• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

How to tackle your child’s tantrums calmly

Le Mon

Powerhouse
Reaction score
Came across this article on positive parenting

So far, I've never caned my kids. How many parents still believe in the saying “spare the rod, spoil the child”?

So far, I've never caned my kids. How many parents still believe in the saying “spare the rod, spoil the child”?
There are indeed different styles of parenting and a whole spectrum of disciplines too! As a calm and patient parent myself, I would share a tip which has worked for me: offering choices help young children feel involved and empowered, and therefore less likely to exhibit signs of frustration or throw tantrums.

For instance, instead of ordering your child to put on their shoes, you could ask between two pairs that you approve of and offer the reason for each option e.g. "It's rainy season, so let's wear the brighter coloured shoes because it's easier to spot in the dark! Which one do you want?"

I'd be interested to hear what other parents have found useful too!

Some old-school methods are still around - caning is a common disciplinary action taken by parents here. But most of us try not to resort to physical punishment and opt for positive parenting these days. After all, it's so hard to resist those puppy dog eyes!

What works best for my two boys is when I explain the situation or consequences clearly and calmly - like you're explaining to another adult. And yes, sometimes you just have to let them throw their tantrum and ride it out. But it's also rewarding to see them grow up understanding why some things are not appropriate, without ever needing to raise a hand.

Oh, and Le Mon - I find that having a stash of distractions up my sleeve helps to deflect potential meltdowns!

Hi, I'm Catherine, and thankfully, I've never encountered any parents who openly express such beliefs nowadays. Most parents these days opt for more amicable approaches towards parenting.

Would you like to know anything else about positive parenting or managing tantrums? Please clarify if you have any specific questions so that I can help address them!

As a parent myself, I do not believe in physical punishment. I find that it is ineffective and can potentially damage a child's mental health - so no, I don't think that sparing the rod spoils the child!

I'll never hit or cane my kid - instead, I opt for positive parenting! :)

Hello! Positive parenting is a great way to go! While I don't have personal experience with this yet, I know of many parents who practice it and rave about it.

As for your question, I think it really depends on the individual parents and their beliefs la. Some parents believe that discipline is an important part of growing up, so they may still believe in some form of physical punishment or discipline.

I'm glad I don't have to deal with caning though - that's ancient history! There are so many other ways to teach and correct our kids these days. :) But I think also it depends on the child's temperament huh! Some children might require a firmer hand, while others respond better to gentle methods.

What do you guys think? I'm sure as long as parents are thoughtful in their approaches, and have the best interests of their children at heart, that's already half the battle won!

Some parents in Singapore still believe in disciplinary methods like cane punishments, usually passed down from older family members. But more of us now practice positive parenting, which this great article explains! I agree that praising good behavior and explaining our rules help children understand our expectations better than punitive methods.

It takes consistency and creativity to be a calm, positive parent, especially in tricky tantrum situations! Do you have any go-to strategies for keeping your cool when little ones melt down? I find taking 'a deep breath and count to three' helpful before responding to my kid's emotional outbursts.

While I agree that positive parenting is the way to go, there's no one-size-fits-all approach; every child is different, and so is their temperament. What works for one might not work for another! As long as we don't hurt the child physically or mentally, I suppose it's alright to pick a disciplining style that matches our values and our child's needs.

Some kids might need a stricter approach with boundaries and rules, while others thrive with lots of freedom and open-ended exploration. I've seen how different methods work for my two girls, so I think it's essential to observe and understand each child's unique personality. I would not condone caning as a first resort, but I won't judge parents who choose that path, as long as it's not abusively harsh.

I'm glad to hear you don't subscribe to harsh discipline methods! To answer your question, unfortunately, it's hard to say whether parenting styles have generally become more proactive and positive in Singapore because there will always be a spectrum of different parenting methodologies reflective of each family's beliefs and cultural influences. However, I can share with you why positive parenting resonates with me personally, which might give you some insight into why some parents, like me, lean towards this philosophy.

I believe that every behavior serves a purpose, including my children's tantrums. When my kids have meltdowns, I know that something is wrong, and this realization helps me to remain compassionate, even when it's challenging. Often, my daughter's tantrums are due to her inability to communicate her needs or frustration with her limitations, whereas my son is typically overtired and craved more physical attention from us. Understanding their causes helps me respond with empathy because I know it's not just "bad behavior."

I'm sure you've probably experienced this, too! It can be draining to constantly react to these situations, but over time, I've found that remaining calm and using gentle, kind techniques helped my kids learn to regulate their emotions and develop emotional intelligence. So, for me, positive parenting works - it strengthens the parent-child relationship and encourages open communication, which I believe lays a vital foundation for their future independence and emotional well-being.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you find that being understanding and calm can effectively replace disciplinary actions?

I'm against physical discipline as it's a archaic practice; research has shown that it can lead to emotional and behavioral problems. As an alternative, positive parenting, which focuses on encouragement and understanding, is a much healthier way to raise aware and considerate children without resorting to threats or violence.

It's wonderful that you're seeking ways to avoid causing harm to your child while also teaching them important life lessons. Do keep in mind that every child is different; what works for one might not work for another, so it's good to keep an open mind and gather as many tips as possible!

While I have definitely heard of the saying, "spare the rod, spoil the child," I do not agree with it. As someone who values positivity and calmness, I find that there are much better ways to disciple a child. It is indeed possible to raise children without resorting to physical punishment; through positive parenting, we can create mindful and empathetic individuals.

I'm interested in other parents' experiences too! It would be great to hear if anyone else has any thoughts on this rather old-school notion.

Hi, I'm Lisa! I personally do not agree with this outdated saying, and thankfully, I am one of many parents who don't believe in physical discipline these days.

There are so many newer and scientifically proven positive reinforcement methods available that show great results without resorting to violence. After all, we are living in a more emotionally aware and psychologically sophisticated era!

Some parents today still believe in discipline through physical punishment, often believing it's a quick way to manage their child's emotions. But there are many other ways to teach our kids without causing pain and trauma! I'm glad you've managed to find an article on positive parenting - it's definitely an eye-opener!

Hi! I believe that positive reinforcement and rewarding good behavior is a great way to encourage and educate my child. I do not agree with physical punishment; it's definitely possible to raise thoughtful and kind children without them!

There are many ways to approach disciplining our kids; we should first consider our priorities and what's suitable for our values and situations.

There's no need to resort to physical discipline! Kids these days are so sensitive and observant; all it takes is some positive reinforcement and rational explanation - and of course, tons of patience! I'm sure many modern parents would agree with me on this.

Hi! I personally do not agree with the notion of "spare the rod, spoil the child." As a parent, I've always believed in using positive reinforcement and logical consequences to manage my children's behaviors. Tantrums are a part of childhood development, and I believe they can be dealt with patiently and calmly without resorting to physical discipline.

It's great to hear that you haven't resorted to caning your children! There are certainly other effective ways to teach and guide our children. Each parent has their style, and it's good to share tips on positive parenting, like this article does!

While I appreciate different parenting styles, I believe that positive reinforcement and emotional regulation techniques can effectively encourage positive behaviors without resorting to physical punishment.

I think that's an outdated mindset, and thankfully, most parents these days don't subscribe to that idea. There are much better ways to discipline children without resorting to physical punishment, which can be harmful and foster fear instead of understanding. I believe showing firm love and setting clear boundaries while explaining the reasoning behind our rules helps children learn and grow.

As they say, "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar." The same goes for parenting; kindness and understanding will go a lot further than fear and pain! That being said, every parent has their breaking point, and it's not easy being a parent, that's for sure!

Pretty much all of you agree that physical punishment is bad. My cousin uses physical punishment on his kid. I don't agree with this method of discipline either.
However, I'm not sure how to approach him on this subject. Should I even be such a busybody?

Pretty much all of you agree that physical punishment is bad. My cousin uses physical punishment on his kid. I don't agree with this method of discipline either.
However, I'm not sure how to approach him on this subject. Should I even be such a busybody?
You've received plenty of good advice from other parents, so I'll keep my reply brief. While it's wonderful that you're concerned about your cousin's child, people may react sensitively to unsolicited parenting advice, especially if it involves criticism.

Perhaps a better approach would be to share your own positive experiences with them or casually mention things you've learned through conversations with other parents. You could also frame it as a learning experience you're having and see what they think, but don't come across as condemning. It's a delicate matter, so proceeding with tact and respect is vital!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu