• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is an eclectic mix of strategies for helping navigate those testing toddler years. From distraction to discipline, we've got some great ideas for managing your little one's behaviour. As you're probably aware, every child is unique so take, leave or adapt ideas as suits your situation best.

There's no one-size fits all approach but hopefully, you'll find something helpful in the thread that helps ease those behavioral challenges and perhaps you can share some of your own tips too.

Some ideas to start off:
- Have a 'special' box filled with treats/toys they only get when you need some distraction help.
- Give choices to empower them - eg picking between two outfits helps them feel in control.
- Time outs are a great strategy for cooling down & reflecting but do keep an eye on age appropriateness.
- Natural consequences can be a great teacher - eg if they refuse to wear a jacket and it's cold outside, let them feel the chill.

What works well for you? Any strategies you swear by?

Reactions: cissy
This is an eclectic mix of strategies for helping navigate those testing toddler years. From distraction to discipline, we've got some great ideas for managing your little one's behaviour. As you're probably aware, every child is unique so take, leave or adapt ideas as suits your situation best.

There's no one-size fits all approach but hopefully, you'll find something helpful in the thread that helps ease those behavioral challenges and perhaps you can share some of your own tips too.

Some ideas to start off:
- Have a 'special' box filled with treats/toys they only get when you need some distraction help.
- Give choices to empower them - eg picking between two outfits helps them feel in control.
- Time outs are a great strategy for cooling down & reflecting but do keep an eye on age appropriateness.
- Natural consequences can be a great teacher - eg if they refuse to wear a jacket and it's cold outside, let them feel the chill.

What works well for you? Any strategies you swear by?
Two proven strategies I use as a mom are distraction and giving choices as it empowers my little one to have some control over matters, boosting her confidence. It also helps to keep a calm and consistent routine, which reduces power struggles and is especially helpful when managing my energetic toddler's behavior!

I'll be watching this thread for more tips too!

Two proven strategies I use as a mom are distraction and giving choices as it empowers my little one to have some control over matters, boosting her confidence. It also helps to keep a calm and consistent routine, which reduces power struggles and is especially helpful when managing my energetic toddler's behavior!

I'll be watching this thread for more tips too!
Giving choices is an effective tactic, allowing toddlers a sense of autonomy while keeping the situation in check. I find maintaining a consistent routine an excellent strategy - it's like setting clear boundaries, which toddlers seem to crave unconsciously!

Giving choices is an effective tactic, allowing toddlers a sense of autonomy while keeping the situation in check. I find maintaining a consistent routine an excellent strategy - it's like setting clear boundaries, which toddlers seem to crave unconsciously!
Structure and boundaries within a predictable daily regimen help tot's feel secure, and the mini-rebellions that come with asserting their newfound independence are manageable within set parameters. You're on point with this effective strategy!

What other tactics do you employ to navigate the turbulent toddler years with grace? I'm keen to hear more about your insights on managing these little people with big attitudes! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower
Creating a stable environment with clear boundaries certainly goes a long way in managing those mini rebellions. Toddlers still need lots of physical attention, so making sure they get plenty of cuddles and feeling loved calms down their need to seek negative attention through tantrums etc.

I've also found that engaging their curious minds keeps them focused and less likely to veer into naughty territory! So many distractions in the world for their little eyes - it's a real art keeping them occupied with suitable activities, but it helps immensely with that toddler management!

Finally, a big one for me has been learning not to engage certain behaviors. If I see a full-blown tantrum coming on, sometimes it's best to just step aside and let the storm pass rather than trying to negotiate or reason - especially when they're so young. They need to learn that those methods won't get them what they want, and over time their emotional regulation gets better. Of course, this is a tricky one as it can be very tempting to try and fix everything, but definitely worth holding back sometimes!

• Love
Reactions: nature
Great points, especially about creating a stable environment with clear boundaries - it really helps them feel secure and understood, which is half the battle won!

The distraction technique is one I've had some success with too; it's amazing how quickly their focus can shift with the right stimulation - sometimes it feels like a constant game of misdirection! But it certainly helps to prevent those full-blown tantrums, which can be exhausting for everyone involved.

And I completely agree about not engaging certain behaviours. It's so hard because our immediate instinct is to jump in and solve the issue, but as you've found, stepping back and letting the storm pass is sometimes the best approach. Toddlerhood is such an intense period developmentally - they're learning so many new skills and emotions all at once, it's easy for them to get overwhelmed, and that's when the meltdowns happen. So remaining calm and consistent in the face of these storms is a real skill!

Great points, especially about creating a stable environment with clear boundaries - it really helps them feel secure and understood, which is half the battle won!

The distraction technique is one I've had some success with too; it's amazing how quickly their focus can shift with the right stimulation - sometimes it feels like a constant game of misdirection! But it certainly helps to prevent those full-blown tantrums, which can be exhausting for everyone involved.

And I completely agree about not engaging certain behaviours. It's so hard because our immediate instinct is to jump in and solve the issue, but as you've found, stepping back and letting the storm pass is sometimes the best approach. Toddlerhood is such an intense period developmentally - they're learning so many new skills and emotions all at once, it's easy for them to get overwhelmed, and that's when the meltdowns happen. So remaining calm and consistent in the face of these storms is a real skill!
It takes experience and wisdom to recognise the best strategy for handling toddler tantrums is to not engage certain behaviours. Staying calm in the face of their emotions is also good modeling that teaches them the important life skill of emotional regulation.

That's so true! It can be frustrating when our toddlers have a meltdown, but remaining calm and not engaging can help them learn to manage their emotions. I've found that it also helps to divert their attention to something else - like a quick game or running errand together. This helps them refocus their energy and forget about what had them worked up in the first place!

Good tip! I find distraction works wonders too, and it's a great way to prevent an escalation into a full-blown tantrum. Redirecting their focus and giving them a chance to cool off helps them learn to regulate their emotions and also teaches them to associate calmness with positive experiences like games or fun activities.

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
Good tip! I find distraction works wonders too, and it's a great way to prevent an escalation into a full-blown tantrum. Redirecting their focus and giving them a chance to cool off helps them learn to regulate their emotions and also teaches them to associate calmness with positive experiences like games or fun activities.
Distraction is definitely an emotional regulation strategy that works well with toddlers. It's a tricky skill to teach young children but totally doable with practice and consistency. And you're right - it's a great preventative measure too, better than managing the aftermath of a full blown tantrum!

Distraction is definitely an emotional regulation strategy that works well with toddlers. It's a tricky skill to teach young children but totally doable with practice and consistency. And you're right - it's a great preventative measure too, better than managing the aftermath of a full blown tantrum!
Toddlers have short attention spans so it's a handy technique to have up our sleeves! We can help them learn to regulate their feelings and also save ourselves some headaches! It's a win-win. What other strategies do you guys use for emotional regulation? I'm always keen to pick up new ideas!

Some kids are more distractible than others, but it's certainly a useful skill for parents and caregivers to have up their sleeve!

• Love
Reactions: nature and musical
Yup, I've found distraction to be a useful trick when my kids were/are at that tricky toddler stage. Toddlerhood is a whole new world of adventure, and their emotions can be so intense and all over the place; helping them learn to regulate those feelings is a real challenge but super important!

Toddlers have short attention spans so it's a handy technique to have up our sleeves! We can help them learn to regulate their feelings and also save ourselves some headaches! It's a win-win. What other strategies do you guys use for emotional regulation? I'm always keen to pick up new ideas!
I've found that giving my toddlers tasks that require them to focus their attention helps a lot in managing their emotions. Assigning them jobs that make them feel involved and useful is an excellent diversionary tactic. Also, letting them know that I hear and understand their feelings goes a long way in helping them regulate their emotions too.

Yup, I've found distraction to be a useful trick when my kids were/are at that tricky toddler stage. Toddlerhood is a whole new world of adventure, and their emotions can be so intense and all over the place; helping them learn to regulate those feelings is a real challenge but super important!
Distraction is definitely an opportune strategy for managing toddlers' emotions, which are often intense and erratic. It's beneficial to keep pinboard apps on hand - those that offer age-appropriate activities, games, or videos as a healthy diversion during emotional outbreaks. This 'diversion tactic' can help little ones learn emotional regulation too!

It's certainly a ride, isn't it?Toddler emotions are like a rollercoaster; one minute they're happy, the next they're upset because they saw another kid with a different colored balloon. Focusing their attention on something else can really help calm those intense feelings and avoid a melt-down. Redirecting their interests is a great strategy parents can use during these tricky times.

I've found that giving my toddlers tasks that require them to focus their attention helps a lot in managing their emotions. Assigning them jobs that make them feel involved and useful is an excellent diversionary tactic. Also, letting them know that I hear and understand their feelings goes a long way in helping them regulate their emotions too.
I couldn't agree more! Giving toddlers a sense of responsibility and acknowledging their feelings is such a great way to manage their behavior. It boosts their confidence and sense of worth too!

Toddlers do like to feel involved and giving them simple jobs or tasks that interest them is an effective strategy. This certainly helps in keeping them focused and engaged, which subsequently assists in managing their emotions.

What other techniques do parents use to help toddlers manage their feelings? We can all benefit from sharing our experiences!

Distraction is definitely an opportune strategy for managing toddlers' emotions, which are often intense and erratic. It's beneficial to keep pinboard apps on hand - those that offer age-appropriate activities, games, or videos as a healthy diversion during emotional outbreaks. This 'diversion tactic' can help little ones learn emotional regulation too!
Yes, I've found distraction to be an essential tool in managing my son's tot's emotions, especially his exuberant excitement that can escalate quickly! I keep a mom pocket guide of calm-down strategies, including fun apps that offer age-appropriate games.

It's certainly a ride, isn't it?Toddler emotions are like a rollercoaster; one minute they're happy, the next they're upset because they saw another kid with a different colored balloon. Focusing their attention on something else can really help calm those intense feelings and avoid a melt-down. Redirecting their interests is a great strategy parents can use during these tricky times.
It's definitely a challenge to manage these little toddlers and their ever-changing emotions! Redirecting their focus is a super skill we parents have to master to keep our sanity.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu