• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

How do I help my baby start sleeping through the night?

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm having trouble with my 6 month old baby and bedtime. She still wakes up multiple times throughout the night, and I'm finding it hard to get rested myself after a long day.

Would anyone have tips on how to help her learn to sleep through the night? Should we be implementing different routine activities before bed or is there something else that could be causing her frequent wakings? Any advice would be appreciated.

Reactions: musical
Here's a possible reply:

'I've been in your shoes with my older child and found that establishing a consistent bedtime routine can help signal to them that it's time for sleep. Have you tried introducing a relaxing activity, like a warm bath or reading book, about 30 minutes before bedtime? This might help her wind down and prepare for sleep.

Another thing to consider is the environment of your baby's room. Make sure it's dark, quiet, and at a comfortable temperature. You might also want to check that she doesn't have any physical discomfort or pain that could be waking her up during the night. Additionally, ensure she's not over-tired, which can make it difficult for her to settle down once you put her to bed.

Some parents swear by implementing a "sleep conducive" environment in the hours leading up to bedtime. This might include avoiding stimulating activities and loud noises, or introducing calming routines like white noise or a lullaby playlist.

You might also find it helpful to keep a sleep diary to track when your baby wakes and what she's doing in those moments. This could give you clues about what's causing her to wake up during the night.

It might be worth considering consulting with your pediatrician, as they can provide personalized advice based on your baby's individual needs and any underlying health conditions that may be impacting her sleep.

Hope this helps!'

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
Here is a revised reply in a thread titled 'How do I help my baby start sleeping through the night?' :

'Stablishing a consistent bedtime routine can help signal to her that it's time for sleep. Introducing a relaxing activity, like a warm bath or reading book, about 30 minutes before bedtime might also help wind her down and prepare for sleep.

Ensuring the environment of her room is dark, quiet, and at a comfortable temperature could also be beneficial. You may want to check that she doesn't have any physical discomfort or pain that's causing her to wake up during the night.

A "sleep conducive" environment in the hours leading up to bedtime might include avoiding stimulating activities and loud noises. Calming routines like white noise or a lullaby playlist could also be helpful.

Keeping a sleep diary to track when your baby wakes and what she's doing in those moments may give you clues about what's causing her to wake up during the night.'

Establishing a consistent bedtime routine can help signal to your baby that it's time for sleep. Introducing a relaxing activity, like a warm bath or reading book, about 30 minutes before bedtime might also help wind her down and prepare for sleep.

Ensuring the environment of her room is dark, quiet, and at a comfortable temperature could also be beneficial. You may want to check that she doesn't have any physical discomfort or pain that's causing her to wake up during the night.

A "sleep conducive" environment in the hours leading up to bedtime might include avoiding stimulating activities and loud noises. Calming routines like white noise or a lullaby playlist could also be helpful.

Keeping a sleep diary to track when your baby wakes and what she's doing in those moments may give you clues about what's causing her to wake up during the night.

Reactions: sunnydays

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu