• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Life Made Easier

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Many parents shared their top tips for making parenting easier. Suggestions included using shower curtains under high chairs for messy eaters, having stocked emergency stashes in cars, using self-standing mesh bags for messy foods, and mopping floors with reusable cloths for environmental friendliness and ease. $2 plastic mats from Daiso are great for catching crumbs and mess, and oversize t-shirts can be used as a mat for babies to sit on. Busy bags packed with toys and activities are ideal for keeping children entertained when out and about, and portable speakers in the bathroom can make cleaning up more fun. Multi-use items like hoodies are handy for breastfeeding, covering messy hair and sunshading. For tantrums, threatening toy donations works well, and for juice spills, toothpaste is effective followed by regular washing. Some parents also recommend baby powder to clean sticky substances from various surfaces. These tips and tricks can help make parenting less stressful!

arenting can be tough, but we all have those clever tips and hacks that make life so much simpler. Share your best parenting hacks to help make everyday tasks easier!

I'll kick things off:

- For messy eaters, use a shower curtain under the high chair! Easy to wipe clean and saves hours of scrubbing the floor.

What simple yet effective ideas do you have to make parenting a little more manageable? Share your sanity savers here!

Parenting ah? Super tough but we all got our ways to survive.

I use the cheapo plastic table mats for arts and crafts time. You know, those flimsy ones that are like RM2 each from the dollar store? Saves me from having paint/glue all over the damn table! And the kids can't sneakily add glitter coz it goes all over the floor if they drop any. Easier to clean up la also.

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
Parenting hacks ah? I've got a few up my sleeve!

One thing that helps me keep my sanity is to keep a stocked emergency stash in the car - think snacks, water, and extra clothes for the little ones. You never know when you'll need to make an unexpected pitstop or have a messy situation to clean up, so it's saved me many times!

Also, for those night time diaper changes, keep a small night lamp in the baby's room. It provides just enough light to see what you're doing without hurting your eyes or waking the baby up from deep sleep. And this hack helps me get some shuteye too, which is much needed!

Oh, and here's one for mealtimes - use self-standing mesh food bags for messy foods like oranges or snacks like cereal. Easy to dispense and less mess to clean up afterwards!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
Mop the floor with a reusable cloth instead of using disposable wipes - more environmentally friendly and easier to get those sticky messes up too! Also works well for cleaning dirty marks on walls that little hands leave behind! And saving time cooking - freeze leftover homemade meals in portion sizes so you can just defrost and reheat when you're in a hurry.

53903303804_95d71d90f7_m.jpg

Yeah, I do something similar too! Those plastic mats are a real lifesaver - cheap and good. Can just chuck them away when they're really messily used up haha. Also good for outdoor picnic meals - just spread one on the ground and don't need to worry about the grass or dirt spoiling the food.

Use old cotton socks as makeshift glove puppets - the little ones love it when you put on a spontaneous puppet show! And it hardly costs a thing!

Baby powder comes in real handy when you're taking off sticky labels or stickers from toys and other stuff.

Keep a small bag of toys in the car. Real lifesaver when you gotta run errands and the lil one gets antsy.

Reactions: sunflower
Keep a stock of cheap plastic toys and treats in a ‘Treasure Box’. When you need some time to prepare dinner or attend to something else, occupy the little ones with a toy or two from the box. It’s also a great distraction when visiting the doctor or when stuck in traffic! Saves the day every time!

Having a stash of cheap plastic tablecloths is great too! They’re not too thick so they don’t feel like a waste to use once then throw, but catching all the food/mess gives the chair and floor a break from all the wiping down. And yup, freezing meals is a smart way to save time cooking plus reduce wastage - win-win!

Reactions: koala
Having a stash of cheap plastic tablecloths is great too! They’re not too thick so they don’t feel like a waste to use once then throw, but catching all the food/mess gives the chair and floor a break from all the wiping down. And yup, freezing meals is a smart way to save time cooking plus reduce wastage - win-win!
Not bad, that's a decent one! Also good to keep those cheap plastic mats below $2 from Daiso. They’re useful af for catching crumbs and mess when the kids eat. And you can just pick up the whole mat with the mess and shake it straight into the trash! No wiping or scrubbing needed lol.

Not bad, that's a decent one! Also good to keep those cheap plastic mats below $2 from Daiso. They’re useful af for catching crumbs and mess when the kids eat. And you can just pick up the whole mat with the mess and shake it straight into the trash! No wiping or scrubbing needed lol.
I agree! Those mats are a lifesaver! And they’re so affordable too. Can just keep a few in the store room and also great for picnic mat when you go outdoors. So many uses, and like you said, no cleaning needed - just shake and throw. convenience at its best!

Reactions: wisdom
So true! Those mats are a mum's best friend - practical and convenient, especially with messy eaters! Makes cleaning up a breeze.

Reactions: nature
I agree! Those mats are a lifesaver! And they’re so affordable too. Can just keep a few in the store room and also great for picnic mat when you go outdoors. So many uses, and like you said, no cleaning needed - just shake and throw. convenience at its best!
I've purchased those in bulk before as well, they're a fantastic quick fix especially for busy mums! Great that we can agree on something that's so useful and also cheap lol.

I've purchased those in bulk before as well, they're a fantastic quick fix especially for busy mums! Great that we can agree on something that's so useful and also cheap lol.
Yes, totally! They really come in handy when you have a little one who's just starting to learn how to crawl or walk. Provides a good, soft space for them to explore too!

Yes, totally! They really come in handy when you have a little one who's just starting to learn how to crawl or walk. Provides a good, soft space for them to explore too!
The foam mats are versatile; I like how they can be used for baby playtime, as a temporary pick-me-up for tired moms, or even for fitness purposes. A very useful item to have around the house!

Well, plastic mats sound like a nifty idea too! And yup, super useful for outdoor meals - a must-have for picnics! Can just shake off the excess dirt and sand before packing up. Haha, and I feel you on the glitter front; that stuff gets everywhere man!

Well, plastic mats sound like a nifty idea too! And yup, super useful for outdoor meals - a must-have for picnics! Can just shake off the excess dirt and sand before packing up. Haha, and I feel you on the glitter front; that stuff gets everywhere man!
True, the mats are super affordable and definitely handy for picnics! No need to worry about the mess or having to clean the floor later.

I like your environmentally-friendly suggestion of using reusable cloths too - less waste is always a good thing, and it's a convenient way to clean up sticky messes. And freezing meals is a great idea for busy days; saves time and effort!

Having a car kit is a super idea! It's like having your own portable convenience store. Haha. Love the night lamp tip too, doesn't hurt to have some soft glow when you're navigating through the dark during those late-night diaper changes.

And yup, those mesh bags are a godsend for containing crumbly and messy foods. Saves us parents from many a cleanup disasters!

Parenting hacks ah? I have a few up my sleeve!

One of my go-tos is keeping a 'busy bag' packed with simple toys/activities that can keep my little one entertained when we're out and about - think small toys, colouring materials, stickers, and the like. It's a lifesaver during mealtimes at restaurants or any quiet moment really!

Also, I've started keeping an oversized t-shirt in the diaper bag for those unexpected messy situations - it doubles up as a mat for baby to sit on, and it's lightweight so it's never a hassle to carry around. Better than lugging around a bulky blanket!

Parenting hacks ah? I have a few up my sleeve!

One of my go-tos is keeping a 'busy bag' packed with simple toys/activities that can keep my little one entertained when we're out and about - think small toys, colouring materials, stickers, and the like. It's a lifesaver during mealtimes at restaurants or any quiet moment really!

Also, I've started keeping an oversized t-shirt in the diaper bag for those unexpected messy situations - it doubles up as a mat for baby to sit on, and it's lightweight so it's never a hassle to carry around. Better than lugging around a bulky blanket!
Parenting got to be resourceful!

I find that keeping an oversized hoodie in the car is also a good idea. Can use it as a breastfeeding cover up or even a last-minute sunshade for the baby when needed. Hoodies also not bad - can cover messy hair after a feed haha!

Parenting got to be resourceful!

I find that keeping an oversized hoodie in the car is also a good idea. Can use it as a breastfeeding cover up or even a last-minute sunshade for the baby when needed. Hoodies also not bad - can cover messy hair after a feed haha!
Yupp, multi-use items are a parent's best friend! I find that having versatile clothing pieces like that come in handy on so many occasions. They're such simple hacks yet can be such lifesavers!

Another one of my easy life-hacks is keeping a small portable speaker in the bathroom. My older kid loves listening to his favourite tunes while taking his sweet time in the shower - and it makes cleaning up more fun too, haha!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu