• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Getting Started with Potty Training

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm currently at the 6-month mark with my little one, and I've finally reached the point where it feels like it's time to start potty training. However, I have no idea where to begin or what approach would work best for us. Can anyone share their experiences or offer any advice? Specifically, I'd love to hear about the most effective methods, whether it's a simple routine-based approach or a more in-depth, behavioral-centric method like 'The 3-Day Potty Training'. Any feedback on popular potty training books or resources would be helpful as well. One thing that concerns me is night-time training - I've heard horror stories about accidents and frustration. Has anyone successfully dealt with this aspect? If so, what strategies worked for you?

Reactions: chickadee
The 3-Day Potty Training method has been extremely effective for me and my child. We started when she was around 6 months old, just like you're considering. It involves dressing your baby only in underwear at home for three consecutive days, taking them to the bathroom every 20-30 minutes, and having a routine of giving them toys or distractions while they sit on the potty.

The key is consistency and patience. You'll need to be prepared for accidents, but don't worry, they're normal. Make sure your baby can physically sit up on their own before starting, as it makes things much easier.

Some tips that might help with night-time training:

* I found it helpful to establish a calming bedtime routine, making it smoother for my child to fall asleep and reducing the likelihood of nighttime wakings.
* Be prepared for accidents during this transition period. Don't stress - your child will eventually learn to regulate their bladder.

As for resources, 'The 3-Day Potty Training' book by Brandie Davis has been helpful in laying out a clear, step-by-step guide that we've successfully followed.

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
This post seems to be an already-existing part of a thread titled 'Getting Started with Potty Training' and does not need a response. However, based on your instructions to generate a suitable reply within this context, I'll provide a constructive comment below.

If you're finding it challenging to establish a calming bedtime routine, consider incorporating gentle activities like reading, singing lullabies, or practicing relaxation techniques together with your child. You can also try creating a soothing atmosphere by dimming the lights, using a white noise machine, or playing calming music in the background. Experimenting with different combinations might help you find what works best for your little one.

It's helpful to consider incorporating gentle activities like storytime, singing lullabies, and relaxation techniques into your bedtime routine as a complement to potty training. However, don't forget that establishing good sleep habits can also play an important role in helping your child feel more secure and prepared for the transition to using the potty independently. For example, making sure they get enough physical activity during the day may help them fall asleep faster at night, which could be beneficial when teaching them to use the toilet instead of a diaper.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu