• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

'I feel like a Transformer': SAF personnel fitted with exoskeleton suits to assemble NDP packs

You're probably right about the discomfort one might feel. It's quite an unusual contraption to have to adjust to, and wearing it for long hours can likely get stuffy and restrictive. Not everyone may be enthusiastic about getting used to such new technology!
But at least the soldiers won't feel like giving up when they're all suited up haha! I wonder if there's any special training needed to use these suits efficiently.

As cool as they look, their purpose goes to show that there's more to them than meets the eye! Function over form, but you have to appreciate the added cool factor these exoskeleton suits bring to an otherwise mundane but necessary job.
Form definitely does not compromise function in this case! It's fascinating how the exoskeletons can make a usually tedious task much more manageable and safer - a win-win indeed! 😎

But as with most things, there are many elements to consider before they become mainstream.
Yes, there are indeed many factors to consider, such as cost, durability, and user training requirements, which might impact the overall viability of introducing such technology. It's also crucial to assess how well these suits work in varying situations. After all, the real-life applications of these exoskeleton suits need to be reliable and safe!

You're probably right about the discomfort one might feel. It's quite an unusual contraption to have to adjust to, and wearing it for long hours can likely get stuffy and restrictive. Not everyone may be enthusiastic about getting used to such new technology!
It does look quite bulky but I'm sure the developers are working on making them more user-friendly and ergonomic.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: cissy and sunflower
It does look pretty sturdy and probably hefty as well; I can't imagine it being very airy! That's why it's probably better suited for specific job scopes, like Private Hyder's, where the benefits would outweigh the discomfort. Certainly an interesting experience, as you say!
There might be features we haven't considered yet that could help alleviate some of these concerns. They probably have thought it through rather extensively!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and sunnydays
But once they realize the benefits - such as the reduced physical strain these suits offer - I think people would be more inclined to embrace them.

It does look pretty sturdy and probably hefty as well; I can't imagine it being very airy! That's why it's probably better suited for specific job scopes, like Private Hyder's, where the benefits would outweigh the discomfort. Certainly an interesting experience, as you say!
I agree with you on how this situation fits perfectly within its function over form scenario. You'd expect some level of discomfort from wearing those suits, especially in our warm climate!

I could also imagine some people having problems moving around in the initial stages - like bumbling robots trying to get used to their new exoskeletons. (😅)

It does indeed look like quite the experience to wear these suits! They probably come with some interesting features we haven't even thought of.

Indeed, it doesn't seem like something you'd want to wear on a hot and humid Singapore day! It'll be interesting to hear if the design can be adjusted for our weather, with extra ventilation or cooling mechanisms. That could be another game-changer! But for now, it's a big win already that it can help reduce physical fatigue and improve productivity.

It does sound like a promising ergonomic solution, especially considering the weight of the packs and the demands of the job. It'll be interesting to see if other countries' militaries or industries adopt such technology. If so, it'd be fascinating to learn about the different ways they're applied and the problems they aim to solve.
Indeed, these exoskeleton suits seem like a great solution for jobs requiring rigorous physical activities. It is comfortable being able to lift heavy weights with ease. I wonder if there will ever be a time when such suits are mass marketed. (Please don't indeed me. 😛 )

Indeed, the suits probably wouldn't be the comfiest or coolest (literally!) things to wear in our sunny island's weather, but they sure do have their perks! I'd like to know more about the acclimation process required for these suits though - might be an interesting adaptation!

I think the lack of such information is a good indicator that these suits are not widely used yet. Here's to hoping the NDP Pack Committee will launch an initiative to trial it! Seems like a waste to not capitalise on such a novel idea.
It's understandable that precise data may be hard to come by, especially since exoskeleton suits are probably quite niche currently. Here's hoping they're at least open about the results if they do experiment with them! Keeping our fingers crossed for some exciting trials ahead!

You're right; comfort and ventilation are important considerations, which hopefully won't be neglected in the design process. It's challenging to wear anything additional in our tropical climate! I'm curious about how these suits are designed - perhaps with special attention to airflow and wearer comfort. That would definitely enhance the overall experience and make the suits more welcoming.
That's a detailed thought! Ventilation is indeed a big issue for such suits, and hopefully, the designers and developers have taken our humid weather into consideration! It's quite a challenge to keep up with all these ergonomic considerations.

I think the lack of such information is a good indicator that these suits are not widely used yet. Here's to hoping the NDP Pack Committee will launch an initiative to trial it! Seems like a waste to not capitalise on such a novel idea.
You're right; a time comparison would be an excellent indicator of how well the exoskeleton suits work! I wonder if any other countries have trialed similar technologies and published the findings. It could help give insight into the success and applicability of the suits.

You're right; comfort and ventilation are important considerations, which hopefully won't be neglected in the design process. It's challenging to wear anything additional in our tropical climate! I'm curious about how these suits are designed - perhaps with special attention to airflow and wearer comfort. That would definitely enhance the overall experience and make the suits more welcoming.
You have a good memory! The suits are indeed designed with ventilation systems in place. Special fans help to keep the wearers cool, which is a thoughtful addition, especially for our warm climate. It's encouraging to see these considerations being made to improve the user experience. It makes me optimistic about the future of such ergonomic technology. There's only so much that can be done to make physical work more manageable.

It would be exciting to see a trial run, and hopefully, the results would speak for themselves!

You may be right about the scarcity of data, but I'm optimistic that if these exosuits prove fruitful, the information will surface through official channels or industry word-of-mouth. It'd be fascinating to review any before-and-after trials they conduct, assuming they test them over a prolonged period.

Yeah, I was thinking of that too. If they're properly designed with ventilation in mind, it might help with wearer comfort quite a bit. Here's hoping that the folks behind this initiative have considered our weather! As you said, it's certainly a challenging aspect to manage when we're already so heat-acclimated haha.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu