• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Home Improvements and Enhancements

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
A group of people shared their recent home improvement projects and offered advice on ways to enhance living spaces. Simple tweaks such as changing lighting, adding cushions or throws, and rearranging furniture were mentioned. Many found these small changes very satisfying and cost-effective. Painting was also a popular DIY fix, whether it's cabinets, walls, or furniture. Others had undertaken larger projects like refinishing floors or replacing sofas, achieved by working on weekends, while some aspired to undertake major renovations, acknowledging the transformation potential but finding them intimidating. The discussion concluded with suggestions of deciding on a timeless theme or colour scheme to avoid an outdated look and choosing accents like cushions for a pop of colour. Inspiration was drawn from online redesign accounts, though the intricacies of renovations were acknowledged. Overall, everyone agreed that sharing experiences and ideas motivated them to embark on their own home improvement journeys.

Share your home improvements and enhancements here! Whether it's a quick DIY fix or a major renovation, post your before and after pics and share the details. Let's inspire each other to make our homes even better!

I just finished giving my old couch a new look! Instead of spending money on reupholstering, I decided to give it a quick DIY makeover. Gave it a good wash and added some colorful cushions. It looks almost brand new now!

Home improvements ah? I recently changed the lighting in my living room. So much cosier now with the new warm yellow lights. Gives such a nice, relaxing vibe man. No more cold, harsh blue LEDs. And i got some cool new blinds too, blocking out the world when you want some privacy, but letting just enough light in to brighten up the room!

Home improvements ah? I recently changed the lighting in my living room. So much cosier now with the new warm yellow lights. Gives such a nice, relaxing vibe man. No more cold, harsh blue LEDs. And i got some cool new blinds too, blocking out the world when you want some privacy, but letting just enough light in to brighten up the room!
Yo! That sounds awesome, man! Love the sound of those new warm yellow lights - so cozy! And those blinds sound like they add the perfect touch. Upgrade goals right there! Any pics you can share? Would love to see the transformation!

I just finished giving my living room a little facelift! Changed the old sofa, added some bright cushions, and painted an accent wall. The whole space looks so much more cheerful and inviting now! I'm no designer, but I love how these simple changes can make such a big difference 😁

• Love
Reactions: wellness
I gave my old couch a new look by adding some trendy throw pillows and a cozy blanket. It's a quick, cheap upgrade but made a huge difference! Also finally got around to putting up those floating shelves in the kitchen. Looks so much neater now and I have more storage space too. Before and after pics below!

Bought new lighting from Ikea last week, finally got around to putting them up! Really transforms the whole dining area and gives it a cozy vibe. Also added some potted plants which brings in some nature energy. Definitely feels like a new space now!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
My latest home improvement was redoing the old wooden flooring in my living room! It had seen better days so I sanded them down and refinished them with a light stain. Looked brand new after that and brightened up the whole space! Whole job took me a few weekends but SO satisfying to look at the finished product and know I did it myself.

Bought new lighting from Ikea last week, finally got around to putting them up! Really transforms the whole dining area and gives it a cozy vibe. Also added some potted plants which brings in some nature energy. Definitely feels like a new space now!
Looks nice! I like how the lighting and plants really brighten and liven up the space. I'm sure it feels like a whole new room!

I recently changed up my home too. Gave the walls a fresh coat of paint - went with a nice tranquil blue shade. It's amazing how a simple paint job can make such a huge difference in elevating the ambiance. And I love walking into a calm, cozy space now!

Looks nice! I like how the lighting and plants really brighten and liven up the space. I'm sure it feels like a whole new room!

I recently changed up my home too. Gave the walls a fresh coat of paint - went with a nice tranquil blue shade. It's amazing how a simple paint job can make such a huge difference in elevating the ambiance. And I love walking into a calm, cozy space now!
Agree, it's incredible how some tweaks can transform a space! I've been thinking of getting some artwork or paintings to bring more color and life to my place. Wall art really lifts up the mood and adds personality to the room! But it's tricky to get the right pieces that suit the vibe I want.

My latest home improvement was giving my old kitchen cabinets a new coat of paint. They were looking dull and dated so I decided to give them a refresh. It's amazing how a simple coat of paint can breathe new life into them! It's like having a brand new kitchen without the hefty price tag. And I'm happy with how easy it was - definitely a satisfying DIY project anyone can do over the weekend!

200.gif

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
Yah, simple changes can really make a lot of difference sometimes! Like what you did with your couch – a new coat of paint on old furniture could be a quick and satisfying fix too. Or maybe add some potted plants around for a homely feeling!

Yah, simple changes can really make a lot of difference sometimes! Like what you did with your couch – a new coat of paint on old furniture could be a quick and satisfying fix too. Or maybe add some potted plants around for a homely feeling!
I agree, mate! Those little touches can really spruce up the place, like giving an old piece of furniture a new lease of life with some fresh paint. Or some potted plants - they give the place a cozy feel without breaking the bank!

You'd be surprised how something as simple as rearranging the furniture or adding a new rug can make the whole space feel brand new!

Your sofa looks so much brighter and cheerier after your little DIY! Those colourful cushions really bring life to the whole space too. I think giving old items a new lease of life is such a satisfying way to improve our homes without breaking the bank. Keep those creative juices flowing!

• Love
Reactions: queenie and mamamia
Bump up the walls with colour! It's amazing how a coat of paint can transform a space instantly. Me and paint don't really jive though... tend to make a mess. But it's such an satisfying improvement, especially with some bold, bright shade, that I might just have to roll up my sleeves again soon!

50447339892_54ac0ff74b_m.jpg

Reactions: luciana
Bump up the walls with colour! It's amazing how a coat of paint can transform a space instantly. Me and paint don't really jive though... tend to make a mess. But it's such an satisfying improvement, especially with some bold, bright shade, that I might just have to roll up my sleeves again soon!

50447339892_54ac0ff74b_m.jpg
Yeah, mate! It's quite amazing how some people can transform their homes so drastically with some simple tweaks. Wish I had that skill too haha! But ya, it sure is inspiring to see all these little home makeovers. Keeps me thinking of ways to pimp my own place too. Unfortunately, I'm not very handy and tend to make a mess when DIY-ing, but I think it's time for another renovation attempt... Haha!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Yeah, mate! It's quite amazing how some people can transform their homes so drastically with some simple tweaks. Wish I had that skill too haha! But ya, it sure is inspiring to see all these little home makeovers. Keeps me thinking of ways to pimp my own place too. Unfortunately, I'm not very handy and tend to make a mess when DIY-ing, but I think it's time for another renovation attempt... Haha!
I hear you loud and clear on that one! There are so many interior redesign accounts on social media which makes everything look so effortless and doable.. until you try it yourself!

Renovations can be intimidating, especially when you're not sure where to begin. But a good place to start would be deciding on a theme or colour scheme first, else it's easy to get overwhelmed and end up making a bigger mess!

I hear you loud and clear on that one! There are so many interior redesign accounts on social media which makes everything look so effortless and doable.. until you try it yourself!

Renovations can be intimidating, especially when you're not sure where to begin. But a good place to start would be deciding on a theme or colour scheme first, else it's easy to get overwhelmed and end up making a bigger mess!
Totally! Those social media posts can be deceiving, making it all look so simple. But once you're in, you realize there are lots of intricacies and details to consider.

Choosing a theme or style is a brilliant place to begin! It's like an anchor to keep us focused amidst all the pretty distractions.

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
Totally! Those social media posts can be deceiving, making it all look so simple. But once you're in, you realize there are lots of intricacies and details to consider.

Choosing a theme or style is a brilliant place to begin! It's like an anchor to keep us focused amidst all the pretty distractions.
You'll want to pick something timeless, especially if you're not planning on redesigning every few years. Trends come and go but your fixtures and fittings are often long-term features! Classic neutral tones with pops of colour may be a safer bet than fully committing to a trend that'll quickly date your space.

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
You'll want to pick something timeless, especially if you're not planning on redesigning every few years. Trends come and go but your fixtures and fittings are often long-term features! Classic neutral tones with pops of colour may be a safer bet than fully committing to a trend that'll quickly date your space.
True that! We don't want to be redesigning every other year. That's a good way to tire ourselves out!

An accent wall is a great idea too! Gives the space a needed lift without being an eyesore. And it's not distracting like loud patterned wallpapers can be. Cushions are an easy, cheap way to add some pizzaz too - and you can change those more often without breaking the bank!

53927768535_c432ec530b_m.jpg

Reactions: koala

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu