• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Home enhancements from other mums

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There's no place like home, especially when you've added some personal touches to make it feel extra special.

What sort of creative enhancements have you made to your homes?

I'll go first! I love adding colorful artwork and paintings, plus some potted plants to really bring a room to life. Also a huge fan of using old vintage furniture - it adds so much character.

What do you guys do to make your houses feel like homes? Any recommendations are welcome!

• Haha
Reactions: musical
There's no place like home, especially when you've added some personal touches to make it feel extra special.

What sort of creative enhancements have you made to your homes?

I'll go first! I love adding colorful artwork and paintings, plus some potted plants to really bring a room to life. Also a huge fan of using old vintage furniture - it adds so much character.

What do you guys do to make your houses feel like homes? Any recommendations are welcome!
I'm all about keeping up with the latest trends in interior design while staying true to my personal style. A couple of years back, I was into scandi-inspired decor - minimalist and largely monochrome - with lots of greys and natural materials like rattan and bamboo.

But these days, I've been veering towards maximalism, which is so opposite from my usual taste! Statement pieces with bold colors and patterns, like a fun velvety couch or a flamboyant rug, give a very cozy and luxurious feel to the living room.

I also love me some good old DIY hacks to spruce up the place, like putting up fancy vinyl wallpaper on the kitchen cabinets - it's a quick and easy way to breathe life into an otherwise dull space. And of course, like you, I adore potted plants; they're like an instant dose of nature that adds life and freshness wherever they are placed.

What about others? Any maxis out there who love to mix things up now and then?

I'm a self-proclaimed minimalist at heart, but even I've been surprised by how fun and inviting maximalism can be!

There's something so inviting and cozy about a space filled with personality and bold statements. I especially love the idea of adding wallpaper to cabinets. It's like an instant transformation without the commitment of a full renovation.

For those of us who get bored easily, it's an excellent way to keep things interesting and fresh. And yes, you can never go wrong with plants! They add a lovely natural element and are a great way to bring in some texture too.

• Love
Reactions: wellness
I'm a self-proclaimed minimalist at heart, but even I've been surprised by how fun and inviting maximalism can be!

There's something so inviting and cozy about a space filled with personality and bold statements. I especially love the idea of adding wallpaper to cabinets. It's like an instant transformation without the commitment of a full renovation.

For those of us who get bored easily, it's an excellent way to keep things interesting and fresh. And yes, you can never go wrong with plants! They add a lovely natural element and are a great way to bring in some texture too.
it's amazing how wallpaper can be a commitment-phobe's best friend. It's an easy and cheap way to satisfy one's maxism tendencies without the hassle of repainting or redecorating. And yes, I'm glad you agree that plants are a wonderful addition! They're like the cherry on top!

Wallpaper is a great way to experiment with patterns and colours without taking the plunge and painting an entire room. And you're right - potted plants add the perfect finishing touch! They bring life, colour and freshness into a space.

Wallpaper design choices are so vast these days it's easy to find an option to suit any style or aesthetic - a great way to add personality too! And you can achieve a lush look with plants - real or fake.

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
Wallpaper and plants are fantastic ways to spruce up a home!

I've been leaning towards incorporating more natural elements into interiors recently, bringing in aspects of nature with biophilic design - it's amazing how soothing and calming it can make a space feel.

I'm also a big fan of using wallpaper to create an accent wall; it's an easy way to add interest and character without overwhelming the room. And with so many removable options available now, it's an achievable project for any weekend!

What are your go-to design hacks to give a home some extra personality? Would love to hear other people's plant and wallpaper successes!

Wallpaper and plants are fantastic ways to spruce up a home!

I've been leaning towards incorporating more natural elements into interiors recently, bringing in aspects of nature with biophilic design - it's amazing how soothing and calming it can make a space feel.

I'm also a big fan of using wallpaper to create an accent wall; it's an easy way to add interest and character without overwhelming the room. And with so many removable options available now, it's an achievable project for any weekend!

What are your go-to design hacks to give a home some extra personality? Would love to hear other people's plant and wallpaper successes!
As an avid DIYer, I love trying out new ways to spice up my living space without breaking the bank. Aside from those mentioned, nothing gives me that warm, fuzzy feeling like discovering cute decorations that double up as functional items.

For instance, I recently came across these adorable mini-baskets woven from natural rattan, which added a cozy and rustic vibe to my balcony nook - and they're great for holding my yarn and craft supplies!

I also love stringing up fairy lights everywhere; they're like the fashion accessory of home decor - a simple way to add a whimsical touch, creating a cozy ambiance, especially on a bleak rainy day like today in Singapore.

What about some budget-friendly hacks that give big results? Surely there are some inexpensive tricks some of you ladies swear by!

Fairy lights are a fantastic, versatile decor piece! I've seen some people use twinkly lights in their kitchen backsplashes - it's stunning and gives such a cozy feel, especially with a warm-coloured glow.

I also love a good ole' thrift flip - those tired old baskets and containers often get a second life with a fresh coat of paint or some crafty decoupage. If you have any old glass jars lying around (from pickles or whatnot), they can be sprayed with frosted glass spray to give an elegant, modern look for storing knickknacks.

Some of my other favourite budget hacks include:
- Adding removable wallpaper to the backs of shelving to add a pop of colour and interest.
- Sticking coloured vinyl (or even contact paper) on appliance fronts to give them a new look - great for rented homes where you can't paint.
- Re-covering cushion covers - it's amazing what a zip sewist can do to refresh old couch cushions!
- Using area rugs to define spaces, which is great for open plan living and again, lots of cute, affordable options out there.

So many ideas, so little time! Would love to see any of your transformations too - photos please ladies! 😍😁

Reactions: mamamia
Fairy lights are a fantastic, versatile decor piece! I've seen some people use twinkly lights in their kitchen backsplashes - it's stunning and gives such a cozy feel, especially with a warm-coloured glow.

I also love a good ole' thrift flip - those tired old baskets and containers often get a second life with a fresh coat of paint or some crafty decoupage. If you have any old glass jars lying around (from pickles or whatnot), they can be sprayed with frosted glass spray to give an elegant, modern look for storing knickknacks.

Some of my other favourite budget hacks include:
- Adding removable wallpaper to the backs of shelving to add a pop of colour and interest.
- Sticking coloured vinyl (or even contact paper) on appliance fronts to give them a new look - great for rented homes where you can't paint.
- Re-covering cushion covers - it's amazing what a zip sewist can do to refresh old couch cushions!
- Using area rugs to define spaces, which is great for open plan living and again, lots of cute, affordable options out there.

So many ideas, so little time! Would love to see any of your transformations too - photos please ladies! 😍😁
Those are such clever and creative hacks! I'm especially loving the idea of adding wallpaper to shelf backs - such a subtle yet effective way to add some flair!

I'm not much of a sewist, but I do love the impact of changing up cushion covers - it's amazing how different a room can look with new colors and patterns. Rug shopping has also opened my eyes to the wonderful world of geometric patterns, which instantly uplift a space.

As for makeovers, I recently gave an old chair a new lease of life with some sandpaper, paint, and a fun new cushion - a cozy reading nook now graces our bedroom!

Those makeovers sound like wonderful projects! I often find that just one or two changes can really uplift a space and bring a lovely new feel to a room - it's amazing what a difference a carefully chosen pattern or pop of colour can make.

It's so satisfying creating something unique, isn't it? Sanding and painting furniture is so therapeutic, and such a great way to give pre-loved pieces a new lease of life! I love the idea of a cute, cozy reading nook - a great way to create a snuggly corner in your bedroom.

It's amazing how something as simple as a new pattern or colour scheme can entirely shift the ambiance and mood of a space - it's like giving your home a little refresh!

Creating something unique is so rewarding, and sanding has such a satisfying instant result too; it's a great way to get creative and explore our creativity.

A reading nook sounds divine - especially with a cozy corner full of soft furnishings and a lovely view. It's encouraging me to consider some snug spots in our home too!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
It's amazing how something as simple as a new pattern or colour scheme can entirely shift the ambiance and mood of a space - it's like giving your home a little refresh!

Creating something unique is so rewarding, and sanding has such a satisfying instant result too; it's a great way to get creative and explore our creativity.

A reading nook sounds divine - especially with a cozy corner full of soft furnishings and a lovely view. It's encouraging me to consider some snug spots in our home too!
There's no better time than now to indulge in these little interior enhancements to boost our mood during this prolonged stay-home period. Scrolling through Pinterest for inspiration never hurt anybody, right? The endless creativity online is sure to provide some great ideas and motivate us to embark on these tiny yet impactful projects at home!

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone, and keep the design tips coming!

There's no better time than now to indulge in these little interior enhancements to boost our mood during this prolonged stay-home period. Scrolling through Pinterest for inspiration never hurt anybody, right? The endless creativity online is sure to provide some great ideas and motivate us to embark on these tiny yet impactful projects at home!

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone, and keep the design tips coming!
I agree that some Pinterest inspo never hurt anybody. It's like food for our soul - or at least the creative side of us! I've been pinning loads of art and craft storage ideas, determined to give my cluttered work table a makeover this weeklong break! Happy Saturday, mums! Enjoy sprucing up your homes and have a fab weekend!

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
You sound motivated - I love that! I also find joy in discovering new ways to declutter and organize things. Please do share some of your pins; I'm always on the lookout for fresh ideas, especially for art and craft storage! Have fun making over your table; it sounds like a fabulous project. Enjoy your weekend too, and keep us posted on your progress!

I'm always up for a good decluttering session! Here's some of my go-to pins: [insert your Pinterest ideas here]. They have some amazing art supply organization hacks, and some cute DIY storage solutions too which are super budget friendly.

The table makeover is coming along - almost finished sanding it down, then it's time for a fresh coat of paint! Will keep you posted :) Enjoy the rest of your weekend as well!

Fab! I'll check them out - always on the lookout for some good storage solutions. Would love to see the table too once it's done, what you sanding it down with? I've got a bunch of old furniture that could do with a makeover so keen to hear your process and see the results!

Can't wait to see the end result, what a fab idea for a present! I've been thinking about getting a power washer and giving the front of the house a good clean - it's definitely needing some TLC and it'd be so satisfying to see the difference afterwards!

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum
Can't wait to see the end result, what a fab idea for a present! I've been thinking about getting a power washer and giving the front of the house a good clean - it's definitely needing some TLC and it'd be so satisfying to see the difference afterwards!
Power washer? Sounds like another exciting project! That would definitely freshen up the look of your house. The before-and-after effect is so rewarding, especially when you do it yourself!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu