• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Helping kids with homework

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What are some of the most difficult aspects of helping your children with their homework?

I find that understanding the new common core methods can be challenging! It's so different from how we learned, and keeping up with the constantly changing ways of teaching can be hard.

What strategies do you use to stay current and help your kids when they need it without doing their work for them or losing your mind? I could use some tips on keeping my patience too, especially when helping multiple children!

Reactions: musical
What are some of the most difficult aspects of helping your children with their homework?

I find that understanding the new common core methods can be challenging! It's so different from how we learned, and keeping up with the constantly changing ways of teaching can be hard.

What strategies do you use to stay current and help your kids when they need it without doing their work for them or losing your mind? I could use some tips on keeping my patience too, especially when helping multiple children!
I feel you! Keeping up with the ever-evolving education system is a challenge. To stay sane, I focus on developing good communication channels with the teachers so I know what's expected and encourage my kids to ask their teachers for clarifications too; it empowers them to learn independently. As for patience, setting realistic expectations and breaks between helping each child keeps melt-downs at bay. Also, having a variety of after-homework activities helps keep everyone motivated!

I feel you! Keeping up with the ever-changing education system and its new methods can be daunting, especially for us who are removed from the school curriculum. I find that staying humble and honest with our kids helps. Admitting to them that some concepts are Greek to me, and asking genuine questions along with them keeps me engaged and encourages open discussions.

It's also a great idea to foster independence by encouraging the children to attempt the questions first and avoid giving away answers right away. We can play detective together and approach the problem from different angles, which helps build their critical thinking skills and makes learning more engaging.

As for keeping my cool, I practice mindfulness and deep breathing when the situation gets a little heated or frustrating. That, and having an honest heart-to-heart talk with them about their feelings and mine helps dissipate the tension and keeps the learning environment positive.

I'm sure other parents have more ingenious strategies too!

I feel you! Keeping up with the ever-evolving education system is a challenge. To stay sane, I focus on developing good communication channels with the teachers so I know what's expected and encourage my kids to ask their teachers for clarifications too; it empowers them to learn independently. As for patience, setting realistic expectations and breaks between helping each child keeps melt-downs at bay. Also, having a variety of after-homework activities helps keep everyone motivated!
That's true! Constant communication with the teachers is crucial; their insights can help us understand the current curriculum's nuances. I find it helpful to ask teachers directly about the specific strategies they recommend for helping our kids. And yes, encouraging our children to seek clarity from their teachers promotes independence - we don't want to be their first port of call every time!

Keeping a balanced perspective, especially when assisting multiple children, is essential. Setting manageable goals and having fun breaks in between can make the process less daunting. Otherwise, we risk burning out or becoming overly frustrated. Having a homework playlist with brain-boosting songs or a small reward system after completing a task might add some fun and motivation for everyone!

I feel you! Keeping up with the ever-changing education system and its new methods can be daunting, especially for us who are removed from the school curriculum. I find that staying humble and honest with our kids helps. Admitting to them that some concepts are Greek to me, and asking genuine questions along with them keeps me engaged and encourages open discussions.

It's also a great idea to foster independence by encouraging the children to attempt the questions first and avoid giving away answers right away. We can play detective together and approach the problem from different angles, which helps build their critical thinking skills and makes learning more engaging.

As for keeping my cool, I practice mindfulness and deep breathing when the situation gets a little heated or frustrating. That, and having an honest heart-to-heart talk with them about their feelings and mine helps dissipate the tension and keeps the learning environment positive.

I'm sure other parents have more ingenious strategies too!
Good on you for adopting an approach that encourages independence and critical thinking - every parent's goal is to help our kids develop into confident learners, beyond just mastering the textbooks' content. Mindfulness is a great tool; I should practice deep breathing myself when things get heated! It's encouraging to hear that many parents are deliberate in creating a positive learning environment despite the challenges. it's a constant learning curve for all of us.

That's true! Constant communication with the teachers is crucial; their insights can help us understand the current curriculum's nuances. I find it helpful to ask teachers directly about the specific strategies they recommend for helping our kids. And yes, encouraging our children to seek clarity from their teachers promotes independence - we don't want to be their first port of call every time!

Keeping a balanced perspective, especially when assisting multiple children, is essential. Setting manageable goals and having fun breaks in between can make the process less daunting. Otherwise, we risk burning out or becoming overly frustrated. Having a homework playlist with brain-boosting songs or a small reward system after completing a task might add some fun and motivation for everyone!
keeping things light-hearted and fun keeps the learning atmosphere pleasant for everybody! A little music and dance never hurt anyone 😝

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina

keeping things lighthearted and fun is a great tactic to ease the tension and make homework a more enjoyable experience for all. Using incentives wisely can go a long way too, though I'd caution against bribery, which may lead to unnecessary power struggles!

It's great to hear your take on this! having an open line of communication with teachers can help us understand the goals of the current education system. It's encouraging to know that there are thoughtful parents out there who are proactive in keeping themselves up-to-date!

The tips shared here make me confident that many children will benefit from these mindful and insightful strategies. I appreciate the inputs, everyone!

Good on you for adopting an approach that encourages independence and critical thinking - every parent's goal is to help our kids develop into confident learners, beyond just mastering the textbooks' content. Mindfulness is a great tool; I should practice deep breathing myself when things get heated! It's encouraging to hear that many parents are deliberate in creating a positive learning environment despite the challenges. it's a constant learning curve for all of us.
Yes, it's heartening to witness many parents' determination to cultivate curious and independent learners. With the education landscape changing rapidly, mindfulness comes in handy for all of us! It's a joy and challenge to navigate this new territory together.

It's a challenge and a constant learning curve! We're all equipping our children with skills needed to navigate an ever-changing world, so it's important to remember to keep up with the latest trends and methodologies. It's great to see so much enthusiasm here - let's share tips on how best to foster that curiosity and build their independent learning skills!

Reactions: bookworm
It's a challenge, and I think it's amazing how we adapt and equip our children with essential skills for the future. It's a constantly evolving process, so sharing tips on fostering curiosity and enhancing their independent learning abilities is crucial.

One thing I've found helpful is creating an engaging and distraction-free environment. Designate a specific area for studying where kids can have easy access to materials and resources without much distractions. Also, involving them in choosing the right tools and stationery seems to work wonders for their motivation levels.

We can also encourage them to become little teachers. Explaining concepts to siblings or even toys can help reinforce their understanding and boost their confidence. The role of encouragement cannot be overstated - praise and positive reinforcement go a long way in motivating kids. Using incentives wisely can have a great impact, especially for younger children.

Keeping up with the latest teaching methods is daunting, so it's beneficial to connect with other parents and teachers to understand the current approaches. We need to keep the lines of communication open and learn from each other.

What are some of your go-to strategies for stimulating independent learning and sustaining the motivation?

Creating a conducive study environment is so crucial, and I love the idea of involving kids in choosing their study tools - it's a great way to spark their interest and ownership of the process.

I totally agree with you on the role of encouragement - positive reinforcement can make such a huge difference in motivating kids and building their confidence. Using incentives wisely is a great tip, especially when tailored to each child's individual interests.

staying updated with new teaching methods is a challenge. Connecting with teachers and other parents, like you mentioned, is a great way to stay informed, exchange insights, and learn new strategies. Parent-teacher conferences suddenly become more meaningful and impactful when approached with this mindset.

For independent learning, I find that giving kids a say in choosing their tasks/topics within a curated list of options works well. It makes them feel autonomous while ensuring the focus remains on relevant skills and knowledge. And when possible, hands-on experiences and real-life exposure can really bring concepts to life, making learning more tangible and enjoyable.

Keeping the learning fun and engaging, and tying it to their everyday experiences, is key to sustaining motivation. Organised playdates centred around learning goals can also be a fun way to keep kids interested and invested.

Creating a conducive study environment is so crucial, and I love the idea of involving kids in choosing their study tools - it's a great way to spark their interest and ownership of the process.

I totally agree with you on the role of encouragement - positive reinforcement can make such a huge difference in motivating kids and building their confidence. Using incentives wisely is a great tip, especially when tailored to each child's individual interests.

staying updated with new teaching methods is a challenge. Connecting with teachers and other parents, like you mentioned, is a great way to stay informed, exchange insights, and learn new strategies. Parent-teacher conferences suddenly become more meaningful and impactful when approached with this mindset.

For independent learning, I find that giving kids a say in choosing their tasks/topics within a curated list of options works well. It makes them feel autonomous while ensuring the focus remains on relevant skills and knowledge. And when possible, hands-on experiences and real-life exposure can really bring concepts to life, making learning more tangible and enjoyable.

Keeping the learning fun and engaging, and tying it to their everyday experiences, is key to sustaining motivation. Organised playdates centred around learning goals can also be a fun way to keep kids interested and invested.
making learning fun is a great strategy that often goes a long way! Playful learning can create many positive associations and memories too.

Making it fun is a tactic that can work across so many scenarios - great point! It's amazing how creating a game or competition around the learning can engage kids, and before they know it - they've absorbed a lot without the drudgery!

Totally! Making learning fun is such an effective method, especially when the content seems daunting at first glance. Games are a brilliant way to pique their interest and motivate them to engage with the material. It's a fantastic feeling when you realize they're learning without even realizing it because they're having so much fun!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
Making it fun is a tactic that can work across so many scenarios - great point! It's amazing how creating a game or competition around the learning can engage kids, and before they know it - they've absorbed a lot without the drudgery!
adding an element of competition adds a fun twist to learning, and makes it more memorable too! It's like sneaky education. 😉

• Love
Reactions: luciana and mamamia
That's the idea! They'll thank us someday for these clever tactics.
some healthy educational tricks up our sleeves never hurt anybody! The trick is to keep them guessing and engaged.

Reactions: happyfeet
Keep their minds running and engaged through games like turning a boring revision session into a quiz competition. Make it more fun and interactive by using flashcards, which they can also use to play memory and matching games. Kids will never see learning as a chore if we make it fun!

Keep their minds running and engaged through games like turning a boring revision session into a quiz competition. Make it more fun and interactive by using flashcards, which they can also use to play memory and matching games. Kids will never see learning as a chore if we make it fun!
Good on you for understanding what grips kids' attention these days!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu