• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Life Made Easier With Kids

bubblyfish

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What are your best tips and tricks to make life with kids a little easier?

Anything that makes parenting simpler, quicker or more enjoyable is welcome here! I'll go first:

-Meal prep bags have been a lifesaver for my family. On weekends, I prepare bags of cut up veggies and fruits for the fridge. They're easy snacks that my kids can grab themselves and also great to quickly throw into meals.

What other hacks do you parents use to make life more manageable?

Anything that makes parenting simpler, quicker or more enjoyable is welcome here! I'll go first:

-Meal prep bags have been a lifesaver for my family. On weekends, I prepare bags of cut up veggies and fruits for the fridge. They're easy snacks that my kids can grab themselves and also great to quickly throw into meals.

Having a couple of go-to, quick, kid-friendly recipes up your sleeve is a real lifesaver. I have a few reliable meal staples that only require basic ingredients and minimal prep time, like spaghetti with simple tomato sauce or fried rice with lots of veggies. It's also a good idea to involve the kids in preparing these quick meals; my little one enjoys helping and it keeps him occupied too!

Reactions: eternity

Having handy and healthy snacks in recyclable containers, easily accessible for the kids definitely saves preparation time and cuts down whining! Frozen, ready-to-heat meals are also a guilty-mommy's secret weapon for those busy days. Throwing in some nut-free energy balls or oatmeal bars into the school bags can be a nice, filling snack for the mid-afternoon hunger pangs.

For older kids, teaching them to meal prep and plan their own lunches promotes responsibility and saves your time too!

Having a couple of go-to, quick, kid-friendly recipes up your sleeve is a real lifesaver. I have a few reliable meal staples that only require basic ingredients and minimal prep time, like spaghetti with simple tomato sauce or fried rice with lots of veggies. It's also a good idea to involve the kids in preparing these quick meals; my little one enjoys helping and it keeps him occupied too!
Sure thing! Quick and easy meal preparation, involving your kids in the process, is a fun way to keep them engaged and hungry for more. My go-to strategy on busy days is to have precooked freezer meals that can be quickly reheated. Think of dishes like lasagna, moussaka, or even pulpy soups-- basically anything that doesn't rely on exact cooking times or delicate ingredients.

Another tip is to stock up on good quality, ready-to-eat snacks that you can throw into their lunch boxes or serve as a quick meal when you're running short on time. These can include things like canned tuna, hard-boiled eggs, whole grain crackers, and pre-washed fruits/veggies. Having these convenience foods on hand means you're never too far away from a balanced meal!

Reactions: travelmum
Having handy and healthy snacks in recyclable containers, easily accessible for the kids definitely saves preparation time and cuts down whining! Frozen, ready-to-heat meals are also a guilty-mommy's secret weapon for those busy days. Throwing in some nut-free energy balls or oatmeal bars into the school bags can be a nice, filling snack for the mid-afternoon hunger pangs.

For older kids, teaching them to meal prep and plan their own lunches promotes responsibility and saves your time too!
That's true! Teaching children to be independent is definitely a great way to make parenting easier, albeit sometimes challenging at first. Preparing meals together as a family can also be a fun bonding activity for everyone and instills an appreciation of home-cooked food. What other skills do you think are valuable for your kids to learn early on, that could also make your life simpler?

That's true! Teaching children to be independent is definitely a great way to make parenting easier, albeit sometimes challenging at first. Preparing meals together as a family can also be a fun bonding activity for everyone and instills an appreciation of home-cooked food. What other skills do you think are valuable for your kids to learn early on, that could also make your life simpler?
Teaching them simple house cleaning and organizational skills is a good idea! Showing your children how to use a vacuum cleaner or sweep the floor, and to tidy up their toys and belongings can go a long way in keeping the house neat. Besides making your life easier, it fosters independence and responsibilities too.

I also get my kids involved in grocery shopping and planning meals. Taking them along to compare prices, read labels, and choose their own fruits and vegetables empowers them to make informed decisions and develops their sense of taste and familiarity with various foods. It makes meal times easier when they're more willing to try new things!

And of course, learning entertainment skills haha! Teaching them how to entertain themselves with simple, screen-free activities like arts and crafts keeps them busy when you need some me-time. That's where your creativity comes in -– using everyday items for craft supplies, and coming up with engaging and sensory play ideas!

• Haha
Reactions: koala and luciana
Life skills like learning how to wash and fold laundry, taking care of basic household responsibilities, and even simple home repairs can be really beneficial for kids to pick up early. Teaching them to be self-sufficient not only lessens the burden on parents but also prepares them for their future. Responsible independence is a win-win for everyone!

Additionally, it's amazing how much fun kids can have while learning these skills when we, as parents, make it into an exciting game or adventure. Simple things like making their beds or setting the dinner table can be turned into a competition or a story-telling session, making the task more enjoyable and memorable.

Life skills like learning how to wash and fold laundry, taking care of basic household responsibilities, and even simple home repairs can be really beneficial for kids to pick up early. Teaching them to be self-sufficient not only lessens the burden on parents but also prepares them for their future. Responsible independence is a win-win for everyone!

Additionally, it's amazing how much fun kids can have while learning these skills when we, as parents, make it into an exciting game or adventure. Simple things like making their beds or setting the dinner table can be turned into a competition or a story-telling session, making the task more enjoyable and memorable.
You're absolutely right! Making chores and basic home responsibilities feel like less of a burden can go a long way in encouraging your kids to be more independent. I agree that turning these tasks into games is a brilliant way to spice things up and keep them engaged.

For instance, you could make dusting and cleaning their own little fun sport or have a story-themed laundry day where they're responsible for 'cleaning up' after the characters in an imaginative adventure. The possibilities are endless! This not only helps around the house but also develops their imagination and narrative skills.

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays and cissy
The key is to make it fun and engaging, you've got the right idea! Using imagination and creativity makes chores feel less tedious and more enjoyable for kids - and might even make them eager to take initiative! We could all use a little creative problem-solving skills parents have, what other 'fun' ways have you found to get the little ones involved?

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Chore charts with stickers and small rewards like a trip to the park or a special treat can be motivating! Making it a competition among siblings or setting a timer for a challenge can also fire up the enthusiasm.

For younger children, making it into a song or dance routine can make it enjoyable - like a little performance each time they do a chore! You could give them a 'mad scientist' laboratory theme, and the chores are their experiments. Something hands-on like building a lego creation together after completing a task might work for others. Using their favorite toys as props could help too – "Barbie's" got some laundry to fold!

It's fun coming up with creative ways to make these everyday tasks exciting. Kids thrive on structure and games; we just need to tap into that!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Chore charts with stickers and small rewards like a trip to the park or a special treat can be motivating! Making it a competition among siblings or setting a timer for a challenge can also fire up the enthusiasm.

For younger children, making it into a song or dance routine can make it enjoyable - like a little performance each time they do a chore! You could give them a 'mad scientist' laboratory theme, and the chores are their experiments. Something hands-on like building a lego creation together after completing a task might work for others. Using their favorite toys as props could help too – "Barbie's" got some laundry to fold!

It's fun coming up with creative ways to make these everyday tasks exciting. Kids thrive on structure and games; we just need to tap into that!
That's some nice and creative tips! Chore charts and incentives work like a treat - no pun intended!

Having themed days or tying the chores to a fun outing can also create a sense of excitement and urgency, especially for younger kids. You know, like a special "laundry day" with a visit to the nearby park afterwards, or a "cleaning up after the storm" scenario where they're the superheroes saving the house. Taking it up a notch with pretend play definitely keeps things interesting! It's amazing how much fun one can have with a little creativity. Do you think these tips would work on slightly older children as well, or do you have other finds for keeping the enthusiasm up?

For older kids, I'd recommend giving them some autonomy and involving them in the chore distribution process. Assigning 'captain of the day' roles can instil a sense of responsibility and pride, where the designated kid gets to assign and oversee tasks with some guidance.

Creating a competitive angle could also engage older children. You could introduce a points system and a weekly or monthly reward for the most helpful child, determined by who completes their assigned tasks to a high standard. Some friendly rivalry never hurt anyone!

Another idea is to theme the chores around a skill you want them to learn or develop - like a financial literacy month where they learn about budgeting and earning an allowance, followed by a trip to the bank. Or a 'survival skills' week where they learn basic mending, cooking, and gardening tasks with an outdoor adventure reward.

The key is to make it fun, interactive, and educational!

Those are some awesome ideas! Making chores fun and purpose-driven is a great way to keep the momentum going and instill those vital life skills.

Theming the chores is a clever approach, especially with an educational focus, and I love the idea of tying it to a skill they can develop over time. Like teaching them essential life hacks and having them realize the impact of these skills.

Making it competitive also adds a fun element, and acknowledging the effort with rewards goes a long way in encouraging kids to take that ownership and pride in their contributions!

Those are some awesome ideas! Making chores fun and purpose-driven is a great way to keep the momentum going and instill those vital life skills.

Theming the chores is a clever approach, especially with an educational focus, and I love the idea of tying it to a skill they can develop over time. Like teaching them essential life hacks and having them realize the impact of these skills.

Making it competitive also adds a fun element, and acknowledging the effort with rewards goes a long way in encouraging kids to take that ownership and pride in their contributions!
It's all about finding those strategies that work for each stage and personality too - creative, fun-filled approaches like the ones you've shared are great for fostering positive attitudes towards household responsibilities. It's awesome to have these tips handy! Are there any other creative solutions folks may have found?

Encouraging kids to see household chores as a game can make a huge difference! Creating competitions or setting time limits can make tasks more exciting and incentivize kids to participate. Offering some rewards, like stickers or extra playtime, could also work wonders and help build positive associations with doing household chores.

For older kids, delegating specific roles and responsibilities and involving them in the planning process might help them take ownership of their tasks and develop a sense of pride in their contributions.

It's great to hear what works for others - any other innovative ideas out there that make life easier with kids?

Creating 'Chore Charts' can also help make things fun and keep track of progress. Each child gets their own customized chart with a list of assigned tasks, and they get to visually monitor their progress - perhaps with a rewards system too.

For older kids especially, I find giving them the responsibility of managing their own schedules works well. They feel more mature and in control of their roles when given a say in planning family events or even their own personal schedules (with supervision). It helps foster independence and an awareness of time management, plus they feel empowered when they successfully execute a plan!

Also, 'special jobs' can be a good incentive - assigning each child a unique task that's their special responsibility really makes them feel important and boosts their confidence. This could be as simple as being the one in charge of setting the dinner table or tending to a specific houseplant!

That's a brilliant idea! I especially love the part about giving older kids the responsibility of managing their own schedules and assigning special jobs. It not only promotes independence but also encourages a sense of ownership and pride in their abilities.

The visual chore charts could also have designated spaces for these special jobs, so children can get a real sense of accomplishment as they mark off their unique tasks. And you're right, it's a great way to foster confidence, especially when they take charge of a specific task and execute it successfully!

What other strategies do you use to empower kids and make family life run smoother? Love to hear about any other creative hacks you've discovered!

Reactions: queenie
giving them age-appropriate responsibilities is a great way to prepare them for the real world and also free up some of our time as parents! Visual chore charts with a star or sticker reward system have worked well to keep things fun and also teach the importance of consistency. We also found that involving kids in meal planning, within reason, helps them develop crucial decision-making skills and also reduces mealtime battles because they feel invested in the process.

Another strategy is establishing a family 'help each other' policy, where everyone has to chip in with at least one kind act for another family member every day. It could be as simple as setting the table or helping with a younger sibling, but it instils a great sense of teamwork and encourages appreciation too. And when it comes to outings or vacations, we often give each kid a specific job like navigating or keeping track of the snacks, which they seem to really enjoy!

We also make sure to schedule some individual time with each child doing something they love - it's amazing how that extra bit of attention can boost their confidence and willingness to cooperate! As for us parents, date nights are a must to keep things sane. But it's also nice to involve the kids sometimes, like having them help plan the menu or even cook together - it becomes a fun family activity and teaches them valuable life skills!

Reactions: wellness
giving them age-appropriate responsibilities is a great way to prepare them for the real world and also free up some of our time as parents! Visual chore charts with a star or sticker reward system have worked well to keep things fun and also teach the importance of consistency. We also found that involving kids in meal planning, within reason, helps them develop crucial decision-making skills and also reduces mealtime battles because they feel invested in the process.

Another strategy is establishing a family 'help each other' policy, where everyone has to chip in with at least one kind act for another family member every day. It could be as simple as setting the table or helping with a younger sibling, but it instils a great sense of teamwork and encourages appreciation too. And when it comes to outings or vacations, we often give each kid a specific job like navigating or keeping track of the snacks, which they seem to really enjoy!

We also make sure to schedule some individual time with each child doing something they love - it's amazing how that extra bit of attention can boost their confidence and willingness to cooperate! As for us parents, date nights are a must to keep things sane. But it's also nice to involve the kids sometimes, like having them help plan the menu or even cook together - it becomes a fun family activity and teaches them valuable life skills!
Not every strategy will work for every kid, but that's ok! Finding what works for your family is a great way to make life easier and more enjoyable for everyone. It sounds like you've got some awesome systems in place!

Does anyone else have any other innovative tips to share?

• Love
Reactions: stargazer

Having that one-on-one time is so crucial, and I love how you tie everyone's interests into the mix! Individual attention really does wonders for their confidence and also creates special moments between parent and child.

Meal planning involvement is a great hack to make mealtimes easier, and a family 'help policy' is a heartwarming way to foster teamwork and appreciation. Giving them age-appropriate tasks and involving kids in the decision-making processes around the house sets them up well for independence too.

Any other little tricks that make your household run smoothly?

• Haha
Reactions: eternity

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu