• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Home & Mum Hacks

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There are many ways to make life easier around the house, such as using microfiber cloths for cleaning, upcycling storage containers, and organizing belongings. Repurposing old items is a creative and cost-effective way to decorate your space, like turning old candle jars into vases or Rustic decor pieces. Simple and practical hacks include using tension rods to hang cleaning supplies or small accessories and labeling switches and storage containers. For fabric and craft supplies, there's a hidden gem of a store called Fabric World, recommended for its reasonably priced and diverse selection of materials. Additionally, investing in quality laundry detergent and sharp knives can streamline chores like washing and cooking. These practical solutions and creative ideas shared by seasoned homeowners offer plenty of inspiration to make everyday tasks more manageable and enjoyable.

Share all your clever tips & tricks to make life easier around the house! Whether you're a seasoned homeowner or a new mum, we'd love to hear your genius hacks to tackle everyday challenges. From timesaving cleaning techniques to inventive storage solutions - lay it on us!

And of course, if you have any fun DIY projects or crafty ideas, they're welcome here too - the more creative, the better! Let's make our homes run smoothly and beautifully. Share your home & mum hacks below!

Share all your clever tips & tricks to make life easier around the house! Whether you're a seasoned homeowner or a new mum, we'd love to hear your genius hacks to tackle everyday challenges. From timesaving cleaning techniques to inventive storage solutions - lay it on us!

And of course, if you have any fun DIY projects or crafty ideas, they're welcome here too - the more creative, the better! Let's make our homes run smoothly and beautifully. Share your home & mum hacks below!
If you're looking to save some cash, a nifty way is to upcycle and repurpose items that most people would normally throw away! Old jars can be used as storage for buttons, paper clips, or even little treats like candies. Got some old fabric lying around? You could sew them into cute storage pouches or even a simple curtain. Repurpose old plastic containers or tins by turning them into desk organizers or plant pots. Gotta love how creative and eco-friendly that is!

If you're looking to save some cash, a nifty way is to upcycle and repurpose items that most people would normally throw away! Old jars can be used as storage for buttons, paper clips, or even little treats like candies. Got some old fabric lying around? You could sew them into cute storage pouches or even a simple curtain. Repurpose old plastic containers or tins by turning them into desk organizers or plant pots. Gotta love how creative and eco-friendly that is!
I've got some old candle jars sitting around, and I'm thinking of ways to repurpose them. Does anyone have any cool ideas for those? I'm not very crafty, so preferably something simple yet aesthetic! Also, any recommendations on where to buy cute fabric would be great. Something affordable yet good quality! Looking forward to your creative suggestions!

I've got some old candle jars sitting around, and I'm thinking of ways to repurpose them. Does anyone have any cool ideas for those? I'm not very crafty, so preferably something simple yet aesthetic! Also, any recommendations on where to buy cute fabric would be great. Something affordable yet good quality! Looking forward to your creative suggestions!
For your candle jars, a straightforward idea is to create little flower vases! Just ensure the candles are removed thoroughly, wash the jar, and voilà - a simple yet pretty vase for your flowers!

As for fabric, there's this cute little shop near the city called "Fabric World". It's not too expensive, and they have a decent selection of prints and colours. You could also try online stores; some of them have good quality fabric at reasonable prices, plus plenty of designs to choose from.

Reactions: luciana
For your candle jars, a straightforward idea is to create little flower vases! Just ensure the candles are removed thoroughly, wash the jar, and voilà - a simple yet pretty vase for your flowers!

As for fabric, there's this cute little shop near the city called "Fabric World". It's not too expensive, and they have a decent selection of prints and colours. You could also try online stores; some of them have good quality fabric at reasonable prices, plus plenty of designs to choose from.
Thanks for the recommendations! I'm thinking of making a trip down to this Fabric World soon; seems like a hidden gem!

As for the candle jars, a vase is a brilliant idea that would look pretty and elegant - maybe with some fairy lights wrapped around them too! Something simple to give a cozy, warm glow.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'm thinking of making a trip down to this Fabric World soon; seems like a hidden gem!

As for the candle jars, a vase is a brilliant idea that would look pretty and elegant - maybe with some fairy lights wrapped around them too! Something simple to give a cozy, warm glow.
Yes, don't forget to check out Fabric World soon; it might be tucked away in an obscure corner, but it's definitely worth a visit!

For your jar decor, fairy lights are a great idea for a warm and cozy ambiance!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
Yes, don't forget to check out Fabric World soon; it might be tucked away in an obscure corner, but it's definitely worth a visit!

For your jar decor, fairy lights are a great idea for a warm and cozy ambiance!
I'll probably pop by this weekend, if I remember - there's quite a bit of fabric that'd catch the eye of anyone who enjoys sewing and crafting!

I'm thinking of going for a rustic, cozy feel with the candle jars. Perhaps some jute rope wrapped around them, with a few wooden beads strung in for good measure. A simple and earthy decor piece!

I'll probably pop by this weekend, if I remember - there's quite a bit of fabric that'd catch the eye of anyone who enjoys sewing and crafting!

I'm thinking of going for a rustic, cozy feel with the candle jars. Perhaps some jute rope wrapped around them, with a few wooden beads strung in for good measure. A simple and earthy decor piece!
Sounds wonderful! Fabric World will surely have something nice for your projects. I like the sound of those candle jars; very homely and cozy indeed.

Sounds wonderful! Fabric World will surely have something nice for your projects. I like the sound of those candle jars; very homely and cozy indeed.
Yep, that's why I enjoy shopping there. The store has such a quaint and charming atmosphere, perfect for picking up bits and bobs for my craft stash!

I'm leaning towards some warm-toned fabric with maybe a hint of orange or yellow. Nothing too bright, just a soft, subtle warmth. Thinking of making some simple cushion covers with the fabric - nothing fussy, just some neat embroidery perhaps.

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom
Wah! So many good ideas already shared! I usually keep a basket for each person in the family to keep their random stuff - keys, gadgets, sun specs - so it's easy to find when we are rushing out. Also, a rotation system for toys and books helps to keep them exciting. Kids get bored easily so this swaps things around and saves us from buying new ones frequently!

I've got some time-saving hacks which might be useful!

For cleaning, nothing beats a good old microfibre cloth. It's my go-to for dusting and polishing furniture, and it saves me from using lots of chemicals too. I just keep a few dampened cloths in a container, so they're always ready when needed.

Organising can be fun! A trick I use is to label all the clear storage containers in my pantry - saves me from opening every single one to see what's inside! And for DIY fans, an old plastic bin can be upcycled into a nifty laundry basket with some colorful ribbon and a modpodge treatment.

Also, an easy way to brighten up the house is to display potted plants, especially herbs - they look nice and are useful for cooking too!

Fairy lights definitely give a cozy feel to the ambiance! And I love the simplicity of turning candle jars into flower vases! So pretty and easy!

Upcycling and repurposing are such cool ways to save money and also eco-friendly, which is always a bonus. Old jars can become little storage pots or even cute vases - we often don't realize the potential of these everyday items! And yup, I agree Fabric World is worth a visit for sure. They have some nice finds and reasonable prices too!

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers
Another good one is to label all the switches around the house, especially the lightswitches. New houseguests will find it super helpful, and even family members who've lived there for years can easily identify which switch controls what without having to switch them on and off to find out! Saves everyone time and frustration - really useful if you have lots of lights and gadgets plugged in!

Might as well stick plastic baggies on wet painted walls using blue-tack to catch drips! Can just peel off when paint's dry! Easy peasy and no need for messy newspaper!

53735763947_636dee0581_m.jpg

If you're running low on clothes pegs but still have a big load of laundry to hang, use rubber bands! They're way more common than pegs anyway, and they work surprisingly well. Just make sure to remove them before you forget and leave them on the clothes too long - they can leave indentations otherwise!

I'm not very savvy with intricate D.I.Y. hacks, but I've picked up a few useful tricks over the years which have made domestic life simpler.

Laundering wise, using the right detergent has made all the difference. Investing in good quality detergent and softener seems expensive initially, but it saves so much trouble down the line - no extra rinses required, and the clothes come out feeling and looking cleaner. I also throw in a few drops of essential oils into the mix for freshness.

In the kitchen, keeping a well-organized pantry has been a real game changer. Jars and containers may seem excessive, but they ensure that everything has its place - it's so much faster locating ingredients when cooking. Plus, there's no risk of spilling, which reduces food wastage! Clear storage is best for this.

Another realization has been the importance of good sharp knives in the kitchen. It makes prep work so much faster and safer. No more struggling to slice veggies - a solid chop and it's done!

What other hacks do you guys swear by? These small changes have made a huge difference in my routine, would love to hear others' experiences too!

Wah! So many great ideas can really simplify life around the house!

One super easy one I love - use a tension rod to hang your cleaning supplies under the sink. Saves space and keeps everything within easy reach! Also great for storing small toys, hair ties and accessories without them getting lost. Just snap it up higher or lower depending on what you wanna store!

Wah! So many great ideas can really simplify life around the house!

One super easy one I love - use a tension rod to hang your cleaning supplies under the sink. Saves space and keeps everything within easy reach! Also great for storing small toys, hair ties and accessories without them getting lost. Just snap it up higher or lower depending on what you wanna store!
Yep, tension rods are a real lifesaver! I also like using those plastic shower rings for hanging up my cleaning tools. You know, the kind that you get from the hotel staycation you did last month. They're especially useful if your broom or mop doesn't have a proper stand. Just snap on the ring and hang them up somewhere handy - behind the door or on the side of a cupboard!

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
Yep, tension rods are a real lifesaver! I also like using those plastic shower rings for hanging up my cleaning tools. You know, the kind that you get from the hotel staycation you did last month. They're especially useful if your broom or mop doesn't have a proper stand. Just snap on the ring and hang them up somewhere handy - behind the door or on the side of a cupboard!
Very clever!! Those rings are a nifty way to keep things accessible! And eco-friendly too since we're reusing! I like how versatile they are - can hang towels, bags and even clothes with ease. We can also thread our washing lines through the rings to create extra hanging space for laundry days!

Very clever!! Those rings are a nifty way to keep things accessible! And eco-friendly too since we're reusing! I like how versatile they are - can hang towels, bags and even clothes with ease. We can also thread our washing lines through the rings to create extra hanging space for laundry days!
Shower rings really are a mom's best friend! I'm thinking of getting some colorful ones to make things more fun and easier to spot for my little one. He enjoys helping me hang up towels after his bath, so I think he'd enjoy playing with these too.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu