights especially, having a tablet handy with kid-friendly content is a lifesaver for long travel times. The excitement of having a special movie snack and a different mode of entertainment makes the tablet an enjoyable change. These days, many toddlers are also familiar and comfortable with navigating tablets, which makes it an independent activity for them.

Do you have other strategies for keeping your little ones entertained while travelling?

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
Having some snacks hidden for emergencies is a good idea! Sticker books are also great as they're compact and easy to pack, yet provide hours of fun for toddlers.

For flights especially, having a tablet handy with kid-friendly content is a lifesaver for long travel times. The excitement of having a special movie snack and a different mode of entertainment makes the tablet an enjoyable change. These days, many toddlers are also familiar and comfortable with navigating tablets, which makes it an independent activity for them.

Do you have other strategies for keeping your little ones entertained while travelling?
Books, coloring, and reusable sticker sets kept in a special travel backpack keep my toddler entertained and engaged. I also let her bring her favorite stuffed toy, which she uses as a comfort object during flights.

• Love
Reactions: lioness
Books, coloring, and reusable sticker sets kept in a special travel backpack keep my toddler entertained and engaged. I also let her bring her favorite stuffed toy, which she uses as a comfort object during flights.
That's a great idea to have a dedicated travel bag for toddlers! Reusable sticker sets are a fun, mess-free activity, perfect for keeping little hands busy. I find that having a few new, inexpensive toys or books also help to hold my kiddo's attention. It's also a good distraction to bring out treats or snacks reserved only for special occasions, like flights, to make the experience extra exciting.

Do you have any other mess-free activities that work well for your little ones while traveling?

That's a smart way to keep a young kid occupied with a variety of activities and have them occupied for a longer period!

That's a smart way to keep your kid occupied, especially with the stickers and coloring books. Having familiar comfort toys is a great idea for long flights too, good thinking!

That's a great idea to have a dedicated travel bag for toddlers! Reusable sticker sets are a fun, mess-free activity, perfect for keeping little hands busy. I find that having a few new, inexpensive toys or books also help to hold my kiddo's attention. It's also a good distraction to bring out treats or snacks reserved only for special occasions, like flights, to make the experience extra exciting.

Do you have any other mess-free activities that work well for your little ones while traveling?
Stickers and sticker books are a hit with my kids too! I also keep a travel notebook - it has different crafty things like colored papers, pencils, stickers, and stamps to keep them occupied.

That's a smart way to keep a young kid occupied with a variety of activities and have them occupied for a longer period!
Yeah, keeping toddlers busy can be tricky, so it's helpful to have a bunch of different activities up our sleeves!

• Haha
Reactions: luciana
Stickers and sticker books are a hit with my kids too! I also keep a travel notebook - it has different crafty things like colored papers, pencils, stickers, and stamps to keep them occupied.
That's a nifty idea to have a travel notebook! A little portable arts and crafts kit!

That's a nifty idea to have a travel notebook! A little portable arts and crafts kit!
Yeah, it is quite an enjoyable, engaging way to while away time during travel. Not to mention, it helps totes occupy fidgety toddlers on long journeys without screen time! What other creative ways do you employ to keep your little ones amused? I'm always hunting for new, exciting ideas!

My go-to travel trick is turning everyday items into games - like an improvised scavenger hunt using things from the surroundings, or naming everything they see that's a certain colour. You can also make a little kit of reusable stickers and place them on windows or mirrors. For longer trips, I bring some pipe cleaners and small beads; my kid makes bracelets and necklaces, and when it gets too dark or gloomy outside, I pull out the flashlight and let her play with the beam.

That's some great advice! Making travel fun rather than a chore is such an awesome way to keep toddlers entertained without resorting to screen time. Love the scavenger hunt idea, and making use of everyday surroundings - so budget-friendly too! And keeping things reusable is an excellent way to be environmentally conscious while keeping the little ones occupied with 'new' things on the go.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu