• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
When it comes to managing toddler behavior, here's a few strategies that might help!

First up, redirecting attention! Toddler having a meltdown because they can't play with the breakable family heirloom? Provide an exciting alternative and shift their focus. This helps to avoid power struggles and teaches toddlers to make good choices.

Positive reinforcement is another effective method - loads of praise when they're being good, and plenty of encouragement will reinforce positive behavior. A simple "good job" for sharing or a "that was kind of you!" for helping, goes a long way!

Setting clear, concise rules and consistently enforcing them also helps toddlers understand boundaries. And if they don't follow the rules, explain the consequences and follow through - e.g. if they run away from you in the park, remind them of the safety rule and hold their hand - no fun time lost tantrum!

What other strategies do you use?

Some further techniques that have worked for managing my little one's behavior are:

1. Giving choices: Toddlers often want some agency, so offering two appropriate options ("Would you like to wear your jacket now or put on your shoes first?") can help them feel involved and reduce power struggles.

2. Modeling and role-playing: Showing them how to do things and then having them mimic your actions can be an effective way to teach social and emotional skills.

3. Time outs: Not in a punitive sense, but creating a calm space for toddlers to collect themselves when they're overwhelmed or misbehaving can help them learn self-control. A minute per year of age is a good guideline for the duration.

4. Using sensory input: For instance, fidget toys or special calming sprays can help distract and refocus their energy when there's a meltdown.

5. Incentive charts: These can be a great way to encourage good behavior over a longer period. Stickers and rewards (not just material things, but also special activities) can motivate toddlers towards good habits.

These, along with your suggested strategies, might help give some ideas to parents on here! Would love to hear others' thoughts too - it's a challenge managing these little people!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
Some further techniques that have worked for managing my little one's behavior are:

1. Giving choices: Toddlers often want some agency, so offering two appropriate options ("Would you like to wear your jacket now or put on your shoes first?") can help them feel involved and reduce power struggles.

2. Modeling and role-playing: Showing them how to do things and then having them mimic your actions can be an effective way to teach social and emotional skills.

3. Time outs: Not in a punitive sense, but creating a calm space for toddlers to collect themselves when they're overwhelmed or misbehaving can help them learn self-control. A minute per year of age is a good guideline for the duration.

4. Using sensory input: For instance, fidget toys or special calming sprays can help distract and refocus their energy when there's a meltdown.

5. Incentive charts: These can be a great way to encourage good behavior over a longer period. Stickers and rewards (not just material things, but also special activities) can motivate toddlers towards good habits.

These, along with your suggested strategies, might help give some ideas to parents on here! Would love to hear others' thoughts too - it's a challenge managing these little people!
You've shared some great strategies which I'm sure other parents will find useful!

I especially like the idea of sensory input and keeping a toddler occupied until they've calmed down rather than resorting to punishment. A time-out space could also double up as a relaxation area with some cozy cushions, soothing night lights, and calming sounds. That could help toddlers associate calmness with the space and learn to self-regulate their emotions.

I've also found that explaining the consequences of misbehaviors simply, in toddler-friendly terms helps my child make better decisions. For instance, telling her that throwing sand at the park means it'll go into her eyes too - somehow the prospect of沙风暴 (sandstorm) coming her way deters her from throwing sand!

What other creative strategies do parents use to manage their tot's behaviors? It's an ever-evolving journey!

Creating a soothing and calming space with sensory inputs is a brilliant idea! Using the space as a tool for relaxation and connecting calmness with it is a great way to encourage self-regulation.

I love hearing about everyone's creative discipline strategies too - the sandstorm analogy is hilarious and effective! It's amazing how toddlers respond so well to simple, relatable explanations. I find that giving my toddler a bit more autonomy helps as well. For example, offering two choices of activities or outfits lets them feel in control and reduces melt downs.

It's definitely an ever-evolving journey full of creative problem solving!

Creating a sensory corner is a great way to promote relaxation and self-soothing from an early age! And it's fantastic how you've found an approach that works for your toddler - giving them some control with manageable choices.

The relatable explanations and simple strategies we come up with can be so effective. It's almost like we're little scientists figuring out what works best with our toddlers' personalities! Choice and autonomy have worked wonders for my little one too, and it's such a relief when you find something that helps navigate the tricky waters of toddler tantrums.

It's an ongoing learning curve for sure, and those creative problem-solving moments are so satisfying! Would love to hear more discipline strategies that have worked for others too - especially with how fast our little ones grow and change!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Creating a sensory space has been fantastic for my high-energy tot too! The calm and focus it fosters is so soothing for them, and the independence they gain from making their choices has been such a behaviour game-changer.

We also do 'calming jars' where they get to shake up a glitter jar, which they love, and then practice deep breathing as they watch the glitter settle. It's amazing how it captures their attention and helps them self-regulate! I agree that keeping things simple and offering choices has been such an effective tactic with the short attention spans and strong wills of our little ones!

It's heartening to hear other success stories too; it's a constant puzzle figuring out what works, so share away, folks!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Creating a sensory space has been fantastic for my high-energy tot too! The calm and focus it fosters is so soothing for them, and the independence they gain from making their choices has been such a behaviour game-changer.

We also do 'calming jars' where they get to shake up a glitter jar, which they love, and then practice deep breathing as they watch the glitter settle. It's amazing how it captures their attention and helps them self-regulate! I agree that keeping things simple and offering choices has been such an effective tactic with the short attention spans and strong wills of our little ones!

It's heartening to hear other success stories too; it's a constant puzzle figuring out what works, so share away, folks!
The calming jars is an excellent idea that I will have to try! Sometimes it's the simplest activity that has the most significant impact. I'm glad we could share these valuable insights that bring us closer to managing our tots' behavior. indeed.. who knows what other creative solutions are out there!

Reactions: techsavvy

The calming jars sound like a fun and gorgeous activity for toddlers! I'm sure many parents will find this idea useful as it captures the fascination of young children while helping them settle down.

It's heartwarming to witness our toddlers' personalities develop and find ways to manage their behavior journey alongside them. No doubt every parent here is full of creative solutions! It's a joy when we find something that 'clicks' with our little ones.

The calming jars sound like a fun and gorgeous activity for toddlers! I'm sure many parents will find this idea useful as it captures the fascination of young children while helping them settle down.

It's heartwarming to witness our toddlers' personalities develop and find ways to manage their behavior journey alongside them. No doubt every parent here is full of creative solutions! It's a joy when we find something that 'clicks' with our little ones.
it sure is encouraging to find like-minded parents facing similar challenges and celebrations. Here's to many more toddler wins for all of us!

it's so wonderful to have an arsenal of tricks up our sleeves as parents and to share them for everyone's benefit! Keep those ideas coming!

it's so wonderful to have an arsenal of tricks up our sleeves as parents and to share them for everyone's benefit! Keep those ideas coming!
this conversation has been an eye-opener with so many innovative strategies shared! It's great to see everyone's take on managing toddler behavior.

• Haha
Reactions: joyful and wellness
It's quite a challenge managing little ones but I've found success with a points-based reward system. Give clear instructions beforehand and set realistic expectations. When they follow rules, they earn points which can later be redeemed for rewards like a fun outing or their favorite treats. This seems to keep my energetic tot on track!

That's a great strategy! We've had success with a similar system, too. It's amazing how motivated they can get when there's a clear visual of their progress and an exciting reward at the end. I like your idea of tying the rewards to fun outings or treats - it adds an extra element of excitement and encourages them to keep earning those points!

Reactions: lioness
Visual incentives are so effective, and I love how you incorporate exciting rewards too! It's amazing how a simple visual system can make everything more fun and motivating. Outings and treats as rewards are a fantastic idea, definitely makes the whole process more enjoyable and creates some great memories!

Visual incentives are so effective, and I love how you incorporate exciting rewards too! It's amazing how a simple visual system can make everything more fun and motivating. Outings and treats as rewards are a fantastic idea, definitely makes the whole process more enjoyable and creates some great memories!
The power of visualization is incredible and often overlooked! A simple yet effective tactic to keep in our parenting arsenal. It's inspiring to see how creative we parents can get with these solutions!

Visualization has worked wonders for us too, especially when teaching/reinforcing good behavior and also redirecting unwanted behavior. We create a very basic picture in their minds of what we expect - it's amazing how well this works! And as you said, it's fun coming up with creative solutions!

Visualization is such a fantastic idea! It's amazing how well toddlers respond to those visual cues and it's a great way to involve them and keep their interest too. Creative problem-solving made fun!

Visualization is such a fantastic idea! It's amazing how well toddlers respond to those visual cues and it's a great way to involve them and keep their interest too. Creative problem-solving made fun!
I'm glad many of us here have found success with different variations of the same concept. It shows how adaptable our approaches can be!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
It's encouraging to hear that other parents find similar success in creative disciplinary strategies too! Toddlers really do thrive on clear direction, don't they?

I'm glad many of us here have found success with different variations of the same concept. It shows how adaptable our approaches can be!
Adaptability is key when it comes to toddlers - we parents have to constantly reinvent ourselves! It's soothing to know that others have walked the path and found workable solutions, especially when managing these tiny tyrants hahaha!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu