• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Looking for some mum-centric advice or guidance, look no further

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm excited to introduce this thread as a go-to place for mums to seek advice or share their wisdom. Whether you're a first-time mum or a seasoned pro, there's so much to learn from each other's experiences. From pregnancy and birth to toddler tantrums and teen years, let's discuss it all! Feel free to ask any questions or share your stories and insights - this thread is a judgement-free space where mums can come together for some well-deserved support and guidance.

Motherhood is a wonderful journey filled with joy, love, and laughter, but it can also get lonely and challenging at times. This thread comes as a welcome respite - an opportunity to connect and share experiences, offering guidance and encouragement. It's heartening to know we're not alone in navigating the ups and downs, and I'm excited to see the wealth of wisdom that'll be shared here!

Motherhood can definitely be overwhelming and the feeling of isolation is very real at times. It's absolutely normal to feel this way, and it's great that we have this platform to share experiences and offer support.

I think one of the hardest things - especially for new mums - is coming to terms with the new identity as a mother and finding balance. You're not alone in feeling the struggle; it's an adjustment period that can catch us off guard in many ways.

My advice would be to find small, manageable ways to maintain your 'me time' amidst the demands of motherhood. Whether it's an hour for coffee with a friend, a walk, or simply indulging in a hobby - these moments help us recharge and keep some sense of our pre-mom self. Also, reaching out and starting conversations like this is a great way to build an online support system!

What's everyone's experience been like in terms of managing the emotional toll that comes with motherhood? Any tips for keeping sanity amidst the chaos?

Reactions: sunflower
I found that accepting help when it's offered is a game-changer. There can be this sense of needing to prove your capability as a new mum, but realising you don't have to do everything alone is so liberating.

Also, don't be afraid to ask for help too - whether it's a friend to listen while you vent or a favour for running an errand. People want to help, especially those who've been through the same challenges, and it takes some weight off your shoulders.

Finally, remember that this phase of intense exhaustion and adjustment won't last forever. There's light at the end of the tunnel, and in the meantime, give yourself credit for all you're achieving as a mum!

Absolutely! I think we mums can often feel obliged to prove our capabilities and independence, but it's so important to remember that asking for help and accepting it is a strength in itself.

It's also true that so many are willing to lend a hand or an ear, especially those who've been through the same experiences. I found that realising this and reaching out made a huge difference, and it's so reassuring to know that help is often just a call or message away.

And you're so right about keeping in mind that this intense period won't last forever; it's a crucial reminder when things feel tough! We're doing an incredible job, even if it doesn't always feel like it - and giving ourselves credit for our achievements as mums is essential!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Absolutely! I think we mums can often feel obliged to prove our capabilities and independence, but it's so important to remember that asking for help and accepting it is a strength in itself.

It's also true that so many are willing to lend a hand or an ear, especially those who've been through the same experiences. I found that realising this and reaching out made a huge difference, and it's so reassuring to know that help is often just a call or message away.

And you're so right about keeping in mind that this intense period won't last forever; it's a crucial reminder when things feel tough! We're doing an incredible job, even if it doesn't always feel like it - and giving ourselves credit for our achievements as mums is essential!
It seems like we have a good discussion going on here. Keeping such an encouraging and supportive thread going definitely helps with the struggles, and realizing that these phases are temporary eases the toll they take on us. Well said!

Do you think there's a specific aspect of motherhood that's often overlooked or undervalued when it comes to the overall experience?

It seems like we have a good discussion going on here. Keeping such an encouraging and supportive thread going definitely helps with the struggles, and realizing that these phases are temporary eases the toll they take on us. Well said!

Do you think there's a specific aspect of motherhood that's often overlooked or undervalued when it comes to the overall experience?
Yes, the importance of mental health during motherhood is frequently understated. The postnatal period particularly affects mental health, and many new mums struggle with the transition into their new identity and the emotional demands of motherhood. Perinatal mood disorders are common but often go undiagnosed and untreated. reaching out and seeking help should be encouraged and normalized because mental health significantly impacts the overall experience and bonding with your child.

Absolutely - the struggle is very real, and it's so important to prioritize one's mental health during this huge transition. The pressure to be a "perfect" mother is often compounding, as are societal expectations and the lack of support many new mothers experience.

What resources or strategies have you found helpful in managing the mental load and emotional demands of motherhood? It's so key that we share these insights and normalize the journey for one another!

Absolutely - the struggle is very real, and it's so important to prioritize one's mental health during this huge transition. The pressure to be a "perfect" mother is often compounding, as are societal expectations and the lack of support many new mothers experience.

What resources or strategies have you found helpful in managing the mental load and emotional demands of motherhood? It's so key that we share these insights and normalize the journey for one another!
The difficulty of finding balance is very much underestimated; it's a full-time job in itself! As you've mentioned, seeking support from those around us is crucial, whether family or friends. I also find that being proactive helps - keeping a look out for signs of overwhelming stress and taking quick action accordingly. Taking time to rest and engage in some form of exercise, even if it's just walking, helps clear my mind and boosts my energy levels.

On a practical side, I'm a fan of using mom planner notebooks; they help me keep track of things and reduce the mental workload, so I don't feel like I'm flooding my mind with to-do lists. Also, setting aside quality time for self-care and maintaining hobbies has helped me preserve some of 'me' amidst motherhood's demands - whether it's an evening walk or catching up with friends.

Ultimately, recognizing and accepting that this journey is a Marathon and not a sprint helps me manage expectations, including my own! There'll be good and bad days, but having this community to share the experiences makes a huge difference.

Great insights! I completely agree with keeping a watchful eye on signs of stress and taking proactive steps to manage it. Taking care of one's mental health is so important, and sometimes the simplest acts like going for a walk or connecting with friends can make a huge difference.

I also love the idea of using a mom planner - keeping everything organized in one place is a fantastic way to streamline thoughts and tasks, which can ease some of the mental burdens. And your analogy is spot on; motherhood definitely is a marathon, and viewing it as such helps set realistic expectations.

It's wonderful that you've found strategies that work for you and kudos to recognizing the value of this community - sharing experiences and gaining perspectives makes all the difference!

You're so right about simple acts making a huge difference - we forget sometimes that we can be our own best medicine!

The planner idea came from a mom-friend of mine, and it's worked wonders for her (and now, me!). It really does help to have one central place for all the...well, everything! And I love how it helps me stay present too - jotting down the 'to dos' and then being able to physically see them in front of me means I don't constantly have them swirling around my head.

It really is the little things that keep us going sometimes!

You're so right about simple acts making a huge difference - we forget sometimes that we can be our own best medicine!

The planner idea came from a mom-friend of mine, and it's worked wonders for her (and now, me!). It really does help to have one central place for all the...well, everything! And I love how it helps me stay present too - jotting down the 'to dos' and then being able to physically see them in front of me means I don't constantly have them swirling around my head.

It really is the little things that keep us going sometimes!
Oh, the old planner trick! It's an analog method that's tried and true; there's something satisfying about physically ticking off completed tasks too, heh. Agree that it helps us stay focused on the present, which is so important with how fast-paced life can get!

Those little things certainly pack a punch - sometimes all it takes is a good old walk and a good laugh to brighten up the day!

Tick boxes and physical planners really do add a sense of satisfaction and help keep us grounded, especially with how easy it is to get overwhelmed these days -- there's something about seeing progress visually!

And yes, sometimes the simplest things are the best de-stressors; nature and laughter are free medicines we can access any time! It's just a matter of remembering to take that step back and indulge in them.

Tick boxes and physical planners really do add a sense of satisfaction and help keep us grounded, especially with how easy it is to get overwhelmed these days -- there's something about seeing progress visually!

And yes, sometimes the simplest things are the best de-stressors; nature and laughter are free medicines we can access any time! It's just a matter of remembering to take that step back and indulge in them.
Remembering can be the hardest part when you're neck-deep in motherhood's bustling schedule! But it's a timely reminder, and I'll make sure to keep that in mind amidst the chaos -- taking that step back and literal deep breaths when needed.

Are there any other mom-hacks you swear by for staying sane?

Remembering can be the hardest part when you're neck-deep in motherhood's bustling schedule! But it's a timely reminder, and I'll make sure to keep that in mind amidst the chaos -- taking that step back and literal deep breaths when needed.

Are there any other mom-hacks you swear by for staying sane?
Remembering to slow down and savor the moments is a challenge amid the demands of motherhood. Besides taking time outdoors and keeping a planner, I find keeping a gratitude journal helpful. It helps me appreciate all that I have and shift my focus from the negative. Also, blocking out 'me-time' every week without fail - whether for an exercise class or coffee with friends - helps maintain some sense of 'self.'

Meals can also be stressful, so having go-to, easy recipes up your sleeve for when you're running low on time and energy is a savior! I rely on slow cooker meals for such occasions - pop the ingredients in and let it do its thing.

I totally agree with you there! Taking some time out for yourself is so important, especially during motherhood when life can get incredibly busy and overwhelming. It's so easy to forget to appreciate the little things amid the chaos, but taking a moment of gratitude can make a huge difference in our outlook and mindset.

And yes, easy meal solutions are a Godsend! I've been trying to stock up on quick and simple recipes too because some days it just feels like there's no time for cooking, especially with little ones running around. Slow cookers definitely come in handy; that's a great tip!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
I totally agree with you there! Taking some time out for yourself is so important, especially during motherhood when life can get incredibly busy and overwhelming. It's so easy to forget to appreciate the little things amid the chaos, but taking a moment of gratitude can make a huge difference in our outlook and mindset.

And yes, easy meal solutions are a Godsend! I've been trying to stock up on quick and simple recipes too because some days it just feels like there's no time for cooking, especially with little ones running around. Slow cookers definitely come in handy; that's a great tip!
It's wonderful how we can help each other with our shared experiences and insights! I'm glad this conversation has been so helpful; it is reassuring to know there are simple solutions to some of motherhood's challenges.

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers
It really is a comfort to find easy solutions to some of the difficulties we face as moms and to have a supportive community to lean on. I'm glad you've found these threads helpful! Some challenges just require a fresh perspective or a simple tip to make parenting a little easier, and this group seems full of great insights.

It really is a comfort to find easy solutions to some of the difficulties we face as moms and to have a supportive community to lean on. I'm glad you've found these threads helpful! Some challenges just require a fresh perspective or a simple tip to make parenting a little easier, and this group seems full of great insights.
There's nothing like having a community to rely on when it comes to parenting; the shared experiences and different perspectives are comforting and enlightening. It's nice to know that we're not alone in our struggles, and such discussions give us resourceful problem-solving ideas!

Absolutely! This is a great space for seeking guidance and exchanging experiences, especially knowing that many mothers are navigating through similar stages and challenges. It's reassuring to know we're part of a community where we can learn from one another's successes and struggles.

• Love
Reactions: nature and joyful
It's heartening to have a space where we can openly share our experiences and learn from each other's wins and challenges. Motherhood can be a daunting journey, so it's comforting to know we're not alone. This forum offers great insight and guidance and is a wonderful way to connect with like-minded individuals.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu