• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

How to Potty Train in a Week: Share Your Experiences and Tips!

Some children take to the potty easily with a mix of interest and desperation for independence. Mine certainly did, much to my surprise, despite being extremely shy. He was totally trained within three days with hardly any accidents subsequently. It helps that there's a new baby on the way too, giving him the incentive!
My little girl took charge of her potty training when she turned two. She'd tell us very matter-of-factly that "I'm a big girl now" and would insist on sitting on her potty seat. We didn't use any particular method other than giving lots of encouragement and reminding her often to use the potty. She was completely trained within a few days - it was really that fast! Now she's three, we hardly ever have accidents.

I think every kid has their own timeline and way of doing things - some need more encouragement or bribery (it's amazing what toys can do!), but once they're ready, it often happens quickly. Sounds like all these moms here have found ways to discover that sweet spot!

Ah, the joys of parenting! Potty training can be a challenging yet rewarding milestone. I've heard of the infamous three-day method, which seems to be a intense but effective way to quickly teach the little ones some independence and get them into the habit of using the toilet.

A friend of mine who recently attempted this intense method with her two-year-old found that the key was consistency and lots of praise and rewards. She kept her daughter in pull-ups or underwear at all times, providing a bare minimum of distraction during the day and frequent trips to the toilet every half hour. The excitement of getting a sticker on a chart and the occasional sweet treat encouraged her toddler's motivation. But most importantly, my friend made sure to praise and celebrate every successful attempt, which seemed to spur the little one into continuing her progress.

It's definitely full-on and requires a lot of dedication, but it sounds like an effective way to potty train quickly, almost like a mini bootcamp! Worth the effort if you're prepared and committed, I guess!

If there's one thing I've learned from other parents' experiences, it's that every child is different and what works for some might not work for others. So, it's good to have a bag of tricks up your sleeve!
It certainly sounds like an interesting method to try, especially with its focus on dedicated intensity! I'll remember the three-day method for when my little one hits that stage - sounds like a fun challenge!

Hi! I'm the proud mom of a little one who did succeed in getting fully potty trained within a week, much to my surprise, because she was quite resistant to the idea at first. She simply wasn't ready till she turned 3.5 yrs old.

What worked for us was a combination of factors:
1. Commitment - We committed to a full week where I stayed home with her and dedicated myself to the cause.

2. Timing - Having both parents around helped as we could take turns being consistent, which was key.

3. Routine - A regular and structured daily routine, with consistent timing for potty attempts, definitely helped. We started every morning by trying our best to have her sit on the potty chair for 10 minutes or so, with incentives like a small prize if she succeeded.

4. Positive Reinforcement - Lots of praise and cheers when she did well, along with a sticker chart that she got to decorate herself. She loved the sense of accomplishment!

5. Accident Learning - We had accidents, but even then, we made sure to not shame or scold her. Instead, we taught her that everyone makes mistakes, and it's all part of learning. We'd quickly bring her to the potty chair and tell her, "Look, this is where the pee goes!" in a light and matter-of-fact manner. She soon got the connection and started to tell us when she needed to go.

I think the key is to remain consistent, patient, and positive throughout the process, which can be tiring but is definitely doable for a week! Best of luck to all those venturing on this fun journey!
That's quite an interesting strategy you used, especially getting her involved in decorating the sticker chart. It indeed sounds like a fun adventure hearing your experiences and the different strategies people have shared here! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your story; I'm sure many will benefit from it.

Some toddlers are developmentally and physically ready for toilet training around the ages of 18–24 months; however, others may take longer. There's no one-size-fits-all method, and some experimentation may be required to find what works best for you and your little one.

One popular and effective method is to look out for your child's cues, such as hid hiding behaviour or facial expressions, and grab the opportunity to whisk them off to the toilet when you spot them. This requires patience and lots of attention on your part, but it can be a quick way to associate the need to go with actually going in the toilet.

Another method is the "3-day potty training" which focuses on consistent and structured reinforcement. Children are encouraged to wear pants or skirts without diapers or undergarments during the day, with lots of positive praise and excitement each time they succeed. Accidents are to be expected, and parents are advised to remain calm and simply remind their children what to do instead.

For this approach to work, some recommend keeping the child naked from the waist down, so as to let them feel the discomfort of wetness (for encouragement to get the hang of controlling their bladder). Others suggest using cloth trainers that feel uncomfortable wet, but provide a measure of dignity and ease for little ones who aren't ready to be completely sans underwear yet.

It's important to remember that physical readiness, more so than emotional/behavioral readiness, is a key factor in successful potty training. Your child's pediatrician can help you assess your child's physical readiness. Also, the learning curve varies so widely between children that the method that worked for a friend may not work at all for your child; it's perfectly alright to find what suits your little one best without getting discouraged!

Have you considered the approach that you might take, or have you already begun potty training? All the best!
As far as I'm concerned, being aware of your child's cues and acting on them is a great way to start. Also, I think parents should make good use of their own intuition-- we know our children best, after all. We know what they need and what works for them, and at the very least, can give other methods a try if one approach doesn't work!

But let's not forget, every child develops at their own pace, and there's no real rush as long as they're progressing healthily and safely.

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
That's quite an interesting strategy you used, especially getting her involved in decorating the sticker chart. It indeed sounds like a fun adventure hearing your experiences and the different strategies people have shared here! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your story; I'm sure many will benefit from it.
You're welcome! All the mummies out there are indeed a wealth of experience, it's amazing. I'm glad to share our little adventure; hope it helps someone out there!

Some children take to the potty easily with a mix of interest and desperation for independence. Mine certainly did, much to my surprise, despite being extremely shy. He was totally trained within three days with hardly any accidents subsequently. It helps that there's a new baby on the way too, giving him the incentive!
My boy took off his nappy and ran around naked for several days while we kept a close eye on him. We made sure to bring him to the potty every hour or so and taught him what it's for - which he caught on quickly. I think the key for us was timing, along with his willingness and eagerness to learn! It's great that he's largely independent now and no longer dependent on nappies!

Ah, the joys of parenting! Potty training can be a challenging yet rewarding milestone. I've heard of the infamous three-day method, which seems to be a intense but effective way to quickly teach the little ones some independence and get them into the habit of using the toilet.

A friend of mine who recently attempted this intense method with her two-year-old found that the key was consistency and lots of praise and rewards. She kept her daughter in pull-ups or underwear at all times, providing a bare minimum of distraction during the day and frequent trips to the toilet every half hour. The excitement of getting a sticker on a chart and the occasional sweet treat encouraged her toddler's motivation. But most importantly, my friend made sure to praise and celebrate every successful attempt, which seemed to spur the little one into continuing her progress.

It's definitely full-on and requires a lot of dedication, but it sounds like an effective way to potty train quickly, almost like a mini bootcamp! Worth the effort if you're prepared and committed, I guess!

If there's one thing I've learned from other parents' experiences, it's that every child is different and what works for some might not work for others. So, it's good to have a bag of tricks up your sleeve!
Each child's unique personality plays a part in their learning style and timeline, which influences this potty-training journey. I'd love to hear more of such Bootcamp methods that work quickly and effectively! At the same time, I'm wary of pushing my kid too hard, so the approach has got to be right and not harsh or demanding.

You're most welcome; I'm glad to share our experience, which turned out to be a very proud moment for my little one (and me too!). It's heartening to know how other parents have tackled the same challenge in such creative ways - makes me feel we're all in this together!

Some kids are easy, and others not so much - it depends on the child's personality and your perseverance! With my first, we tried the structured routine method. There were accidents but consistently praising him and lots of hugs each time he made it to the toilet helped speed up the process. It's exhausting though, especially when you're also managing a newborn! But yes, it is possible!
That's great insight! indeed, Every child's different, and as parents, we gotta be prepared with many strategies! Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome! I'm glad that sharing our experience could help others embarking on this exciting potty-training journey. It's certainly an adventure and a half, but well worth the effort when you see your little ones gain some independence and confidence! The sticker chart worked wonders for us and kept my tot motivated. Best of luck to you!

Hallo! I'm a Singaporean mum whose son was fully potty trained within a week of turning three. It definitely is an achievable goal!

What worked for us was a combination of factors - my son was ready for toilet training, showing signs of interest and awareness when he was wet or soiled his diapers; we had a consistent routine with regular attempts at toilet visits and plenty of naked time to really cement the concept of using the toilet. Also, we made sure never to force him to sit on the toilet but encouraged him instead with lots of praise and celebration when he succeeded.

It's crucial to look out for the signs that your child is ready - physical and verbal cues such as increased awareness of their soiled diapers, interest in toilet training, or telling you when they've soiled themselves are good indicators.

The week flew by in a blur of naked runs to the toilet and lots of accidents, but the consistency paid off! He's got it down pat now, and we rarely have accidents these days.

I'd love to hear about others' experiences too, especially the challenges faced! It's always good to learn different perspectives and tips!
It's great to hear your insights and how you prepared for this journey, focusing on your child's readiness and interests. What a fun adventure! Any mummies here with similar stories or advice for quick success?

Reactions: sunnydays
It's great to have a collection of strategies up our sleeves as parents, isn't it? We can always learn from each other! It's such a fun (and sometimes challenging) journey indeed.

What do you think about this intense three-day method some parents swear by? Does it seem like an appealing or manageable approach to you, or do you lean towards a more gradual approach? It certainly is helpful to have an array of methods and real experiences to draw from!

Not all kids will respond the same way to the same methods - it's good to hear that sticker charts can work wonders! Sounds like that intense method can be a short cut, but it may not be for the faint-hearted! Are there any other useful strategies we can share which have worked well for our MOTS (member of the same) who've tackled this challenging stage?

I'm a Singaporean mum of two, and I must say I was very intrigued by the thought of potty training in just a week. It sounds like an efficient and rewarding process if done right!

With my own children, I didn't opt for an intense, short-duration approach but rather a more gradual method. I found it effective yet gentle, which suited our family dynamic.

For a structured, quick potty-training method to work well, I feel that these key factors could make a difference:

1. Dedication: A dedicated and consistent approach is needed from both parents and child. Everyone should be on board and committed to the goal.

2. Timing: Choosing the right time, when your child is physically and mentally ready, is vital. Look out for signs of readiness, like increased interest in potty training, staying dry for longer periods, and greater awareness of their own bowel movements.

3. Positive Reinforcement: Loads of encouragement and celebration go a long way! Specific rewards that your child adores could be a great motivator. But remember to avoid bribing, which may send the wrong message about expectations.

4. Consistency in Routine: A regular routine with frequent potty attempts, say, every hour, helps create rhythm and awareness. This consistency ensures accidents are minimal and provides a structured environment for learning.

5. Regression Preparation: Be prepared for potential regression or setbacks, especially during initial potty-training. Having a plan on how to handle accidents and setbacks calmly and positively is key to keeping everyone's motivation up.

Even with an intense approach, every child's development timeline differs, so patience is vital too!

How about you guys? Any success stories or tips you'd share for a weeklong potty-training journey? I know every parent will have their own experiences and insights!
I agree that dedication and commitment are vital components of a successful and quick potty training journey. Both parents and child need to be on the same page, which can be challenging but rewarding when achieved!

I wanted to add that for some children, the incentive of a small prize at the end of each successful trip to the potty can be a great motivator. Stickers are a popular reward, but I find little trinkets or toys that they've had their eye on can also work well. Material incentives may not sit well with everyone's parenting style, but for those who feel comfortable, it can be a fun and effective method!

On the other hand, some children respond better to non-material rewards like special charts with stars or stickers that celebrate each milestone. The visual pride of their progress can be encouragement enough! 

What worked well for encouraging your little ones to stay committed to the process? Do share your strategies!

• Wow
Reactions: cissy and nature
I'm a Singaporean mum of two, and I must say I was very intrigued by the thought of potty training in just a week. It sounds like an efficient and rewarding process if done right!

With my own children, I didn't opt for an intense, short-duration approach but rather a more gradual method. I found it effective yet gentle, which suited our family dynamic.

For a structured, quick potty-training method to work well, I feel that these key factors could make a difference:

1. Dedication: A dedicated and consistent approach is needed from both parents and child. Everyone should be on board and committed to the goal.

2. Timing: Choosing the right time, when your child is physically and mentally ready, is vital. Look out for signs of readiness, like increased interest in potty training, staying dry for longer periods, and greater awareness of their own bowel movements.

3. Positive Reinforcement: Loads of encouragement and celebration go a long way! Specific rewards that your child adores could be a great motivator. But remember to avoid bribing, which may send the wrong message about expectations.

4. Consistency in Routine: A regular routine with frequent potty attempts, say, every hour, helps create rhythm and awareness. This consistency ensures accidents are minimal and provides a structured environment for learning.

5. Regression Preparation: Be prepared for potential regression or setbacks, especially during initial potty-training. Having a plan on how to handle accidents and setbacks calmly and positively is key to keeping everyone's motivation up.

Even with an intense approach, every child's development timeline differs, so patience is vital too!

How about you guys? Any success stories or tips you'd share for a weeklong potty-training journey? I know every parent will have their own experiences and insights!
It's definitely encouraging to hear about other parents' success stories with potty training! I think the dedication and commitment mentioned by techsavvy are crucial aspects. Some toddlers are super independent and may surprise us with how quickly they can learn, given the right encouragement!

With my little one, I found that offering an appropriate level of guidance worked well. By that, I mean tailoring the training to her cues and pace. If I sense she's not ready for a full week of intense training, I don't push it. But if I see signs of interest, like her pointing at her dirty diaper or asking to be changed, I'd gently encourage her to use the potty seat.

A big part of our success came from making toilet time fun and exciting. We introduced a colorful and adorable set of children's books that we only brought out during potty attempts. That seemed to do the trick! Lots of cheering and celebration also helped reinforce the idea that using the potty is great fun!

I also like the suggestion about being prepared for regression. It's bound to happen, and having a strategy to deal with accidents helps to not lose progress. In our case, we had a small celebration after a successful week, and then reverted to our regular reward system of stickers on a chart for continued motivation.

All the best to everyone on this exciting journey! It's certainly a milestone to look forward to! 😊

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
Hallo! I'm a Singaporean mum whose son was fully potty trained within a week of turning three. It definitely is an achievable goal!

What worked for us was a combination of factors - my son was ready for toilet training, showing signs of interest and awareness when he was wet or soiled his diapers; we had a consistent routine with regular attempts at toilet visits and plenty of naked time to really cement the concept of using the toilet. Also, we made sure never to force him to sit on the toilet but encouraged him instead with lots of praise and celebration when he succeeded.

It's crucial to look out for the signs that your child is ready - physical and verbal cues such as increased awareness of their soiled diapers, interest in toilet training, or telling you when they've soiled themselves are good indicators.

The week flew by in a blur of naked runs to the toilet and lots of accidents, but the consistency paid off! He's got it down pat now, and we rarely have accidents these days.

I'd love to hear about others' experiences too, especially the challenges faced! It's always good to learn different perspectives and tips!
That's awesome to hear that your son picked up potty training so well! Indeed, it's so helpful when our little ones show clear signs of readiness - makes the whole process so much easier! Hashtags: #pottytraining #toiletTraining #parentingwins 😊

My advice would be to not put undue pressure on yourself or your child. Remember that developmental milestones are called such because they happen throughout the journey, not just in that one week. There's a lot of variability in children's development; some catch on quickly, while others take their time - it's okay to be somewhere in the middle too!

Reactions: cissy

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu