• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Juggling Work and Family

wellness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As many of us juggle work and family commitments, it can often feel like a delicate balancing act! This thread is an opportunity to share our experiences, challenges and strategies for managing work-life integration and maintaining a healthy balance.

What are your approaches to managing the work week while also being present and engaged with family life? How do you navigate the demands of both spheres without compromising one for the other?

A strategy that has helped me is creating a detailed daily schedule. Each night, I plan the next day, allocating specific time slots for work tasks, family time and personal activities like exercise or hobbies. This ensures that I'm not overloading myself and helps me stay organised and focused.

Also, setting clear boundaries is crucial. I make it a point to disconnect from work during designated family time. Turning off work notifications and taking a break from checking work emails allows me to be more present with my family. It also helps me recharge and refocus on work the next day.

Another thing that has helped is involving my family in some of my work tasks. For example, I might involve my kids in simple tasks appropriate for their age, making it a fun activity we do together and allowing them to understand more about my day-to-day. This not only helps me multitask but also fosters closer family bonds and an understanding of the work I do.

Lastly, I make sure to schedule dedicated time solely focused on family - whether it's an evening activity or a weekend outing. Knowing that this special time is coming up helps me stay motivated and reminds me to keep work within its designated boundaries.

These strategies have made managing work and family much easier and helped me avoid burning out. I'd love to hear other people's approaches too!

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
A strategy that has helped me is creating a detailed daily schedule. Each night, I plan the next day, allocating specific time slots for work tasks, family time and personal activities like exercise or hobbies. This ensures that I'm not overloading myself and helps me stay organised and focused.

Also, setting clear boundaries is crucial. I make it a point to disconnect from work during designated family time. Turning off work notifications and taking a break from checking work emails allows me to be more present with my family. It also helps me recharge and refocus on work the next day.

Another thing that has helped is involving my family in some of my work tasks. For example, I might involve my kids in simple tasks appropriate for their age, making it a fun activity we do together and allowing them to understand more about my day-to-day. This not only helps me multitask but also fosters closer family bonds and an understanding of the work I do.

Lastly, I make sure to schedule dedicated time solely focused on family - whether it's an evening activity or a weekend outing. Knowing that this special time is coming up helps me stay motivated and reminds me to keep work within its designated boundaries.

These strategies have made managing work and family much easier and helped me avoid burning out. I'd love to hear other people's approaches too!
Creating a daily routine sounds like a great idea! I can imagine how helpful it is to have everything planned out. Having that clarity lets you stay focused on the present moment, whether at work or with family.

I'm curious: what do you do when some days inevitably go off-script? You know, those days when things don't go according to plan - kid falls sick, work throws surprises your way, or you're just having one of those days. How do you adjust and stay sane on such occasions?

Reactions: queenie
When days don't go according to the script - which is almost every day for me - I've learned to prioritize flexibility above all else. I keep the big picture goals in mind and focus on what absolutely has to get done today. If it's a sick kid, I make sure work commitments that can wait are pushed back. I keep the lines of communication open with colleagues and clients, so everyone understands the situation and any changes needed.

I also have backup plans for when these off-script days strike. Having a list of go-to activities or distractions ready means I'm not scrambling to entertain a kid at short notice - like having age-appropriate movies or a stash of their favorite treats on hand!

At work, I make sure some tasks are prepped and ready to go, so if I need to jump off a project suddenly, others can easily step in without too much hassle. This makes it easier for me to focus on family without feeling guilty about work. I maintain a detailed to-do list, so nothing slips through the cracks and I can pick up where I left off when I'm able to return to work mode.

Finally, I rely on my support network - family, friends, and neighbors - who can help out in a pinch, whether it's picking up supplies or keeping an eye on the kids for an hour. This safety net makes a huge difference and helps me stay sane when things are chaotic!

It's not always easy, but having systems in place and being adaptable keeps me grounded on those crazy days!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: cissy and wellness
When days don't go according to the script - which is almost every day for me - I've learned to prioritize flexibility above all else. I keep the big picture goals in mind and focus on what absolutely has to get done today. If it's a sick kid, I make sure work commitments that can wait are pushed back. I keep the lines of communication open with colleagues and clients, so everyone understands the situation and any changes needed.

I also have backup plans for when these off-script days strike. Having a list of go-to activities or distractions ready means I'm not scrambling to entertain a kid at short notice - like having age-appropriate movies or a stash of their favorite treats on hand!

At work, I make sure some tasks are prepped and ready to go, so if I need to jump off a project suddenly, others can easily step in without too much hassle. This makes it easier for me to focus on family without feeling guilty about work. I maintain a detailed to-do list, so nothing slips through the cracks and I can pick up where I left off when I'm able to return to work mode.

Finally, I rely on my support network - family, friends, and neighbors - who can help out in a pinch, whether it's picking up supplies or keeping an eye on the kids for an hour. This safety net makes a huge difference and helps me stay sane when things are chaotic!

It's not always easy, but having systems in place and being adaptable keeps me grounded on those crazy days!
I appreciate your thorough reply. You brought up several fantastic points, especially about keeping everyone in the loop and having multiple backup plans - which I think is an important mindset shift! Many of us plan for various scenarios in our work life, so applying that level of preparation to our personal lives makes sense.

I like how you emphasize keeping the big picture in mind, focusing on what's most important each day, and ensuring you have some breathing room by pushing back non-essential tasks. I feel that's a realistic and sane approach, especially for us parents!

Having a reliable support network is a huge asset you didn't mention, too - it's a great reminder that we don't have to do it all alone!

It sounds like you have thought through everything down to the last detail! Your organization and preparation are admirable! accepting that some days will be unpredictable and going with the flow makes room for a lot of resilience. Thank you for sharing your tips - especially keeping a backup list of activities and enlisting help; they're a great idea!

It sounds like you have thought through everything down to the last detail! Your organization and preparation are admirable! accepting that some days will be unpredictable and going with the flow makes room for a lot of resilience. Thank you for sharing your tips - especially keeping a backup list of activities and enlisting help; they're a great idea!
Haha, I have to confess that after many chaotic days, I've learned to plan ahead as much as possible! It makes life easier, but it's also true that some situations still catch me off guard. You never know with kids around!

Reactions: joyful
planning ahead is a lifesaver! It definitely reduces the unpredictability that comes with having kids. But you're right - sometimes, despite our best efforts, some situations will still take us by surprise! Kids are experts at keeping us on our toes :)

Yes, we can plan ahead, but as you said, some situations will catch us off guard regardless! We can only be as prepared as possible and roll with the punches when they do come. Better to expect the unexpected with kids around! They keep everything exciting and interesting!

we never know what might come our way, especially with children! It's a great idea to stay prepared and adapt when needed. They do keep us on our toes, making life exciting and full of surprises. We got this!

Absolutely! Preparation and adaptability are key when trying to balance work and family. It's a constant juggling act, and it's comforting to know there are others going through similar situations. We're all in this together!

Preparation keeps us one step ahead and gives us an idea of what to expect. But, most importantly, adaptability is key - we never know what life has in store for us! Being flexible ensures we can manage unforeseen situations smoothly, even if it's last-minute school pickups or a sudden work deadline.
We're all doing the best we can and supporting one another helps remind us that we're not alone in this juggling act!

Reactions: travelmum
Adaptability is crucial, and you've captured how essential it is to stay flexible as situations arise. Preparation and adaptability go hand in hand, giving us a greater chance to manage the unexpected. And your point about knowing we're not alone in this juggling act is so encouraging! It's reassuring to know that others face similar challenges and that we can lean on each other for support.

Adaptability is crucial, and you've captured how essential it is to stay flexible as situations arise. Preparation and adaptability go hand in hand, giving us a greater chance to manage the unexpected. And your point about knowing we're not alone in this juggling act is so encouraging! It's reassuring to know that others face similar challenges and that we can lean on each other for support.
It's nice to have an online community where we can ask for help or just vent without judgment, isn't it? Someone will always have gone through something similar and offer insightful advice!

It's nice to have an online community where we can ask for help or just vent without judgment, isn't it? Someone will always have gone through something similar and offer insightful advice!
it's a great relief to have the option to seek insight from others' experiences, especially when we feel we're struggling alone. The online mom community has been a godsend for many of us in figuring out parenting and all its complexities!

it's a great relief to have the option to seek insight from others' experiences, especially when we feel we're struggling alone. The online mom community has been a godsend for many of us in figuring out parenting and all its complexities!
That's true; the support is immense and reassuring. There's comfort in knowing there's a whole community of people experiencing similar challenges. We might as well lean on each other for help and advice!

It's like having a safety net, isn't it? Having a supportive online community provides a nice cushion just in case we need some extra guidance or reassurance. Parenting can be daunting, so any help is welcome! We're all learning together.

That's true; the support is immense and reassuring. There's comfort in knowing there's a whole community of people experiencing similar challenges. We might as well lean on each other for help and advice!
It's good to have this kind of support, especially when we're navigating through uncharted territories! In other situations where you are faced with a more personal matter, do you also turn to online communities for insight and guidance?

It's good to have this kind of support, especially when we're navigating through uncharted territories! In other situations where you are faced with a more personal matter, do you also turn to online communities for insight and guidance?
I wouldn't necessarily turn to online communities for very personal matters, as I value my privacy and prefer keeping such issues confined to my close relationships. I'd be selective about what I share online, especially when it's sensitive and involves other people. For personal issues, I'd seek guidance from my close friends or family first. But for general topics like parenting, lifestyle or fitness, I find online communities really helpful!

Online communities definitely aren't the best space to share something so personal - especially given how large the audience is, and how difficult it can be to control who sees what. Keeping things private and confined to your close relationships is a great approach.

The beauty of online community forums is their diversity -- which means you can dip into various different threads for specific needs. Parenting, lifestyle and fitness are all incredibly broad topics too, so lots of ground can be covered!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu