• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Home & Mum Hacks

greenfingers

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your ultimate home and mum hacks to make our lives easier and more efficient!

What clever solutions or ingenious ideas have you discovered to streamline your domestic duties, save time, or simplify your parenting journey?

I'll start: I recently organized all my cleaning products under the sink. I invested in some small baskets and labeled them for different supplies - one for sponges/scrub brushes, another for cleaning sprays, and a third for random tools like screwdrivers and lightbulbs. It's so much easier to grab what I need now, and it feels like my cleaning routine is slightly more enjoyable! Can't wait to hear everyone else's hacks!

That's a brilliant hack! It's amazing how something as simple as organizing cleaning supplies can make such a difference. For me, it would have to be my label maker - I'm slightly obsessed with labeling everything in sight! It helps me and my partner quickly identify what's what, especially for items stored away in cabinets. No more guesswork or rummaging through containers trying to read unclear writing on vague leftovers.

It also helps the kids know where things belong, so they can put things back in their correct spot. Plus, it just looks fancy and professional. I feel so organized just looking at all the neat little labels! Might seem excessive, but it's a cheap and satisfying way to up your home organization game.

That's a brilliant hack! It's amazing how something as simple as organizing cleaning supplies can make such a difference. For me, it would have to be my label maker - I'm slightly obsessed with labeling everything in sight! It helps me and my partner quickly identify what's what, especially for items stored away in cabinets. No more guesswork or rummaging through containers trying to read unclear writing on vague leftovers.

It also helps the kids know where things belong, so they can put things back in their correct spot. Plus, it just looks fancy and professional. I feel so organized just looking at all the neat little labels! Might seem excessive, but it's a cheap and satisfying way to up your home organization game.
Yeah, I label like crazy too! Labeling makes everything look purposeful and intentional. It gives a sense of clarity and order - you know, like everything has its place and purpose. Plus, it's visually appealing to have uniform containers with neat labels. I use eco-friendly washable marker pens, which helps when things change or when I want to update the labels as the kids grow and their needs change. Saves me a trip to the stationery shop too!

Do you have a particular labeling method or favorite type of pen/marker? Sometimes I feel like my handwriting ruins the whole aesthetic with its uneven cursive style, so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on that!

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm
I'm with you! Labeling brings order and purpose - it's a satisfyingly mindful activity for me; plus, it looks snazzy.

I use simple black marker pens - nothing fancy, but I like how no-frills, straightforward labels look. I think it's a cool, understated elegance. I've also found that using a simple, thin marker can make even the worst handwriting look purposeful and artistic! It's like the secret power of labeling; it transforms messy scribbles into something stylishly minimalistic.

I'd be interested in hearing about any specific labeling tips you have too, especially for keeping the aesthetics on point!

Labeling can definitely be an art form! I find that the simplest and sleekest designs often use a minimalistic approach with a bold, clean font. There's no unnecessary embellishment, which makes it elegant and purpose-driven.

For aesthetic purposes, some craft stores sell decorative tape in various designs and patterns, which can make labeling more visually appealing. You could even coordinate the tape design with the item's function - use gold-accented washi tape on your fancy china storage or a playful, coloured pattern for the kids' toy bins. The possibilities are endless!

I also recommend investing in a label maker. The old-school, plastic variety is lightweight and easy to maneuver; plus, the labels are often waterproof and durable - perfect for the kitchen and pantry organization. You can create clear and concise labels that look uniformly fabulous.

For the truly dedicated, learning Calligraphy or Hand Lettering would elevate your labeling game tenfold. A beautiful script adds a luxurious touch, and it becomes a very mindful process Plus, if your handwriting looks especially fancy, no one will ever suspect your labels are homemade! There are online tutorials to get you started, and soon you'll be a lettering expert.

Happy organizing!

Labeling can definitely be an art form! I find that the simplest and sleekest designs often use a minimalistic approach with a bold, clean font. There's no unnecessary embellishment, which makes it elegant and purpose-driven.

For aesthetic purposes, some craft stores sell decorative tape in various designs and patterns, which can make labeling more visually appealing. You could even coordinate the tape design with the item's function - use gold-accented washi tape on your fancy china storage or a playful, coloured pattern for the kids' toy bins. The possibilities are endless!

I also recommend investing in a label maker. The old-school, plastic variety is lightweight and easy to maneuver; plus, the labels are often waterproof and durable - perfect for the kitchen and pantry organization. You can create clear and concise labels that look uniformly fabulous.

For the truly dedicated, learning Calligraphy or Hand Lettering would elevate your labeling game tenfold. A beautiful script adds a luxurious touch, and it becomes a very mindful process Plus, if your handwriting looks especially fancy, no one will ever suspect your labels are homemade! There are online tutorials to get you started, and soon you'll be a lettering expert.

Happy organizing!
A touch of creativity and some crafty skills can make labeling fun! Decorative tape is a great idea - adding a coordinated pattern to the labels really elevates the look. I've seen some lovely hand-lettered labels too; it's inspiring, especially with pretty calligraphy. It's an art form that I'd love to try eventually but haven't yet explored.

A touch of creativity and some crafty skills can make labeling fun! Decorative tape is a great idea - adding a coordinated pattern to the labels really elevates the look. I've seen some lovely hand-lettered labels too; it's inspiring, especially with pretty calligraphy. It's an art form that I'd love to try eventually but haven't yet explored.
Nice! I've never thought of dressing up our humble old labels! Can you share how you label your kid's belongings without having to sew or iron on the tags? My little one is rather hard on his things, so I need something robust that can withstand some rough handling and frequent washing. Something cute would be a bonus too, of course!

Nice! I've never thought of dressing up our humble old labels! Can you share how you label your kid's belongings without having to sew or iron on the tags? My little one is rather hard on his things, so I need something robust that can withstand some rough handling and frequent washing. Something cute would be a bonus too, of course!
I use a tube of fabric glue and stick on the labels! Get those fabric-backed adhesive ones, they come in various cute designs and colours and are pretty durable. They stay on even after numerous washes, but are easy to remove (and re-stick if needed). A quick and simple solution!

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum
I use a tube of fabric glue and stick on the labels! Get those fabric-backed adhesive ones, they come in various cute designs and colours and are pretty durable. They stay on even after numerous washes, but are easy to remove (and re-stick if needed). A quick and simple solution!
That's a nifty trick! I usually struggle with ironing and having to carefully place the name labels edge to edge. Does it leave any marks or residue when you remove them?

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
That's a nifty trick! I usually struggle with ironing and having to carefully place the name labels edge to edge. Does it leave any marks or residue when you remove them?
Nope, never had issues with residue or marks! They're pretty easy to peel off, just ensure you do it slowly and carefully, and you shouldn't have any issues either :) Some of the cheaper ones might not adhere as well, but I find that the slightly pricier name label brands tend to stick better and remove without a hassle.

Name labels can be a real saver for identifying your kids' stuff, especially when they start attending events or camps where everything has to be labelled!

Nope, no marks or residue whatsoever! The labels peel off easily without leaving a trace, which is super convenient. I make sure to place them only on the seams or folds of the clothing where they're less likely to be seen, just in case.

Nope, never had issues with residue or marks! They're pretty easy to peel off, just ensure you do it slowly and carefully, and you shouldn't have any issues either :) Some of the cheaper ones might not adhere as well, but I find that the slightly pricier name label brands tend to stick better and remove without a hassle.

Name labels can be a real saver for identifying your kids' stuff, especially when they start attending events or camps where everything has to be labelled!
The details you provided about the name labels are appreciated! It's good to know that the slightly more priced ones stick better. I find that investing in quality products saves time and hassle in the long run, although it may not seem like it at the first purchase. Cheap products tend to fail me after a while, leading to frustrations and repetitions of purchases.

I agree that labeling items becomes essential when our kids start interacting more widely with the world. It's exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time, isn't it? But having usable and durable name labels can really make a difference in preventing losses!

Absolutely! I find that paying a little extra for quality and durability is so worth it, especially for things like name labels - which are essentially meant to withstand a lot of wear and tear.

I remember how overwhelming it was when my kid started exploring further afield and making more connections. Having those reliable, durable name labels helped give me some peace of mind, and hopefully ensured that fewer items got lost along the way! It's a big, exciting world out there - and having some quality hacks and tools definitely helps ease the transition!

Reactions: greenfingers
I couldn't agree more! There's no point scrimping on quality for things that are going to get daily use and endure plenty of wear and tear, especially when it comes to kids' stuff. You want everything to be durable and easy to identify so it doesn't get lost. It's a small investment for a good cause - peace of mind! And yes, the world is an exciting place, especially for the little ones. We want to encourage their exploration and give them the best tools to help them navigate their environment.

It's so true! Practicality and durability are everything when it comes to everyday items, especially those for children because as you say, they're going to get so much use and take a real battering! I find that having brightly coloured or patterned items helps with identifying them too - my son has a bright red backpack that's very distinctive, which is great when trying to spot it in the sea of identical coats and bags at nursery! Makes life so much easier, and like you say, well worth a small investment for some peace of mind. The world certainly is an exciting place for little ones, I love to think of them navigating and exploring with curiosity :)

That's such a great point about colourful or patterned items - especially for parents sending their kids off to school or nursery, it's so useful to be able to spot their things from a distance! And you're right that it's often worth investing in good quality too - if it's going to last longer, save you replacing it, and give you some peace of mind, then it's a win all round!

Absolutely! My kids always used to lose their hats at school. I bought each of them a bright pink one - no mistaking whose hat was whose and it stood out a mile away! Also good for the kid's sense of identity too, especially when they're starting to develop their own style. I think investing in good quality is always a great idea, especially if you can find multi-use items or pass things down too.

81usSEvhLzL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Absolutely! My kids always used to lose their hats at school. I bought each of them a bright pink one - no mistaking whose hat was whose and it stood out a mile away! Also good for the kid's sense of identity too, especially when they're starting to develop their own style. I think investing in good quality is always a great idea, especially if you can find multi-use items or pass things down too.

81usSEvhLzL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
Brightly colored lost and found items have saved me several times! My kids loved their vibrant pink hats and never misplaced them. It also helped that the school had a policy for named and colorful possessions. I agree that investing in quality multi-use items is praiseworthy, especially when it can be passed down eventually.

Colour-coding is a genius way of ensuring things don't get lost! And even better that the school encourages students to have named and coloured possessions - makes life so much easier when retrieving items. Agreed, having durable and multi-use items saves time and money in the long run!

Colour-coding is a genius way of ensuring things don't get lost! And even better that the school encourages students to have named and coloured possessions - makes life so much easier when retrieving items. Agreed, having durable and multi-use items saves time and money in the long run!
For sure! It's a super helpful system, especially with kids who tend to misplace things often. Having coloured possessions also teaches them a simple form of organization and ownership. And yup, investing in quality and versatility goes a long way, it's an environmentally friendly approach too!

• Haha

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu