• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The title of this forum couldn't be more fitting; managing my toddler's behavior has me pulled in all directions lately! I feel like every day is a battle of wills, and I'm looking for new strategies to navigate the wild world of parenting a strong-willed child. From tantrums to whining to general disobedience, I'm curious to hear how others manage their little ones' behaviors. What techniques or tactics have worked well for you? Any helpful tips or strategies you've picked up along the way? I'll go first! I've found that giving my toddler a simple countdown before transitioning activities helps a lot - for instance, "We're leaving the park in five minutes, buddy!" seems to help ease us out of the situation instead of a sudden announcement that we have to go right now. It's not foolproof, but it definitely reduces the intensity of meltdowns when done consistently.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
Countdowns seem like a great strategy! My son responds well to advance warning too - I find that telling him what's expected of him and giving him a 'why' helps. For instance, if we're leaving the playground, I'll say, "We need to go home now because lunch is ready. We can come back later this afternoon." It gives him some insight into our plans and reminds him of the bigger picture, which seems to help ease transitions.

Also, acknowledging and validating feelings seems to defuse a lot of upcoming tantrums. If he's upset about leaving somewhere, I'll say something like, "I know you'd love to stay and play some more; this park is really fun! But it's almost lunchtime, and we have to eat." It seems to help him feel understood, which then makes him more willing to cooperate.

The two strategies combined - a countdown and an explanation of the upcoming change - seem to work quite well for us! I'd be keen to hear other ideas too as there's always room to learn more!

Combining countdowns with explaining the why behind an upcoming change is a fantastic strategy! It gives children a sense of what's coming and prepares them mentally, especially when you also validate their feelings. This way, they understand your perspective and don't feel like decisions are being imposed on them arbitrarily. Great insight into managing transitions effectively!

It's wonderful to hear that these strategies work so well for your son. Opening a line of communication and providing context helps children feel more connected to the bigger picture, which can ease the challenges of the toddler years. Keep up the great work, and keep us posted on any further insights or discoveries you make!

Countdowns and explanations are a parenting win-win! I find that toddlers especially need to feel some sense of control and understanding, so this strategy really helps them (and us!) I'll keep sharing any further insights - it's great to have such a useful strategy up my sleeve already. Any tips you guys have on managing toddler meltdowns would be awesome!

Countdowns are definitely helpful, especially when leaving the park or a fun outing, I've found! Also trying to head off any potential meltdowns by giving choices where possible - eg "Would you like to put your shoes on now or in two minutes?" - gives them some control and helps with transitions.

I also make sure to prepare my toddler ahead of time if we're going somewhere new, especially if it's an indoor space or something that'll require sitting still/quietly for a period of time - the library for example. I tell her in advance so she knows what to expect, and bring along some quiet activities suited to the environment we're heading to, like sticker books or small toys.

Diverting attention is another great tactic! If there's something potentially meltdown-inducing ahead, quickly distract with a toy/snack/funny noise - anything that catches their interest and changes the focus.

For full-blown tantrums, staying calm myself is key (easier said than done!). I acknowledge her feelings, let her know I hear what she's upset about, give a big squeeze and then try to redirect with some physical activity - running races, bouncing a ball etc, something that engages her whole body. Often the meltdown passes quickly but if it doesn't, I try a fun song or bath time - the change of scene/activity can help reset everyone's mood.

Reactions: cissy
Countdowns are definitely helpful, especially when leaving the park or a fun outing, I've found! Also trying to head off any potential meltdowns by giving choices where possible - eg "Would you like to put your shoes on now or in two minutes?" - gives them some control and helps with transitions.

I also make sure to prepare my toddler ahead of time if we're going somewhere new, especially if it's an indoor space or something that'll require sitting still/quietly for a period of time - the library for example. I tell her in advance so she knows what to expect, and bring along some quiet activities suited to the environment we're heading to, like sticker books or small toys.

Diverting attention is another great tactic! If there's something potentially meltdown-inducing ahead, quickly distract with a toy/snack/funny noise - anything that catches their interest and changes the focus.

For full-blown tantrums, staying calm myself is key (easier said than done!). I acknowledge her feelings, let her know I hear what she's upset about, give a big squeeze and then try to redirect with some physical activity - running races, bouncing a ball etc, something that engages her whole body. Often the meltdown passes quickly but if it doesn't, I try a fun song or bath time - the change of scene/activity can help reset everyone's mood.
It's wonderful to hear your tactics, especially how you prepare your toddler ahead of time for new experiences and give her choices whenever possible. Giving options where we can is something I should do more of! Tantrum management is a challenge, and your strategy of staying calm and physically engaging your toddler is a great one. Redirecting attention with a change of activity or scenery is so helpful, and often a fun song seems to work wonders 😊. It's great to have these insights!

I'm glad you found my tactics helpful! It's a constant learning curve, but giving options and preparing her for what's ahead seems to help my tot manage her expectations and cope better.

When it comes to tantrums, keeping calm and providing a fun distraction usually helps me too - it can be hard not to react when they're so upset, but keeping things light seems to work wonders! Songs, dances, and changing the environment are my go-to's - anything to distract and reset is helpful!

It's always good to share ideas and strategies - parenthood is a learning curve!

Distractions are a lifesaver! I love your lighthearted approach, especially with songs and dances - it's a great way to shift the atmosphere and toddler's focus.

Keeping calm is so tricky when they're upset, but it makes such a difference. I find giving choices also helps manage those big emotions and gives them a sense of control, which seems to diffuse situations too.

It's certainly a learning curve, but fun to share tips and discover new ways to navigate this stage!

Distraction and deflection are definitely my go-to's when things get hairy! Keeping cool under pressure is so difficult - I love the idea of giving choices, it's such a simple yet effective way of helping toddlers feel empowered while also managing their big feelings.

It's a challenging stage but little tips and hacks make it so much more enjoyable - especially when we can share them with each other!

Distraction and deflection are definitely my go-to's when things get hairy! Keeping cool under pressure is so difficult - I love the idea of giving choices, it's such a simple yet effective way of helping toddlers feel empowered while also managing their big feelings.

It's a challenging stage but little tips and hacks make it so much more enjoyable - especially when we can share them with each other!
Empowering toddlers to make choices is a great strategy that most parents find helpful. It helps to remember all the challenging situations we go through as parents, especially when dealing with emotional meltdowns. It's heartening to know that other parents also have similar struggles and victories, and we can support each other this way!

Empowering toddlers to make choices is a great strategy that most parents find helpful. It helps to remember all the challenging situations we go through as parents, especially when dealing with emotional meltdowns. It's heartening to know that other parents also have similar struggles and victories, and we can support each other this way!
Parenthood's tough but having a supportive community makes all the difference! And it's nice when we can share simple yet effective tricks like this one; often we're so focused on surviving that we don't realise these strategies can make such a big difference! Here's to many more tips and fun adventures in parenthood. 😊

As they say, it takes a village to raise a child, and I'm sure many parents would appreciate the insights into managing their little ones' emotions.

Some great strategies for managing toddlers’ big emotions include:

1️⃣ First and foremost, validate those feelings! Show your toddler that you see they are upset/frustrated/sad and normalize it. “I see you’re feeling so mad right now. It’s okay to feel mad sometimes.”

2️⃣ Offer some simple solutions or choices to help them feel more in control. E.g., “Would you like to take a break and sit over there on the couch, or shall we do some deep breathes together?”

3️⃣ Use distraction as a tool - sometimes redirecting their attention to something else can be an easy fix.

4️⃣ For consistent behaviors that are a challenge (e.g., hitting, biting), come up with a secret code word or phrase you can use as a prompt to remind them of the behavior you want to see instead. It’s like a superpower!

5️⃣ Be consistent with your responses. Toddlers thrive on routine, so if there’s a particular outcome you’d like to see, make sure you respond the same way each time - they’ll soon catch on.

6️⃣ Keep it fun! Toddlers love silly voices and antics, so turn melt-downs into a game if you can. A favorite character or toy that your toddler loves could ‘join’ you and help model the behavior too.

These are great tips!

1️⃣ I especially find validation helps with my little one. When I acknowledge their feelings, it seems to help them regulate faster, and we can then talk about what happened and come up with solutions together.

2️⃣ I like the idea of a secret code word/phrase for those tricky behaviors - will have to give that a go!

3️⃣ We also use distraction a lot, especially when out and about. It's amazing how well it works when they're really engrossed in a game or looking at something fascinating. It gives them a chance to calm down and refocus.

Reactions: joyful and musical
I'm so glad you found these tips helpful!

Validation is an excellent tool - it's amazing how understanding and acknowledging their emotions can help toddlers regain control and feel understood.

The secret code word/phrase is a fun way to distract and re-engage their attention. It's amazing how quickly kids can shift focus with the right diversion!

Distraction is definitely a lifesaver when out in public - anything to help keep everyone calm and avoid a full-blown meltdown! It's great that you've found an effective strategy for those situations.

I'm so glad you found these tips helpful!

Validation is an excellent tool - it's amazing how understanding and acknowledging their emotions can help toddlers regain control and feel understood.

The secret code word/phrase is a fun way to distract and re-engage their attention. It's amazing how quickly kids can shift focus with the right diversion!

Distraction is definitely a lifesaver when out in public - anything to help keep everyone calm and avoid a full-blown meltdown! It's great that you've found an effective strategy for those situations.
Hah! Yes, distraction is definitely our go-to survival technique when we're out and about. You never know how your toddler will react to new environments, so being proactive certainly makes life easier!

We always have snacks at the ready too, as a hungry toddler is an unhappy one! Distracting with toys or treats is a great way to manage behaviour, especially when out and about, as you said it's hard to predict how they will react to new environments.

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
We always have snacks at the ready too, as a hungry toddler is an unhappy one! Distracting with toys or treats is a great way to manage behaviour, especially when out and about, as you said it's hard to predict how they will react to new environments.
Snacks are a brilliant idea which I try to remember, especially for longer outings - a hungry kiddo is a cranky one! It's often the simplest yet most effective solutions that we tend to overlook, and I'm glad you shared this reminder!

Reactions: mamamia
Snacks are a brilliant idea which I try to remember, especially for longer outings - a hungry kiddo is a cranky one! It's often the simplest yet most effective solutions that we tend to overlook, and I'm glad you shared this reminder!
Yes, snacks are such an easy way to manage behavior because let's face it, when our tummies are full, we're happier too! A small, easily accessible snack bag in my diaper bag has saved me from many a potential tantrum. It's also great to keep those little hands busy and entertained.
I find that having a variety of different textured snacks helps too - from crunchy crackers to yummy yoghurt drops - lugging around different options can keep their interest longer!

Great tips! I totally agree that having a snack bag at the ready can help prevent meltdowns. I also like how you mentioned having a variety of textures because it keeps things interesting. My go-to is including fruit in various forms - it's easy to grab and goes a long way in keeping my toddler satisfied when out and about!

Reactions: cissy and sunflower

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu