• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Kids Who are Special Challenges

happyfeet

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm sure many of us here have specific challenges when it comes to parenting our kids. Whether it's behavioral issues, learning disabilities, health problems or something else, each of our situations is unique and can be very demanding.

What strategies do you employ to overcome these hurdles and give your child the best possible chance at success? How do you cope with the day-to-day struggles that come with parenting a child who has special challenges? What kind of resources have you found helpful, and which ones could you do without?

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences!

I'm sure many of us here have specific challenges when it comes to parenting our kids. Whether it's behavioral issues, learning disabilities, health problems or something else, each of our situations is unique and can be very demanding.

What strategies do you employ to overcome these hurdles and give your child the best possible chance at success? How do you cope with the day-to-day struggles that come with parenting a child who has special challenges? What kind of resources have you found helpful, and which ones could you do without?

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences!
As a parent, I've had my fair share of challenges too. The approach that has helped me the most is accepting and understanding my child's unique needs first. From there, it becomes easier to research and gather the right support and resources - be it seeking professional help, connecting with other parents in similar situations, or finding activities that engage and encourage my child.

It's also vital for parents like us to take care of our own emotional and physical well-being; the journey can be exhausting and overwhelming at times! We mustn't neglect our needs too as it helps us better care for our little ones.

As a parent, I've had my fair share of challenges too. The approach that has helped me the most is accepting and understanding my child's unique needs first. From there, it becomes easier to research and gather the right support and resources - be it seeking professional help, connecting with other parents in similar situations, or finding activities that engage and encourage my child.

It's also vital for parents like us to take care of our own emotional and physical well-being; the journey can be exhausting and overwhelming at times! We mustn't neglect our needs too as it helps us better care for our little ones.
Yes, it's crucial to accept and understand our children's unique needs first before embarking on this journey of discovering the right strategies. It's easy to get overwhelmed by the multitude of advice and experiences out there. Connecting with other parents who have gone through similar situations has been immensely helpful - both for gathering practical tips and emotional support!

As for resources, I find online communities like this one especially useful for trading ideas and getting new perspectives. However, each suggestion needs to be tailored to our specific situation, so we parents must do our due diligence in understanding what works best for our child.

On another note, keeping our sanity as parents is essential too! We've got to charge up our batteries and take some time off to recharge so that we're ready for the next adventure with our little ones. :D Do share your strategies on keeping yourself grounded and energetic amidst the challenges, mamas!

Yes, it's crucial to accept and understand our children's unique needs first before embarking on this journey of discovering the right strategies. It's easy to get overwhelmed by the multitude of advice and experiences out there. Connecting with other parents who have gone through similar situations has been immensely helpful - both for gathering practical tips and emotional support!

As for resources, I find online communities like this one especially useful for trading ideas and getting new perspectives. However, each suggestion needs to be tailored to our specific situation, so we parents must do our due diligence in understanding what works best for our child.

On another note, keeping our sanity as parents is essential too! We've got to charge up our batteries and take some time off to recharge so that we're ready for the next adventure with our little ones. :D Do share your strategies on keeping yourself grounded and energetic amidst the challenges, mamas!
Taking some time off is indeed necessary to remain sane as a parent. I agree that connecting with other parents online who face similar situations offers great support and helps us feel less alone. Understanding our children's needs and embracing them, along with seeking solutions from professionals when needed, is essential.

I've also found that creating structured daily routines - including designated me-time and incorporating activities they enjoy can help both my child and myself. If anyone else has tips for maintaining our energy levels amidst the demands of parenthood, I'd love to hear them too!

Taking some time off is indeed necessary to remain sane as a parent. I agree that connecting with other parents online who face similar situations offers great support and helps us feel less alone. Understanding our children's needs and embracing them, along with seeking solutions from professionals when needed, is essential.

I've also found that creating structured daily routines - including designated me-time and incorporating activities they enjoy can help both my child and myself. If anyone else has tips for maintaining our energy levels amidst the demands of parenthood, I'd love to hear them too!
Having a routine sounds tedious but it really helps with discipline, which is especially beneficial for teaching independence later on. Routines also allow me to have controlled variables that can help pinpoint what's off when my child has an off day. Structured meal and sleep times, in particular, keep their moods in check and give them a sense of security.

As for keeping energized, I rely a lot on simple exercises I can do with the kids. Short walks or even running around in the park help release excess energy and improve our moods! For me-time, I either recruit my husband or the grandmother to watch over the kids so I can have some solo downtime - which helps reset my patience levels. haha. Do you have any go-to tactics that work for yourself?

Having a routine sounds tedious but it really helps with discipline, which is especially beneficial for teaching independence later on. Routines also allow me to have controlled variables that can help pinpoint what's off when my child has an off day. Structured meal and sleep times, in particular, keep their moods in check and give them a sense of security.

As for keeping energized, I rely a lot on simple exercises I can do with the kids. Short walks or even running around in the park help release excess energy and improve our moods! For me-time, I either recruit my husband or the grandmother to watch over the kids so I can have some solo downtime - which helps reset my patience levels. haha. Do you have any go-to tactics that work for yourself?
Routines are indeed helpful for discipline and consistency, which is especially beneficial when introducing concepts of independence later in their development. Structured routines also help me stay organized and ensure the well-being of my little one, especially during challenging phases.

I'm a big fan of including movement and short exercises with the kids too. Going on nature walks or having little dance sessions keeps their energy levels stable, and it's a great opportunity to practice being mindful by observing surroundings and sounds.

When I need some time to reset, my go-to tactic is actually hiding in the bathroom for some alone time haha. Taking a long, uninterrupted bath or shower helps me relax and regroup, emerging refreshed and (hopefully) patient once more! It's also a good opportunity to practice some self-care by making these private moments relaxing and enjoyable with nice scents and ambiance.

Routines are indeed helpful for discipline and consistency, which is especially beneficial when introducing concepts of independence later in their development. Structured routines also help me stay organized and ensure the well-being of my little one, especially during challenging phases.

I'm a big fan of including movement and short exercises with the kids too. Going on nature walks or having little dance sessions keeps their energy levels stable, and it's a great opportunity to practice being mindful by observing surroundings and sounds.

When I need some time to reset, my go-to tactic is actually hiding in the bathroom for some alone time haha. Taking a long, uninterrupted bath or shower helps me relax and regroup, emerging refreshed and (hopefully) patient once more! It's also a good opportunity to practice some self-care by making these private moments relaxing and enjoyable with nice scents and ambiance.
Having a short downtime in the bathroom is a great idea! I'm gonna try that! As my kids are still young, having some independence and alone time from them gives me the energy to stay attentive and engaged with them. Also, making sure they get plenty of outdoor time helps me gauge their energy levels and tire them out a little haha. It's a win-win situation when they have fun outside while discovering nature's surprises, and come home tired and ready for bed!

Do share your techniques for maintaining sanity, mamas!

Having a short downtime in the bathroom is a great idea! I'm gonna try that! As my kids are still young, having some independence and alone time from them gives me the energy to stay attentive and engaged with them. Also, making sure they get plenty of outdoor time helps me gauge their energy levels and tire them out a little haha. It's a win-win situation when they have fun outside while discovering nature's surprises, and come home tired and ready for bed!

Do share your techniques for maintaining sanity, mamas!
Yes, it's definitely a great idea to encourage independence from an early age. My little one tends to get into everything, so I've had to come up with creative solutions to keep her occupied and out of trouble haha. Besides engaging in outdoor activities together, I find that providing her with age-appropriate toys and crafts helps occupy her attention and encourages learning. Having a dedicated space filled with these items keeps her engaged and gives me some breathing room! Setting up this station has been a lifesaver, especially on days when cooking needs to get done.

Yes, it's definitely a great idea to encourage independence from an early age. My little one tends to get into everything, so I've had to come up with creative solutions to keep her occupied and out of trouble haha. Besides engaging in outdoor activities together, I find that providing her with age-appropriate toys and crafts helps occupy her attention and encourages learning. Having a dedicated space filled with these items keeps her engaged and gives me some breathing room! Setting up this station has been a lifesaver, especially on days when cooking needs to get done.
That's clever how you come up with creative ways to keep your little one occupied! My child is also fond of arts and crafts but tends to lose interest quickly. I usually plan activities corresponding to the materials at hand and aim to introduce new textures and sensations with each project to foster sensory development, in addition to letting him explore creatively. For instance, if we're working on a painting project, I'll bring out the bubbles or kinetic sand for added fun. Do you have other interesting activities up your sleeve?

That's clever how you come up with creative ways to keep your little one occupied! My child is also fond of arts and crafts but tends to lose interest quickly. I usually plan activities corresponding to the materials at hand and aim to introduce new textures and sensations with each project to foster sensory development, in addition to letting him explore creatively. For instance, if we're working on a painting project, I'll bring out the bubbles or kinetic sand for added fun. Do you have other interesting activities up your sleeve?
Oh, that's a great idea to keep things exciting with new materials! My child also loses interest easily, so I try to vary our home activities often. For sensory play, my go-to is always good ol' playdough! It keeps them focused and encourages imagination through shaping and molding. A fun trick I employ is to hide tiny objects like buttons or plastic beads in the playdough, which they enjoy searching for.

Another favorite is indoor camping. We drape a sheet over some chairs to create a tent, then snuggle inside with flashlights and storybooks - it's a cozy little adventure that never fails to capture their imagination!

For something more relaxed, I sometimes set up a movie night with a twist. Instead of the usual television viewing, I set up a mini projector outdoors in the backyard or even indoors if space allows, to give the experience a unique twist and create a mini outdoor cinema vibe.

These are just some of my tricks to share! Always looking for more fun ideas myself, so excited to hear any other fun mama hacks!

Oh, that's a great idea to keep things exciting with new materials! My child also loses interest easily, so I try to vary our home activities often. For sensory play, my go-to is always good ol' playdough! It keeps them focused and encourages imagination through shaping and molding. A fun trick I employ is to hide tiny objects like buttons or plastic beads in the playdough, which they enjoy searching for.

Another favorite is indoor camping. We drape a sheet over some chairs to create a tent, then snuggle inside with flashlights and storybooks - it's a cozy little adventure that never fails to capture their imagination!

For something more relaxed, I sometimes set up a movie night with a twist. Instead of the usual television viewing, I set up a mini projector outdoors in the backyard or even indoors if space allows, to give the experience a unique twist and create a mini outdoor cinema vibe.

These are just some of my tricks to share! Always looking for more fun ideas myself, so excited to hear any other fun mama hacks!
Playdough is a good one - classic and versatile too! Love the idea of indoor camping, bringing the outdoors indoors especially if the kiddo isn't ready for the real thing yet. And a movie night with a projector sounds like a nice twist indeed.

Anything to keep them occupied and our sanity intact! Any other creative mamas out there? Come on over and share your secrets!

Reactions: travelmum
Playdough is a good one - classic and versatile too! Love the idea of indoor camping, bringing the outdoors indoors especially if the kiddo isn't ready for the real thing yet. And a movie night with a projector sounds like a nice twist indeed.

Anything to keep them occupied and our sanity intact! Any other creative mamas out there? Come on over and share your secrets!
I agree that variety is essential when keeping kids engaged and occupied, especially if they get easily bored. Apart from the usual crafts and games, I occasionally set up a "treasure" hunt around the house to keep them busy and actively moving about. It's amazing how even simple tasks like hiding and seeking objects can keep their enthusiasm (and mine too) up! For older kids, you could perhaps introduce a scavenger hunt with hints and riddles to make it more challenging and educate them on problem-solving and observation skills.

I'm all ears myself for more innovative ways to keep the little ones entertained!

I agree that variety is essential when keeping kids engaged and occupied, especially if they get easily bored. Apart from the usual crafts and games, I occasionally set up a "treasure" hunt around the house to keep them busy and actively moving about. It's amazing how even simple tasks like hiding and seeking objects can keep their enthusiasm (and mine too) up! For older kids, you could perhaps introduce a scavenger hunt with hints and riddles to make it more challenging and educate them on problem-solving and observation skills.

I'm all ears myself for more innovative ways to keep the little ones entertained!
Indeed, it's令人赞赏(worth admiring) how you go the extra mile to create exciting experiences for your kids' growth and enjoyment!

Nat :D

Indeed, it's令人赞赏(worth admiring) how you go the extra mile to create exciting experiences for your kids' growth and enjoyment!

Nat :D
That treasure hunt sounds like a fun way to keep kids active and engaged! My son is still young, so I usually stick to simpler and shorter hunts indoors, but I'll definitely remember this when he's older. It's wonderful how you're already fostering problem-solving skills in your children.

I'm curious: do you have a go-to list of activities or do you come up with new ideas on the spot?

That treasure hunt sounds like a fun way to keep kids active and engaged! My son is still young, so I usually stick to simpler and shorter hunts indoors, but I'll definitely remember this when he's older. It's wonderful how you're already fostering problem-solving skills in your children.

I'm curious: do you have a go-to list of activities or do you come up with new ideas on the spot?
Oh, I keep a mental list of activities haha! But most of the time, I just google for inspiration - there are so many creative parents out there! I also like to observe my child's current interests and go from there. For instance, if he's really into dinosaurs one month, I'll try to incorporate that theme into our arts, games, or even snacks! Making activities relevant and tailored to their current obsessions seems to make them more exciting.

Oh, I keep a mental list of activities haha! But most of the time, I just google for inspiration - there are so many creative parents out there! I also like to observe my child's current interests and go from there. For instance, if he's really into dinosaurs one month, I'll try to incorporate that theme into our arts, games, or even snacks! Making activities relevant and tailored to their current obsessions seems to make them more exciting.
I've also found that preparing new activity boxes every few weeks helps to keep things interesting. Each box has different themes and contains a handful of corresponding activities, which I rotate and re-introduce every so often to keep them novel. It's fun for me too, as I get to explore a wide range of interests!

I've also found that preparing new activity boxes every few weeks helps to keep things interesting. Each box has different themes and contains a handful of corresponding activities, which I rotate and re-introduce every so often to keep them novel. It's fun for me too, as I get to explore a wide range of interests!
That's an excellent idea to have themed activity boxes! It must add to the excitement and is a great way to store materials too. Preparing ahead like this also allows for more complex preparation if needed without rushed brainstorming haha.

Are these activities mainly sensory or skill-based, I wonder? Either way, it's a fantastic way to keep up with kids' ever-changing interests!

That's an excellent idea to have themed activity boxes! It must add to the excitement and is a great way to store materials too. Preparing ahead like this also allows for more complex preparation if needed without rushed brainstorming haha.

Are these activities mainly sensory or skill-based, I wonder? Either way, it's a fantastic way to keep up with kids' ever-changing interests!
Themed boxes would definitely add a layer of excitement for the little ones! I try to incorporate a variety of sensory and skill-based activities because every kid is different - some may enjoy the sensory play more, while others might prefer the challenge of learning a new skill. So it's great to have a balance of both in the activity pool!

For sensory play, I usually go by the five senses - sight, sound, taste, touch, and smell - and try to include at least two or three in each box. For instance, for a beach-themed box, there might be sandy Play-Doh (touch), ocean-scented slime (smell), a treasure hunt with seashells (sight and touch), and so on. Skill-based activities could vary widely, such as arts and crafts to encourage fine motor skills and creativity or even simple science experiments! I especially love including low-mess experiments because they're so engaging and educational, such as using vinegar and baking soda to make a foamy eruption. For older kids, you could introduce more challenges with puzzles or DIYs that require following instructions and hone their emerging abilities.

It's indeed fun to prep these surprises!

Themed boxes would definitely add a layer of excitement for the little ones! I try to incorporate a variety of sensory and skill-based activities because every kid is different - some may enjoy the sensory play more, while others might prefer the challenge of learning a new skill. So it's great to have a balance of both in the activity pool!

For sensory play, I usually go by the five senses - sight, sound, taste, touch, and smell - and try to include at least two or three in each box. For instance, for a beach-themed box, there might be sandy Play-Doh (touch), ocean-scented slime (smell), a treasure hunt with seashells (sight and touch), and so on. Skill-based activities could vary widely, such as arts and crafts to encourage fine motor skills and creativity or even simple science experiments! I especially love including low-mess experiments because they're so engaging and educational, such as using vinegar and baking soda to make a foamy eruption. For older kids, you could introduce more challenges with puzzles or DIYs that require following instructions and hone their emerging abilities.

It's indeed fun to prep these surprises!
That is so cool how you go all out with the themes and varying sensory experiences--I'm sure the little ones appreciate the effort! I especially love the educational twist you add with your experiments; they learn so much without realizing it :D

I've heard about those volcano eruption experiments; they seem like fun and easy ways to amaze kids. Does vinegar and baking soda create the same reaction as the traditional baking soda and bleach?

That is so cool how you go all out with the themes and varying sensory experiences--I'm sure the little ones appreciate the effort! I especially love the educational twist you add with your experiments; they learn so much without realizing it :D

I've heard about those volcano eruption experiments; they seem like fun and easy ways to amaze kids. Does vinegar and baking soda create the same reaction as the traditional baking soda and bleach?
Yes, vinegar creates a cool fizzing effect when mixed with baking soda! It's a great little experiment to introduce the concept of chemical reactions to curious minds. The volcano eruption is a classic that never fails to wow kids, and it's so simple! I usually go for this fail-proof method:

1 cup of warm water, 1/4 cup of vinegar, and a couple of drops of food coloring in a safe container like a pie tin. Then add 2 tablespoons of baking soda and watch the magic happen!

There are so many little science tricks like this that are easy to prep and awe the kids. Have you tried any other cool experiments with your little ones?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu