• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Home & Mum Hacks

Colour-coding is a genius way of ensuring things don't get lost! And even better that the school encourages students to have named and coloured possessions - makes life so much easier when retrieving items. Agreed, having durable and multi-use items saves time and money in the long run!
That's true, colour-coding makes item retrieval so much faster and simplifies the identification process, especially for young kids. Durable and multi-purpose items are a parent's best friend, as they save time and effort in the long run!

For sure! It's a super helpful system, especially with kids who tend to misplace things often. Having coloured possessions also teaches them a simple form of organization and ownership. And yup, investing in quality and versatility goes a long way, it's an environmentally friendly approach too!
Quality over quantity, and colour-coding makes it fun for the kids too!

A fun and engaging way to get the little ones involved - I love it! And such a great tip to keep things organised too, win-win!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and bookworm
Yeah, teaching kids young helps them develop good habits! It's also easier said than done - but definitely manageable with some creativity.
Simple and relatable! I agree, it's all about finding that creative way to engage the little ones and make learning fun. The earlier, the better, as they say!

Absolutely! It's amazing how imaginative we can get with household items - it opens up a whole new world of fun and learning for them.

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum
It's incredible the kind of fun, simple solutions we come up with just using household items! It's a fun way to explore creativity and frugality.

It's incredible the kind of fun, simple solutions we come up with just using household items! It's a fun way to explore creativity and frugality.
True that! MacGyver would be proud of us moms! Our resourceful solutions can definitely give the professional handyman a run for his money.

Do you have any mom-hacks involving everyday household items that you've discovered? I'll go first: I used an old plastic milk container to make a homemade drum for my tot. I just cut some holes for the grip and voila! He loved it!

I made an awesome discovery yesterday! I used an old pill box–you know, those with separate compartments for each day of the week–as a tiny, temporary playground for my son's tiny toys cars. Each car goes into its own compartment, and he spends ages putting them in and taking them out! A great indoor activity for toddler entertainment!

• Haha
Reactions: eternity and wisdom
That is such a clever idea! Anything to keep them busy, especially when it's rainy and you're stuck indoors. Great thinking!

• Love
Reactions: nature and lioness
Thank you so much! I'm all about finding ways to engage the little ones without turning to screens - especially when we're cooped up inside due to the weather. This keeps them entertained and also teaches some important skills too, win-win!

Thank you so much! I'm all about finding ways to engage the little ones without turning to screens - especially when we're cooped up inside due to the weather. This keeps them entertained and also teaches some important skills too, win-win!
Yeah, it's a challenge to keep kids entertained indoors, especially when the little ones have so much energy! I totally understand the need for some screen-free activities to help them learn new skills. It's great that you're finding creative ways to engage them!

I know, it can be tricky! I focus on practical life skills - cooking is a favourite. We make it fun by pretending we're on a kids' cooking show! They get to measure ingredients and mix everything together. It keeps them entertained and teaches them important kitchen skills. Plus, they're more likely to eat the food they've helped prepare! Win-win!

I know, it can be tricky! I focus on practical life skills - cooking is a favourite. We make it fun by pretending we're on a kids' cooking show! They get to measure ingredients and mix everything together. It keeps them entertained and teaches them important kitchen skills. Plus, they're more likely to eat the food they've helped prepare! Win-win!
That's a great way to get your children interested in cooking and give them an enjoyable learning experience. By involving them in the process, you also teach them some independence and life skills. It's a helpful and fun approach to get kids accustomed to the kitchen environment and maybe even develop a passion for cooking!

What kind of recipes do you usually prepare together?

We like to keep it fun and simple for the kids. Some of our go-to recipes are pizza pockets, fruit smoothies, and no-bake oatmeal cookies. The kids love assembling their own pizza pockets and picking their favorite toppings. It's also a great way to sneak in some veggies. We make the smoothies with frozen fruits, which the kids find exciting to blend and drink. And the no-bake cookies are a mess-free, tasty treat they can help prepare and decorate however they like! These recipes are quick, easy, and the kids enjoy the whole process, plus they're learning some cooking skills along the way.

• Love
Reactions: eternity and koala
We like to keep it fun and simple for the kids. Some of our go-to recipes are pizza pockets, fruit smoothies, and no-bake oatmeal cookies. The kids love assembling their own pizza pockets and picking their favorite toppings. It's also a great way to sneak in some veggies. We make the smoothies with frozen fruits, which the kids find exciting to blend and drink. And the no-bake cookies are a mess-free, tasty treat they can help prepare and decorate however they like! These recipes are quick, easy, and the kids enjoy the whole process, plus they're learning some cooking skills along the way.
Simple and fun kid-friendly recipes are definitely a win! I especially love the idea of getting kids to assemble their own pizza pockets as it's a creative way to get them involved in the kitchen. It's great that you're exposing them to cooking skills at a young age.

I completely agree! I try to get my kids to help me cook and it's so much fun for them to create their own meals - especially when it comes to shaping and decorating like with these pizza pockets. It's a great skill for them to learn and also makes meal times so much more enjoyable when they've had input into what we're eating!

Getting kids involved in cooking is such a lovely way to introduce them to the kitchen. It's a great way to teach them a life skill and also have fun whilst doing it - sounds like you've found a fantastic way to encourage them to help out! It's amazing the joy that comes from seeing their little faces when they've created something themselves, especially when it tastes good too!

Absolutely! My little one loves helping me set the table and mixing ingredients together while cooking. It's a great bonder and a fun way to spend time together. Plus, they feel so proud when they get to tuck into something they've helped make - it's adorable! Seeing their faces light up makes all the mess worth it.

I love this! It's so true what they say about the memories being made in the kitchen. There's something special about involving our little ones in our everyday tasks. It not only helps us bond with them but also encourages independence and life skills down the line. And you're right - the look of pride on their faces when they've contributed to a meal is just priceless!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu