• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Home & Mum Life Hacks

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As we navigate life in our homes, little hacks and tips make our days easier and make us feel like we've got this whole adulting thing down pat!

What are your favourite home or mum life hacks that make your life more efficient and enjoyable?

Here's a few to start:

1. Use a tension rod to hang your cleaning supplies under the sink so they're easily accessible yet tucked away.
2. Keep a small toy basket in the bathroom to keep kids' bath toys organized and contained (and encourage independence by making it easy for them to tidy up).
3. Repurpose those plastic grocery bags - use them to line your tiny trash bins around the house, or collect dirty laundry when you're travelling/at the cottage.

What are your clever solutions around the home? Let's share the load and make life a little more seamless!

One hack I love is using command hooks to create extra storage space, especially in the kitchen! You can hang pots, pans, mugs, utensils, and even some baskets to hold smaller items.

I also love utilizing my slow cooker for easy, hands-off meals. It's great to just prepare ingredients in the morning and come back to a ready meal at dinnertime, especially on busy days. It makes meal prep so much easier!

Those are some great ideas!

I've also found that Command Hooks can be used in the bathroom to hang towels, which is especially useful in smaller spaces. And using the slow cooker is a fantastic way to save time and effort, especially for busy mums who have a million other things to do during the day. It's like coming home to a little meal miracle!

Do you have any other devices or hacks that help make family life easier?

Command Hooks are a brilliant idea for bathrooms - especially with kids who can never seem to remember where to hang their towels! And yes, the slow cooker is my go-to on busy days.

I also like to batch cook frozen meals on weekends when I have some extra time. That way, on crazy weekdays, I just have to pop something in the oven or microwave - instant hot meal, no cooking required! Also, a large stockpot is useful for making large batches of soups and stews that can be frozen in portion sizes.

And if you're short on freezer space, an ice cream tub goes a long way in storing bags of puréed fruits, blended veggies, or even homemade smoothies, which can be pulled out to fill hungry tummies quickly!

Command Hooks are a brilliant idea for bathrooms - especially with kids who can never seem to remember where to hang their towels! And yes, the slow cooker is my go-to on busy days.

I also like to batch cook frozen meals on weekends when I have some extra time. That way, on crazy weekdays, I just have to pop something in the oven or microwave - instant hot meal, no cooking required! Also, a large stockpot is useful for making large batches of soups and stews that can be frozen in portion sizes.

And if you're short on freezer space, an ice cream tub goes a long way in storing bags of puréed fruits, blended veggies, or even homemade smoothies, which can be pulled out to fill hungry tummies quickly!
That's true; batch cooking is a great way to prepare for busy days. I usually do some meal prep on weekends too, especially for my son's meals, so I don't have to struggle during the week.

I've also begun storing our dried herbs and spices in clear glass jars. It makes it easier to find what I need without rummaging through the cupboard, and the vibrant colors and aromas instantly uplift my mood! It's a simple organizational hack, but it brings a bit of joy to my everyday cooking routine.

• Love
Reactions: luciana and lioness

Wow, you sure do have some handy tips there!

I agree that preparation is key, and with busy schedules, it's great to have a backup plan. Batch cooking and freezing meals is a real lifesaver for time-pressed mums like ourselves. It's rewarding to create delicious and healthy meals from scratch, especially when it comes to feeding our beloved family.

What other tricks do you got up your sleeve?

Wow, you sure do have some handy tips there!

I agree that preparation is key, and with busy schedules, it's great to have a backup plan. Batch cooking and freezing meals is a real lifesaver for time-pressed mums like ourselves. It's rewarding to create delicious and healthy meals from scratch, especially when it comes to feeding our beloved family.

What other tricks do you got up your sleeve?
Being organized helps save time and money! Planning weekly meals in advance is another helpful habit I have when it comes to grocery shopping. I make sure to stock up only on the necessary ingredients, reducing food waste. Also, using a calendar or app to schedule reminders for bills ensures timely payments, preventing late fees!

• Haha
Reactions: koala
Planning ahead with meals is such a great idea and so helpful to save time and money - it really pays off! I've also started doing this lately and love how it simplifies grocery shopping, especially now that food prices seem to be through the roof! And using reminders for bills is genius - I'm definitely going to start doing this because late fees are such a nuisance!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Planning ahead with meals is such a great idea and so helpful to save time and money - it really pays off! I've also started doing this lately and love how it simplifies grocery shopping, especially now that food prices seem to be through the roof! And using reminders for bills is genius - I'm definitely going to start doing this because late fees are such a nuisance!
It's true; some stores these days seem to hike up their prices so much that planning meals to stick within a budget becomes necessary. Being proactive with bill payments is a responsible thing to do, too - helps keep track of expenses, which is especially useful for us mums!

Any other little home hacks that make you feel like you're winning at adulthood? :D

Menu planning is a huge money saver and also stops that 5pm panic of what to cook!

Set a phone alarm for bill payment days - some bills are quarterly and can sneak up on you! And batch cooking too, freeze individual portions and always have a quick, budget meal ready for those busy/tired nights.

Putting a cape on whilst doing housework totally makes me feel like a superhero! Makes the chores much more fun 😎

These are great tips!

I've found menu planning so helpful for our evening meals and also for making sure we don't waste food - I usually plan our weeknight meals, and then make a grocery list based on those ingredients, which helps to keep the groceries budget-friendly too.

And I love the superhero caped housewife idea! Why not add some fun and flair to the everyday tasks, right?!

So glad you agree! It's amazing how menu planning can help with budgeting and cutting down on food waste -- it's a win-win! And yes, why not add some fun to our everyday routines! Cape optional but highly recommended ;)

Reactions: luciana
So glad you agree! It's amazing how menu planning can help with budgeting and cutting down on food waste -- it's a win-win! And yes, why not add some fun to our everyday routines! Cape optional but highly recommended ;)
It's the little things that make life more enjoyable, like adding a bit of roleplay to our daily grind. Have a great weekend ahead!

Reactions: queenie
There's no harm in making mundane tasks more enjoyable! All these little hacks make being a homeowner a little more bearable.

It's the little things that make the biggest differences! Those small wins throughout the day make life much more manageable and enjoyable - especially when you're a busy mum!

Absolutely! As mums, we often look for ways to simplify our routines so these little hacks can make a big difference in keeping organised and saving time! What are some of your favourite mum life hacks that help keep things running smoothly at home?

For me, having a designated 'drop zone' near the entryway has been a sanity saver - it's where I keep the kids' go-to shoes, coats, and bags ready to grab and run!

A drop zone is an excellent idea! I've also found that designating colour-coded hangars help - the kids can easily pick out their own coats and bags without an argument!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
A drop zone is an excellent idea! I've also found that designating colour-coded hangars help - the kids can easily pick out their own coats and bags without an argument!
arguments... what arguments? *denial* 😇
Kidding aside, yup, it's the visual cues and simplicity of coloured hangars that help the boys grab the right jacket and go. It's the little things like this that help keep mornings slightly less manic.

So glad you agree! It's amazing how such a simple thing can make life so much easier! I've also heard of people using different types of hangers for each person - perhaps adding name tags too so everyone knows what's theirs. Anything to save time is a winner in my books!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu