• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

How to Potty Train in a Week: Share Your Experiences and Tips!

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've heard amazing success stories from parents who managed to potty train their little ones in just a week. I know it sounds too good to be true, but I'd love to hear your experiences and insights if you've achieved this or know someone who has.

What specific methods or techniques worked best? Was it a structured routine, lots of positive reinforcement, or something else entirely? And for those whose kids didn't quite get the hang of it in a week - that's okay too! Your experiences are valuable as well, so share your challenges and what you learned from them.

I'm excited to hear all about it and hopefully pick up some tips for anyone currently embarking on this potty training journey!

Hey everyone! I've heard amazing success stories from parents who managed to potty train their little ones in just a week. I know it sounds too good to be true, but I'd love to hear your experiences and insights if you've achieved this or know someone who has.

What specific methods or techniques worked best? Was it a structured routine, lots of positive reinforcement, or something else entirely? And for those whose kids didn't quite get the hang of it in a week - that's okay too! Your experiences are valuable as well, so share your challenges and what you learned from them.

I'm excited to hear all about it and hopefully pick up some tips for anyone currently embarking on this potty training journey!
It's definitely achievable if you have a cooperative tot who understands basic instructions. I did it with both my boys over a long weekend, where we practiced a consistent routine of hourly visits to the toilet, tons of praise & rewards. For us, the key was bare bottom time so they could feel the sensation & make the connection, plus lots of liquid intake to ensure frequent opportunities for success!

Yes, it's certainly possible to potty train in a week with the right method and tons of patience. I used a mix of structured routine and positive reinforcement. It was challenging but worth it.

Hey! I did something similar with my little one when she turned two. It's a method I heard about which involved a lot of naked time and lots of praise, which somehow worked like magic! Both my kids were trained by the age of two, but it certainly wasn't a smooth sailing journey as every child is different. For my son, he needed a special reward chart which really motivated him to keep at it. Took more bribes for that one! haha! But seriously, lots of encouragement and patience are key, and of course, timing is crucial too.

Hi! I'm the proud mom of a little one who did succeed in getting fully potty trained within a week, much to my surprise, because she was quite resistant to the idea at first. She simply wasn't ready till she turned 3.5 yrs old.

What worked for us was a combination of factors:
1. Commitment - We committed to a full week where I stayed home with her and dedicated myself to the cause.

2. Timing - Having both parents around helped as we could take turns being consistent, which was key.

3. Routine - A regular and structured daily routine, with consistent timing for potty attempts, definitely helped. We started every morning by trying our best to have her sit on the potty chair for 10 minutes or so, with incentives like a small prize if she succeeded.

4. Positive Reinforcement - Lots of praise and cheers when she did well, along with a sticker chart that she got to decorate herself. She loved the sense of accomplishment!

5. Accident Learning - We had accidents, but even then, we made sure to not shame or scold her. Instead, we taught her that everyone makes mistakes, and it's all part of learning. We'd quickly bring her to the potty chair and tell her, "Look, this is where the pee goes!" in a light and matter-of-fact manner. She soon got the connection and started to tell us when she needed to go.

I think the key is to remain consistent, patient, and positive throughout the process, which can be tiring but is definitely doable for a week! Best of luck to all those venturing on this fun journey!

Some children take to the potty easily with a mix of interest and desperation for independence. Mine certainly did, much to my surprise, despite being extremely shy. He was totally trained within three days with hardly any accidents subsequently. It helps that there's a new baby on the way too, giving him the incentive!

Ah, the joys of parenting! Potty training can be a challenging yet rewarding milestone. I've heard of the infamous three-day method, which seems to be a intense but effective way to quickly teach the little ones some independence and get them into the habit of using the toilet.

A friend of mine who recently attempted this intense method with her two-year-old found that the key was consistency and lots of praise and rewards. She kept her daughter in pull-ups or underwear at all times, providing a bare minimum of distraction during the day and frequent trips to the toilet every half hour. The excitement of getting a sticker on a chart and the occasional sweet treat encouraged her toddler's motivation. But most importantly, my friend made sure to praise and celebrate every successful attempt, which seemed to spur the little one into continuing her progress.

It's definitely full-on and requires a lot of dedication, but it sounds like an effective way to potty train quickly, almost like a mini bootcamp! Worth the effort if you're prepared and committed, I guess!

If there's one thing I've learned from other parents' experiences, it's that every child is different and what works for some might not work for others. So, it's good to have a bag of tricks up your sleeve!

Some kids are easy, and others not so much - it depends on the child's personality and your perseverance! With my first, we tried the structured routine method. There were accidents but consistently praising him and lots of hugs each time he made it to the toilet helped speed up the process. It's exhausting though, especially when you're also managing a newborn! But yes, it is possible!

Some toddlers are developmentally and physically ready for toilet training around the ages of 18–24 months; however, others may take longer. There's no one-size-fits-all method, and some experimentation may be required to find what works best for you and your little one.

One popular and effective method is to look out for your child's cues, such as hid hiding behaviour or facial expressions, and grab the opportunity to whisk them off to the toilet when you spot them. This requires patience and lots of attention on your part, but it can be a quick way to associate the need to go with actually going in the toilet.

Another method is the "3-day potty training" which focuses on consistent and structured reinforcement. Children are encouraged to wear pants or skirts without diapers or undergarments during the day, with lots of positive praise and excitement each time they succeed. Accidents are to be expected, and parents are advised to remain calm and simply remind their children what to do instead.

For this approach to work, some recommend keeping the child naked from the waist down, so as to let them feel the discomfort of wetness (for encouragement to get the hang of controlling their bladder). Others suggest using cloth trainers that feel uncomfortable wet, but provide a measure of dignity and ease for little ones who aren't ready to be completely sans underwear yet.

It's important to remember that physical readiness, more so than emotional/behavioral readiness, is a key factor in successful potty training. Your child's pediatrician can help you assess your child's physical readiness. Also, the learning curve varies so widely between children that the method that worked for a friend may not work at all for your child; it's perfectly alright to find what suits your little one best without getting discouraged!

Have you considered the approach that you might take, or have you already begun potty training? All the best!

I'm a Singaporean mum of two, and I must say I was very intrigued by the thought of potty training in just a week. It sounds like an efficient and rewarding process if done right!

With my own children, I didn't opt for an intense, short-duration approach but rather a more gradual method. I found it effective yet gentle, which suited our family dynamic.

For a structured, quick potty-training method to work well, I feel that these key factors could make a difference:

1. Dedication: A dedicated and consistent approach is needed from both parents and child. Everyone should be on board and committed to the goal.

2. Timing: Choosing the right time, when your child is physically and mentally ready, is vital. Look out for signs of readiness, like increased interest in potty training, staying dry for longer periods, and greater awareness of their own bowel movements.

3. Positive Reinforcement: Loads of encouragement and celebration go a long way! Specific rewards that your child adores could be a great motivator. But remember to avoid bribing, which may send the wrong message about expectations.

4. Consistency in Routine: A regular routine with frequent potty attempts, say, every hour, helps create rhythm and awareness. This consistency ensures accidents are minimal and provides a structured environment for learning.

5. Regression Preparation: Be prepared for potential regression or setbacks, especially during initial potty-training. Having a plan on how to handle accidents and setbacks calmly and positively is key to keeping everyone's motivation up.

Even with an intense approach, every child's development timeline differs, so patience is vital too!

How about you guys? Any success stories or tips you'd share for a weeklong potty-training journey? I know every parent will have their own experiences and insights!

Hallo! I'm a Singaporean mum whose son was fully potty trained within a week of turning three. It definitely is an achievable goal!

What worked for us was a combination of factors - my son was ready for toilet training, showing signs of interest and awareness when he was wet or soiled his diapers; we had a consistent routine with regular attempts at toilet visits and plenty of naked time to really cement the concept of using the toilet. Also, we made sure never to force him to sit on the toilet but encouraged him instead with lots of praise and celebration when he succeeded.

It's crucial to look out for the signs that your child is ready - physical and verbal cues such as increased awareness of their soiled diapers, interest in toilet training, or telling you when they've soiled themselves are good indicators.

The week flew by in a blur of naked runs to the toilet and lots of accidents, but the consistency paid off! He's got it down pat now, and we rarely have accidents these days.

I'd love to hear about others' experiences too, especially the challenges faced! It's always good to learn different perspectives and tips!

Hi there! I'm Cynthia, a Singaporean event planner and mom to a five-year old. I have a friend whose son mastered potty training within a week, much to her surprise! She attributed it to an unconventional method of letting him run around the house naked for a few days. It's a controversial method but worked like a charm for her since he didn't want to soil his favorite toy cars and places where he played. He quickly picked up the notion of potty as a fun 'big boy' activity.

It's good to hear other perspectives on this too, so I'm keen to know if anyone else has tried similar things or have other creative strategies!

Yes, it's certainly possible to potty train in a week with the right method and tons of patience. I used a mix of structured routine and positive reinforcement. It was challenging but worth it.
It's wonderful to hear that you had success with a tailored approach involving a lot of patience! Does anyone have any experiences with methods they found didn't work as well? We can all learn from each other and troubleshoot the challenges we face!

It's definitely achievable if you have a cooperative tot who understands basic instructions. I did it with both my boys over a long weekend, where we practiced a consistent routine of hourly visits to the toilet, tons of praise & rewards. For us, the key was bare bottom time so they could feel the sensation & make the connection, plus lots of liquid intake to ensure frequent opportunities for success!
Good to know that it's achievable with a well-planned and consistent approach! Bare bottom time does sound like a good idea to help kids feel the sensations. Thanks for sharing your success story! Any specific rewards you found effective? Or did you tailor them to your child's preferences? That's an often overlooked but crucial part of the process, I'm sure!

Yes, having a good understanding and cooperative toddler makes the process much easier! It's great that you had your boys' full attention over a long weekend to establish the routine. What did you use as a reward system? And did you face any setbacks during or after the training?

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Hourly visits to the toilet and plenty of liquids - a sure way to keep the training consistent! And that's awesome that it worked for both your boys.

It's interesting how you mention having a cooperative tot because I think that's really half the battle won. Having a child who understands and responds to instructions makes a world of difference.

What did you do for rewards? Anything specific that motivated your boys to keep at it? And did you find any challenges with accidents once they were officially 'potty trained'?

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
That's wonderful to know! Most children respond well to a consistent routine coupled with positive reinforcement. It's encouraging to hear that both methods can work synergistically!

That's fantastic to know! A mix of strategies seems key to success. So many techniques to try, but it's encouraging to hear they can work within a short time frame. What a great feeling of accomplishment for both the parents and the little ones!

It certainly sounds like an intense but rewarding experience, especially with your patience put to the test. Can you share some specific details of your method? I'm sure many parents will benefit from the knowledge! Also, were there any common challenges that you foresee parents facing when attempting this quick potty-training method?

Hi! I'm the proud mom of a little one who did succeed in getting fully potty trained within a week, much to my surprise, because she was quite resistant to the idea at first. She simply wasn't ready till she turned 3.5 yrs old.

What worked for us was a combination of factors:
1. Commitment - We committed to a full week where I stayed home with her and dedicated myself to the cause.

2. Timing - Having both parents around helped as we could take turns being consistent, which was key.

3. Routine - A regular and structured daily routine, with consistent timing for potty attempts, definitely helped. We started every morning by trying our best to have her sit on the potty chair for 10 minutes or so, with incentives like a small prize if she succeeded.

4. Positive Reinforcement - Lots of praise and cheers when she did well, along with a sticker chart that she got to decorate herself. She loved the sense of accomplishment!

5. Accident Learning - We had accidents, but even then, we made sure to not shame or scold her. Instead, we taught her that everyone makes mistakes, and it's all part of learning. We'd quickly bring her to the potty chair and tell her, "Look, this is where the pee goes!" in a light and matter-of-fact manner. She soon got the connection and started to tell us when she needed to go.

I think the key is to remain consistent, patient, and positive throughout the process, which can be tiring but is definitely doable for a week! Best of luck to all those venturing on this fun journey!
It's great to have such a detailed share! I love how you mentioned remaining patient, as it's so easy to get frustrated when things don't go as planned. Your approach sounds very mindful and positive, focusing on the learning aspect rather than accidents being a big deal. That's wonderful!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu