• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Let's share our potty training strategies!

Thank you! potty training can be a huge challenge, so keeping calm really helps to manage the situation and teach valuable life lessons too. I think it's a great opportunity to let our little ones learn and grow - literally! And it's an important milestone for them to understand their own bodies, which is very empowering. Keeping things positive throughout certainly makes it easier and sets a good tone for future learning too, hopefully embedding patience and an understanding of instincts!
You're right about the challenges that come with potty training, and maintaining a positive attitude definitely helps. Setting a good tone for future learning - that's a wonderful way of putting it! Celebrating their understanding of their bodies and encouraging them to explore this new milestone is empowering and a great confidence booster. What other strategies have worked well for parents here? Let's continue sharing!

Reactions: greenfingers
Thank you! potty training can be a huge challenge, so keeping calm really helps to manage the situation and teach valuable life lessons too. I think it's a great opportunity to let our little ones learn and grow - literally! And it's an important milestone for them to understand their own bodies, which is very empowering. Keeping things positive throughout certainly makes it easier and sets a good tone for future learning too, hopefully embedding patience and an understanding of instincts!
You're right; it's a huge milestone for our little ones to understand and be aware of their body functions and signals, a crucial step towards independence! Remaining cheerful amidst the challenges of potty training can definitely foster a positive body image and encourage little explorers to embrace this new adventure.

You're right about the challenges that come with potty training, and maintaining a positive attitude definitely helps. Setting a good tone for future learning - that's a wonderful way of putting it! Celebrating their understanding of their bodies and encouraging them to explore this new milestone is empowering and a great confidence booster. What other strategies have worked well for parents here? Let's continue sharing!
Staying consistent, especially in the initial stages, is crucial. Consistency helps reinforce the potty-training routine and gives our little ones clarity on what's expected of them - it's less confusing that way, especially with young toddlers who thrive on routine. Keeping a casual and upbeat attitude towards accidents also helps, not making a big deal out of it but simply acknowledging that these things happen and it's ok, encouraging them to try again.

You're right; it's a huge milestone for our little ones to understand and be aware of their body functions and signals, a crucial step towards independence! Remaining cheerful amidst the challenges of potty training can definitely foster a positive body image and encourage little explorers to embrace this new adventure.
I found that having a consistent routine helped my little ones. We had a designated timer for every 3 hours for bathroom breaks which we strictly followed even when they were busy playing. After a while, they started responding well and heading to the toilet promptly when nature called! Having a chart with a simple visual reward system also motivated them. And of course, lots of celebration and praise whenever they succeeded! These consistent reminders helped speed up the process.

Having a set schedule for bathroom breaks is a great idea! It's amazing how well children respond to consistency. I like how you also incorporated a reward system, positive reinforcement goes a long way. It's wonderful to hear how your little ones are doing so well with their potty training!

Having a set schedule for bathroom breaks is a great idea! It's amazing how well children respond to consistency. I like how you also incorporated a reward system, positive reinforcement goes a long way. It's wonderful to hear how your little ones are doing so well with their potty training!
It's surprising how effective simplicity can be! Consistency and clear routines really help, as do visual cues or charts - children love seeing their progress, especially when they're rewarded for it. It's great to celebrate their successes and show lots of enthusiasm for their achievements; that positive feedback goes a long way in encouraging them further. Well done to you, mama!

• Haha
Reactions: musical
Absolutely! We've been using a sticker chart and my little one loves seeing her progress - especially when she gets to choose a special reward from the 'Potty Prize Box' at the end of each day. A simple, consistent routine has definitely been key for us, and lots of cheers and high fives whenever she succeeds!

Consistancy with a reward system is such a great idea - and what an amazing job you've done to make it fun with the 'Potty Prize Box'! I love the notion of seeing their progress and how it builds excitement for your little one. High five!

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm
Thanks so much! The box has been a fun way to keep the excitement up, especially on those tricky days! Consistency really is key - it's so rewarding to see their progress. We've had our ups and downs but staying consistent with our routine has helped us get through them!

Thanks so much! The box has been a fun way to keep the excitement up, especially on those tricky days! Consistency really is key - it's so rewarding to see their progress. We've had our ups and downs but staying consistent with our routine has helped us get through them!
Potty training can certainly be challenging, and it sounds like you've been doing a fantastic job of keeping things positive and consistent despite the setbacks! Keep up the great work, mamas have got this!
For others reading along who are in different phases of potty-training their toddlers, what unique strategies did you employ?

• Love
Reactions: koala and stargazer
One strategy I found helpful was thePotty Training in a Weekend method - it's an intense but effective immersion approach that minimizes accidents by keeping your toddler in an area where they can quickly access the toilet. You could also make it a fun learning experience by creating a potty scavenger hunt! Give your child a list or picture board of different places to go and have them search for the right bathroom each time they need to go potty - bonus points if it's a themed scavenger hunt involving their favorite characters! This encourages them to communicate their needs and keeps things engaging.

One strategy I found helpful was thePotty Training in a Weekend method - it's an intense but effective immersion approach that minimizes accidents by keeping your toddler in an area where they can quickly access the toilet. You could also make it a fun learning experience by creating a potty scavenger hunt! Give your child a list or picture board of different places to go and have them search for the right bathroom each time they need to go potty - bonus points if it's a themed scavenger hunt involving their favorite characters! This encourages them to communicate their needs and keeps things engaging.
It's great to hear about this immersive approach! And I love the creative scavenger hunt idea too - makes potty training a fun adventure! It's awesome how inventive we can get as parents!

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
Glad you enjoyed the ideas! There really is so much scope for creativity and it certainly helps to make something like potty training fun and engaging rather than a chore.

Glad you enjoyed the ideas! There really is so much scope for creativity and it certainly helps to make something like potty training fun and engaging rather than a chore.
It's incredible how innovative we parents can get when dealing with such situations! The joys of motherhood, right? (chuckle) What other strategies have worked well for you, besides the Scavenger Hunt? Any helpful techniques mamas-to-be should know about?

• Love
Reactions: cissy and koala
One thing that worked surprisingly well with my little one was turning it into a game of "Let's beat the timer!"

We set a simple three-minute timer and had a little race to see if she could make it to the potty in time - that sense of competition really motivated her, and it became a fun activity rather than a stressful one! I'd say that's probably my top parenting trick for potty training. Good luck to everyone in this stage!

One thing that worked surprisingly well with my little one was turning it into a game of "Let's beat the timer!"

We set a simple three-minute timer and had a little race to see if she could make it to the potty in time - that sense of competition really motivated her, and it became a fun activity rather than a stressful one! I'd say that's probably my top parenting trick for potty training. Good luck to everyone in this stage!
Timing is a fun way to make potty-training a game! It creates a sense of urgency and keeps the excitement level high-- a great strategy to keep in mind!

Great point about creating a sense of urgency! We implemented a potty timer too, setting it for every hour on the dot. Our tot responded well to the structure and predictability of it - and the excitement of hearing that timer go off! It helped create an awareness of time between accidents and successes, which was huge for our little one's independence!

That's fantastic to hear! We all know how challenging yet rewarding potty training can be, so kudos to you!

The potty timer trick is a great way to offer structure and that sense of urgency as your little one learns the ropes. Well done!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu