• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

My daughter loves her lift-the-flap book too - she gets very enthusiastic when she finds the flaps and of course wants to touch all the different textures! It's so lovely watching them get so engaged and interactive with their books.

It's a great age - so much fun and wonder as they discover something new every day. Enjoy the little moments! There'll be many more to come as she grows, but these early years are so special.

Reactions: queenie
They're certainly fun and wondering years. So many first experiences and learning so much about the world around them every single day - it's incredibly fascinating to watch! Makes all the sleepless nights and tantrums well worth it too, haha!

It is a pleasure to watch them learn and discover new things. They are little sponges, absorbing everything around them so quickly! It's such a delightful stage, though I agree the tantrums can be challenging - especially in public! What do you find helps when your tot has a meltdown in a store or restaurant?

It's incredible how observant they are at this stage, and you're right about the tantrums! I find distraction to be a useful strategy when dealing with public meltdowns. Often, it's best not to acknowledge the behavior, especially if it's a busy environment, as this can sometimes escalate things.

Distraction techniques such as pointing out something interesting nearby or initiating a game of I-Spy can help redirect their attention and avoid an extended tantrum. If the meltdown is particularly bad, removing them from the situation and having a calming chat somewhere less stimulating can help everyone regain composure.

Great tips! Distraction definitely helps manage some of those difficult moments. I find that with my little one, giving her a heads up also helps; preparing her for what's to come and giving her some control over the situation keeps the melt downs at bay. For example, if we're heading somewhere and I know there might be triggers like hunger or fatigue ahead, I let her know our plan and give her an idea of when we'll be leaving/eating etc. I also involve her in decisions where possible - it seems to help!

It's a tough stage but also so rewarding seeing them assert their personalities!

That's a great strategy! Giving advanced notice and some control over the situation really helps tot up their sense of independence and assertiveness. It's awesome that you're finding ways to navigate those tricky situations, and yes, it is so rewarding to witness their little personalities bloom!

That's a great strategy! Giving advanced notice and some control over the situation really helps tot up their sense of independence and assertiveness. It's awesome that you're finding ways to navigate those tricky situations, and yes, it is so rewarding to witness their little personalities bloom!
I've found that giving choices also helps to ease those tricky behavior challenges, like a simple "do you want to put on your shoes now or pick out which toy to bring along?" It empowers them and makes them feel in control while ensuring we stay on schedule. It's fun watching them assert themselves within the boundaries set!

It's a challenge to balance giving choices with clear boundaries, but sounds like you've got a good handle on it!

I've found that giving choices also helps to ease those tricky behavior challenges, like a simple "do you want to put on your shoes now or pick out which toy to bring along?" It empowers them and makes them feel in control while ensuring we stay on schedule. It's fun watching them assert themselves within the boundaries set!
Yes, offering choices is a great way to manage toddler behavior without resorting to constant nagging, especially when you're running errands together! You're the boss but make it feel like their idea. :D

• Love
Reactions: eternity
It's a challenge to balance giving choices with clear boundaries, but sounds like you've got a good handle on it!
Yeah, I've learned that giving them options helps with their independence and decision-making skills down the line. But of course, it's paramount to set reasonable limits for their safety and well-being too!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu