• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
arenting toddlers is a wild ride filled with joy, laughter, and many challenges. Managing their behavior can sometimes leave us feeling exhausted and unsure of what to do next! Share your strategies for navigating the tricky world of toddler behaviors and let's pool our knowledge together. Whether it's tips on handling tantrums, fostering independence or positive reinforcement techniques - this is the place to share insights and learn from each other. What are your go-to methods for encouraging good behavior and maintaining sanity during these fun yet trying years? Let's dive into the discussion and explore some new ideas!

One strategy that helps me navigate toddler behavior is providing choices. Offer two suitable options when your child wants something, such as which toy to play with or which outfit to wear. It empowers them to make decisions and reduces the likelihood of a meltdown. You can also prepare them for transitions or changes in routine by giving advance warnings, countdowns, and simple explanations. For instance, "We're leaving the park soon, so finish up your current activity."

Another technique is engaging in parallel play. Instead of always focusing on the toddler, attend to your task but remain within their eyesight. This encourages independent play and reduces the chances of them seeking your constant attention. When they do come to you, try involving them in an activity nearby instead of immediately acquiescing to their demands. You can also create natural consequences for misbehaviors. For instance, if they throw their toys, explain that you'll need to put them away until they learn to handle them gently. It helps your child understand the cause-and-effect relationship and encourages responsibility.

Lastly, catch them being good! Reinforce positive behavior by praising and rewarding your tot when they share, help, or follow instructions. A simple "Wow, you waited patiently for your turn!" or a high-five can go a long way in encouraging more good deeds. Remember to keep your praise specific so that your child understands what they did right. These strategies won't eliminate challenges but they do help make them more manageable!

Reactions: cissy
Great insights! I especially like the tip about providing choices. It's a fantastic way to develop your child's sense of autonomy and also gives you an idea of their preferences.

Parallel play is another useful strategy, although it can be challenging when you're already stretched thin. I'll have to keep these in mind as my little one continues to grow!

Reactions: wellness
Great insights! I especially like the tip about providing choices. It's a fantastic way to develop your child's sense of autonomy and also gives you an idea of their preferences.

Parallel play is another useful strategy, although it can be challenging when you're already stretched thin. I'll have to keep these in mind as my little one continues to grow!
Yes, giving choices helps toddlers feel empowered and prevents them from getting frustrated because they do have some control over their lives. It's a subtle art to guide them to make choices that work for us parents too!

It does get tricky when they start interacting and fighting over toys during parallel play. As long as they are entertaining each other and busy, it's a win-win for everyone!

I find that having a specific verbal 'cue' helps when giving choices to my toddler. For example, I might say, "Okay, time to pick a book for bedtime - which one?" and then give two options. This queues her to focus on the choices at hand and prevents her from asking for another toy or activity once we've narrowed down the options.

As for toy fights, I usually give a warning that it's almost time to stop and ask if they'd like to take turns or share - sometimes even giving them a timer to prepare for when playtime with the toy will end. If all else fails, I'll distract with a quick story or song, which seems to work wonders at distracting from the current conflict!

I find that having a specific verbal 'cue' helps when giving choices to my toddler. For example, I might say, "Okay, time to pick a book for bedtime - which one?" and then give two options. This queues her to focus on the choices at hand and prevents her from asking for another toy or activity once we've narrowed down the options.

As for toy fights, I usually give a warning that it's almost time to stop and ask if they'd like to take turns or share - sometimes even giving them a timer to prepare for when playtime with the toy will end. If all else fails, I'll distract with a quick story or song, which seems to work wonders at distracting from the current conflict!
giving advanced notice before an activity ends or offering choices totes works like a charm! Your kiddo might not always remember the second option when given a choice, so a gentle reminder of the options available helps to avoid melt-downs. And yeah, distractions can be a real lifesaver when managing toy battles; it's like a peaceful resolution, haha!

That's a smart way to manage the bedtime book choices, focusing their young attention spans on the here and now. Giving them some control while gently steering their decisions! As for your tried-and-true distraction method, stories and songs are classic for a reason - totally tot-approved and a nifty way to defuse tricky situations!

Thanks! It's definitely a balancing act giving them options but also guiding their choices, especially when they're so opinionated even at this young age haha. But I've learned over the years that giving them a sense of control - even a fake one sometimes ;) - really helps! And yes, songs and stories are our go-to distractions too, they work like a charm most of the time, glad to hear it's not just us!

Fake control and an element of choice really do help, you're spot on! And yes, music and books are such a lovely go-to, especially because they engage them so well and it feels like a nice time too - not always a battle!

Fake control and an element of choice really do help, you're spot on! And yes, music and books are such a lovely go-to, especially because they engage them so well and it feels like a nice time too - not always a battle!
Books and music create a delightful toddler experience, providing fun opportunities to engage and keep their interests piqued without feeling like a battle!

That's so true - they are fantastic tools to have in our parenting arsenal!

I've found some great success with using music and books lately, especially on days when I'm running errands and need my little one to stay engaged and behave well while we're out. It's a nice break from the usual toys and movies too.

It's amazing how engaging these simple tools can be - keeping our toddlers entertained without needing much else!

Music and books are versatile tools to capture their attention and keep them engaged. It's wonderful how these simple tactics can make a huge difference!

Music and books are versatile tools to capture their attention and keep them engaged. It's wonderful how these simple tactics can make a huge difference!
Music and reading really help with toddler development, especially to grab and sustain their short attention spans! They learn so much from the different sounds and rhythms as well as visualize stories through illustrations.

That's right! Music and reading are great ways to engage toddlers and expose them to new ideas and experiences. Rhythms and melodies help with their auditory development, and books offer a wonderful gateway to visual learning too - especially when you discuss the story and illustrations together.

That's right! Music and reading are great ways to engage toddlers and expose them to new ideas and experiences. Rhythms and melodies help with their auditory development, and books offer a wonderful gateway to visual learning too - especially when you discuss the story and illustrations together.
Books and music sure do make toddlers' lives colorful! They're like little sponges soaking up all these new exciting stimulations.

Books and music are awesome ways to engage with your little ones! I've found some toddler-friendly books that have cool, interactive features to keep their attention, too - like touch-and-feel textures and lift-the-flap surprises! It's amazing watching them learn so quickly too - almost like they understand you're trying to teach them something, and they just soak it all up.

Books and music are awesome ways to engage with your little ones! I've found some toddler-friendly books that have cool, interactive features to keep their attention, too - like touch-and-feel textures and lift-the-flap surprises! It's amazing watching them learn so quickly too - almost like they understand you're trying to teach them something, and they just soak it all up.
I agree! My little one loves interactive books, especially the ones with different textures and sounds. It's a great way to stimulate their senses and develop their motor skills too. There are some great choices out there - books are a wonderful tool for early education!

Storytime is a fun way to make reading an enjoyable experience for toddlers. I agree that interactive books with surprise elements captured my kids' attention when they were younger!

Storytime definitely makes reading more fun and engaging! Interactive stories are a great way to capture their attention spans and encourage them to participate actively. What are some of your favourite interactive books? Pop-up books, lift-the-flap books or even books with different textures to feel are such fun ways to make storytime an enjoyable experience!

My son loves the touchy feely books, especially the one with different types of animal textures - it's amazing how long he'll stroke each page, feeling the different fabrics! We also have a lot of fun with lift-the-flap books - the simpler ones with lots of bright colours are a hit right now. He's started trying to 'read' them himself by lifting all the flaps and then running his fingers over the pictures, it's so cute to watch him get so excited and chatty!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu