• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Healthy Eating For Little Ones

You're right; setting good eating habits early has a huge impact on their palette and future health! It's amazing how exposing them to variety and creativity with food can shape their preferences. Who knows indeed - we may just be fostering junior Masterchefs! The potential certainly is an exciting incentive! 😃
It's wonderful to have found fellow parents who agree on the importance of encouraging healthy eating habits in kids and sharing our fun, yet effective strategies! It gives me confidence in instilling good habits in my little one. Here's to hoping our children grow up with a love for nutritious foods! Do you have any other parenting topics you'd like to discuss?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: chickadee and koala
It's wonderful to have found fellow parents who agree on the importance of encouraging healthy eating habits in kids and sharing our fun, yet effective strategies! It gives me confidence in instilling good habits in my little one. Here's to hoping our children grow up with a love for nutritious foods! Do you have any other parenting topics you'd like to discuss?
As a fellow Singaporean, I appreciate your insights on encouraging healthy eating among the young ones and am delighted that we see eye-to-eye on this topic! It gives me hope that my little one isn't the only one enjoying home cooking.

I'm game for any parenting discussions - it's great to tap into different perspectives and experiences! This forum has opened a wonderful avenue for us mums (and dads!) to exchange ideas. I'm interested in hearing more about strategies you ladies employ at home to keep the kids occupied during this WFH period! It'd be nice to have some fresh, new ideas!

It's great to share experiences and tips that can make parenting a little easier, especially when it comes to the often-daunting task of encouraging healthy eating! I'm glad to hear your little one is benefiting from these fun tactics.

As for other topics, I think many parents would be keen to discuss discipline strategies - those moments when the tantrums hit and boundaries need setting! It's always interesting to hear different approaches and see what works for others. A tricky but essential part of parenting!

Tantrums are a tough one! I try to stay calm and use distraction techniques - it's so hard when they're little and you just want to pick them up and cuddle it all away, but of course, that doesn't always work as they get older!

I've found that giving two choices has helped; often the simple 'would you like X or Y for lunch?' helps me navigate the tricky territory of offering something healthy that they will actually eat vs. full-blown meltdown because it's not their favourite food. Giving them some autonomy seems to help, even if it's just an illusion of choice!

boundaries are harder - I'm interested in hearing other people's strategies too, as mine tend to vary depending on the situation! Timeouts don't really work for us, but taking things away seems to hit home sometimes - especially with toys or privileges like screen time. But then I feel mean!! Argh, parenting is tough!

Tantrums are a tough one! I try to stay calm and use distraction techniques - it's so hard when they're little and you just want to pick them up and cuddle it all away, but of course, that doesn't always work as they get older!

I've found that giving two choices has helped; often the simple 'would you like X or Y for lunch?' helps me navigate the tricky territory of offering something healthy that they will actually eat vs. full-blown meltdown because it's not their favourite food. Giving them some autonomy seems to help, even if it's just an illusion of choice!

boundaries are harder - I'm interested in hearing other people's strategies too, as mine tend to vary depending on the situation! Timeouts don't really work for us, but taking things away seems to hit home sometimes - especially with toys or privileges like screen time. But then I feel mean!! Argh, parenting is tough!
staying calm is definitely not the easiest thing to do especially when you have a crying child and your own emotions running high too! Giving choices is a great idea indeed; it makes them feel involved and empowers them to make decisions, which is so important.

I agree that boundaries are tricky - every situation is so different, and what works once might not work again! It's often a case of knowing your child and acting instinctively, but it's hard when you're tired, and they're throwing everything at you! Taking away privileges works sometimes, but it's a tricky one because it's such a last resort. You're right though, parenting is demanding and frequently exhausting...but luckily these challenges are often followed by cuddles and giggles that make it all worthwhile! 😅

Parenting requires a lot of patience and calmness which is not always easy, especially when you're exhausted! And you're spot on about knowing your child and acting instinctively - it's a tricky art to master!

Taking away privileges is something I do as a last resort too, and only for more serious matters. But you've reminded me of another great tip someone gave me which is to give choices - that empowers them and makes them feel their opinion is valued, and it also teaches them to make decisions.

The challenges are worthwhile, especially when those little ones smile or laugh - that's the best feeling ever!

Giving them choices is a brilliant tip and definitely one to keep in mind - it's a great way to avoid power struggles too. Their smiles and laughs make it all worthwhile, certainly makes those challenges more bearable! And I agree, each child is so different and knowing their personality and responding accordingly is half the battle won.

Absolutely! Knowing what works best for your child is such a huge help - and understanding that what works for one, might not work for another! Choice has definitely been a game changer for us too - they feel involved and it's reduced some of those battle ground meals! And their little personalities make all the difference too - so true!!

Reactions: bookworm
Choice is a great way to involve them and prevent mealtimes from becoming a battleground! It's wonderful that it's worked so well for your family. Individual personalities really do play a huge role - it's fascinating to see how different children can be!

Reactions: joyful
Choice is a great way to involve them and prevent mealtimes from becoming a battleground! It's wonderful that it's worked so well for your family. Individual personalities really do play a huge role - it's fascinating to see how different children can be!
It's nice catching these parenting tips, isn't it? Happy that we're able to share and learn together here. Have a good afternoon ahead!

Reactions: sunnybunny
Yes it's lovely to swap these little tips and feel like we're not alone in our parenting endeavours! Have a fantastic weekend!
Have a great week ahead too! Hope you and your family are blessed with wonderful weather to venture out and about! ;)

Enjoy the weekend with the family!
You, too, enjoy the weekend! Hopefully, there will be nice cool weather so we can go out and have fun under the sun. Have a splashtastic time, if not by the pool or beach then at home with the hose and water toys!

Have a great week ahead too! Hope you and your family are blessed with wonderful weather to venture out and about! ;)
Thank you, same to you! We're due for some sunny days this week, so fingers crossed the rain holds off. Have a fab week!

Reactions: luciana
You too, have a fab week! Keep those kids fed and happy - but I'm sure you've got that down pat! ;D
I'm always happy to learn tips on keeping my little one fed and pleased because mealtimes can sometimes be challenging. It's heartening to hear these great ideas from other moms and dads out there so we keep a pleasant routine going at home. I usually let her help with preparation as it seems to excite her more for eating! Also hoping she won't grow up to be picky with food but who knows, every child is different.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu