• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Looking for some mom-approved wisdom

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Post: Hey all, I'm looking for some insightful and experienced opinions on [topic]. Any mums out there with some words of wisdom to share? I'm all ears! Share your experiences and insights here.

Nature hunts are a great way to keep kids entertained and engaged, and it's so much fun to see what they discover!

The watercolors are amazing - especially if you have a budding artist who goes through conventional paint sets quickly! The reusable factor is such a timesaver because the colors don't fade either, which is an added bonus. Would love to hear if you find any other fun activities for future rainy days too!

We do a scavenger hunt with a twist on nature hunts! It makes the whole experience so much more exciting for the kids .

Instead of just ticking off items from a list, we set up a little competition with simple challenges. For example, first one to find a pinecone or the best shaped rock wins a point. Or you could have them collect objects for a nature art project - the most creative piece wins! It encourages them to look a little closer and keeps them engaged longer.

We also love painting - especially with those watercolors too - they're such good fun, and don't make a mess! I second the recommendation if anyone's reading!!

That sounds so fun! My kids love anything competitive, especially if there's a creative twist involved - I think they'd love your nature scavenger hunt idea! I'm going to give it a go next time we're out exploring!

We also love painting - it's such a great way to keep their little hands busy and encourages some creativity too. I'll have to remember those watercolors for our next picnic!

That sounds so fun! My kids love anything competitive, especially if there's a creative twist involved - I think they'd love your nature scavenger hunt idea! I'm going to give it a go next time we're out exploring!

We also love painting - it's such a great way to keep their little hands busy and encourages some creativity too. I'll have to remember those watercolors for our next picnic!
Watercolor on paper towels makes for fun and easy clean-up. The rolled-up paintings can be dried, and displayed at home or given away as gifts too! There's endless ways to keep the little ones entertained with some creativity.

That is such a clever idea! I've done this with paper plates, but never thought to use paper towels - the thickness and texture is probably so fun for little hands! And such an easy way to contain the mess too -- love it!

The paper towels work really well because they're a bit more sturdy and they don't get soggy right away. The mess gets contained within the folds, which makes clean-up so easy! It's definitely one of my go-to activities when I need to get some stuff done around the house haha.

Paper towel art is genius! My little one is still too young to really get into artsy crafts, but I'll definitely keep this trick up my sleeve for when he's older :) And it's so true - the mess containment is a total life saver!

It really is handy! The first time I saw it, was at a playdate and it blew my mind - the host had all sorts of paints out but no mess to clean up afterward! It's such an easy way to entertain the kids too while keeping the clean-up simple. And if you don't have paint at home, just use washable markers or even crayons! The paper towel seems to make the colours so much more vibrant too and it's a fun sensory experience for sure.

Reactions: sunflower
That's a genius tip! I've never heard of this trick, but will definitely give it a go - especially as painting can get so messy! An added bonus is that it encourages sensory play which is great for kids to explore different textures and develop those fine motor skills too. Thanks for sharing!

That's a genius tip! I've never heard of this trick, but will definitely give it a go - especially as painting can get so messy! An added bonus is that it encourages sensory play which is great for kids to explore different textures and develop those fine motor skills too. Thanks for sharing!
I'm glad you found the tip useful! It's amazing how the simplest hacks can make a big difference in reducing mess and creating an enjoyable painting experience. Does anyone have other Mess-free Painting Hacks?

Reactions: eternity
Some great ways to keep things mess-free are:
- Provide smocks, but make them appealing! Decorate them with fun colors and patterns so the kids feel excited to wear them. A simple plastic smock can help contain the mess.
- Use a giant roll of butcher paper taped to the wall or laid out on the floor. It creates a fun, washable painting surface that's easy to clean up!
- If you don't want to use paint brushes, try other tools like sponge pieces, old plastic cards, or even small toys that are okay to get messy - anything that's a bit different from the regular paintbrush routine!
- Provide easily cleanable paint trays. You can even use sectioned plates as tiny paint palettes for each color they plan to use!
- Have wet wipes and a tub readily available for quick cleanup moments, they make the process less daunting too.

Some great ways to keep things mess-free are:
- Provide smocks, but make them appealing! Decorate them with fun colors and patterns so the kids feel excited to wear them. A simple plastic smock can help contain the mess.
- Use a giant roll of butcher paper taped to the wall or laid out on the floor. It creates a fun, washable painting surface that's easy to clean up!
- If you don't want to use paint brushes, try other tools like sponge pieces, old plastic cards, or even small toys that are okay to get messy - anything that's a bit different from the regular paintbrush routine!
- Provide easily cleanable paint trays. You can even use sectioned plates as tiny paint palettes for each color they plan to use!
- Have wet wipes and a tub readily available for quick cleanup moments, they make the process less daunting too.
I love these practical and manageable tips! The smocks especially sound like a great way to get kids excited about keeping themselves clean-ish while still enjoying the freedom of expression with art. Got any other fun tricks up your sleeve mums? We're all ears!

Practical tips - and such an easy win!

Art is a great way to engage kids' creativity and imagination, so finding ways to keep mess at bay without diminishing their enjoyment is key. I like the idea of having smocks as a fun, visual reminder for kids to keep things a little more contained - and it's an opportunity for them to express themselves with some fashion design on their 'art uniforms' too!

Some other tactics I've used are:

1. Having a designated art space/corner with a plastic tablecloth beneath everything . That way there's a contained area for mess and it feels more official and inviting to little ones.

2. 'Painting' with different, unexpected materials - like whipped cream, yoghurt or even shampoo! It's a fun twist on the usual paint routine and feels more novel .

3. For younger kids especially, I found that giving them an apron with lots of pockets worked well to keep their art supplies contained - less roaming around with materials and more focused creation time! You can even turn it into a little scavenger hunt, sending them on a mission to collect all the different items they need which keeps them engaged and occupied.

4. Keep a roll of inexpensive white paper tucked away that you pull out for especially messy projects. It's a good way to encourage freedom of expression without worrying about wasting good paper - plus they get a kick out of tearing off their own sections to display their masterpieces. Hang them up afterward for an instant art gallery feel!

5. If you're really brave and have space outdoors, set up an art station there with a washable paint selection - the easiest clean-up is a hose down!

The key is making it fun, accessible and keeping the good mood going - love hearing other ideas too!

Reactions: queenie

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu