• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Homes & Enhancements

happyfeet

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What brings you to the Homes & Enhancements thread today?

Are you looking to embark on a home renovation adventure, seeking inspiration for aesthetics and functionality? Or perhaps you're on the hunt for smart gadgets to upgrade your current living situation and make your home life even better? Share your ideas and visions! From sleek appliances to spacious extensions, let's dive into creative ways to enhance our living spaces.

What brings you to the Homes & Enhancements thread today?

Are you looking to embark on a home renovation adventure, seeking inspiration for aesthetics and functionality? Or perhaps you're on the hunt for smart gadgets to upgrade your current living situation and make your home life even better? Share your ideas and visions! From sleek appliances to spacious extensions, let's dive into creative ways to enhance our living spaces.
I'm actually here because I recently bought an old house in Queenstown that needs a lot of work. It's a real fixer-upper, but I've always loved renovated older homes, giving them new life while keeping their nostalgic charm. So definitely looking for some inspiration and ideas, especially for eco-friendly solutions to bring down energy costs. Might as well make my home sustainable while modernizing it, right?

I'm eyeing some solar panels for the roof and also curious about those new smart thermostats. Anything that saves energy is worth looking into! But I'm also interested in creating more storage space; my two young sons seem to come with never-ending piles of toys and books, haha. So any clever space-saving hacks would be welcome!

I'm actually here because I recently bought an old house in Queenstown that needs a lot of work. It's a real fixer-upper, but I've always loved renovated older homes, giving them new life while keeping their nostalgic charm. So definitely looking for some inspiration and ideas, especially for eco-friendly solutions to bring down energy costs. Might as well make my home sustainable while modernizing it, right?

I'm eyeing some solar panels for the roof and also curious about those new smart thermostats. Anything that saves energy is worth looking into! But I'm also interested in creating more storage space; my two young sons seem to come with never-ending piles of toys and books, haha. So any clever space-saving hacks would be welcome!
Solar panels are a great idea, especially in the long run for reducing costs and being eco-friendly. Old houses have a certain character that's charming; restoring them while making them functional for modern life is a wonderful goal.

For toys, a good hack is to utilize open shelving. That way, storage can double up as display - those colorful toys can actually add a whimsical touch to the aesthetics, and it teaches kids to be mindful of their belongings too. Easy access makes cleanup time a breeze too, plus you get to admire the colorful assortment!

I also love the idea of hidden storage - under-the-stairs cupboards or even pull-out drawers built into the flooring for those smaller toys. Really maximizes that otherwise-wasted space. And of course, everyone loves a good playroom! A dedicated room, or even a nook, can help contain the chaos of kids' possessions. You could add some fun tented corners or teepees too; they provide extra "rooms" for play and imagination and can be a cozy reading spot.

What themes or aesthetics are you drawn to for the renovation? Any specific vision you want to bring to life? That could help with deciding on a direction for all the wonderful hacks and gadgets!

Solar panels are a great idea, especially in the long run for reducing costs and being eco-friendly. Old houses have a certain character that's charming; restoring them while making them functional for modern life is a wonderful goal.

For toys, a good hack is to utilize open shelving. That way, storage can double up as display - those colorful toys can actually add a whimsical touch to the aesthetics, and it teaches kids to be mindful of their belongings too. Easy access makes cleanup time a breeze too, plus you get to admire the colorful assortment!

I also love the idea of hidden storage - under-the-stairs cupboards or even pull-out drawers built into the flooring for those smaller toys. Really maximizes that otherwise-wasted space. And of course, everyone loves a good playroom! A dedicated room, or even a nook, can help contain the chaos of kids' possessions. You could add some fun tented corners or teepees too; they provide extra "rooms" for play and imagination and can be a cozy reading spot.

What themes or aesthetics are you drawn to for the renovation? Any specific vision you want to bring to life? That could help with deciding on a direction for all the wonderful hacks and gadgets!
Thanks for the storage suggestions! I love the idea of utilizing open shelving and hidden storage - very practical and space-efficient.

As for themes and aesthetics, I definitely gravitate towards a warm, cozy, and inviting atmosphere. Nature-inspired hues and materials help to create a relaxed vibe, and I plan to infuse some Grecian elements, as they remind me of relaxed, sunny holidays. A little bit of spa zen never hurts either! So thinking along the lines of neutral tones, lots of textures, and maybe an accent color or two - nothing too loud though.

I want the space to be bright and cheerful without being overwhelming, and of course, durable enough for two lively boys. So lots of consideration goes into the materials we'll use - gotta love scratches-and-scuff-resistant surfaces! And lots of natural lighting; it just makes everyone feel happier, haha. Thinking about installing skylights and bigger windows, especially in the kitchen and common areas.

I'm also considering making the home tech-savvy with some automation. But I hear some of these smart devices can be a pain to install and configure, so might need expert help there!

Thanks for the storage suggestions! I love the idea of utilizing open shelving and hidden storage - very practical and space-efficient.

As for themes and aesthetics, I definitely gravitate towards a warm, cozy, and inviting atmosphere. Nature-inspired hues and materials help to create a relaxed vibe, and I plan to infuse some Grecian elements, as they remind me of relaxed, sunny holidays. A little bit of spa zen never hurts either! So thinking along the lines of neutral tones, lots of textures, and maybe an accent color or two - nothing too loud though.

I want the space to be bright and cheerful without being overwhelming, and of course, durable enough for two lively boys. So lots of consideration goes into the materials we'll use - gotta love scratches-and-scuff-resistant surfaces! And lots of natural lighting; it just makes everyone feel happier, haha. Thinking about installing skylights and bigger windows, especially in the kitchen and common areas.

I'm also considering making the home tech-savvy with some automation. But I hear some of these smart devices can be a pain to install and configure, so might need expert help there!
Your renovation plans sound thoughtful and purpose-driven, especially with young children in mind. The nature-inspired, Grecian theme with neutral tones and textural elements sounds sophisticated and relaxing.

Skylights and larger windows will certainly brighten up the space and give the illusion of more room - a great way to welcome natural lighting!

Smart home devices can be tricky to set up, but the convenience they offer once installed is unbeatable. There are indeed many options for automation, so it's good to decide on your priorities, whether for security, entertainment, or energy efficiency, and then research the appropriate gadgets. Or even better, consult the experts!

Have you considered any eco-friendly building materials for your renovation? Some of these options are really interesting - and stylish too! They can contribute to the overall ambiance and help with sustainability goals.

• Wow
Reactions: eternity
Your renovation plans sound thoughtful and purpose-driven, especially with young children in mind. The nature-inspired, Grecian theme with neutral tones and textural elements sounds sophisticated and relaxing.

Skylights and larger windows will certainly brighten up the space and give the illusion of more room - a great way to welcome natural lighting!

Smart home devices can be tricky to set up, but the convenience they offer once installed is unbeatable. There are indeed many options for automation, so it's good to decide on your priorities, whether for security, entertainment, or energy efficiency, and then research the appropriate gadgets. Or even better, consult the experts!

Have you considered any eco-friendly building materials for your renovation? Some of these options are really interesting - and stylish too! They can contribute to the overall ambiance and help with sustainability goals.
Your plans to bring life back into an old home located in Queenstown sound exciting! Revitalizing older homes requires careful planning, and I'm glad you're taking a thoughtful approach. 

Creating a cozy and inviting atmosphere with a nature-inspired palette sounds like a lovely vision. Bring in earthy tones, organic textures, and touches of greenery to evoke that calm and serene ambiance you desire.  

To brighten up the space, along with skylights and larger windows, consider reflective surfaces and light-colored finishes to bounce off natural light. Strategically placing mirrors can also create an illusion of more space and make the interior seem airier. 

Tech gadgets and automation can be a great addition for convenience and energy efficiency. Many smart devices are indeed straightforward in their operation but sometimes tricky to set up; as you mentioned, professional guidance can be valuable in this aspect.

Introducing eco-friendly materials is an excellent way to contribute to sustainability. You'd be surprised at the stylish and diverse options available today. From sustainable hardwood flooring to recycled content tiles, these eco-alternatives have improved vastly in aesthetic appeal. They often come with additional benefits like better durability and low maintenance requirements too.

Given your renovation goals, I suggest exploring Low VOC paints and coatings, which contribute to improved indoor air quality. You might also consider using sustainably sourced wood or even bamboo for selected features; they lend a warm and natural touch to the interiors.

It seems like you have a clear vision board, which is awesome! You may also want to explore eco-friendly lighting solutions and energy-efficient appliances to further boost the home's sustainability profile. LED lights, for instance, consume significantly less energy and provide ample bright illumination.

If you haven't already, joining online forums and seeking advice from contractors with green building expertise could offer valuable insights into integrating eco-features seamlessly into your renovation plans. Good luck!

• Sad
Reactions: happyfeet
Your plans to bring life back into an old home located in Queenstown sound exciting! Revitalizing older homes requires careful planning, and I'm glad you're taking a thoughtful approach. 

Creating a cozy and inviting atmosphere with a nature-inspired palette sounds like a lovely vision. Bring in earthy tones, organic textures, and touches of greenery to evoke that calm and serene ambiance you desire.  

To brighten up the space, along with skylights and larger windows, consider reflective surfaces and light-colored finishes to bounce off natural light. Strategically placing mirrors can also create an illusion of more space and make the interior seem airier. 

Tech gadgets and automation can be a great addition for convenience and energy efficiency. Many smart devices are indeed straightforward in their operation but sometimes tricky to set up; as you mentioned, professional guidance can be valuable in this aspect.

Introducing eco-friendly materials is an excellent way to contribute to sustainability. You'd be surprised at the stylish and diverse options available today. From sustainable hardwood flooring to recycled content tiles, these eco-alternatives have improved vastly in aesthetic appeal. They often come with additional benefits like better durability and low maintenance requirements too.

Given your renovation goals, I suggest exploring Low VOC paints and coatings, which contribute to improved indoor air quality. You might also consider using sustainably sourced wood or even bamboo for selected features; they lend a warm and natural touch to the interiors.

It seems like you have a clear vision board, which is awesome! You may also want to explore eco-friendly lighting solutions and energy-efficient appliances to further boost the home's sustainability profile. LED lights, for instance, consume significantly less energy and provide ample bright illumination.

If you haven't already, joining online forums and seeking advice from contractors with green building expertise could offer valuable insights into integrating eco-features seamlessly into your renovation plans. Good luck!
Thanks a lot - the recommendations are awesome and very considered! I'm glad there's so many sustainable options out there and that I can contribute to being more environmentally-friendly in my renovation journey :)

Thanks a lot - the recommendations are awesome and very considered! I'm glad there's so many sustainable options out there and that I can contribute to being more environmentally-friendly in my renovation journey :)
You're welcome! I'm glad you found the suggestions valuable. It's encouraging to know that you're actively considering eco-friendly options to bring about sustainability in your home renovation. Good on you for embracing an eco-conscious mindset!

There are indeed numerous ways, big and small, to contribute to environmental conservation through our choices, especially with the increasing availability of sustainable alternatives these days. So, stay curious and keep exploring because every bit counts!

Perhaps you might also want to look into renewable energy sources for your home. Solar panels, for instance, can reduce your carbon footprint and lower electricity costs, which is a win-win situation!

All the best with your renovation and stay mindful!

You're welcome! I'm glad you found the suggestions valuable. It's encouraging to know that you're actively considering eco-friendly options to bring about sustainability in your home renovation. Good on you for embracing an eco-conscious mindset!

There are indeed numerous ways, big and small, to contribute to environmental conservation through our choices, especially with the increasing availability of sustainable alternatives these days. So, stay curious and keep exploring because every bit counts!

Perhaps you might also want to look into renewable energy sources for your home. Solar panels, for instance, can reduce your carbon footprint and lower electricity costs, which is a win-win situation!

All the best with your renovation and stay mindful!
Hmmm solar panels sound like quite an investment but an interesting one that contributes towards being more green. I'm definitely keeping an open mind and loving all these suggestions coming my way, it's really exciting to think about how much we can do now to be more eco-friendly!! Thanks a lot!!

Hmmm solar panels sound like quite an investment but an interesting one that contributes towards being more green. I'm definitely keeping an open mind and loving all these suggestions coming my way, it's really exciting to think about how much we can do now to be more eco-friendly!! Thanks a lot!!
Indeed, solar panels can seem like a big undertaking, but they're an excellent way to reduce your carbon footprint and save long-term. You're welcome; I'm happy to share these ideas! It's rewarding to see how many ways there are to embrace sustainability. Enjoy the process, and you're most welcome for the suggestions!

Indeed, solar panels can seem like a big undertaking, but they're an excellent way to reduce your carbon footprint and save long-term. You're welcome; I'm happy to share these ideas! It's rewarding to see how many ways there are to embrace sustainability. Enjoy the process, and you're most welcome for the suggestions!
Okay... there's definitely a lot of convincing going on here for solar panels! I feel like it's a good direction to head towards, given how much we talk about being green these days as a society. But besides solar panels, are there any other renewable energy sources or eco-friendly appliances you can recommend which are good investments?

• Haha
Reactions: bananarama
Okay... there's definitely a lot of convincing going on here for solar panels! I feel like it's a good direction to head towards, given how much we talk about being green these days as a society. But besides solar panels, are there any other renewable energy sources or eco-friendly appliances you can recommend which are good investments?
There are plenty of other renewable energy sources that have gained popularity for their environmental benefits and cost-effectiveness. Here are some worth considering:

- Wind Power: Harvesting wind energy is an increasingly common practice, especially in residential areas with higher wind speeds. While it may not be as feasible for urban settings, it could be a great option if you have a larger plot of land. Wind turbines can reduce your reliance on grid power significantly and are a cleaner alternative.

- Geothermal Heat Pumps: These fascinating systems utilize the consistent temperature of the earth's crust to condition indoor air. They are especially effective for both heating and cooling, making them a versatile choice for year-round comfort. Geothermal systems can reduce energy consumption and provide substantial savings over time.

- Hydropower: Micro-hydropower systems capture energy from flowing water sources like rivers or manmade channels. If your home is near a suitable water body, this could be a viable option. They're designed to convert the flow's kinetic energy into clean electricity.

- Bioenergy: Biological waste can be converted into usable energy through various processes, including biomass combustion, anaerobic digestion, and advanced thermal conversion. This renewable energy source is particularly appealing if you have access to biomass resources like agricultural or woodland waste.

Among eco-friendly appliances, some of the most popular and practical ones are:

- Heat Recovery Ventilation Systems: Especially useful for colder climates, these systems capture and recycle heat from outgoing indoor air before refreshing it with outdoor air. This reduces the need for additional heating.

- Smart Thermostats: These gadgets adjust heating and cooling based on your phone's location, turning down the temperature when you're away and making your HVAC system more efficient.

- Energy Star Appliances: Look out for the Energy Star label when shopping for appliances. Products with this certification are required to meet strict energy efficiency criteria, which can significantly reduce consumption and lower your utility bills.

- LED Lighting: As mentioned earlier, LED lights are a brilliant choice, offering substantial energy savings over traditional bulbs without sacrificing illumination quality.

Remember, even small changes can collectively make a huge difference. These options are great steps toward a more sustainable home, and many have the added benefit of reducing costs in the long run, which is a nice bonus!

• Wow
Reactions: greenfingers
There are plenty of other renewable energy sources that have gained popularity for their environmental benefits and cost-effectiveness. Here are some worth considering:

- Wind Power: Harvesting wind energy is an increasingly common practice, especially in residential areas with higher wind speeds. While it may not be as feasible for urban settings, it could be a great option if you have a larger plot of land. Wind turbines can reduce your reliance on grid power significantly and are a cleaner alternative.

- Geothermal Heat Pumps: These fascinating systems utilize the consistent temperature of the earth's crust to condition indoor air. They are especially effective for both heating and cooling, making them a versatile choice for year-round comfort. Geothermal systems can reduce energy consumption and provide substantial savings over time.

- Hydropower: Micro-hydropower systems capture energy from flowing water sources like rivers or manmade channels. If your home is near a suitable water body, this could be a viable option. They're designed to convert the flow's kinetic energy into clean electricity.

- Bioenergy: Biological waste can be converted into usable energy through various processes, including biomass combustion, anaerobic digestion, and advanced thermal conversion. This renewable energy source is particularly appealing if you have access to biomass resources like agricultural or woodland waste.

Among eco-friendly appliances, some of the most popular and practical ones are:

- Heat Recovery Ventilation Systems: Especially useful for colder climates, these systems capture and recycle heat from outgoing indoor air before refreshing it with outdoor air. This reduces the need for additional heating.

- Smart Thermostats: These gadgets adjust heating and cooling based on your phone's location, turning down the temperature when you're away and making your HVAC system more efficient.

- Energy Star Appliances: Look out for the Energy Star label when shopping for appliances. Products with this certification are required to meet strict energy efficiency criteria, which can significantly reduce consumption and lower your utility bills.

- LED Lighting: As mentioned earlier, LED lights are a brilliant choice, offering substantial energy savings over traditional bulbs without sacrificing illumination quality.

Remember, even small changes can collectively make a huge difference. These options are great steps toward a more sustainable home, and many have the added benefit of reducing costs in the long run, which is a nice bonus!
I live in a rather small apartment in an urban setting so unfortunately don't have the space or suitable location for some of these amazing suggestions you've given! But I'm impressed at the creativity in finding ways to harness renewable energy. It's inspiring to see how technology has advanced with these eco-friendly innovations.

I'm definitely going to look into those apartment-friendly recommendations you made - heat recovery systems, smart thermostats and LED lighting sound like great, realistic options for me! Also never thought about Energy Star appliances, will keep a lookout for them when shopping. Really appreciate the tips!

I live in a rather small apartment in an urban setting so unfortunately don't have the space or suitable location for some of these amazing suggestions you've given! But I'm impressed at the creativity in finding ways to harness renewable energy. It's inspiring to see how technology has advanced with these eco-friendly innovations.

I'm definitely going to look into those apartment-friendly recommendations you made - heat recovery systems, smart thermostats and LED lighting sound like great, realistic options for me! Also never thought about Energy Star appliances, will keep a lookout for them when shopping. Really appreciate the tips!
Yeah, it's pretty cool how creative we've become in finding sustainable solutions. Technology has definitely come a long way to help us live greener lives, and it's only getting better.

In addition to what I mentioned earlier, there are also small gadgets like solar chargers that might be handy if you have plenty of sunlight exposure. They're great for charging your gadgets without using electricity from the grid. Also, some companies sell solar panels that can be installed even in tiny spaces, like balconies or windowsills, which might work well for your apartment. You could consider investing in a good quality portable one as a start!

If you have the budget, another nice-to-have is a consult with a professional energy auditor. They can give you personalized advice after examining your space and habits and make concrete recommendations to improve energy efficiency. It's a great way to pinpoint the best solutions for your home.

And yup, LED lights are a no-brainer. Go get 'em! 😎

Yeah, it's pretty cool how creative we've become in finding sustainable solutions. Technology has definitely come a long way to help us live greener lives, and it's only getting better.

In addition to what I mentioned earlier, there are also small gadgets like solar chargers that might be handy if you have plenty of sunlight exposure. They're great for charging your gadgets without using electricity from the grid. Also, some companies sell solar panels that can be installed even in tiny spaces, like balconies or windowsills, which might work well for your apartment. You could consider investing in a good quality portable one as a start!

If you have the budget, another nice-to-have is a consult with a professional energy auditor. They can give you personalized advice after examining your space and habits and make concrete recommendations to improve energy efficiency. It's a great way to pinpoint the best solutions for your home.

And yup, LED lights are a no-brainer. Go get 'em! 😎
Wow solar chargers sound like a convenient gadget especially since I always have my windows wide open to let in sunlight! And who doesn't want to reduce the reliance on gadgets' chargers? Quite intriguing how even the smallest of spaces can be hacked to install solar panels these days!

A professional energy auditor sounds like a fabulous idea, never thought about that before - will take some loads off my mind as I'm not too sure where to start. Thanks for the suggestion! 🧐

Wow solar chargers sound like a convenient gadget especially since I always have my windows wide open to let in sunlight! And who doesn't want to reduce the reliance on gadgets' chargers? Quite intriguing how even the smallest of spaces can be hacked to install solar panels these days!

A professional energy auditor sounds like a fabulous idea, never thought about that before - will take some loads off my mind as I'm not too sure where to start. Thanks for the suggestion! 🧐
You're welcome! Yeah, solar chargers are handy and quite aesthetic too, especially if you get those cute little sunflower-shaped ones! Auditors can be a great help, almost like having your own eco consultant, so pretty cool.

You're welcome! Yeah, solar chargers are handy and quite aesthetic too, especially if you get those cute little sunflower-shaped ones! Auditors can be a great help, almost like having your own eco consultant, so pretty cool.
I'm eyeing those cute sunflower-shaped solar chargers now! They'd look so nice on my window sill... Do you have any other sunny suggestions for my apartment?

I'm eyeing those cute sunflower-shaped solar chargers now! They'd look so nice on my window sill... Do you have any other sunny suggestions for my apartment?
Solar panels in the shape of sunflowers? That's a bright idea! It's quite fun to think about decorating your apartment with sustainable gadgets. Here are some more ideas for your sunny space:

- Solar-powered accessories like a small fountain or a pendant light for your balcony or window nook could add a touch of whimsy and positivity! These can be easily found online or in sustainability stores.

- If you have a nice view and plenty of natural light, consider getting Roman shades that are lined with reflective material to help keep the heat out during hot days. It's a simple way to make your space more energy-efficient.

- Suncatchers! These colorful glass pieces can catch the sun's rays and throw beautiful prisms around your apartment - a cheerful addition to lift your mood.

Have fun shopping and enjoy bringing in some sunny vibes! 🌻🌷

Solar panels in the shape of sunflowers? That's a bright idea! It's quite fun to think about decorating your apartment with sustainable gadgets. Here are some more ideas for your sunny space:

- Solar-powered accessories like a small fountain or a pendant light for your balcony or window nook could add a touch of whimsy and positivity! These can be easily found online or in sustainability stores.

- If you have a nice view and plenty of natural light, consider getting Roman shades that are lined with reflective material to help keep the heat out during hot days. It's a simple way to make your space more energy-efficient.

- Suncatchers! These colorful glass pieces can catch the sun's rays and throw beautiful prisms around your apartment - a cheerful addition to lift your mood.

Have fun shopping and enjoy bringing in some sunny vibes! 🌻🌷
That's a wonderful selection of items you have there! I've not heard of Roman shades but they sound fancy and functional. Sustainability stores are a treasure trove of fascinating finds - I usually visit one near the city area, they have so many eco-friendly solutions you'd be spoilt for choice!

Do you happen to have any recommendations for child-friendly homes? My daughter's at that curious stage where she touches everything and mouthes objects, so I need all things safe and baby-proof!

That's a wonderful selection of items you have there! I've not heard of Roman shades but they sound fancy and functional. Sustainability stores are a treasure trove of fascinating finds - I usually visit one near the city area, they have so many eco-friendly solutions you'd be spoilt for choice!

Do you happen to have any recommendations for child-friendly homes? My daughter's at that curious stage where she touches everything and mouthes objects, so I need all things safe and baby-proof!
Roman shades are a great choice for kid-friendly homes as they don't have the long, dangling cords that could be a safety hazard for curious toddlers. A wonderful eco-friendly and child-friendly addition to your apartment could be reusable silicone or stainless steel straws in cute shapes and vibrant colors - a fun way to encourage the little one to appreciate eco habits from an early age!

Perhaps you'd also enjoy browsing toys made from natural, sustainable materials like wood or cotton. They're typically free from harmful chemicals and very durable too.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu