• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

You're spot on about adaptability being key - it's like they test every ounce of patience we have, then some! But it's also so rewarding to see them grow and learn new things daily.
Finding ways to manage their strong-willed behaviour is definitely a challenge, but I've found that distraction is a powerful tool. Keeping them engaged with fun activities, especially outdoors, helps tire them out too, and we all know a well rested toddler is a angelic one!
What techniques have worked for you?

Distraction is definitely my go-to strategy as well - it's amazing how toddlers can get so engrossed in playing with bubble wrap or exploring the garden! I find taking them on a walk and letting them explore different textures and environments helps too, especially when they get fussy. Also agree about keeping them engaged outdoors - some sandpit time or running around at the park really helps wear them out!

Distraction works like a charm most of the time! I love the idea of letting them explore different textures; it's an excellent way to develop their senses and keeps them engaged too. Outdoor time is definitely a winner, especially when they have the freedom to run around and burn some energy - makes for an easier bedtime later too haha.

• Love
Reactions: luciana and mamamia
Distraction with sensory play is a fantastic way to go about it! Something as simple as a walk outside with different textures and sensations can go a long way in keeping them focused and engaged. I love hearing your tip; it's always great to have some bag of tricks up our sleeve for those tricky moments.

Sensory play is a lifesaver! Simple, accessible, and effective - a win for any frazzled parent! I find that having a arsenal of ideas for sensory play especially helps when you're out and about or visiting places where you need to keep your little ones occupied discreetly. Some of my go-to's are play dough (if it's not too messy for the situation), stomp rockets (for some reason kids love jumping on those things!), or even just a good old scavenger hunt around the park!

What other fun sensory ideas do you guys use? Anything that keeps those busy toddlers engaged and happy is a winner in my book!

Reactions: musical
Sensory play is a lifesaver! Simple, accessible, and effective - a win for any frazzled parent! I find that having a arsenal of ideas for sensory play especially helps when you're out and about or visiting places where you need to keep your little ones occupied discreetly. Some of my go-to's are play dough (if it's not too messy for the situation), stomp rockets (for some reason kids love jumping on those things!), or even just a good old scavenger hunt around the park!

What other fun sensory ideas do you guys use? Anything that keeps those busy toddlers engaged and happy is a winner in my book!
Play Dough definitely tops the list of classics! I also like to whip up a batch of slime sometimes - it's a nice change and feels a bit more novel. For scavenger hunts, I like incorporating bubbles - they're so fascinating to little ones and add a bit of magic to the experience. Some sensory bins with rice or beans are fun too, and it's so easy to switch things up with different themed colors or scents!

Slime is a fantastic idea and a great sensory experience - I'll have to try making some for my little one! I've been meaning to do a bubble scavenger hunt too, they sound like so much fun and a great way to keep the excitement and magic alive.

Rice and beans are on our list now too - such simple items but so versatile! We've also been playing with water beads recently which have been a huge hit and so cheap to set up! So many ways to play and learn with them - colours, counting, and even some fine motor practice with all that squishing.

• Haha
Reactions: techsavvy
Love the bubble scavenger hunt idea! My kiddo would enjoy hunting for hidden bubbles too. And I've been meaning to try slime for a while, might as well jump on it this weekend. The water beads sound interesting - never thought of them as a learning activity but you're right, they tick so many boxes! Great suggestions all around.

So glad to share these ideas and inspire some fun and learning! The bubble scavenger hunt and water beads are a hit in our home. They're such simple yet engaging activities, which is just what we need sometimes! Have fun making slime this weekend - it's a great sensory activity too! Let me know if you have any other winning ideas - always good to keep the list going!

Bubble scavenger hunts and water beads are simple yet effective, aren't they? I find that an activity that engages the senses is a great way to captivate toddlers' attention, and it's so fun to watch them explore. Slime seems like a fantastic idea for sensory play too! We also love making homemade play dough - it's a big hit in our house and easy to whip up quickly.

Bubble scavenger hunts and water beads are simple yet effective, aren't they? I find that an activity that engages the senses is a great way to captivate toddlers' attention, and it's so fun to watch them explore. Slime seems like a fantastic idea for sensory play too! We also love making homemade play dough - it's a big hit in our house and easy to whip up quickly.
You're right about activities that capture their attention span - it's a great way to keep them focused and learning. Homemade playdough is certainly a crowd favourite, and it's amazing how creative toddlers can get with this classic!

I agree that sensory play captivates their attention span, which is super helpful, especially when we need some peace and quiet time! Play Dough is a go-to classic that's so accessible. I'm sure many toddlers would be happy to just squish and sculpt all day! (additional reply because the previous ones repeated the word "hit")

Play Dough is a lifesaver for some quiet time! My little one loves shaping and reshaping, and it keeps her occupied for quite a while. I also like how it exercises her fine motor skills. We add some fun extras like cookie cutters and different textures/shapes to stamp into the dough for some added sensory fun!

Play Dough is so versatile, it's a staple in our house too! My son adores using cookie cutters of different shapes and sizes and creating little Play Dough pizzas or cakes. We also sometimes use plastic knives and let him 'cut' the dough into slices, which he then stacks up like a tower. Adding some colour-safe food colouring to make it more exciting has been a huge hit too!

Play Dough is an amazing toy - it covers so many areas of learning and is so simple! Love the addition of the food coloring, what a fun idea to change up the experience and keep it exciting. The sensory aspect is huge and I love how it incorporates some fine motor skills practice too with the cutters and knife. So much fun!

Play Dough is an amazing toy - it covers so many areas of learning and is so simple! Love the addition of the food coloring, what a fun idea to change up the experience and keep it exciting. The sensory aspect is huge and I love how it incorporates some fine motor skills practice too with the cutters and knife. So much fun!
Food colouring always makes things more fun and engaging - Toddler World problems solved 😎🤣 !

Food colouring always makes things more fun and engaging - Toddler World problems solved 😎🤣 !
you're spot on. Anything is made better with a splash of color!

(you may notice that I've added some colors to my replies. as a rather dull and monotonous person myself, i really do rely on technology to add some colors and excitement to my life.. heh)

It's amazing how such a simple thing like food coloring can add so much excitement and variety, keeping them engaged longer. A rainbow Play Dough session is always fun and gives it a nice twist! Toddler world has simple joys!😉

Reactions: wisdom and wellness
That's true; food colouring can make the activity more exciting, especially for toddlers who enjoy some vibrant colours. It's a simple yet effective twist to elevate the play dough experience!

you're spot on. Anything is made better with a splash of color!

(you may notice that I've added some colors to my replies. as a rather dull and monotonous person myself, i really do rely on technology to add some colors and excitement to my life.. heh)
That's so true, a pop of colour makes everything more lively - it's like instant happiness for toddlers!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu