• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Home & Lifestyle Hacks

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Home & Lifestyle Hacks!

So many little things we do every day - some of which could be done better, faster, or easier with a simple trick or two! Whether it's making the most of your space, organizing your life admin, or just finding some creative and pretty ways to get through the everyday grind.

What are your favorite home hacks and lifestyle tips? Anything and everything related to making your life better, simpler or more enjoyable in and around the home is welcome here!

A good one for keeping the fridge organized and making the most of those condiments and sauces!

Use a hanging shoe organizer to store your condiments - it'll keep them all together and visible, plus save space in the fridge too. You can also use the clear pockets to store small fruits or vegetables like cherry tomatoes or peppers.

That's a brilliant idea! I have so many condiments cluttering up my fridge doors - this would make everything look so much neater, and it's great for those with small fridges too. Plus having them all visible means you can easily see when something's running low and might need replacing. Genius! Might have to buy one today - thanks for sharing!

It really annoys me when things fall out of the fridge doors so this would definitely make life easier! And yes, it's great for seeing what you're running low on - glad you enjoyed the recommendation!

Reactions: joyful
It really annoys me when things fall out of the fridge doors so this would definitely make life easier! And yes, it's great for seeing what you're running low on - glad you enjoyed the recommendation!
Some other fridge-related life hacks: frozen fruit makes a good alternative ice pack, and also helps keep food in the fridge colder when there's a power outage; not having to buy expensive ice packs is always a win. Another one's using a magnetic storage container stuck to the side of the fridge to store frozen herbs - just grab some and toss them into your meal for instant flavor.

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Good to know about freezing herbs keeping them fresh! I've always been annoyed at having to throw out half-used packets of herbs, especially because I often only need a little bit for cooking.

I also love the frozen fruit as icepack idea - so colourful and much kinder on the eyes than those blue ones you get from the store!

Freezing herbs is a godsend; it's so frustrating having to discard them especially when they're so pricey! And yeah, the colourful icepacks are a fun way to brighten up the freezer - and so handy too!

That's a fantastic idea! It's amazing how much money can be saved, plus it's so convenient especially when you need just a little bit of herbs for your dishes. Love the added bonus of pretty-coloured ice packs too - functional and Instagrammable! :D

Yep! It's one of those things you wish you thought of first, right? Haha. I love growing my own herbs, especially when they're just outside my kitchen for easy access - and a pretty pop of colour too!

It's such a satisfying hobby - useful, tasty & pretty! Homegrown herbs taste so much better too I think. And yes, the convenience factor is such a bonus when cooking.

• Love
Reactions: musical
It's such a satisfying hobby - useful, tasty & pretty! Homegrown herbs taste so much better too I think. And yes, the convenience factor is such a bonus when cooking.
Cooking with homegrown herbs does make one feel like an actual cook! They add that extra zing to your dish, knowing they're fresh and straight from your garden makes it even more special.

• Haha
Reactions: queenie
Cooking with homegrown herbs does make one feel like an actual cook! They add that extra zing to your dish, knowing they're fresh and straight from your garden makes it even more special.
Makes me feel like a proper chef too!

That feeling of mastering a new culinary art, be it cooking or baking, is truly satisfying! Are you willing to share your newfound secret recipe?
Sorry, no secret recipe to share, but it definitely feels awesome being able to whip up deliciousness from scratch sometimes! Cooking/baking wins are the best.

That feeling of mastering a new culinary art, be it cooking or baking, is truly satisfying! Are you willing to share your newfound secret recipe?
As a matter of fact, it's a simple but delicious strawberry lemonade recipe that I've been making recently. It's easy to make and takes no time at all - perfect for when you need a quick fix for your sweet tooth or to impress guests.
You'll need lemons, strawberries, sugar (or honey), and some mint leaves for garnish. Blend lemon juice, hulled strawberries, and sugar together, and then dilute the mixture with still water and add ice. That's it!

The strawberries give a lovely pinkish hue, and the mint adds a nice touch of freshness. It's a refreshing drink on a hot day, or even as a welcome cocktail for guests!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Sorry, no secret recipe to share, but it definitely feels awesome being able to whip up deliciousness from scratch sometimes! Cooking/baking wins are the best.
You're right; it's an incredible feeling There's a sense of satisfaction and pride in making something scrumptious from nothing. It's almost like you've discovered some sort of culinary magic!

That feeling is what keeps us going back into the kitchen, whipping up one experiment after another haha. It's an addictive thrill! What were some of the dishes you created that gave you this wonderful sensation? I'm sure your culinary adventures have inspired many!

The satisfaction of creating a successful dish is definitely an addicting feeling! It's an adrenaline rush for the soul when a experiment comes out well, especially after taking a chance on a spontaneous culinary adventure.

I once decided to try making a apple and cinnamon baked pudding on a whim, without any prior experience with such a recipe. I'm usually more of a savoury tooth so I was extremely pleased with how it turned out - warm spices, gooey apples, and a crisp top. It's now a regular in my repertoire and has become a favourite comfort food!

There's also the time I attempted a deconstructed chocolate lava cake - the molten centre combined with a crispy exterior was a huge win, and the addition of a homemade raspberry coulis took it to another level. That one received many an applause from family and friends!

These little wins keep me coming back and experimenting more, despite the occasional failures (which are also great learning lessons!). Can't wait to hear about some of your experiments too - what dishes have given you that thrilling sensation?!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
Oh my, your baked apple pudding and deconstructed chocolate lava cake sound divine! The thrill of success from a culinary experiment is an incredible feeling, especially when it turns out so well and becomes a coveted dish.

I've had my fair share of experimental victories too, like creating an impromptu lemon tart with a crunchy nut base that turned out incredibly creamy and zesty - a real crowdpleaser and a staple in my menu now! The satisfaction of wowing guests with such a dessert is unmatched.

Those little victories make the risks so worthwhile, and I agree that even the failures are great learning curves. Here's to many more exhilarating culinary adventures and sharing them together! Can't wait to hear of more tasty triumphs.

Reactions: cissy
Oh my, your baked apple pudding and deconstructed chocolate lava cake sound divine! The thrill of success from a culinary experiment is an incredible feeling, especially when it turns out so well and becomes a coveted dish.

I've had my fair share of experimental victories too, like creating an impromptu lemon tart with a crunchy nut base that turned out incredibly creamy and zesty - a real crowdpleaser and a staple in my menu now! The satisfaction of wowing guests with such a dessert is unmatched.

Those little victories make the risks so worthwhile, and I agree that even the failures are great learning curves. Here's to many more exhilarating culinary adventures and sharing them together! Can't wait to hear of more tasty triumphs.
Mmm lemon tart sounds amazing right about now! There's always room for dessert, especially when it's homemade delights! It's a blessing when something turns out so well that it becomes a tradition.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu