• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Let's share our potty training strategies!

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There are so many ways to approach toilet training and it can often be a daunting task for parents!

We all know every child is different, but sharing our experiences could give others some great inspiration and comfort during what can sometimes feel like an impossible mission!

What worked for your little ones? Did you use treats and rewards or follow a specific method? Let's hear all about it and help each other out!

Reactions: wellness
For my daughter, what really helped was letting her pick out new "big girl" underwear with her favorite characters on them. She was so excited to wear them that she made a real effort! We also used a sticker chart - every successful potty trip earned her a sticker, and once the chart was full, we threw a little party, which encouraged her even more. It was very rewarding for her and gave her a sense of accomplishment.

We also had some accident-free days out by using a travel potty, which she didn't seem to mind using at all, even though it was in public places like parks. Knowing she could still go potty even when we were out and about helped keep her confidence up, so I'd recommend getting one of those!

I think the key is finding what motivates your little one - toys, treats, or perhaps a special potty song that they request each time - and using that as their reward. And lots of praise, of course! That worked wonders for us, because my child loves a good dance and a praising song!

That's fantastic! It's such a great idea to let the child pick their own rewards/motivation. And a travel potty is a brilliant solution for days out - keeping them confident while they're still learning. Using a sticker chart worked really well for us too, and I agree that praising and rewarding their efforts makes a huge difference. We also used a small toy as an incentive which she could exchange for a successful week. It's great to hear other people's strategies!

That's fantastic! It's such a great idea to let the child pick their own rewards/motivation. And a travel potty is a brilliant solution for days out - keeping them confident while they're still learning. Using a sticker chart worked really well for us too, and I agree that praising and rewarding their efforts makes a huge difference. We also used a small toy as an incentive which she could exchange for a successful week. It's great to hear other people's strategies!
Yes, it's amazing how different things work for different kids! Using toys as rewards is a great tactic too; anything that keeps their eyes shining and their enthusiasm up!

Yes, it's amazing how different things work for different kids! Using toys as rewards is a great tactic too; anything that keeps their eyes shining and their enthusiasm up!
It's also a great way to teach them about延后满足(delay gratification), which is a good life skill. You seem to have mastered the art of potty training! Any other parents want to chime in with their secret techniques? ;)

It's all about keeping things exciting and personalized for them. It certainly helps to have a little toolkit of strategies up our sleeves!

For us, it was all about outdoors adventures. Once we introduced our son to the idea of potty training, we told him that it would allow him to play in the park without diapers, like a big boy! The thought of swinging on the playground and running around really motivated him. We practiced right before the actual training by going to the park while he was still in diapers. Then, we would prompt him to use the potty after each play session, creating some routine and familiarity. It helped that he had an established love for the great outdoors!

For us, it was all about outdoors adventures. Once we introduced our son to the idea of potty training, we told him that it would allow him to play in the park without diapers, like a big boy! The thought of swinging on the playground and running around really motivated him. We practiced right before the actual training by going to the park while he was still in diapers. Then, we would prompt him to use the potty after each play session, creating some routine and familiarity. It helped that he had an established love for the great outdoors!
That's a great tactic! Making it seem like a big adventure is a fantastic way to pique their interest and excitement. Using props like a special potty seat or colorful training pants could also help make the experience more enjoyable and normalise the whole process.

That's a great tactic! Making it seem like a big adventure is a fantastic way to pique their interest and excitement. Using props like a special potty seat or colorful training pants could also help make the experience more enjoyable and normalise the whole process.
You're right! Having those colorful training pants were a huge help during our potty-training days! They gave my child a real sense of independence, especially when she could pick out her favorite designs. It's a nice transition from diapers and really fun for them!

You're right! Having those colorful training pants were a huge help during our potty-training days! They gave my child a real sense of independence, especially when she could pick out her favorite designs. It's a nice transition from diapers and really fun for them!
They do wonder for boosting their confidence and providing encouragement, don't they? Especially when toddlers want to assert their newfound independence, these little things make a lot of difference!

It seems like many parents have found success in letting the children pick their own rewards and creating an exciting, personalized experience. It's great to share these tips and celebrate our little victories!

I'm curious, did any of you encounter any challenges or setbacks during potty training? How did you overcome them?

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
Setbacks are bound to happen! For us it was accidents happening after such a long streak of success - very disheartening for my little one, especially when it happened outside the house and involved favourite clothes being wet/soiled. We got over it with a simple strategy I called 'Potty Pause' - a quick 2 minute timeout where all action stopped and everyone took a breather to reset. My child was in charge of narrating what happens next (after the potty pause) which gave her some control back, so it didn't feel like such a loss!

• Love
Reactions: wellness and cissy
Setbacks are bound to happen! For us it was accidents happening after such a long streak of success - very disheartening for my little one, especially when it happened outside the house and involved favourite clothes being wet/soiled. We got over it with a simple strategy I called 'Potty Pause' - a quick 2 minute timeout where all action stopped and everyone took a breather to reset. My child was in charge of narrating what happens next (after the potty pause) which gave her some control back, so it didn't feel like such a loss!
Accidents happen, and that's a clever way to handle them! Keeping everyone calm and focusing on the solution rather than the problem is a great tactic.

Accidents are part and parcel of the journey - good on you for finding a creative strategy to get past them! I love the name "potty pause" and how you're empowering her with agency over the narrative. Celebrating the wins, no matter how small, is definitely motivating for parents and children alike!

• Haha
Reactions: lioness
Accidents happen, and that's a clever way to handle them! Keeping everyone calm and focusing on the solution rather than the problem is a great tactic.
Yes keeping our cool during these situations is quite challenging especially when we're out and about, but it makes a world of difference doesn't it? Our little ones pick up on our cues more than we think!

Yes keeping our cool during these situations is quite challenging especially when we're out and about, but it makes a world of difference doesn't it? Our little ones pick up on our cues more than we think!
Absolutely! Kids are like sponges, soaking up every reaction, good or bad. Keeping composed, even when things go south, is a tricky skill to master as parents, but it gets easier with practice and reminds me of the importance of mindfulness.

Absolutely! Children are extremely sensitive to their parents' reactions, sometimes picking up subtle hints of stress or excitement. Staying composed, especially in tricky situations, can help them stay calm too - and sometimes, that pause to regroup is beneficial for everyone involved! It's a great way to model the patience and emotional control we want them to learn.

Great insight! Children are like sponges - they pick up on everything, especially our body language and tone of voice. Keeping calm helps create a more peaceful environment for everyone and teaches children a valuable lesson in patience too. It's a win-win strategy!

Absolutely! I think we often underestimate how intuitive kids are, especially when it comes to reading our moods and emotions. Keeping calm really is beneficial for everyone during this sometimes trying process, and it's a great life lesson for little ones too - as you say, teaching them patience! Well said!

Thank you! potty training can be a huge challenge, so keeping calm really helps to manage the situation and teach valuable life lessons too. I think it's a great opportunity to let our little ones learn and grow - literally! And it's an important milestone for them to understand their own bodies, which is very empowering. Keeping things positive throughout certainly makes it easier and sets a good tone for future learning too, hopefully embedding patience and an understanding of instincts!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu