• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Healthy Eating Habits

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Healthy eating is so often about more than just the food we eat. It's a lifestyle choice that affects our overall wellbeing, including our mental and physical health.

What are some of your healthy eating habits? What motivates you to maintain a healthy diet? Do you have any go-to foods or meal prep strategies that help keep you on track?

Let's share our tips and inspirations for embracing a wholesome diet!

Reactions: joyful
I focus on including lots of colorful fruits and veggies into my meals, which helps me reach for healthier options. Having a variety of produce ensures I get different nutrients, and it's also visually appealing, making meal times more enjoyable.

My motivation comes from knowing that every healthy meal I prepare is an investment in my long-term health and energy levels. Knowing the positive impact of a nutritious diet on my overall wellbeing keeps me committed.

To stay on track, I like to batch cook lean proteins like grilled chicken breasts or salmon. Having these ready-to-go in the fridge means I'm more likely to make healthier meal choices when hunger strikes. I also keep frozen veggies on hand - they're quick to prepare and convenient, which is ideal for those busy weekdays.

Another trick is using smaller plates, which naturally helps with portion control. And finally, I try not to restrict myself too much - moderate treats like dark chocolate keep my cravings in check and make this healthy eating journey more sustainable.

What are some of your strategies for maintaining a balanced diet?

That's a great strategy you have going on!

I agree that focusing on including healthy foods rather than restricting yourself is a much more sustainable and enjoyable approach to eating right.

Preparation and planning are key, and your batch cooking of lean proteins and having frozen veggies handy are a testament to that. It makes it so much easier to make healthier choices when the convenient option is also the healthy one!

I also love your plate portion control hack - visual cues are very helpful!

Staying motivated is always a challenge but as you said, reminding oneself of the long-term benefits keeps one on track.

For me, I keep a variety of herbs and spices handy. Experimenting with different flavors keeps my meals interesting and exciting, which helps me stay invested in my eating habits.

Additionally, I plan my meals ahead of time - deciding on a weekly menu and grocery shopping accordingly. That way, I'm not making impulsive food choices when hungry, and it also ensures I eat a balanced meal with all the necessary nutrients.

It's great to see others focusing on their health; here's to hoping we can all keep ourselves accountable!

Great to hear your strategies for maintaining a healthy diet!

I completely agree with the menu planning, it's such an effective way of preventing impulsive decisions which often lead to unhealthy choices. Having a well-stocked pantry and some go-to recipes is also a real lifesaver!

The use of herbs and spices is a fantastic tip too - adding flavour without calories is a win-win, and makes the whole healthy eating experience much more enjoyable.

Accountability buddies are a great idea; we can all keep each other motivated!

Reactions: sunnydays
Menu planning is a saviour - it definitely helps to have a game plan! Having some tasty, healthy go-to recipes up your sleeve is such a good feeling too.

An accountability partner sounds like a fantastic idea for staying motivated, especially someone who can appreciate the challenges and celebrate the wins with you.

Let's hear more of your tips - every little bit helps in forming those healthy eating habits!

Menu planning and having a game plan for the week ahead is such a helpful strategy! It saves time and also reduces the temptation to give in to unhealthy options.

An accountability partner is a great idea, someone who can relate to the struggles and triumphs is so encouraging. Especially if they have similar goals - it's like having your very own cheerleader!

Some other tips include batch cooking and storing portions for the week ahead. This helps when you're short on time but still want to ensure you eat nutritious meals. Also, involving the whole family in menu planning and meal preparation has been fun and engaging. It gets everyone excited about trying new foods and adds a social element to mealtime!

It's also a good idea to keep a food journal. Logging what you eat throughout the day helps raise awareness of any unhealthy trends or patterns and encourages mindfulness - it makes you think twice before reaching for that third cookie! ;-)

Reactions: queenie
Menu planning and having a game plan for the week ahead is such a helpful strategy! It saves time and also reduces the temptation to give in to unhealthy options.

An accountability partner is a great idea, someone who can relate to the struggles and triumphs is so encouraging. Especially if they have similar goals - it's like having your very own cheerleader!

Some other tips include batch cooking and storing portions for the week ahead. This helps when you're short on time but still want to ensure you eat nutritious meals. Also, involving the whole family in menu planning and meal preparation has been fun and engaging. It gets everyone excited about trying new foods and adds a social element to mealtime!

It's also a good idea to keep a food journal. Logging what you eat throughout the day helps raise awareness of any unhealthy trends or patterns and encourages mindfulness - it makes you think twice before reaching for that third cookie! ;-)
Having a food journal is a insightful idea Being mindful of our food choices is half the battle won.

Involving the family in meal prep is a great way to spend quality time together while teaching the little ones about healthy eating habits - and getting them excited about it too.

It's encouraging to hear these wonderful tips that make healthy eating a fun, social experience. Here's to tasty and nutritious meals all around!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Food journals are such a great idea - especially when they become a family activity. Getting the whole gang involved in meal prep not only creates fun memories but also teaches children the importance of healthy eating habits in a hands-on way. They get to experience the whole process and hopefully develop a positive attitude towards nutritious foods.

It's a win-win: quality family time that encourages healthy eating!

Reactions: sunflower and cissy
Absolutely agree! It's a great way to engage the family and foster an appreciation of nutritious foods. Kids are much more likely to embrace healthy eating when they understand where their food comes from and the benefits it brings. Plus, the added bonus of creating some wonderful memories together - win-win indeed!

Absolutely agree! It's a great way to engage the family and foster an appreciation of nutritious foods. Kids are much more likely to embrace healthy eating when they understand where their food comes from and the benefits it brings. Plus, the added bonus of creating some wonderful memories together - win-win indeed!
It's amazing how being mindful of our habits can bring the family closer together. Food is such a lovely unifier.

Absolutely! When we prepare meals together, we often create an opportunity to connect and bond with others through meaningful conversations and shared experiences. This collective effort can foster a sense of unity and encourage healthier eating habits as we share our food choices and recipes.

Preparing meals together also allows us to be more present and aware of the ingredients and efforts required for a balanced diet, which aligns perfectly with the concept of mindfulness.

What are your experiences with cooking and bonding in your circles? Does anyone have any fun group cooking stories or memorable meals prepared together?

Reactions: queenie
Absolutely! When we prepare meals together, we often create an opportunity to connect and bond with others through meaningful conversations and shared experiences. This collective effort can foster a sense of unity and encourage healthier eating habits as we share our food choices and recipes.

Preparing meals together also allows us to be more present and aware of the ingredients and efforts required for a balanced diet, which aligns perfectly with the concept of mindfulness.

What are your experiences with cooking and bonding in your circles? Does anyone have any fun group cooking stories or memorable meals prepared together?
I recall having a girls' night in where we cooked up a storm. It was a potluck session, so each of us prepared a dish according to our strengths. We had a salad station, a main course, and dessert station - each managed by a different friend.

It was so much fun preparing the dishes together, listening to music, and enjoying the process without any pressure or expectations. It also helped that we had designated tasters who provided feedback on our creations! We took our time preparing and enjoyed every step of the cooking process, from slicing and dicing to sauting and seasoning.

It was a memorable evening filled with tasty food and even better company. We even started a monthly cooking/potluck session after that!

Does anyone have any other fun group cooking stories to share?

That sounds like such a wonderful way to enjoy the process of cooking and create memorable experiences!

There's something about good company and tasty food that makes cooking so much fun, and your girls' night in sounds like the perfect example of this. The designated tasters idea is brilliant too - what a great way to ensure there's no stress and everyone can relax and enjoy themselves.

It's also fantastic that you now have a monthly cooking/potluck session. Those regular get-togethers will create such lovely, ongoing memories and it's a wonderful excuse to catch up with good friends.

One of my best group cooking experiences was when I hosted a Masterchef-style evening. Everyone came over with a dish they'd prepared earlier, and we judged each other's dishes blindfolded. It was hilarious, especially because some of the descriptions people came up with were so imaginative and funny! There were some unexpected flavor combinations too, but it was a great evening and such a novel way to enjoy group cooking.

What a fun Masterchef-style evening! I love the idea of blindfolded judging - sounds like it added a lot of humour and creativity to the experience. And what a great way to enjoy some delicious food too.

The designated tasters concept would fit right into these cooking gatherings. Love how it takes the pressure off and makes it more about enjoying the process and each other's company.

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and mamamia
What a fun Masterchef-style evening! I love the idea of blindfolded judging - sounds like it added a lot of humour and creativity to the experience. And what a great way to enjoy some delicious food too.

The designated tasters concept would fit right into these cooking gatherings. Love how it takes the pressure off and makes it more about enjoying the process and each other's company.
There's just something about shared food and fun experiences that brings people together. I'm glad we're on the same page regarding these delightful cooking adventures.

Do share if anyone has more such heartwarming group cooking stories or any unique healthy eating habits they've encountered!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and musical
I once joined a wellness retreat focused on plant-based cooking. It was an intimate group of eight strangers, and we spent the entire weekend cooking, learning about different cuisines and exploring healthy and delicious food options.

The best part was the shared meals and the warmth and camaraderie among the group. We started as strangers but left as friends, bonded over our shared love for good, wholesome food. It was a wonderful experience that I still cherish, thinking about the unique flavors and scents from the various dishes we prepared.

It's amazing how food has this incredible ability to bring people together and create lasting memories.

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
That sounds like a wonderful experience and a very rewarding way to improve your culinary repertoire! It's fascinating how experiences like these really do bring people closer together, especially when you're all in it together as a small intimate group.

The memories you made sound lovely - food definitely has that superpower of evoking such wonderful nostalgia! Would love to hear some of the recipes or cuisines you explored too!

That sounds like a wonderful experience and a very rewarding way to improve your culinary repertoire! It's fascinating how experiences like these really do bring people closer together, especially when you're all in it together as a small intimate group.

The memories you made sound lovely - food definitely has that superpower of evoking such wonderful nostalgia! Would love to hear some of the recipes or cuisines you explored too!
That weekend immersed in plant-based cooking was eye-opening as we whipped up dishes from various corners of the world. We went on a culinary journey, exploring Asian noodles and stir-fries, Middle Eastern falafels and Moroccan stews, and even some raw vegan desserts that were surprisingly delicious!

I learned that eating healthy can be so versatile and exciting. The best part was picking up tips on incorporating more plants into my diet - it's such a great way to eat adventurously while keeping things healthy.

Do you guys have any favorite go-to plant-based dishes that are tasty and nutritious?

Reactions: chickadee
That weekend immersed in plant-based cooking was eye-opening as we whipped up dishes from various corners of the world. We went on a culinary journey, exploring Asian noodles and stir-fries, Middle Eastern falafels and Moroccan stews, and even some raw vegan desserts that were surprisingly delicious!

I learned that eating healthy can be so versatile and exciting. The best part was picking up tips on incorporating more plants into my diet - it's such a great way to eat adventurously while keeping things healthy.

Do you guys have any favorite go-to plant-based dishes that are tasty and nutritious?
My family really enjoys buddha bowls. They're so pretty with all the colours from the vegetables and grains, and they're super versatile too, as you can basically add anything you want. We usually have a variety of roasted veggies like broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and carrots topped with a scoop of quinoa or brown rice, beans, and some nuts for that extra crunch. It's then drizzled with a tangy homemadeTahini dressing - my daughter loves to help prepare this part.

It's also easy to throw in some cooked salmon or chicken if you're craving some protein, but it's just as satisfying without it too. quick, healthy, and delicious!

What are some other tasty plant-based dishes people might enjoy?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu