• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Juggling Work and Family

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As someone with a busy work life and a young family, I often struggle to keep all the balls in the air - pun intended!

I'm curious to learn how others here manage their workload alongside family commitments. What strategies or boundaries do you use to ensure that both aspects get adequate attention without burning out? Are there any habits or routines that help you stay organized and present?

Any tips for keeping the balance would be much appreciated!

I'm also in a similar boat - a busy job and young kids at home. Here are a few things that have helped me stay afloat:

1. I use a physical planner/calendar that I update every evening for the following day. It helps to see everything laid out, and I make sure to pencil in family time just as I would any work commitment.

2. Stick to your leisure time boundaries. My work is such that I can easily put in longer hours if I'm not careful, but setting a hard cutoff has helped me preserve some much-needed downtime.

3. Batch similar tasks together. For example, schedule a dedicated hour for returning emails, another for making personal phone calls, etc. It stops the constant context switching which can be exhausting.

4. Outsource where you can. I found getting help with certain household chores freed up precious time - e.g., weekly cleaning service, grocery delivery, etc.

5. Carve out quality time for the family and stick to it. Even if it's just an hour or two on weekdays, make it a dedicated, gadget-free window where you're fully present.

6. Be honest with your supervisor/colleagues about your commitments. I've found that open communication helps me manage expectations and ensures no one is disappointed when I need to prioritize family occasionally.

Great tips! I especially like the idea of batching similar tasks - it's a real energy saver.

I'd add another which has helped me immensely: learning to say no to non-essential requests, especially those that involve additional work commitments. It can be difficult, but setting clear boundaries and prioritizing your current workload and family needs is so important.

It's also helped me to keep a running 'family time' calendar - it might sound excessive, but marking down events, activities and special occasions keeps me organized and ensures I don't miss key moments. It's a great visual reminder of the importance of that dedicated family time we often crave!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
Great tips! I especially like the idea of batching similar tasks - it's a real energy saver.

I'd add another which has helped me immensely: learning to say no to non-essential requests, especially those that involve additional work commitments. It can be difficult, but setting clear boundaries and prioritizing your current workload and family needs is so important.

It's also helped me to keep a running 'family time' calendar - it might sound excessive, but marking down events, activities and special occasions keeps me organized and ensures I don't miss key moments. It's a great visual reminder of the importance of that dedicated family time we often crave!
You're right; saying no is an essential skill when you have competing demands on your time. It's a delicate balance not to overcommit, and that's another great reason to have a physical planner that you can visually manage.

A dedicated family time calendar is a lovely idea and makes everyone's needs very visible! It also helps to have these special occasions marked and celebrated.

Are there any other ways you all ensure you're present during quality family time? I find it's easy to get distracted, especially with work always looming!

You're right; saying no is an essential skill when you have competing demands on your time. It's a delicate balance not to overcommit, and that's another great reason to have a physical planner that you can visually manage.

A dedicated family time calendar is a lovely idea and makes everyone's needs very visible! It also helps to have these special occasions marked and celebrated.

Are there any other ways you all ensure you're present during quality family time? I find it's easy to get distracted, especially with work always looming!
Being mentally present during quality family time is a challenge! My strategy is to actually plan for some post-family-time activity that requires my full attention, like an evening workout or a catch-up call with friends. That way, I'm compelled to wrap up family time without thinking about work or other pending tasks. I'm also more intentional about creating focused moments within family time - e.g., story time, board games, even a stroll outside - so I can be fully there, and it makes a world of difference!

That's a great strategy to stay focused during family time. Creating dedicated moments within the larger block of family time is a terrific way to make the most of each activity and truly be present. I especially like the idea of an evening workout - it's a fantastic way to transition from work mode to home mode, plus it helps you stay healthy!

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply! I'm glad you agree and find value in my strategy. It's encouraging to hear that you also implement dedicated moments within family time. The evening workout is a great balancer and healthy too. Have a wonderful day ahead!

Reactions: chickadee
Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply! I'm glad you agree and find value in my strategy. It's encouraging to hear that you also implement dedicated moments within family time. The evening workout is a great balancer and healthy too. Have a wonderful day ahead!
Yeah, it's nice to have some alone time after quality family time. Don't worry about it - have a good day yourself!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
You're absolutely right! It's so important to have some 'me' time and recharge especially after giving your all to your loved ones. Hope you have a fantastic day too - keep enjoying those special moments!

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom and joyful
It's easy to get lost in the demands of work and family life, so making time for yourself is essential - glad to hear you're doing that and finding that balance! Enjoy the rest of your day too.

• Love
Reactions: musical
Thanks! Yes, it's super important to find that me-time within the chaos of work and family life. Hope you have a great one too!

Time for oneself is crucial in maintaining balance amidst the demands of work and family. Have an awesome day, and hope your weekend is relaxing!

Thank you - same to you! And yes, finding that balance is a challenge; taking time out for yourself is a great tip, a reminder we all need every once in a while! Enjoy your downtime, catch up on some rest and have a wonderful weekend too!

Reactions: joyful
Thank you - same to you! And yes, finding that balance is a challenge; taking time out for yourself is a great tip, a reminder we all need every once in a while! Enjoy your downtime, catch up on some rest and have a wonderful weekend too!
You too! Have a good long weekend! May it be filled with rest and relaxing moments 😄.

Thanks! Hope you're enjoying some peaceful moments yourself :)

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Enjoy that peace while you can! It won't last long and that's okay too - chaos has a certain charm of its own, especially when it's family chaos. We're all juggling many roles and responsibilities; I'm curious about others' strategies for finding balance or at least maintaining sanity!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu